Table style not being affected

BrianJones
Sorry, this may be a bit of a pedestrian question, but I've searched the forum, tried the examples given, and followed the examples in the documentation guide all with no avail.

On a page, I have a table:

Blah Blah Blah...

Blah Blah Blah...

         {image:Some_image.jpg|400|300| |right}

But for the life of me, I can't get it to render without borders.  The border="0" attribute doesn't seem to be working, I tried adding an in-line css to the  tag (
), this also didn't work.

I searched the forums here for some ideas, and it was suggested to edit the table.css file accordingly.  The only table.css file I have on my installation is for the albatross skin (which I'm not using).  Anyways, just for the sake of being complete, I tried editing this file, and completely REMOVED anything about borders, then restarted Tomcat, and the table still renders with borders.

Does anyone have any ideas?  It's so simple, yet so aggrivating...  Thanks ahead of time guys.

Re: Table style not being affected

Gregor Speck
Hey did you tested style="border-width:0px" ?

Greetz Greg

2008/10/29 BrianJones <[hidden email]>

> Sorry, this may be a bit of a pedestrian question, but I've searched the
> forum, tried the examples given, and followed the examples in the
> documentation guide all with no avail.
>
> On a page, I have a table:

>         <h3>Blah Blah Blah...</h3>
>         <h3>Blah Blah Blah...</h3>
>         {image:Some_image.jpg|400|300| |right}
>
> But for the life of me, I can't get it to render without borders.  The
> border="0" attribute doesn't seem to be working, I tried adding an in-line
> css to the <table> tag (<table style="border:0;">), this also didn't work.
>
> I searched the forums here for some ideas, and it was suggested to edit the
> table.css file accordingly.  The only table.css file I have on my
> installation is for the albatross skin (which I'm not using).  Anyways,
> just
> for the sake of being complete, I tried editing this file, and completely
> REMOVED anything about borders, then restarted Tomcat, and the table still
> renders with borders.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?  It's so simple, yet so aggrivating...  Thanks
> ahead of time guys.

Re: Table style not being affected

mike a.-2
In stylesheet, a border for td or th element may be specified. Look
for those. IF you don't want to search, just put he following code in
your stylesheet:
table, td, th {
border: 0;
}
 Quoting Gregor Speck : Hey did you tested style="border-width:0px"
?
 Greetz Greg
 2008/10/29 BrianJones

 > Sorry, this may be a bit of a pedestrian question, but I've
searched the
 > forum, tried the examples given, and followed the examples in the
 > documentation guide all with no avail.
 >
 > On a page, I have a table:
 >
 >
 >
 >
 >         Blah Blah Blah...
 >         Blah Blah Blah...
 >
 >
 >         {image:Some_image.jpg|400|300| |right}
 >
 >
 >
 >
 > But for the life of me, I can't get it to render without borders.
The
 > border="0" attribute doesn't seem to be working, I tried adding an
in-line
 > css to the  tag (), this also didn't work.
 >
 > I searched the forums here for some ideas, and it was suggested to
edit the
 > table.css file accordingly.  The only table.css file I have on my
 > installation is for the albatross skin (which I'm not using).
Anyways,
 > just
 > for the sake of being complete, I tried editing this file, and
completely
 > REMOVED anything about borders, then restarted Tomcat, and the
table still
 > renders with borders.
 >
 > Does anyone have any ideas?  It's so simple, yet so aggrivating...
 Thanks
 > ahead of time guys.
 Ar cieņu, Mihails

Links:
------
[1] mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Table style not being affected

Sergiu Dumitriu-2
Mihails Agafonovs wrote:
> In stylesheet, a border for td or th element may be specified. Look
> for those. IF you don't want to search, just put he following code in
> your stylesheet:
> table, td, th {
> border: 0;

Better try:
  border: none !important;

http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Re: Table style not being affected

mike a.-2
Hi, Sergiu!
"!important" will be ignored by IE6 and lower, so no need to use it
here. Also, "border: none" is really the same as "border: 0".
 Quoting Sergiu Dumitriu : Mihails Agafonovs wrote:
 > In stylesheet, a border for td or th element may be specified.
Look
 > for those. IF you don't want to search, just put he following code
in
 > your stylesheet:
 > table, td, th {
 > border: 0;
 Better try:
 border: none !important;
 > }
 >  Quoting Gregor Speck : Hey did you tested
style="border-width:0px"
 > ?
 >  Greetz Greg
 >  2008/10/29 BrianJones
 >  >
 >  > Sorry, this may be a bit of a pedestrian question, but I've
 > searched the
 >  > forum, tried the examples given, and followed the examples in
the
 >  > documentation guide all with no avail.
 >  >
 >  > On a page, I have a table:
 >  >
 >  >
 >  >
 >  >
 >  >         Blah Blah Blah...
 >  >         Blah Blah Blah...
 >  >
 >  >
 >  >         {image:Some_image.jpg|400|300| |right}
 >  >
 >  >
 >  >
 >  >
 >  > But for the life of me, I can't get it to render without
borders.
 > The
 >  > border="0" attribute doesn't seem to be working, I tried adding
an
 > in-line
 >  > css to the  tag (), this also didn't work.
 >  >
 >  > I searched the forums here for some ideas, and it was suggested
 > edit the
 >  > table.css file accordingly.  The only table.css file I have on
my
 >  > installation is for the albatross skin (which I'm not using).
 > Anyways,
 >  > just
 >  > for the sake of being complete, I tried editing this file, and
 > completely
 >  > REMOVED anything about borders, then restarted Tomcat, and the
 > table still
 >  > renders with borders.
 >  >
 >  > Does anyone have any ideas?  It's so simple, yet so
aggrivating...
 >  Thanks
 >  > ahead of time guys.
 http://purl.org/net/sergiu/
 Ar cieņu, Mihails

Links:
------
[1] mailto:[hidden email]

Mihails Agafonovs wrote:
> Hi, Sergiu!
> "!important" will be ignored by IE6 and lower, so no need to use it
> here. Also, "border: none" is really the same as "border: 0".

Why do you say that !important is ignored by IE6? It works pretty fine.

http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Re: Table style not being affected

BrianJones
Greg,

Tried your suggestion (style="border-width:0px"), same result.  Table is still being presented with a border...

Gregor Speck wrote

2008/10/29 BrianJones <Brian.Jones@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca>

> Sorry, this may be a bit of a pedestrian question, but I've searched the
> forum, tried the examples given, and followed the examples in the
> documentation guide all with no avail.
>
> On a page, I have a table:
>
> >   >      >      >   >

Blah Blah Blah...

Blah Blah Blah...

>         {image:Some_image.jpg|400|300| |right}
>

> But for the life of me, I can't get it to render without borders.  The
> border="0" attribute doesn't seem to be working, I tried adding an in-line
> css to the  tag (
), this also didn't work.

> I searched the forums here for some ideas, and it was suggested to edit the
> table.css file accordingly.  The only table.css file I have on my
> installation is for the albatross skin (which I'm not using).  Anyways,
> just
> for the sake of being complete, I tried editing this file, and completely
> REMOVED anything about borders, then restarted Tomcat, and the table still
> renders with borders.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?  It's so simple, yet so aggrivating...  Thanks
> ahead of time guys.

Re: Table style not being affected

BrianJones
Mihails,

Thanks for your advice, but what stylesheet are you referring to?  In the documentation, it says the 'table.css' stylesheet is responsible for the table styles.  However, there is NO 'table.css' for the skin I'm using (default skin).  The only 'table.css' I have is for the Albatross skin, which when modified, does nothing to affect the look of the table (as I've already tried that route).

Is there another stylesheet I should be looking at?

Mihails Agafonovs wrote
In stylesheet, a border for td or th element may be specified. Look
for those. IF you don't want to search, just put he following code in
your stylesheet:
table, td, th {
border: 0;
}
 Quoting Gregor Speck : Hey did you tested style="border-width:0px"
?
 Greetz Greg
 2008/10/29 BrianJones

 > Sorry, this may be a bit of a pedestrian question, but I've
searched the
 > forum, tried the examples given, and followed the examples in the
 > documentation guide all with no avail.
 >
 > On a page, I have a table:
 >
 >
 >
 >
 >         Blah Blah Blah...
 >         Blah Blah Blah...
 >
 >
 >         {image:Some_image.jpg|400|300| |right}
 >
 >
 >
 >
 > But for the life of me, I can't get it to render without borders.
The
 > border="0" attribute doesn't seem to be working, I tried adding an
in-line
 > css to the  tag (), this also didn't work.
 >
 > I searched the forums here for some ideas, and it was suggested to
edit the
 > table.css file accordingly.  The only table.css file I have on my
 > installation is for the albatross skin (which I'm not using).
Anyways,
 > just
 > for the sake of being complete, I tried editing this file, and
completely
 > REMOVED anything about borders, then restarted Tomcat, and the
table still
 > renders with borders.
 >
 > Does anyone have any ideas?  It's so simple, yet so aggrivating...
 Thanks
 > ahead of time guys.
 Ar cieņu, Mihails

Links:
------
[1] mailto:gregor-samsa@arcor.de

BrianJones wrote:

> Mihails,
>
> Thanks for your advice, but what stylesheet are you referring to?  In the
> documentation, it says the 'table.css' stylesheet is responsible for the
> table styles.  However, there is NO 'table.css' for the skin I'm using
> (default skin).  The only 'table.css' I have is for the Albatross skin,
> which when modified, does nothing to affect the look of the table (as I've
> already tried that route).
>
> Is there another stylesheet I should be looking at?

Just edit style.css. Toucan combined all the style files in one.

A very good tool is the Firebug extension for Firefox. It tells you what
styles are applied to each element, and where does each rule come from.

http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Re: Table style not being affected

BrianJones
Thanks Sergiu,

This worked, although I had to use:

table, td, th {
    border: none !important;
}

And, I had to put this in the toucan.css file, not the style.css file (it didn't work in the style.css file for some reason).

I'm still curious though, why is it that the inline 'border' attribute would not work (), or the inline style wouldn't work (
).  Seems to me both of these methods should work, and are a lot simpler than changing the look of ALL tables in the entire site via editing the .css files.  Is there a reason for this?  As really, I only wanted to have no borders on one single table, on a single page in the Wiki, not every table on every page.

However, I managed to hack around this problem by creating a custom class for the table, td, and th elements in the following manner:

table.custom {
    border: none !important;
}

td.custom {
    border: none !important;
}

th.custom {
    border: none !important;
}

And utilizing them on the page like this:

Thanks for all your help!

Sergiu Dumitriu-2 wrote
BrianJones wrote:
> [...]

>> edit the
>>  > table.css file accordingly.  The only table.css file I have on my
>>  > installation is for the albatross skin (which I'm not using).
>> Anyways,
>>  > just
>>  > for the sake of being complete, I tried editing this file, and
>> completely
>>  > REMOVED anything about borders, then restarted Tomcat, and the
>> table still
>>  > renders with borders.
>>  >
>>  > Does anyone have any ideas?  It's so simple, yet so aggrivating...
>>  Thanks
>>  > ahead of time guys.
>>  > --
>>  >
>> http://n2.nabble.com/Table-style-not-being-affected-tp1395116p1395116.html
>>  > Sent from the XWiki- Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Again, be aware, that this rule will not apply to IE6.
 Quoting BrianJones : Thanks Sergiu,
 Sergiu Dumitriu-2 wrote:

> [...]
 >>>  > installation is for the albatross skin (which I'm not using).

 >>> Anyways,
 >>>  > just
 >>>  > for the sake of being complete, I tried editing this file,
and
 >>> completely
 >>>  > REMOVED anything about borders, then restarted Tomcat, and
the
 >>> table still
 >>>  > renders with borders.
 >>>  >
 >>>  > Does anyone have any ideas?  It's so simple, yet so
aggrivating...
 >>>  Thanks
 >>>  > ahead of time guys.
 >>>  > --
 >>>  >

http://n2.nabble.com/Table-style-not-being-affected-tp1395116p1395116.html
 >>>  > Sent from the XWiki- Users mailing list archive at

 Ar cieņu, Mihails

Links:
------
[1] mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Table style not being affected

BrianJones
Mihails,

I'm viewing using IE7, and the border: none !important; seemed to work just fine.  Actually, when I tried to change it to use something else that is more compliant to all browsers, nothing seemed to work:

border: none;
border: 0;
border: 0px;
border-style: none;
border-width: 0;
border-width: 0px;
border-width: none;

I tried all of these, and NONE of them rendered the table without borders except the border: none !important;

Is there something I'm doing wrong with these other options?  Also, what's the problem with using the !important keyword, it seems to work, and why would anyone be using IE6 when IE7 has been out for a while, and IE8 is being released soon enough, not to mention Firefox and Safari being 100% compliant.

Anything you can think of?
Mihails Agafonovs wrote
Again, be aware, that this rule will not apply to IE6.

Re: Table style not being affected

BrianJones
Ahhh, I solved the problem.

There was actually nothing wrong with any of the other ones I tried, the reason they weren't being utilized when the page was being rendered is because they were at the very top of the .css file, so when the !important keyword was removed, another element of the same type lower in the .css file was over-riding the modification.

After I put border: 0; at the bottom of the file, everything is working perfectly, and it is now backwards compatible with older (crappier) versions of IE.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Re: Table style not being affected

mike a.-2
Sure.
Without !important keyword the table is still rendered with borders,
because it might be specified somewhere else in your stylesheet more
precisely, like "table.xwikitable { ... }".
Yes, IE7 does understand the "!important" keyword. That's not new.
About why would anyone would use IE6 instead of IE7 - it's the matter
of taste, and the statistics shows, that very large amount of internet
users still use IE6 and even IE5. Your statement cold also sound like
"Why would users use IE while there is such a nice (practically ideal)
browser like Firefox?". The same thing - for many users it doesn't
matter what browser to use, and by default it's in almost cases IE6.
 Quoting BrianJones : Mihails,