Slightly improved default pdf export look and feel

Slightly improved default pdf export look and feel

Anca Luca
Hello devs,

I've whipped up quickly a couple of changes to the default PDF export of
the XWiki platform, to try to make it look a little nicer.
I created the issue here https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-15761 and the
pull request here https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/pull/900 .
I would like to merge that into master unless somebody has something
against it, so please speak up now.

Longer story:
I know that "nicer" is a subjective term, and that a lot more can be done
to improve this default PDF export. My idea was that the current defaults
we have (for the font family, for example, or the information we display in
the pdf header/footer and the style associated) are not the result of an
actual studied choice, iirc they are just defaults that were set like that
in the first version of that export and never changed. Thus, I don't see
why we couldn't slightly change these defaults (without changing the
information displayed or risking regressions) to have a slightly better
looking default PDF, while still allowing all customizations just they way
they worked before.
These modifications are not blocking nor replacing in any way the more
serious improvements that can be done on the PDF export, they're just
slightly improving the current defaults.

Best regards,
Anca

Re: Slightly improved default pdf export look and feel

Hi Anca,

Thanks for working on this.

 I wanted to quickly check it out so I went to the jira issue. What would have been nice would have been to have two 2 PDF exports (one before and one after), or simply 2 screenshots. Just to see visually what the changes you made are looking like. But if you don’t have the time for this, don’t worry, we can work with the text/PR. However, if you had some screenshots, it could go in the Release notes to show the improvements to the user.

> On 21 Oct 2018, at 01:50, Anca Luca <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello devs,
>
> I've whipped up quickly a couple of changes to the default PDF export of
> the XWiki platform, to try to make it look a little nicer.
> I created the issue here https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-15761 and the
> pull request here https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/pull/900 .
> I would like to merge that into master unless somebody has something
> against it, so please speak up now.
>
> Longer story:
> I know that "nicer" is a subjective term, and that a lot more can be done
> to improve this default PDF export. My idea was that the current defaults
> we have (for the font family, for example, or the information we display in
> the pdf header/footer and the style associated) are not the result of an
> actual studied choice, iirc they are just defaults that were set like that
> in the first version of that export and never changed. Thus, I don't see
> why we couldn't slightly change these defaults (without changing the
> information displayed or risking regressions) to have a slightly better
> looking default PDF, while still allowing all customizations just they way
> they worked before.
> These modifications are not blocking nor replacing in any way the more
> serious improvements that can be done on the PDF export, they're just
> slightly improving the current defaults.
>
> Best regards,
> Anca

Re: Slightly improved default pdf export look and feel

Anca Luca
Hello Vincent,

done, I attached the same page exported with the previous export, for
comparison.

On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 12:41 AM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Anca,
>
> Thanks for working on this.
>
>  I wanted to quickly check it out so I went to the jira issue. What would
> have been nice would have been to have two 2 PDF exports (one before and
> one after), or simply 2 screenshots. Just to see visually what the changes
> you made are looking like. But if you don’t have the time for this, don’t
> worry, we can work with the text/PR. However, if you had some screenshots,
> it could go in the Release notes to show the improvements to the user.

> > On 21 Oct 2018, at 01:50, Anca Luca <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hello devs,
> >
> > I've whipped up quickly a couple of changes to the default PDF export of
> > the XWiki platform, to try to make it look a little nicer.
> > I created the issue here https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-15761 and
> the
> > pull request here https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/pull/900 .
> > I would like to merge that into master unless somebody has something
> > against it, so please speak up now.
> >
> > Longer story:
> > I know that "nicer" is a subjective term, and that a lot more can be done
> > to improve this default PDF export. My idea was that the current defaults
> > we have (for the font family, for example, or the information we display
> in
> > the pdf header/footer and the style associated) are not the result of an
> > actual studied choice, iirc they are just defaults that were set like
> that
> > in the first version of that export and never changed. Thus, I don't see
> > why we couldn't slightly change these defaults (without changing the
> > information displayed or risking regressions) to have a slightly better
> > looking default PDF, while still allowing all customizations just they
> way
> > they worked before.
> > These modifications are not blocking nor replacing in any way the more
> > serious improvements that can be done on the PDF export, they're just
> > slightly improving the current defaults.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Anca

Re: Slightly improved default pdf export look and feel

Anca Luca
Hello all,

as promised, the pull request is now merged (for 10.10-rc-1) and documented
in the release notes for users.

Anca

On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 8:58 PM Anca Luca <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Vincent,
>
> done, I attached the same page exported with the previous export, for
> comparison.
>
> On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 12:41 AM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Anca,
>>
>> Thanks for working on this.
>>
>>  I wanted to quickly check it out so I went to the jira issue. What would
>> have been nice would have been to have two 2 PDF exports (one before and
>> one after), or simply 2 screenshots. Just to see visually what the changes
>> you made are looking like. But if you don’t have the time for this, don’t
>> worry, we can work with the text/PR. However, if you had some screenshots,
>> it could go in the Release notes to show the improvements to the user.

>> > On 21 Oct 2018, at 01:50, Anca Luca <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hello devs,
>> >
>> > I've whipped up quickly a couple of changes to the default PDF export of
>> > the XWiki platform, to try to make it look a little nicer.
>> > I created the issue here https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-15761 and
>> the
>> > pull request here https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/pull/900 .
>> > I would like to merge that into master unless somebody has something
>> > against it, so please speak up now.
>> >
>> > Longer story:
>> > I know that "nicer" is a subjective term, and that a lot more can be
>> done
>> > to improve this default PDF export. My idea was that the current
>> defaults
>> > we have (for the font family, for example, or the information we
>> display in
>> > the pdf header/footer and the style associated) are not the result of an
>> > actual studied choice, iirc they are just defaults that were set like
>> that
>> > in the first version of that export and never changed. Thus, I don't see
>> > why we couldn't slightly change these defaults (without changing the
>> > information displayed or risking regressions) to have a slightly better
>> > looking default PDF, while still allowing all customizations just they
>> way
>> > they worked before.
>> > These modifications are not blocking nor replacing in any way the more
>> > serious improvements that can be done on the PDF export, they're just
>> > slightly improving the current defaults.
>> >
>> > Best regards,
>> > Anca

Re: Slightly improved default pdf export look and feel

Thanks Anca!
-Vincent

> On 18 Nov 2018, at 11:26, Anca Luca <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> as promised, the pull request is now merged (for 10.10-rc-1) and documented
> in the release notes for users.
>
> Anca
>
> On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 8:58 PM Anca Luca <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello Vincent,
>>
>> done, I attached the same page exported with the previous export, for
>> comparison.
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 12:41 AM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Anca,
>>>
>>> Thanks for working on this.
>>>
>>> I wanted to quickly check it out so I went to the jira issue. What would
>>> have been nice would have been to have two 2 PDF exports (one before and
>>> one after), or simply 2 screenshots. Just to see visually what the changes
>>> you made are looking like. But if you don’t have the time for this, don’t
>>> worry, we can work with the text/PR. However, if you had some screenshots,
>>> it could go in the Release notes to show the improvements to the user.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> -Vincent

>>> the

>>> done
>>> defaults
>>> display in
>>> that
>>> way

Re: Slightly improved default pdf export look and feel

> On 18 Nov 2018, at 14:07, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks Anca!

One detail, I see no commits on https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-15761

Did you commit without referencing the jira issue? (didn’t check).

Maybe you could fix it by commenting in the jira issue with a link to the commit?

>> On 18 Nov 2018, at 11:26, Anca Luca <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> as promised, the pull request is now merged (for 10.10-rc-1) and documented
>> in the release notes for users.
>>
>> Anca
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 8:58 PM Anca Luca <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Vincent,
>>>
>>> done, I attached the same page exported with the previous export, for
>>> comparison.

Re: Slightly improved default pdf export look and feel

> On 18 Nov 2018, at 14:09, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 18 Nov 2018, at 14:07, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Anca!
>
> One detail, I see no commits on https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-15761
>
> Did you commit without referencing the jira issue? (didn’t check).

Just checked and it’s weird since the jira ref is there:
https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/commit/19d4f104f5f0da385d3871b3f8e9281996b416a5

Maybe we have a bug in the jira/github linking…

> Maybe you could fix it by commenting in the jira issue with a link to the commit?

>>> On 18 Nov 2018, at 11:26, Anca Luca <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> as promised, the pull request is now merged (for 10.10-rc-1) and documented
>>> in the release notes for users.
>>>
>>> Anca

Re: Slightly improved default pdf export look and feel

Forget it!

You need to be logged to see the commits… weird…

Works fine, sorry for the noise…
-vincent