Status of Custom Mapping

Jiri Luzny
Hi,

I would like to know what is a status of the new feature Hibernate
Custom Mapping. There is already some impl and tests in SVN but no
documentation. Is the impl ready to try? If yes, any hints how to
start?

Thanks,
Jiri.

Re: Status of Custom Mapping

Ludovic Dubost

Hi Jiri,

The custom mapping feature is working.. There is a need for some
documentation and I haven't added the fields in the class editor to edit
them through the web.
Currently custom mappings can be enabled programatically for example
using plugins..

The best way to actually test the feature is to look at the test.

Of course there are some limitations.. Currently enabling a custom
mapping after already having data in the db is not a very good idea
(there could be problems).

Ludovic

Jiri Luzny wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to know what is a status of the new feature Hibernate
> Custom Mapping. There is already some impl and tests in SVN but no
> documentation. Is the impl ready to try? If yes, any hints how to
> start?
>
> Thanks,
> Jiri.

Re: Status of Custom Mapping

Jiri Luzny
Hi Ludovic,

..great, I will try it...
For the enabling of custom mappings I would like to use the new import
feature. However, I'm not sure if my assumption how the import works
is correct:
when importing any doc which has some objects assigned, it together
with objects also automatically manages class definitions: if certain
class definition doesn't exist it gets created and if it already exist
it gets updated. Is it right?

Or before importing any doc the corresponding class definition must
already exist in its master doc? In this case how do you ensure the
master doc with class definition is imported earlier than any other
doc using this class?

Thank you,
Jiri.

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:42:56 +0200 (CEST), you wrote:

>Hi Jiri,
>
>The custom mapping feature is working.. There is a need for some
>documentation and I haven't added the fields in the class editor to edit
>them through the web.
>Currently custom mappings can be enabled programatically for example
>using plugins..
>
>The best way to actually test the feature is to look at the test.
>
>Of course there are some limitations.. Currently enabling a custom
>mapping after already having data in the db is not a very good idea
>(there could be problems).
>
>Ludovic
>
>Jiri Luzny wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to know what is a status of the new feature Hibernate
>> Custom Mapping. There is already some impl and tests in SVN but no
>> documentation. Is the impl ready to try? If yes, any hints how to
>> start?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jiri.

Re: Status of Custom Mapping

jeremi joslin
On 8/19/05, Jiri Luzny <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Ludovic,
>
> ..great, I will try it...
> For the enabling of custom mappings I would like to use the new import
> feature. However, I'm not sure if my assumption how the import works
> is correct:
> when importing any doc which has some objects assigned, it together
> with objects also automatically manages class definitions: if certain
> class definition doesn't exist it gets created and if it already exist
> it gets updated. Is it right?
>
> Or before importing any doc the corresponding class definition must
> already exist in its master doc? In this case how do you ensure the
> master doc with class definition is imported earlier than any other
> doc using this class?

Hi Jiri,
No, you have to import the class definition too. XWiki does not
automatically manage class definition. Maybe it can be done in the
futur. The update of a class is  difficult, how to know if the user
have modified the class, what doing in this case? What we do with
objects which are using this class?

I don't think the order for the import of class and objects are
important. But Ludovic can you confirm?

Jérémi

--
portable : 06.73.20.11.49
http://www.jeremi.info

Re: Status of Custom Mapping

This is indeed an issue.. The class does need to exist before so that
the custom mapping is taken into account.
We need to modify the import/export to save classes to the DB before any
objects using these classes.

Ludovic

Jiri Luzny wrote:

> Hi Ludovic,
>
> ..great, I will try it...
> For the enabling of custom mappings I would like to use the new import
> feature. However, I'm not sure if my assumption how the import works
> is correct:
> when importing any doc which has some objects assigned, it together
> with objects also automatically manages class definitions: if certain
> class definition doesn't exist it gets created and if it already exist
> it gets updated. Is it right?
>
> Or before importing any doc the corresponding class definition must
> already exist in its master doc? In this case how do you ensure the
> master doc with class definition is imported earlier than any other
> doc using this class?
>
> Thank you,
> Jiri.
>
> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:42:56 +0200 (CEST), you wrote:
>

>> Hi Jiri,
>>
>> The custom mapping feature is working.. There is a need for some
>> documentation and I haven't added the fields in the class editor to edit
>> them through the web.
>> Currently custom mappings can be enabled programatically for example
>> using plugins..
>>
>> The best way to actually test the feature is to look at the test.
>>
>> Of course there are some limitations.. Currently enabling a custom
>> mapping after already having data in the db is not a very good idea
>> (there could be problems).
>>
>> Ludovic
>>
>> Jiri Luzny wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I would like to know what is a status of the new feature Hibernate
>>> Custom Mapping. There is already some impl and tests in SVN but no
>>> documentation. Is the impl ready to try? If yes, any hints how to
>>> start?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jiri.

Re: Status of Custom Mapping

Jiri Luzny
Just for better understanding: if the class definition included in XML
of every doc which has an object is not used for the class management,
what is it used for?

Thanks

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 10:54:18 +0200 (CEST), you wrote:

>This is indeed an issue.. The class does need to exist before so that
>the custom mapping is taken into account.
>We need to modify the import/export to save classes to the DB before any
>objects using these classes.
>
>Ludovic
>
>Jiri Luzny wrote:
>> Hi Ludovic,
>>
>> ..great, I will try it...
>> For the enabling of custom mappings I would like to use the new import
>> feature. However, I'm not sure if my assumption how the import works
>> is correct:
>> when importing any doc which has some objects assigned, it together
>> with objects also automatically manages class definitions: if certain
>> class definition doesn't exist it gets created and if it already exist
>> it gets updated. Is it right?
>>
>> Or before importing any doc the corresponding class definition must
>> already exist in its master doc? In this case how do you ensure the
>> master doc with class definition is imported earlier than any other
>> doc using this class?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Jiri.
>>
>> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:42:56 +0200 (CEST), you wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Jiri,
>>>
>>> The custom mapping feature is working.. There is a need for some
>>> documentation and I haven't added the fields in the class editor to edit
>>> them through the web.
>>> Currently custom mappings can be enabled programatically for example
>>> using plugins..
>>>
>>> The best way to actually test the feature is to look at the test.
>>>
>>> Of course there are some limitations.. Currently enabling a custom
>>> mapping after already having data in the db is not a very good idea
>>> (there could be problems).
>>>
>>> Ludovic

Re: Status of Custom Mapping

Ludovic Dubost

The reason I added the class definition is so that versioned documents
include it so if you request an older version of a document, it has the
classes at the time it was versioned.. This would be usefull to really
evaluate a document and objects in the same context as at the time it
was versioned.. Practically it's not really used.. We could get rid of
it in the export and only keep it in the versioned xml..

Ludovic

Jiri Luzny wrote:

> Just for better understanding: if the class definition included in XML
> of every doc which has an object is not used for the class management,
> what is it used for?
>
> Thanks
>
> On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 10:54:18 +0200 (CEST), you wrote:
>

>> This is indeed an issue.. The class does need to exist before so that
>> the custom mapping is taken into account.
>> We need to modify the import/export to save classes to the DB before any
>> objects using these classes.
>>
>> Ludovic
>>
>> Jiri Luzny wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Ludovic,
>>>
>>> ..great, I will try it...
>>> For the enabling of custom mappings I would like to use the new import
>>> feature. However, I'm not sure if my assumption how the import works
>>> is correct:
>>> when importing any doc which has some objects assigned, it together
>>> with objects also automatically manages class definitions: if certain
>>> class definition doesn't exist it gets created and if it already exist
>>> it gets updated. Is it right?
>>>
>>> Or before importing any doc the corresponding class definition must
>>> already exist in its master doc? In this case how do you ensure the
>>> master doc with class definition is imported earlier than any other
>>> doc using this class?
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> Jiri.

Re: Status of Custom Mapping

Jiri Luzny
Ludovic,

I'm trying the custom mapping and I would like to discuss some issues
I have figured out so far:
- it doesn't seem that custom mapping is exported to class definition
XML therefore cannot be imported e.g. from a backup
- I guess custom mapping for StaticListClass and DBListClass is not
supported now but due to IMO wrong conditional logic in
XWikiHibernateStore.isValidColumnType() (should return false when
validtypes is null) you can have a custom mapping for such classes as
long as the class is not marked as MultiSelect (when setting
MultiSelect I'm getting ClastCastException from Hibernate). I
understand that implementation of full list class functionality when a
List class set to RelationalStorage might be difficult, but it would
be nice to have support at least for single field MultiSelect!
- Can I mix custom mapping with the default one within one class?

Thank you.

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:42:56 +0200 (CEST), you wrote:

>Hi Jiri,
>
>The custom mapping feature is working.. There is a need for some
>documentation and I haven't added the fields in the class editor to edit
>them through the web.
>Currently custom mappings can be enabled programatically for example
>using plugins..
>
>The best way to actually test the feature is to look at the test.
>
>Of course there are some limitations.. Currently enabling a custom
>mapping after already having data in the db is not a very good idea
>(there could be problems).
>
>Ludovic
>
>Jiri Luzny wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to know what is a status of the new feature Hibernate
>> Custom Mapping. There is already some impl and tests in SVN but no
>> documentation. Is the impl ready to try? If yes, any hints how to
>> start?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jiri.

Re: Status of Custom Mapping

Ludovic Dubost

Jiri Luzny wrote:
> Ludovic,
>
> I'm trying the custom mapping and I would like to discuss some issues
> I have figured out so far:
> - it doesn't seem that custom mapping is exported to class definition
> XML therefore cannot be imported e.g. from a backup

oops.. right.. I forgot this one.. It's easy to add.

> - I guess custom mapping for StaticListClass and DBListClass is not
> supported now but due to IMO wrong conditional logic in
> XWikiHibernateStore.isValidColumnType() (should return false when
> validtypes is null) you can have a custom mapping for such classes as
> long as the class is not marked as MultiSelect (when setting
> MultiSelect I'm getting ClastCastException from Hibernate). I
> understand that implementation of full list class functionality when a
> List class set to RelationalStorage might be difficult, but it would
> be nice to have support at least for single field MultiSelect!

right.. this needs to be fixed..

> - Can I mix custom mapping with the default one within one class?

yes.. fields that are not custom mapped are still read/written in the
generic tables..
Now if the field is custom mapped in the future the result will be non
predictable for the data stored in the generic tables..

Ludovic

> Thank you.
>
> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:42:56 +0200 (CEST), you wrote:
>

>> Hi Jiri,
>>
>> The custom mapping feature is working.. There is a need for some
>> documentation and I haven't added the fields in the class editor to edit
>> them through the web.
>> Currently custom mappings can be enabled programatically for example
>> using plugins..
>>
>> The best way to actually test the feature is to look at the test.
>>
>> Of course there are some limitations.. Currently enabling a custom
>> mapping after already having data in the db is not a very good idea
>> (there could be problems).
>>
>> Ludovic
>>
>> Jiri Luzny wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I would like to know what is a status of the new feature Hibernate
>>> Custom Mapping. There is already some impl and tests in SVN but no
>>> documentation. Is the impl ready to try? If yes, any hints how to
>>> start?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jiri.

Help with Ant build error...

cburleso

When I try to build, I get the following error from the Ant build cmd line:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\IBM\workspace\xwiki\trunk

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\IBM\workspace\xwiki\trunk\build.xml:132:
 taskdef A class needed by class org.apache.cactus.integration.ant.CactusTask cannot be found: junit/framework/Test

Does anyone know what lib or what  I might be missing, so that I can go out and grab it? Am I missing an Ant extension or just a dependent lib?

==================================
Cody Burleson
IBM, Business Consulting Services
On Demand Workplaces
"Simplifying access to content, applications, people and processes."

Current Client Office (Mon - Thur): (404) 828-4583
Home Office [Friday, Sat. Sun. or email a voice message]: (214) 233.3546
Cell [anytime]: (214) 537-8783
Email: [hidden email]

Ludovic Dubost <[hidden email]>

08/22/2005 06:54 AM

Please respond to

cc
Subject
Re: [xwiki-dev] Status of Custom Mapping

Jiri Luzny wrote:
> Ludovic,
>
> I'm trying the custom mapping and I would like to discuss some issues
> I have figured out so far:
> - it doesn't seem that custom mapping is exported to class definition
> XML therefore cannot be imported e.g. from a backup

oops.. right.. I forgot this one.. It's easy to add.

> - I guess custom mapping for StaticListClass and DBListClass is not
> supported now but due to IMO wrong conditional logic in
> XWikiHibernateStore.isValidColumnType() (should return false when
> validtypes is null) you can have a custom mapping for such classes as
> long as the class is not marked as MultiSelect (when setting
> MultiSelect I'm getting ClastCastException from Hibernate). I
> understand that implementation of full list class functionality when a
> List class set to RelationalStorage might be difficult, but it would
> be nice to have support at least for single field MultiSelect!

right.. this needs to be fixed..

> - Can I mix custom mapping with the default one within one class?

yes.. fields that are not custom mapped are still read/written in the
generic tables..
Now if the field is custom mapped in the future the result will be non
predictable for the data stored in the generic tables..

Ludovic
> Thank you.
>
> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:42:56 +0200 (CEST), you wrote:
>

>> Hi Jiri,
>>
>> The custom mapping feature is working.. There is a need for some
>> documentation and I haven't added the fields in the class editor to edit
>> them through the web.
>> Currently custom mappings can be enabled programatically for example
>> using plugins..
>>
>> The best way to actually test the feature is to look at the test.
>>
>> Of course there are some limitations.. Currently enabling a custom
>> mapping after already having data in the db is not a very good idea
>> (there could be problems).
>>
>> Ludovic
>>
>> Jiri Luzny wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I would like to know what is a status of the new feature Hibernate
>>> Custom Mapping. There is already some impl and tests in SVN but no
>>> documentation. Is the impl ready to try? If yes, any hints how to
>>> start?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jiri.

Re: Help with Ant build error...

PDLib itesm
Hi Cody,

I was having the same problem. I fix it adding junit-3.8.1.jar to ant's lib directory. $ANT_HOME/lib

Best regards,
Alberto

Re: Help with Ant build error...

Ludovic Dubost-3

Right.. I've create a page for the development environment and added this
to the page:

http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/DevGuide/Dev+Environment

Ludovic

> Hi Cody,
>  I was having the same problem. I fix it adding junit-3.8.1.jar to ant's
> lib
> directory. $ANT_HOME/lib
>  Best regards,
> Alberto

Cr?ez votre Wiki: http://www.xwiki.com
XPertNet: http://www.xpertnet.fr

RE: Help with Ant build error...

jhammonds
I noticed your "Development Environment" page, and am very interested in
your section on "Building with Eclipse".  We have been able to build the
project in IntelliJ, but not Eclipse; so, we welcome any advice.

Thanks,
Johnnie

Créez votre Wiki: http://www.xwiki.com
XPertNet: http://www.xpertnet.fr

Re: Help with Ant build error...

Matthew Conway

On Aug 23, 2005, at 4:37 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

I noticed your "Development Environment" page, and am very interested in
your section on "Building with Eclipse".  We have been able to build the
project in IntelliJ, but not Eclipse; so, we welcome any advice.

I'm building under eclipse without ay problem.  See my earlier post on what I did to get the xwiiki project configured to work with eclipse's WTP project.

Matt

Re: Help with Ant build error...

Ludovic Dubost

I've copied Matthew's file and added his instructions on the Dev
environment page

Matthew Conway wrote:

> On Aug 23, 2005, at 4:37 PM, [hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I noticed your "Development Environment" page, and am very interested in
>> your section on "Building with Eclipse".  We have been able to build the
>> project in IntelliJ, but not Eclipse; so, we welcome any advice.
>
> I'm building under eclipse without ay problem.  See my earlier post on
> what I did to get the xwiiki project configured to work with eclipse's
> WTP project.
>
> Matt

Re: Help with Ant build error...

Matthew Conway

On Aug 24, 2005, at 12:30 PM, Ludovic Dubost wrote:

I've copied Matthew's file and added his instructions on the Dev environment page

Yeah, I keep forgetting that this _is_ a wiki we are talking about here :)

Matt