Status of the includeMacros macro in XE 2.4

Status of the includeMacros macro in XE 2.4

kaaloo
Hi,

I posted http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XE-700 a couple of days ago
and am writing now because more and more of the Balsamiq Mockups for
XWiki users are attempting or would like to migrate to 2.4 but have
pages with mockups embedded using #includeMacros.  I'd like to know if
#includeMacros is definitely not going to be supported from 2.4
onwards or if this is a bug that will be fixed at some point.  We can
update the plugin (already have actually) to use the recommended
syntax for new mockups but still have the issue of dealing with
existing pages. I would also like your thoughts on a simple workaround
which ideally we could ask our users / wiki admins to do.

Thanks,
Luis

Re: Status of the includeMacros macro in XE 2.4

Hi Luis,

I see you haven't got any answer on this yet. I'll try to talk to Thomas Mortagne about it tomorrow. I know Jerome talked to Thomas already and apparently it seems it's not easy to continue to support it (I don't know the bottom the problem yet). We'll talk to see how we can make it as easy as possible for you and come back with a solution.

On Aug 31, 2010, at 11:31 AM, Luis Arias wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I posted http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XE-700 a couple of days ago
> and am writing now because more and more of the Balsamiq Mockups for
> XWiki users are attempting or would like to migrate to 2.4 but have
> pages with mockups embedded using #includeMacros.  I'd like to know if
> #includeMacros is definitely not going to be supported from 2.4
> onwards or if this is a bug that will be fixed at some point.  We can
> update the plugin (already have actually) to use the recommended
> syntax for new mockups but still have the issue of dealing with
> existing pages. I would also like your thoughts on a simple workaround
> which ideally we could ask our users / wiki admins to do.
>
> Thanks,
> Luis

Re: Status of the includeMacros macro in XE 2.4

I just fixed http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XWIKI-5453 but as i
said on the comment i don't see why you have an issue because it's
only when including a xwiki/2.0 document using #include* velocity
macros which is useless unless you want to include 2.0 syntax document
into 1.0 syntax document.

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 18:10, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Luis,
>
> I see you haven't got any answer on this yet. I'll try to talk to Thomas Mortagne about it tomorrow. I know Jerome talked to Thomas already and apparently it seems it's not easy to continue to support it (I don't know the bottom the problem yet). We'll talk to see how we can make it as easy as possible for you and come back with a solution.

> On Aug 31, 2010, at 11:31 AM, Luis Arias wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I posted http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XE-700 a couple of days ago
>> and am writing now because more and more of the Balsamiq Mockups for
>> XWiki users are attempting or would like to migrate to 2.4 but have
>> pages with mockups embedded using #includeMacros.  I'd like to know if
>> #includeMacros is definitely not going to be supported from 2.4
>> onwards or if this is a bug that will be fixed at some point.  We can
>> update the plugin (already have actually) to use the recommended
>> syntax for new mockups but still have the issue of dealing with
>> existing pages. I would also like your thoughts on a simple workaround
>> which ideally we could ask our users / wiki admins to do.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Luis

Re: Status of the includeMacros macro in XE 2.4

Ok i understood i think, you converted to xwiki/2.0 some page that is
still used by xwiki/1.0 documents ?

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 11:07, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just fixed http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XWIKI-5453 but as i
> said on the comment i don't see why you have an issue because it's
> only when including a xwiki/2.0 document using #include* velocity
> macros which is useless unless you want to include 2.0 syntax document
> into 1.0 syntax document.
>
> On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 18:10, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Luis,
>>
>> I see you haven't got any answer on this yet. I'll try to talk to Thomas Mortagne about it tomorrow. I know Jerome talked to Thomas already and apparently it seems it's not easy to continue to support it (I don't know the bottom the problem yet). We'll talk to see how we can make it as easy as possible for you and come back with a solution.

>> On Aug 31, 2010, at 11:31 AM, Luis Arias wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I posted http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XE-700 a couple of days ago
>>> and am writing now because more and more of the Balsamiq Mockups for
>>> XWiki users are attempting or would like to migrate to 2.4 but have
>>> pages with mockups embedded using #includeMacros.  I'd like to know if
>>> #includeMacros is definitely not going to be supported from 2.4
>>> onwards or if this is a bug that will be fixed at some point.  We can
>>> update the plugin (already have actually) to use the recommended
>>> syntax for new mockups but still have the issue of dealing with
>>> existing pages. I would also like your thoughts on a simple workaround
>>> which ideally we could ask our users / wiki admins to do.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Luis

Re: Status of the includeMacros macro in XE 2.4

kaaloo
Ah great, I'll download a build and test in our environment.  It seems
that the Mockups.MacrosV2 page is shown as an XWiki 2.0 Syntax page in
the WIKI editor but is using 1.0 Syntax.  Could this be part of the
issue ?  We want to have the largest backwards compatibility.  Right
now this means we compile against the xwiki 1.5 jars.  I'm not sure if
XWiki 2.0 syntax was actually around back then, from memory it was
announced with 1.7 right ?  In that case it is in my eyes definitely a
mistake on our part to carry pages marked as 2.0 syntax in our XAR.  I
will also try setting the syntax of any such pages to 1.0 and
retesting.  If you wish to test as we do, you can follow the
instructions to download and install Mockups for XWiki here and then
try to add a mockup to a page:

http://www.balsamiq.com/products/mockups/xwiki#download

Thanks for your help on this !

Luis

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 11:25 AM, Thomas Mortagne
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok i understood i think, you converted to xwiki/2.0 some page that is
> still used by xwiki/1.0 documents ?
>
> On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 11:07, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I just fixed http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XWIKI-5453 but as i
>> said on the comment i don't see why you have an issue because it's
>> only when including a xwiki/2.0 document using #include* velocity
>> macros which is useless unless you want to include 2.0 syntax document
>> into 1.0 syntax document.

Re: Status of the includeMacros macro in XE 2.4

Sergiu Dumitriu-2
On 09/04/2010 03:59 PM, Luis Arias wrote:

> Ah great, I'll download a build and test in our environment.  It seems
> that the Mockups.MacrosV2 page is shown as an XWiki 2.0 Syntax page in
> the WIKI editor but is using 1.0 Syntax.  Could this be part of the
> issue ?  We want to have the largest backwards compatibility.  Right
> now this means we compile against the xwiki 1.5 jars.  I'm not sure if
> XWiki 2.0 syntax was actually around back then, from memory it was
> announced with 1.7 right ?  In that case it is in my eyes definitely a
> mistake on our part to carry pages marked as 2.0 syntax in our XAR.  I
> will also try setting the syntax of any such pages to 1.0 and
> retesting.  If you wish to test as we do, you can follow the
> instructions to download and install Mockups for XWiki here and then
> try to add a mockup to a page:
>
> http://www.balsamiq.com/products/mockups/xwiki#download
>
> Thanks for your help on this !

What baffles me is that annotations work correctly on myxwiki.org (2.4):
http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/Mockups/MeetingManager

http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 13:17, Sergiu Dumitriu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 09/04/2010 03:59 PM, Luis Arias wrote:
>> Ah great, I'll download a build and test in our environment.  It seems
>> that the Mockups.MacrosV2 page is shown as an XWiki 2.0 Syntax page in
>> the WIKI editor but is using 1.0 Syntax.  Could this be part of the
>> issue ?  We want to have the largest backwards compatibility.  Right
>> now this means we compile against the xwiki 1.5 jars.  I'm not sure if
>> XWiki 2.0 syntax was actually around back then, from memory it was
>> announced with 1.7 right ?  In that case it is in my eyes definitely a
>> mistake on our part to carry pages marked as 2.0 syntax in our XAR.  I
>> will also try setting the syntax of any such pages to 1.0 and
>> retesting.  If you wish to test as we do, you can follow the
>> instructions to download and install Mockups for XWiki here and then
>> try to add a mockup to a page:
>>
>> http://www.balsamiq.com/products/mockups/xwiki#download
>>
>> Thanks for your help on this !
>
> What baffles me is that annotations work correctly on myxwiki.org (2.4):
> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/Mockups/MeetingManager

Annotations are including 2.0 document using #includeMacros() ?

On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 13:29, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 13:17, Sergiu Dumitriu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 09/04/2010 03:59 PM, Luis Arias wrote:
>>> Ah great, I'll download a build and test in our environment.  It seems
>>> that the Mockups.MacrosV2 page is shown as an XWiki 2.0 Syntax page in
>>> the WIKI editor but is using 1.0 Syntax.  Could this be part of the
>>> issue ?  We want to have the largest backwards compatibility.  Right
>>> now this means we compile against the xwiki 1.5 jars.  I'm not sure if
>>> XWiki 2.0 syntax was actually around back then, from memory it was
>>> announced with 1.7 right ?  In that case it is in my eyes definitely a
>>> mistake on our part to carry pages marked as 2.0 syntax in our XAR.  I
>>> will also try setting the syntax of any such pages to 1.0 and
>>> retesting.  If you wish to test as we do, you can follow the
>>> instructions to download and install Mockups for XWiki here and then
>>> try to add a mockup to a page:
>>>
>>> http://www.balsamiq.com/products/mockups/xwiki#download
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help on this !
>>
>> What baffles me is that annotations work correctly on myxwiki.org (2.4):
>> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/Mockups/MeetingManager
>
> Annotations are including 2.0 document using #includeMacros() ?

Mockups.Macros is a xwiki/1.0 document and as I said the issue is only
when including 2.0 document.

On 09/05/2010 01:17 PM, Sergiu Dumitriu wrote:

> On 09/04/2010 03:59 PM, Luis Arias wrote:
>> Ah great, I'll download a build and test in our environment. It seems
>> that the Mockups.MacrosV2 page is shown as an XWiki 2.0 Syntax page in
>> the WIKI editor but is using 1.0 Syntax. Could this be part of the
>> issue ? We want to have the largest backwards compatibility. Right
>> now this means we compile against the xwiki 1.5 jars. I'm not sure if
>> XWiki 2.0 syntax was actually around back then, from memory it was
>> announced with 1.7 right ? In that case it is in my eyes definitely a
>> mistake on our part to carry pages marked as 2.0 syntax in our XAR. I
>> will also try setting the syntax of any such pages to 1.0 and
>> retesting. If you wish to test as we do, you can follow the
>> instructions to download and install Mockups for XWiki here and then
>> try to add a mockup to a page:
>>
>> http://www.balsamiq.com/products/mockups/xwiki#download
>>
>> Thanks for your help on this !
>
> What baffles me is that annotations work correctly on myxwiki.org (2.4):

Obviously, I meant mockups.

http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Re: Status of the includeMacros macro in XE 2.4

kaaloo

I found a workaround this morning in my tests which is to remove the
{{velocity}{{html}} wrapping the velocity code and saving
Mockups.MacrosV2 with the XWIki 1.0 Syntax flag.  This basically means
Mockups.Macros and Mockups.MacrosV2 have the same content and page
syntax flag.  It's curious, but I remember directly including
Mockups.Macros wasn't working in 2.0 Syntax pages at some point, so we
had to create Mockups.MacrosV2. But apparently we don't really need it
now.  Do you have any idea at what point the behavior changed ?

Thanks,
Luis