The new Class Properties wizard (XWiki10B2)

The new Class Properties wizard (XWiki10B2)

Esbach, Brandon
The new Class Properties wizard (XWiki10B2)

Hi All,

I guess more a question for the dev team, anyone that may know offhand otherwise ;)
Searched around on the XWiki.org site with no indication of the following functionality; but cannot seem to find references in documentation at all.  I've also tried to enter bits of data that seem correct (eg, a RegEx into the field at "c" does not seem to do any checks, or show any message if it fails), with no luck yet.

So, hopefully can someone help me understand:

a) for db lists, ID Field Name and Value Field Name indicates being able to use a different display and record value - is this correct, and if so; what is the syntax to this?

b) for db lists again, there is an Xwiki Class Name field - what does this do?  Entering a valid class name does not seem to alter the behaviour in any way.

c) for Strings/Dates/etc there is a Validation Regular Expression (and associated Validation Message) field; is this intended as a validation expression for the field value?  If so, is it active? - so far it does not give any message (provided or otherwise) when used.

d) For list types, there is a new entry called Display Type - changing this does not seem to make, eg a dropdown list into an input - is this what it is intended for, and if so; what restrictions are there in the underlying code?  Can a select list be changed to a text box with this field (assuming data already entered stays the same)?

e) Tooltip and Custom Display: Is this an automatic field render, or must these fields be initiated in some way?

Re: The new Class Properties wizard (XWiki10B2)

First of all, the DBList class is undergoing some serious refactoring, so it will keep on changing until all features are tested and labeled as safe.

a) for db lists, ID Field Name and Value Field Name indicates being able to use a different display and record value - is this correct, and if so; what is the syntax to this?

You can either write your own hql query, or you can specify a classname and two fields that will be selected, using the value, label and classname properties. So, how this works:
- leave the Query field empty
- Select a XWiki Class name (like XWiki.XWikiUsers)
- Select two object properties as the value and label fields. They will normally be used in the hql string as StringProperty-s.

b) for db lists again, there is an Xwiki Class Name field - what does this do?  Entering a valid class name does not seem to alter the behaviour in any way.

See above.

c) for Strings/Dates/etc there is a Validation Regular Expression (and associated Validation Message) field; is this intended as a validation expression for the field value?  If so, is it active? - so far it does not give any message (provided or otherwise) when used.

It should be working, but I don't know how. I didn't use it.

d) For list types, there is a new entry called Display Type - changing this does not seem to make, eg a dropdown list into an input - is this what it is intended for, and if so; what restrictions are there in the underlying code?  Can a select list be changed to a text box with this field (assuming data already entered stays the same)?

This should work, and the effect is that in inline edit mode, the list can be displayed as a drop-down list, a list of radio buttons (for multiple-select = false), a list of checkboxes (for multiple-select = true), or a simple input field.

e) Tooltip and Custom Display: Is this an automatic field render, or must these fields be initiated in some way?

These fields are not active yet.

Re: The new Class Properties wizard (XWiki10B2)

Jean-Vincent Drean
Hi,

2007/1/16, Sergiu Dumitriu <[hidden email]>:
> > c) for Strings/Dates/etc there is a Validation Regular Expression (and
> associated Validation Message) field; is this intended as a validation
> expression for the field value?  If so, is it active? - so far it does not
> give any message (provided or otherwise) when used.
> It should be working, but I don't know how. I didn't use it.

This new feature is not yet completely implemented. For the moment
those fields only used by the doc.validate() api method.

> > e) Tooltip and Custom Display: Is this an automatic field render, or must
> these fields be initiated in some way?

- Tooltip is a message about the property you can display in your
forms using doc.displayTooltip("your_field_name")
- the field Custom Display allow to overload the html code returned by
the properties displayers. /!\ please leave it blank unless you know
_exactly_ what you're doing :)

JV.

RE: The new Class Properties wizard (XWiki10B2)

Esbach, Brandon
Thanks for the clarifications!