Syntax Guide Page doesn't work because of 'Failed to execute the [velocity] macro'

Syntax Guide Page doesn't work because of 'Failed to execute the [velocity] macro'

-bt-
Hello together,

I don't know why, but since I upgraded to 6.0 (6.0.1) I cannot launch the Syntax Guide (XWiki.XWikiSyntax). I just get an Failed to execute the [velocity] macro error and that's it.
Here you will find the complete error message-> http://mysticpaste.com/view/z6rrmr8o91?2

I have a clone of the XWiki instance where I don't have this problem but there the content is shown twice.

I compare both pages and for me they are the same, same content, same objects, same classes.

Where can I look or test whre this problem is coming from?

Best regards Kai

Re: Syntax Guide Page doesn't work because of 'Failed to execute the [velocity] macro'

Marius Dumitru Florea
Caused by: org.apache.velocity.exception.MethodInvocationException:
Invocation of method 'get' in  class java.util.ArrayList threw
exception java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 1, Size: 1 at
xwiki:XWiki.XWikiSyntax[line 72, column 198]

The line is:

#set($child = {'id' : $sectionDoc.getName().substring(11), 'minSyntax'
: $obj.getProperty("minSyntaxVersion").value, 'maxSyntax' :
$obj.getProperty("maxSyntaxVersion").value, 'name' :
$sectionList.get(1).getSectionTitle()})

The problem being with:

$sectionList.get(1).getSectionTitle()

which assumes there are at least 2 sections (headings) in each
document that defines a 'section' of the syntax page. The first
section specifies the Category Name, and the second section specifies
the syntax 'Section' name.  There is something wrong with one of your
document that define a syntax 'section'. See
https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/tree/master/xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-help/xwiki-platform-help-ui/src/main/resources/XWiki
for the list of syntax 'sections'.

A quick fix is to import the
http://maven.xwiki.org/releases/org/xwiki/platform/xwiki-platform-help-ui/6.0.1/xwiki-platform-help-ui-6.0.1.xar
into your wiki in order to reset the syntax page.

Hope this helps,
Marius

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 10:17 AM, -bt- <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello together,
>
> I don't know why, but since I upgraded to 6.0 (6.0.1) I cannot launch the
> Syntax Guide (XWiki.XWikiSyntax). I just get an Failed to execute the
> [velocity] macro error and that's it.
> Here you will find the complete error message->
> http://mysticpaste.com/view/z6rrmr8o91?2
>
> I have a clone of the XWiki instance where I don't have this problem but
> there the content is shown twice.
>
> I compare both pages and for me they are the same, same content, same
> objects, same classes.
>
> Where can I look or test whre this problem is coming from?
>
> Best regards Kai

Re: Syntax Guide Page doesn't work because of 'Failed to execute the [velocity] macro'

-bt-
Hello Marius,

thanks for your fast answer. I tried it but it still doesn't work. I also tried to delete some pages as the where not replaced by the import.

For test I setup a new machine with a vanilla xwiki 6.0.1 and import the content from the other system.
There it is working, with just one problem. The Guide show all Headlines twice. This happen also on a complete other virgin system as soon as I active the multilingual feature...

Best regards
Kai

Re: Syntax Guide Page doesn't work because of 'Failed to execute the [velocity] macro'

Clemens Klein-Robbenhaar
On 06/10/2014 05:34 PM, -bt- wrote:

> Hello Marius,
>
> thanks for your fast answer. I tried it but it still doesn't work. I also
> tried to delete some pages as the where not replaced by the import.
>
> For test I setup a new machine with a vanilla xwiki 6.0.1 and import the
> content from the other system.
> There it is working, with just one problem. The Guide show all Headlines
> twice. This happen also on a complete other virgin system as soon as I
> active the multilingual feature...

I have no idea about the first issue, but at least I know about that one

If you look into XWiki.XWikiSyntax in the wiki-editor, you should be able to find a line like:

  #set($results = $services.query.xwql('from doc.object(XWiki.XWikiSyntaxClass) as syntax order by syntax.category, syntax.section').addFilter('currentlanguage').execute())

if you replace it by:

#set($results = $services.query.xwql('from doc.object(XWiki.XWikiSyntaxClass) as syntax order by syntax.category, syntax.section').addFilter('currentlanguage').addFilter('unique').execute())

the duplicates go away.

I am somewhat guilty of the complete contraption but I still have not figured out
why the duplicates creep up "sometimes" (actually the addFilter('currentlanguage') should prevent that ...)

hth,
clemens

Re: Syntax Guide Page doesn't work because of 'Failed to execute the [velocity] macro'

Marius Dumitru Florea

Could be related to http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-10384 .

> hth,
> clemens

Re: Syntax Guide Page doesn't work because of 'Failed to execute the [velocity] macro'

Marius Dumitru Florea
On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 2:47 PM, Marius Dumitru Florea
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 1:51 PM, Clemens Klein-Robbenhaar
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 06/10/2014 05:34 PM, -bt- wrote:
>>> Hello Marius,
>>>
>>> thanks for your fast answer. I tried it but it still doesn't work. I also
>>> tried to delete some pages as the where not replaced by the import.
>>>
>>> For test I setup a new machine with a vanilla xwiki 6.0.1 and import the
>>> content from the other system.
>>> There it is working, with just one problem. The Guide show all Headlines
>>> twice. This happen also on a complete other virgin system as soon as I
>>> active the multilingual feature...
>>
>> I have no idea about the first issue, but at least I know about that one
>>
>> If you look into XWiki.XWikiSyntax in the wiki-editor, you should be able to find a line like:
>>
>>   #set($results = $services.query.xwql('from doc.object(XWiki.XWikiSyntaxClass) as syntax order by syntax.category, syntax.section').addFilter('currentlanguage').execute())
>>
>> if you replace it by:
>>
>> #set($results = $services.query.xwql('from doc.object(XWiki.XWikiSyntaxClass) as syntax order by syntax.category, syntax.section').addFilter('currentlanguage').addFilter('unique').execute())
>>
>> the duplicates go away.
>>

>> I am somewhat guilty of the complete contraption but I still have not figured out
>> why the duplicates creep up "sometimes" (actually the addFilter('currentlanguage') should prevent that ...)
>

> Could be related to http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-10384 .

I confirm it's the same issue, and it's indeed related to the
'currentlanguage' which returns both the translation corresponding to
the current language and the default translation.

Am 11.06.2014 16:26, schrieb Marius Dumitru Florea:

> On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 2:47 PM, Marius Dumitru Florea
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 1:51 PM, Clemens Klein-Robbenhaar
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I have no idea about the first issue, but at least I know about that one
>>>
>>> If you look into XWiki.XWikiSyntax in the wiki-editor, you should be able to find a line like:
>>>
>>>    #set($results = $services.query.xwql('from doc.object(XWiki.XWikiSyntaxClass) as syntax order by syntax.category, syntax.section').addFilter('currentlanguage').execute())
>>>
>>> if you replace it by:
>>>
>>> #set($results = $services.query.xwql('from doc.object(XWiki.XWikiSyntaxClass) as syntax order by syntax.category, syntax.section').addFilter('currentlanguage').addFilter('unique').execute())
>>>
>>> the duplicates go away.
>>>
>>> I am somewhat guilty of the complete contraption but I still have not figured out
>>> why the duplicates creep up "sometimes" (actually the addFilter('currentlanguage') should prevent that ...)
>> Could be related to http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-10384 .
> I confirm it's the same issue, and it's indeed related to the
> 'currentlanguage' which returns both the translation corresponding to
> the current language and the default translation.
>
>> Thanks,
>> Marius
>>

>>> hth,
>>> clemens

Thanks for your answers regarding the second problem. Changing the
#set($results fixied it.
For the first one I found it myself.
It happen if you change the option 'xwiki.section.depth=' from '2' to
'1' in the xwiki.cfg.

Best regards
Kai

Re: Syntax Guide Page doesn't work because of 'Failed to execute the [velocity] macro'

Clemens Klein-Robbenhaar
[...]
> Thanks for your answers regarding the second problem. Changing the #set($results fixied it.
> For the first one I found it myself.
> It happen if you change the option 'xwiki.section.depth=' from '2' to '1' in the xwiki.cfg.

Ah, ok, that's why. I can reproduce the problem when I change that setting.
Tracking the issue at
  http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-10462
until I find a solution for it.

Cheers