Quantcast

Tagging user to get their attention.

Oliver Angélil
Is it possible to do this on a page to alert a user if you would like to
get them to view some page/comment? I.e. this is a useful feature on
Facebook, but then I guess most of don't use Facebook. ;)

Thanks,
Oliver

Re: Tagging user to get their attention.

Marius Dumitru Florea
We have
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Share%20Page%20Application
. The user gets notified through mail.

On Sun, Mar 5, 2017 at 10:55 AM, Oliver Angélil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is it possible to do this on a page to alert a user if you would like to
> get them to view some page/comment? I.e. this is a useful feature on
> Facebook, but then I guess most of don't use Facebook. ;)
>
> Thanks,
> Oliver

Re: Tagging user to get their attention.

Oliver Angélil
I feel it would be extremely handy to be able to tag someone's name in the
xwiki and the next time that person logs in, he/she will be notified and
directed to the page/comment where that happened. Perhaps a feature request
:)

Thanks,
Oliver

--
*Oliver Marc Angélil*
PhD Candidate at the University of New South Wales, Australia
*http://web.maths.unsw.edu.au/~oangelil/oliver/page_oliver.html*
<http://web.maths.unsw.edu.au/~oangelil/oliver/page_oliver.html>

Re: Tagging user to get their attention.

Hi Oliver,

> On 6 Mar 2017, at 21:58, Oliver Angélil <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I feel it would be extremely handy to be able to tag someone's name in the
> xwiki and the next time that person logs in, he/she will be notified and
> directed to the page/comment where that happened. Perhaps a feature request
> :)

We also have the ability to send messages to people in the wiki, see:
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Message%20Stream%20Application/

This should provide a feature similar to the one you wish I believe, WDYT?

> Oliver
>
> On 6 March 2017 at 19:16, Marius Dumitru Florea <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> We have
>> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/
>> Share%20Page%20Application
>> . The user gets notified through mail.
>>
>> On Sun, Mar 5, 2017 at 10:55 AM, Oliver Angélil <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Is it possible to do this on a page to alert a user if you would like to
>>> get them to view some page/comment? I.e. this is a useful feature on
>>> Facebook, but then I guess most of don't use Facebook. ;)
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Oliver
>>>

> --
> *Oliver Marc Angélil*
> PhD Candidate at the University of New South Wales, Australia
> *http://web.maths.unsw.edu.au/~oangelil/oliver/page_oliver.html*
> <http://web.maths.unsw.edu.au/~oangelil/oliver/page_oliver.html>

Re: Tagging user to get their attention.

Oliver Angélil
Hi Vincent,

This is getting closer to what I had in mind but not exactly. What I am
suggesting is the ability to tag a user's name anywhere on the xwiki\. It
would work as follows:

   - type "@"
   - a dropdown menu appears with all usernames
   - select a username
   - that user will then be notified that his/her name has been mentioned,
   with the link the the location of the mention.

For example I could write in the comment section:
"John, should we meet tomorrow to discuss this page?"

The tagged name "John" could appear in a different colour being a link to
his profile; and he will somehow be notified of this comment when he logs
in. Without this feature, he may not notice my comment.

Thanks,
Oliver

On 8 March 2017 at 18:59, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Oliver,
>
> > On 6 Mar 2017, at 21:58, Oliver Angélil <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I feel it would be extremely handy to be able to tag someone's name in
> the
> > xwiki and the next time that person logs in, he/she will be notified and
> > directed to the page/comment where that happened. Perhaps a feature
> request
> > :)
>
> We also have the ability to send messages to people in the wiki, see:
> 20Application/
>
> This should provide a feature similar to the one you wish I believe, WDYT?

> > Oliver
> >
> > On 6 March 2017 at 19:16, Marius Dumitru Florea <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> We have
> >> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/
> >> Share%20Page%20Application
> >> . The user gets notified through mail.

> > --
> > *Oliver Marc Angélil*
> > PhD Candidate at the University of New South Wales, Australia
> > *http://web.maths.unsw.edu.au/~oangelil/oliver/page_oliver.html*
> > <http://web.maths.unsw.edu.au/~oangelil/oliver/page_oliver.html>

--
*Oliver Marc Angélil*
PhD Candidate at the University of New South Wales, Australia
*http://web.maths.unsw.edu.au/~oangelil/oliver/page_oliver.html*
<http://web.maths.unsw.edu.au/~oangelil/oliver/page_oliver.html>

Re: Tagging user to get their attention.

I guess the quickest way to implement that in an extension would be a
component listening to DocumentCreatedEvent (and DocumentUpdatedEvent)
so that whenever a document is created it look at the content (or the
diff in case it's a modification and not a creation) of the document
and xobjects (to support comments too for example) and when matching
@<existinguserid> send a notification to the user. The UI part might
be a bit trickier to do for an extension without conflicting with the
WYSIWYG unless there is something for that in CKEditor itself, there
should not be much conflict risk with the wiki editor but I'm really
not the one to ask for guidelines to implement something like this :)