System Recommendations

Schmidt, Thilo (VZ)

Hello there,

I'm in the planning phase of installing XWiki and wanted to set up an XWiki/Tomcat server
and an Oracle server, both running Debian. The wiki will not likely have more than a four
digit number of pages, few images saved in the file system and no other files uploaded.

What are the experiences for such setup concerning RAM and disk space?

npst

Re: System Recommendations

Jérôme Velociter
Hi,

On 08/02/2012 11:36 AM, Schmidt, Thilo (VZ) wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I'm in the planning phase of installing XWiki and wanted to set up an XWiki/Tomcat server
> and an Oracle server, both running Debian. The wiki will not likely have more than a four
> digit number of pages, few images saved in the file system and no other files uploaded.
>
> What are the experiences for such setup concerning RAM and disk space?

This also depends on how often your wiki is going to be accessed.

> npst

Peace,
—Jerome

Re: System Recommendations

Schmidt, Thilo (VZ)

> Hi,
>
> On 08/02/2012 11:36 AM, Schmidt, Thilo (VZ) wrote:
> > Hello there,
> >
> > I'm in the planning phase of installing XWiki and wanted to set up an
> > XWiki/Tomcat server and an Oracle server, both running Debian. The
> > wiki will not likely have more than a four digit number of pages, few images saved in the file system and no other files uploaded.
> >
> > What are the experiences for such setup concerning RAM and disk space?
>
> This also depends on how often your wiki is going to be accessed.

Thanks,
I'll make the wiki accessible to no more than 75 users in total, so it will be more like "several hits a day" instead of "several a second".
I hope this is a good enough estimate?

> > npst

> Peace,
> -Jerome

Re: System Recommendations

Jérôme Velociter
On 08/02/2012 12:11 PM, Schmidt, Thilo (VZ) wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> On 08/02/2012 11:36 AM, Schmidt, Thilo (VZ) wrote:
>>> Hello there,
>>>
>>> I'm in the planning phase of installing XWiki and wanted to set up an
>>> XWiki/Tomcat server and an Oracle server, both running Debian. The
>>> wiki will not likely have more than a four digit number of pages, few images saved in the file system and no other files uploaded.
>>>
>>> What are the experiences for such setup concerning RAM and disk space?
>> This also depends on how often your wiki is going to be accessed.
>>
> Thanks,
> I'll make the wiki accessible to no more than 75 users in total, so it will be more like "several hits a day" instead of "several a second".

For disk space that's going to mostly tied to the size of attachments of
wiki pages. Besides attachments, wiki pages don't weight much in
database, so with a few thousand without big attacments you won't have a
problem there.
For memory with the usage you describe I would say you definitely are
going to be able to live with Xmx=512M.

Jerome

> I hope this is a good enough estimate?
>
>>> npst

>> Peace,
>> -Jerome

Peace,
—Jerome

Re: System Recommendations

Schmidt, Thilo (VZ)

> On 08/02/2012 12:11 PM, Schmidt, Thilo (VZ) wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> This also depends on how often your wiki is going to be accessed.
>>>
>> Thanks,
>> I'll make the wiki accessible to no more than 75 users in total, so it will be more like "several hits a day" instead of "several a second".
>
> For disk space that's going to mostly tied to the size of attachments of wiki pages. Besides attachments, wiki pages don't weight much in database, so with a few thousand without big attacments you won't have a problem there.
> For memory with the usage you describe I would say you definitely are going to be able to live with Xmx=512M.
>
> Jerome

Thanks again, I'll be going with 15 GB HDD for the Debian/Tomcat/XWiki platform then and see how it goes.

Thilo