Quantcast

Should we provide a jetty/hsqldb package of Knowledge Base flavor ?

Should we provide a jetty/hsqldb package of Knowledge Base flavor ?

Hi dev,

The title say it all.

The whole point of Knowledge Base flavor move is to stop maintaining a
set of install packages and only provide the flavor.

Now it could be a pain for testers to have to install the flavor every
time so we might still release a jetty/hsqldb package but not list it
on http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/Download for example.

WDYT ?

I would prefer to avoid that but I can understand if others think it's required.

Re: Should we provide a jetty/hsqldb package of Knowledge Base flavor ?

Hi Thomas,

> On 4 Apr 2017, at 11:48, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi dev,
>
> The title say it all.
>
> The whole point of Knowledge Base flavor move is to stop maintaining a
> set of install packages and only provide the flavor.

For me there’s a difference between the flavor and the packaging we propose. The goal of the flavor is not stop maintaining packagings but to offer various content

> Now it could be a pain for testers to have to install the flavor every
> time so we might still release a jetty/hsqldb package but not list it
> on http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/Download for example.
>
> WDYT ?

This packaging is one of the most widely used because it’s one of the simplest to get started with XWiki.

See the green share on http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/temp/space/page/chart/1795539013.png

So I think we should definitely keep it.

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 12:11 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
>> On 4 Apr 2017, at 11:48, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi dev,
>>
>> The title say it all.
>>
>> The whole point of Knowledge Base flavor move is to stop maintaining a
>> set of install packages and only provide the flavor.
>
> For me there’s a difference between the flavor and the packaging we propose. The goal of the flavor is not stop maintaining packagings but to offer various content

It's possible you are mixing stuff here. I'm not talking about stop
providing any jetty/hsqldb package, you would have the XWiki one on
which you are asked which flavor you want. I'm only talking about a
special Knowledge Base one.

>> Now it could be a pain for testers to have to install the flavor every
>> time so we might still release a jetty/hsqldb package but not list it
>> on http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/Download for example.
>>
>> WDYT ?
>
> This packaging is one of the most widely used because it’s one of the simplest to get started with XWiki.
>
> See the green share on http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/temp/space/page/chart/1795539013.png
>
> So I think we should definitely keep it.

>> I would prefer to avoid that but I can understand if others think it's required.

>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: Should we provide a jetty/hsqldb package of Knowledge Base flavor ?

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
My vision is that in the future we will have more Flavors supported, not
just the KB one.
I'm sure we would want to have at least one more flavor for Development,
for example.
So what will be the strategy? will we provide packaging for all the
"support" Flavors? The argument would be the same, having the jetty package
will be easier to use and test on it.

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 1:18 PM, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 12:11 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Hi Thomas,
> >
> >> On 4 Apr 2017, at 11:48, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi dev,
> >>
> >> The title say it all.
> >>
> >> The whole point of Knowledge Base flavor move is to stop maintaining a
> >> set of install packages and only provide the flavor.
> >
> > For me there’s a difference between the flavor and the packaging we
> propose. The goal of the flavor is not stop maintaining packagings but to
> offer various content
>
> It's possible you are mixing stuff here. I'm not talking about stop
> providing any jetty/hsqldb package, you would have the XWiki one on
> which you are asked which flavor you want. I'm only talking about a
> special Knowledge Base one.
>

> >> Now it could be a pain for testers to have to install the flavor every
> >> time so we might still release a jetty/hsqldb package but not list it
> >> on http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/Download for example.
> >>
> >> WDYT ?
> >
> > This packaging is one of the most widely used because it’s one of the
> simplest to get started with XWiki.
> >
> > See the green share on http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/
> bin/temp/space/page/chart/1795539013.png
> >
> > So I think we should definitely keep it.

> >> I would prefer to avoid that but I can understand if others think it's
> required.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> --
> >> Thomas Mortagne

Re: Should we provide a jetty/hsqldb package of Knowledge Base flavor ?

Eduard Moraru
Hi,

I would like to see a single download on the XWiki Download page: XWiki.

This distribution should be a minimal distribution (in various formats:
war/jetty+hsqldb/deb/etc.) that has the minimal stuff required for EM+DW to
function, to launch the Flavor selection screen and to install a Flavor.
Installing the Standard/Default/KB flavor will install, as dependency, the
Base Flavor and everything will be brought in with EM.

This is what I remember to be the original plan for the Flavors effort and
I`m still +1 for it.

Thanks,
Eduard

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 2:08 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 2:34 PM, Eduard Moraru <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to see a single download on the XWiki Download page: XWiki.
>
> This distribution should be a minimal distribution (in various formats:
> war/jetty+hsqldb/deb/etc.) that has the minimal stuff required for EM+DW to
> function, to launch the Flavor selection screen and to install a Flavor.
> Installing the Standard/Default/KB flavor will install, as dependency, the
> Base Flavor and everything will be brought in with EM.
>
> This is what I remember to be the original plan for the Flavors effort and
> I`m still +1 for it.

This is the plan (at least it's mine :)) but that does not really
answer the question: should we maintain a jetty/hsqldb package of the
KB flavor for testers who knows where to get it.

> Thanks,
> Eduard
>
> On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 2:08 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]
>> wrote:
>
>> My vision is that in the future we will have more Flavors supported, not
>> just the KB one.
>> I'm sure we would want to have at least one more flavor for Development,
>> for example.
>> So what will be the strategy? will we provide packaging for all the
>> "support" Flavors? The argument would be the same, having the jetty package
>> will be easier to use and test on it.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Caty
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 1:18 PM, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]
>> >
>> wrote:

>> > propose. The goal of the flavor is not stop maintaining packagings but to
>> > offer various content
>> >
>> > It's possible you are mixing stuff here. I'm not talking about stop
>> > providing any jetty/hsqldb package, you would have the XWiki one on
>> > which you are asked which flavor you want. I'm only talking about a
>> > special Knowledge Base one.

>> > simplest to get started with XWiki.

>> > bin/temp/space/page/chart/1795539013.png

>> > required.

>> > --
>> > Thomas Mortagne

Re: Should we provide a jetty/hsqldb package of Knowledge Base flavor ?

Guillaume Delhumeau
I think it would be useful even for developers. Having only a zip to get to
run the latest XWiki Standard flavor and starting working with, and a
single place to put our patched JARS instead of looking at the good
location on extensions/repository, would definitively make our life easier.

However, this might be easy to create with the packager plugin for people
(like me) who need it.

Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
Committer on the XWiki.org project