Shibbing XWiki

Alistair Young
Hi there,

I've been looking at "shibbing" XWiki - i.e. turning it into a
Shibboleth compatible Service Provider. I've done that bit, using the
Guanxi system:

http://guanxi.uhi.ac.uk/xwiki

The goal of "shibbing" xwiki is to allow users from certain named
institutions to automatically login to xwiki and have an account
created on the fly, based on their attributes. What this involves is
two steps:

1) Protect an XWiki Shibboleth Login page with Guanxi - I've done that
2) Based on the SAML Assertion from their Identity Provider,
authenticate them - I've done that too (almost!)
3) Create them an account on the fly once authentication succeeds.
The information required to create an account (username etc.) would
come from their Identity Provider in SAML Attribute Assertions. I've
still to do this.

What I'm wondering is there a way to create users on the fly without
having an XWikiContext? What I'd like to do is create a new class
that can create XWiki users directly.

The goal of Guanxi + XWiki is an XWiki at, say UHI Millennium
Institute that will allow users at the University of Leeds or Oxford
who are software developers to login automatically, using their Leeds
or Oxford username, with their accounts being created on the fly, so
they don't need to register.

I've done about 80% of the work, I just need a cleaner way of
creating users without having to use the XWikiContext and request
parameter maps etc.

Hope you can help,

thanks,

Alistair

Re: Shibbing XWiki

zuzur
Not sure my response isappropriate, but did you look at the unit tests
? They should provide enough mock-up examples for you to duplicate ...

I may be totally wrong, as always :)

Erwan

On 11/29/05, Alistair Young <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I've been looking at "shibbing" XWiki - i.e. turning it into a
> Shibboleth compatible Service Provider. I've done that bit, using the
> Guanxi system:
>
> http://guanxi.uhi.ac.uk/xwiki
>
> The goal of "shibbing" xwiki is to allow users from certain named
> institutions to automatically login to xwiki and have an account
> created on the fly, based on their attributes. What this involves is
> two steps:
>
> 1) Protect an XWiki Shibboleth Login page with Guanxi - I've done that
> 2) Based on the SAML Assertion from their Identity Provider,
> authenticate them - I've done that too (almost!)
> 3) Create them an account on the fly once authentication succeeds.
> The information required to create an account (username etc.) would
> come from their Identity Provider in SAML Attribute Assertions. I've
> still to do this.
>
> What I'm wondering is there a way to create users on the fly without
> having an XWikiContext? What I'd like to do is create a new class
> that can create XWiki users directly.
>
> The goal of Guanxi + XWiki is an XWiki at, say UHI Millennium
> Institute that will allow users at the University of Leeds or Oxford
> who are software developers to login automatically, using their Leeds
> or Oxford username, with their accounts being created on the fly, so
> they don't need to register.
>
> I've done about 80% of the work, I just need a cleaner way of
> creating users without having to use the XWikiContext and request
> parameter maps etc.
>
> Hope you can help,
>
> thanks,
>
> Alistair

Re: Shibbing XWiki

Alistair Young
thanks Erwan - I haven't looked there - will do that now - looks like
com.xpn.xwiki.test.UserTest might be useful

Alistair

On 29 Nov 2005, at 16:18, Erwan Arzur wrote:

> Not sure my response isappropriate, but did you look at the unit tests
> ? They should provide enough mock-up examples for you to duplicate ...
>
> I may be totally wrong, as always :)
>
> Erwan
>
> On 11/29/05, Alistair Young <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I've been looking at "shibbing" XWiki - i.e. turning it into a
>> Shibboleth compatible Service Provider. I've done that bit, using the
>> Guanxi system:
>>
>> http://guanxi.uhi.ac.uk/xwiki
>>
>> The goal of "shibbing" xwiki is to allow users from certain named
>> institutions to automatically login to xwiki and have an account
>> created on the fly, based on their attributes. What this involves is
>> two steps:
>>
>> 1) Protect an XWiki Shibboleth Login page with Guanxi - I've done
>> that
>> 2) Based on the SAML Assertion from their Identity Provider,
>> authenticate them - I've done that too (almost!)
>> 3) Create them an account on the fly once authentication succeeds.
>> The information required to create an account (username etc.) would
>> come from their Identity Provider in SAML Attribute Assertions. I've
>> still to do this.
>>
>> What I'm wondering is there a way to create users on the fly without
>> having an XWikiContext? What I'd like to do is create a new class
>> that can create XWiki users directly.
>>
>> The goal of Guanxi + XWiki is an XWiki at, say UHI Millennium
>> Institute that will allow users at the University of Leeds or Oxford
>> who are software developers to login automatically, using their Leeds
>> or Oxford username, with their accounts being created on the fly, so
>> they don't need to register.
>>
>> I've done about 80% of the work, I just need a cleaner way of
>> creating users without having to use the XWikiContext and request
>> parameter maps etc.
>>
>> Hope you can help,
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> Alistair
>>

>> --
>> You receive this message as a subscriber of the xwiki-

> You receive this message as a subscriber of the xwiki-
> wws

Re: Shibbing XWiki

zuzur
I feel that a good unit test coverage a is a good replacement for most
of a technical documentation.

I've always been very bad at writing them  ... :)

Erwan

On 11/29/05, Alistair Young <[hidden email]> wrote:

> thanks Erwan - I haven't looked there - will do that now - looks like
> com.xpn.xwiki.test.UserTest might be useful
>
> Alistair
>
> On 29 Nov 2005, at 16:18, Erwan Arzur wrote:
>
> > Not sure my response isappropriate, but did you look at the unit tests
> > ? They should provide enough mock-up examples for you to duplicate ...
> >
> > I may be totally wrong, as always :)
> >
> > Erwan
> >
> > On 11/29/05, Alistair Young <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Hi there,
> >>
> >> I've been looking at "shibbing" XWiki - i.e. turning it into a
> >> Shibboleth compatible Service Provider. I've done that bit, using the
> >> Guanxi system:
> >>
> >> http://guanxi.uhi.ac.uk/xwiki
> >>
> >> The goal of "shibbing" xwiki is to allow users from certain named
> >> institutions to automatically login to xwiki and have an account
> >> created on the fly, based on their attributes. What this involves is
> >> two steps:
> >>
> >> 1) Protect an XWiki Shibboleth Login page with Guanxi - I've done
> >> that
> >> 2) Based on the SAML Assertion from their Identity Provider,
> >> authenticate them - I've done that too (almost!)
> >> 3) Create them an account on the fly once authentication succeeds.
> >> The information required to create an account (username etc.) would
> >> come from their Identity Provider in SAML Attribute Assertions. I've
> >> still to do this.
> >>
> >> What I'm wondering is there a way to create users on the fly without
> >> having an XWikiContext? What I'd like to do is create a new class
> >> that can create XWiki users directly.
> >>
> >> The goal of Guanxi + XWiki is an XWiki at, say UHI Millennium
> >> Institute that will allow users at the University of Leeds or Oxford
> >> who are software developers to login automatically, using their Leeds
> >> or Oxford username, with their accounts being created on the fly, so
> >> they don't need to register.
> >>
> >> I've done about 80% of the work, I just need a cleaner way of
> >> creating users without having to use the XWikiContext and request
> >> parameter maps etc.
> >>
> >> Hope you can help,
> >>
> >> thanks,
> >>
> >> Alistair
> >>

> >> --
> >> You receive this message as a subscriber of the xwiki-

> > You receive this message as a subscriber of the xwiki-
> > wws

Re: Shibbing XWiki

Alistair Young
> I feel that a good unit test coverage a is a good replacement for most
> of a technical documentation.
yep, me too! XWikiTest is what I'm looking for. Will let you know how I
get on.

Alistair

--
Alistair Young