Semantic wiki development: any XWiki related papers?

Semantic wiki development: any XWiki related papers?

Julien Bourdon
Hi all!

First of all, let me introduce myself. My name is Julien Bourdon and I
study at the University of Sheffield.

My research team currently works on a semantic wiki implementation for
the UK Environment Agency knowledge management system. We chose XWiki
as a wiki layer since it's open-source, well maintained, written in
Java and used in corporate environments.

However, when we ran through the source code, we could not find any
specified documentation. We checked the DevGuide on xwiki.org but the
javadoc looks empty.

Do you know where we could find any precise documentation about XWiki
general architecture, any papers presented in conference or whatever?
Any language would be fine since our team is international (I mean
even in French since I'm French).

Thanks a lot!

--
   _   _               Julien Bourdon
  (o)(o)--.          http://purl.org/net/JulienBourdon

Re: Semantic wiki development: any XWiki related papers?

Julien Bourdon
Rehi !

Actually the latest mails (the thread started by Brian) on the user
mailing-lists answer to my questions. I should have used the
xwiki-users for this request too. We'll do our best to contribute to
the documentation effort.

Sorry for the useless traffic on the mailing-list!

--
    _   _               Julien Bourdon
   (o)(o)--.          http://purl.org/net/JulienBourdon
     \../   (  )         self isAddictedTo:(#Squeak&#linux)
   m\/m--m'`--.   ^true

Re: Semantic wiki development: any XWiki related papers?

Stéphane Laurière
Hi Julien,

At Mandriva we are also very much interested in contributing to the
addition of semantic features to XWiki. As a matter of fact, Mandriva is
taking part in the Nepomuk and SemanticDesktop.org projects that aim at
defining standards for working with semantic wikis, as well as
open-source implementations of these standards:

http://nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org/
http://www.semanticdesktop.org
-> feel free to register an account on the latter and to let the
community know more about your project!

You may also be interested in following links:
http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Dev/SemanticFeatures
in particular WikiModel,http://wikimodel.sourceforge.net/, an open
source semantic wiki parser developed by Cognium Systems, participating
in Nepomuk (I'm copying Mikhail, author of WikiModel).

The way researchers, XWiki team and the broad community may participate
in the APIs being defined within Nepomuk is currently being discussed.
We'll post some updates about this on Nepomuk web site and to this list.

Stéphane

Julien Bourdon wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> First of all, let me introduce myself. My name is Julien Bourdon and
> I study at the University of Sheffield.
>
> My research team currently works on a semantic wiki implementation
> for the UK Environment Agency knowledge management system. We chose
> XWiki as a wiki layer since it's open-source, well maintained,
> written in Java and used in corporate environments.
>
> However, when we ran through the source code, we could not find any
> specified documentation. We checked the DevGuide on xwiki.org but the
>  javadoc looks empty.
>
> Do you know where we could find any precise documentation about XWiki
>  general architecture, any papers presented in conference or
> whatever? Any language would be fine since our team is international
> (I mean even in French since I'm French).
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> -- _   _               Julien Bourdon (o)(o)--.
> http://purl.org/net/JulienBourdon \../   (  )         self
> isAddictedTo:(#Squeak&#linux) m\/m--m'`--.   ^true

Re: Re: Semantic wiki development: any XWiki related papers?

This is in no way useless. We are of course highly interested to know
what people are doing with XWiki, especially when it is as interesting
as semantic wiki !
Concerning documentation the best user doc is in the FAQ on xwiki.com
For technical documentation it should indeed be much much better.
XWiki.org is still the best. We do want to work on better javadocs.
You should have a look at the video on the xwiki blog at
http://blog.xwiki.com of our presentation at the ObjectWeb conf.

We also have the possibility to provide trainings both on the internals
and on how to develop with XWiki. For contributors we can have very
reasonable pricing or even if the opportunity allows it invite you to
some existing trainings.

We do want to provide better support to developers and especially
contributors. We are very open to suggestions on how we could do this.

Ludovic