Something wrong with extension repository

Something wrong with extension repository

Roman Muntyanu
Hello,

  I'm trying to install extensions from XWiki repository and receive error on requesting this page
   http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/rest/repository/search?start=0&number=20&q=Excel

  See the screen-shot:

  So it looks like the repository is down.

  Regards,
Roman

Re: Something wrong with extension repository

Seems to work well for me.

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 6:52 AM, coldserenity <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   I'm trying to install extensions from XWiki repository and receive error
> on requesting this page
>
> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/rest/repository/search?start=0&number=20&q=Excel

Note that this error is "expected" and is caused by a Restlet bug with
browsers. We need to upgrade xwiki.org to a more recent version.

>   See the screen-shot:
> http://xwiki.475771.n2.nabble.com/file/n7580356/Status_page_-_Mozilla_Firefox_2012-07-15_07-47-46.png
>
>   So it looks like the repository is down.
>
>   Regards,
> Roman

Re: Something wrong with extension repository

Roman Muntyanu
We have tried it from different cities in Ukraine.
All return internal server error.

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 6:52 AM, coldserenity <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   I'm trying to install extensions from XWiki repository and receive
> error on requesting this page
>
> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/rest/repository/search?start=0&numbe
> r=20&q=Excel

Note that this error is "expected" and is caused by a Restlet bug with browsers. We need to upgrade xwiki.org to a more recent version.

>   See the screen-shot:
> http://xwiki.475771.n2.nabble.com/file/n7580356/Status_page_-_Mozilla_
> Firefox_2012-07-15_07-47-46.png
>
>   So it looks like the repository is down.
>
>   Regards,
> Roman

Re: Something wrong with extension repository

All I can say is that I can search extensions when I'm in a fresh
Extension Manager so the server definitely works well. To bypass the
Restlet bug you need to put "application/xml" as Accept header and
only this one (browser also put html mime type first).

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 12:20 PM, Roman Muntyanu
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> We have tried it from different cities in Ukraine.
> All return internal server error.

Indeed, setting header param 'Accept: application/xml' I receive proper response.

I'm able to wget the page with following command
  wget --header='Accept: application/xml' 'http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/rest/repository/search?start=0&number=20&q=Excel'

However XWiki does not see the repository (I get connection refused). Which I believe is related to wiki sitting behind corporate proxy.

How do I tell XWiki to use proxy for outbound connections?

(I previously have it set in the /etc/environment file and also exported from command line, which does not help anymore)

All I can say is that I can search extensions when I'm in a fresh Extension Manager so the server definitely works well. To bypass the Restlet bug you need to put "application/xml" as Accept header and only this one (browser also put html mime type first).

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 12:20 PM, Roman Muntyanu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We have tried it from different cities in Ukraine.
> All return internal server error.

XWiki use default Java proxy configuration through Apache httpclient.
See http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/net/proxies.html
for more details.

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Roman Muntyanu
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Indeed, setting header param 'Accept: application/xml' I receive proper response.
>
> I'm able to wget the page with following command
>   wget --header='Accept: application/xml' 'http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/rest/repository/search?start=0&number=20&q=Excel'
>
> However XWiki does not see the repository (I get connection refused). Which I believe is related to wiki sitting behind corporate proxy.
>
> How do I tell XWiki to use proxy for outbound connections?
>
> (I previously have it set in the /etc/environment file and also exported from command line, which does not help anymore)

Problem solved.

I've modified /<tomcat-home>/bin/catalina.sh and added proxies to JAVA_OPTS variable definition:

JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Dappserver.home=$CATALINA_HOME -Dappserver.base=$CATALINA_HOME -Dhttp.proxyHost=proxy.mycompany.com -Dhttp.proxyPort=7777 -Dhttps.proxyHost=proxy.mycompany.com -Dhttps.proxyPort=7777 -Dftp.proxyHost=proxy.mycompany.com -Dftp.proxyPort=7777 -Xmx1738m -Xms1738m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m $XWIKI_OPTS"

Thanks a lot, Thomas!
(I can update XWiki documentation if you point me at the correct page. I'm now looking at http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Configuration )

XWiki use default Java proxy configuration through Apache httpclient.
See http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/net/proxies.html
for more details.

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Roman Muntyanu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Indeed, setting header param 'Accept: application/xml' I receive proper response.
>
> I'm able to wget the page with following command
>   wget --header='Accept: application/xml' 'http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/rest/repository/search?start=0&number=20&q=Excel'
>
> However XWiki does not see the repository (I get connection refused). Which I believe is related to wiki sitting behind corporate proxy.
>
> How do I tell XWiki to use proxy for outbound connections?
>
> (I previously have it set in the /etc/environment file and also
> exported from command line, which does not help anymore)

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 2:54 PM, Roman Muntyanu
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Problem solved.
>
> I've modified /<tomcat-home>/bin/catalina.sh and added proxies to JAVA_OPTS variable definition:
>
> JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Dappserver.home=$CATALINA_HOME -Dappserver.base=$CATALINA_HOME -Dhttp.proxyHost=proxy.mycompany.com -Dhttp.proxyPort=7777 -Dhttps.proxyHost=proxy.mycompany.com -Dhttps.proxyPort=7777 -Dftp.proxyHost=proxy.mycompany.com -Dftp.proxyPort=7777 -Xmx1738m -Xms1738m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m $XWIKI_OPTS"
>
> Thanks a lot, Thomas!
> (I can update XWiki documentation if you point me at the correct page. I'm now looking at http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Configuration )

Not sure where is the best place.
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Configuration is
more for xwiki.cfg/xwiki.properties files but that could do it too,
another general place for this could also be somewhere in
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Installation.

The Extension Manager documentation is on
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Extension+Module
and http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Extension+Manager+Application
(more UI oriented), might be a good idea to put a warning there since
there is not much other module that require access to Internet from
the server.

Done.
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Installation#HRunningXWikibehindproxy-server
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Extension+Module#HConfiguringExtensionRepositories (not sure if simple reference to install guide will be enough or you'd want me update the architecture section to reflect proxy-related part)
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Extension+Manager+Application#HSearchingforanExtension

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 2:54 PM, Roman Muntyanu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Problem solved.
>
> I've modified /<tomcat-home>/bin/catalina.sh and added proxies to JAVA_OPTS variable definition:
>
> JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Dappserver.home=$CATALINA_HOME -Dappserver.base=$CATALINA_HOME -Dhttp.proxyHost=proxy.mycompany.com -Dhttp.proxyPort=7777 -Dhttps.proxyHost=proxy.mycompany.com -Dhttps.proxyPort=7777 -Dftp.proxyHost=proxy.mycompany.com -Dftp.proxyPort=7777 -Xmx1738m -Xms1738m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m $XWIKI_OPTS"
>
> Thanks a lot, Thomas!
> (I can update XWiki documentation if you point me at the correct page.
> I'm now looking at
> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Configuration )

Not sure where is the best place.
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Configuration is more for xwiki.cfg/xwiki.properties files but that could do it too, another general place for this could also be somewhere in http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Installation.

The Extension Manager documentation is on http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Extension+Module
and http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Extension+Manager+Application
(more UI oriented), might be a good idea to put a warning there since there is not much other module that require access to Internet from the server.

Looks fine like this, thanks !