Testing new public xwiki open source community chat on jabber

Testing new public xwiki open source community chat on jabber

Hi everyone,

Till now we were using IRC (and we still are) but there are a few
issues with it and the biggest one is that you don't get to see
messages sent to you when you're offline. Thus we're trying a new
solution using Jabber/XMPP.

If it works well we'll then switch from IRC to it.

If you want to participate in the test and join us you can log in on [hidden email]

name: xwiki
server: conference.jabber.org

Note that you can log with your gmail id if you don't have a jabber id.

See you there.

Re: Testing new public xwiki open source community chat on jabber

rrodrigueznt
Please, Vicent, what client are you using for MAC OS X? iChat? Adium?
Any other software?

I don't find the settings to auto reconnect to
[hidden email]. Colloquy is doing this pretty accessing
XWiki IRC channel.

Thanks!

Ricardo

Vincent Massol wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Till now we were using IRC (and we still are) but there are a few
> issues with it and the biggest one is that you don't get to see
> messages sent to you when you're offline. Thus we're trying a new
> solution using Jabber/XMPP.
>
> If it works well we'll then switch from IRC to it.
>
> If you want to participate in the test and join us you can log in on [hidden email]
>
> name: xwiki
> server: conference.jabber.org
>
> Note that you can log with your gmail id if you don't have a jabber id.
>
> See you there.

Ricardo Rodríguez
Your EPEC Network ICT Team

Re: Testing new public xwiki open source community chat on jabber

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
I use Pidgin http://www.pidgin.im/
for Win.

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 13:13, [Ricardo Rodriguez] Your EPEC Network ICT
Team <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please, Vicent, what client are you using for MAC OS X? iChat? Adium?
> Any other software?
>
> I don't find the settings to auto reconnect to
> [hidden email]. Colloquy is doing this pretty accessing
> XWiki IRC channel.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ricardo
>
> Vincent Massol wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Till now we were using IRC (and we still are) but there are a few
> > issues with it and the biggest one is that you don't get to see
> > messages sent to you when you're offline. Thus we're trying a new
> > solution using Jabber/XMPP.
> >
> > If it works well we'll then switch from IRC to it.
> >
> > If you want to participate in the test and join us you can log in on
> [hidden email]
> >
> > name: xwiki
> > server: conference.jabber.org
> >
> > Note that you can log with your gmail id if you don't have a jabber id.
> >
> > See you there.

> Ricardo Rodríguez
> Your EPEC Network ICT Team

Re: Testing new public xwiki open source community chat on jabber

Guillaume Lerouge
Hi Ricardo,

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 2:08 PM, Ecaterina Valica <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I use Pidgin http://www.pidgin.im/
> for Win.
>

> On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 13:13, [Ricardo Rodriguez] Your EPEC Network ICT
> Team <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Please, Vicent, what client are you using for MAC OS X? iChat? Adium?
> > Any other software?
> >
> > I don't find the settings to auto reconnect to
> > [hidden email]. Colloquy is doing this pretty accessing
> > XWiki IRC channel.

I'm using Adium. Here's the trick:

   - Right-click on the chat to add it to your buddy list
   - Then right-click on the chat in your buddy list and find the Get Info
   menu for that chat
   - Tick "Bookmark: automatically join on connect"

You're done ;-)

Guillaume

> > Thanks!
> >
> > Ricardo
> >
> > Vincent Massol wrote:
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >
> > > Till now we were using IRC (and we still are) but there are a few
> > > issues with it and the biggest one is that you don't get to see
> > > messages sent to you when you're offline. Thus we're trying a new
> > > solution using Jabber/XMPP.
> > >
> > > If it works well we'll then switch from IRC to it.
> > >
> > > If you want to participate in the test and join us you can log in on
> > [hidden email]
> > >
> > > name: xwiki
> > > server: conference.jabber.org
> > >
> > > Note that you can log with your gmail id if you don't have a jabber id.
> > >
> > > See you there.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > -Vincent

> > Ricardo Rodríguez
> > Your EPEC Network ICT Team

Guillaume Lerouge
Product Manager - XWiki
Skype: wikibc
Twitter: glerouge
http://guillaumelerouge.com/

Re: Testing new public xwiki open source community chat on jabber

rrodrigueznt
Thanks, Caty.

Ecaterina Valica wrote:
> I use Pidgin http://www.pidgin.im/
> for Win.

I've almost lost track of this option. I will give a try... when I am
able to download a Mac OS X release! It seems that Fink is experiencing
some problems right now.

Please, does Pidgin automatically reconnect in Windows?

Greetings,

Ricardo

--
Ricardo Rodríguez
Your EPEC Network ICT Team

Re: Testing new public xwiki open source community chat on jabber

Hi Ricardo,

On Aug 25, 2009, at 1:13 PM, [Ricardo Rodriguez] Your EPEC Network ICT
Team wrote:

> Please, Vicent, what client are you using for MAC OS X? iChat? Adium?
> Any other software?
>
> I don't find the settings to auto reconnect to
> [hidden email]. Colloquy is doing this pretty accessing
> XWiki IRC channel.

I use Adium. Works very well. Make sure you use the 1.4beta version.

> Thanks!
>
> Ricardo
>
> Vincent Massol wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Till now we were using IRC (and we still are) but there are a few
>> issues with it and the biggest one is that you don't get to see
>> messages sent to you when you're offline. Thus we're trying a new
>> solution using Jabber/XMPP.
>>
>> If it works well we'll then switch from IRC to it.
>>
>> If you want to participate in the test and join us you can log in
>> on [hidden email]
>>
>> name: xwiki
>> server: conference.jabber.org
>>
>> Note that you can log with your gmail id if you don't have a jabber
>> id.
>>
>> See you there.

Re: Testing new public xwiki open source community chat on jabber

rrodrigueznt
Thanks all!

Vincent Massol wrote:

> I use Adium. Works very well. Make sure you use the 1.4beta version.

1.4b did the trick. Prior releases, at least here, didn't allow to
bookmark the chat room.

I miss some IRC colleagues here :-)

Please, have you been able to join IRC chat rooms from Adium? I've tried
a number of different IRC servers and chat rooms to no avail: Adium
doesn't find the chat rooms.

Cheers,

Ricardo

--
Ricardo Rodríguez
Your EPEC Network ICT Team

Re: Testing new public xwiki open source community chat on jabber

On Aug 25, 2009, at 7:07 PM, [Ricardo Rodriguez] Your EPEC Network ICT
Team wrote:

> Thanks all!
>
> Vincent Massol wrote:
>>
>> I use Adium. Works very well. Make sure you use the 1.4beta version.
>>

> 1.4b did the trick. Prior releases, at least here, didn't allow to
> bookmark the chat room.
>
> I miss some IRC colleagues here :-)
>
> Please, have you been able to join IRC chat rooms from Adium? I've
> tried
> a number of different IRC servers and chat rooms to no avail: Adium
> doesn't find the chat rooms.

Yes both IRC and Jabber work fine in Adium for me.

That said if you plan to use IRC on Mac I recommend that you use
Colloquy.

Re: Testing new public xwiki open source community chat on jabber

rrodrigueznt
Hi,

Vincent Massol wrote:
> Yes both IRC and Jabber work fine in Adium for me.
>
> That said if you plan to use IRC on Mac I recommend that you use
> Colloquy.
OK, I will keep Colloquy updated and an eye on Adium IRC connection
capabilities/features.

Thanks!

--
Ricardo Rodríguez