TinyMCE Wysiwyg Problems

Sascha Österle
Hello,

I intesively tested the tinyMCE wysiwyg editor from the standalone
package. (XWIKI 0.9.1000 - I know its a developer version) and
discovered some problems. I would be gratefull for some
hints/workarounds. If there are none I hope that my report is helpfull
for the X-Team.

1) It does not always save when using Internet Explorer, but it is not
clearly reproducable for me. Has anyone got a idea how to solve this
(workaround or sth.)

2) It keeps Changing Links when saving
[NoSpace] =>  [NoSpace] => [NoSpace]
[With Space] => [With Space] => [With Space>With%20Space]
[WithGermanCharÄ]  => [WithGermanCharÄ] => [WithGermanCharÄ]
Legend: "=> means 'becomes when saving'"

 From now on, IE and Firefox both show very strange links in the status
bar. I believe the URLs are escaped once more before displaying.
This leads to:

http://../With%2520Space.... for a link that should in my opinion be
http://../With+Space or perhaps http://../With%20Space

This leads to several Problems:
a) IE not usable
b) You have to save the document twice to get your final Links.
c) "http://../With%2520Space" Links are always marked as non existent.
When I try to edit them, the content apears in the editor. After saving
they are still shown as non existent.

Wiki Syntax edited Links handled special chars and spaces well. Does
TinyMCE have to escape those? How can I stop it from doing this?

Thanks!
Sascha

ps.: Besides the links thing the editor ist just great! It works
perfectly even vor longer texts. Thanks a lot for such a neat tool.

Re: TinyMCE Wysiwyg Problems

Ludovic Dubost

Hi Sascha,

Thanks for the feedback.. It would be great if you reported this in
http://jira.xwiki.org
What would be usefull would be to write down what a correct behavior
should be.

Concerning IE saving, does it mean it goes through but does not save or
it doesn't go through at all ?
Are you running in "Multilingual" in the preferences (make sure you are
on Yes for this test). Maybe it's a problem with the mono-lingual mode.

Ludovic

Sascha Österle a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> I intesively tested the tinyMCE wysiwyg editor from the standalone
> package. (XWIKI 0.9.1000 - I know its a developer version) and
> discovered some problems. I would be gratefull for some
> hints/workarounds. If there are none I hope that my report is helpfull
> for the X-Team.
>
> 1) It does not always save when using Internet Explorer, but it is not
> clearly reproducable for me. Has anyone got a idea how to solve this
> (workaround or sth.)
>
> 2) It keeps Changing Links when saving
> [NoSpace] =>  [NoSpace] => [NoSpace]
> [With Space] => [With Space] => [With Space>With%20Space]
> [WithGermanCharÄ]  => [WithGermanCharÄ] => [WithGermanCharÄ]
> Legend: "=> means 'becomes when saving'"
>
> From now on, IE and Firefox both show very strange links in the status
> bar. I believe the URLs are escaped once more before displaying.
> This leads to:
>
> http://../With%2520Space.... for a link that should in my opinion be
> http://../With+Space or perhaps http://../With%20Space
>
> This leads to several Problems:
> a) IE not usable
> b) You have to save the document twice to get your final Links.
> c) "http://../With%2520Space" Links are always marked as non existent.
> When I try to edit them, the content apears in the editor. After
> saving they are still shown as non existent.
>
> Wiki Syntax edited Links handled special chars and spaces well. Does
> TinyMCE have to escape those? How can I stop it from doing this?
>
> Thanks!
> Sascha
>
> ps.: Besides the links thing the editor ist just great! It works
> perfectly even vor longer texts. Thanks a lot for such a neat tool.

Re: TinyMCE Wysiwyg Problems

Sascha Österle
Problem is partly solved. Sorry, im not into JIRA, got to communicate
via mail.

Part 1. wiki_editor.js changes:
The escaping of URL's in TinyMCE seems to be part of the problem. I
managed to turn it of by changing wiki_editor.js

in WikiEditor.prototype.init function add:

    params["convert_urls"] = true;        //true = default
    params["entity_encoding"] = 'name';    //'name' = default
    params["urlconverter_callback"] = 'myCustomURLConverter';
//handling URL conversion differently,
                                    //see myCustomURLConverter
add a new function to wiki_editor.js:

function myCustomURLConverter(url, node, on_save) {
    // Do some custom URL convertion
    url = TinyMCE.prototype.convertURL(url, node, on_save)
    url=unescape(url);
    return url;
}

What it does is getting the normal tinyMCE escaped URL, an unescape it.
After doing so, flush the cache and the nasty changing of links is gone.

The entity encoding is another interesting point. changing it to "raw"
means turning it of. this way the originaly entered links are preserved.
(which in my opinion would be the right way!) But this causes other
Problems with IE (see below).

Part 2. Problems left:
1) With IE sometimes a js error occures - then it does not save at all
(maybe a tinyMCE problem?)

2) Firefox and IE behave differently concerning URL escaping and saving.
IE sometimes saves to a wrong URL
if the link (in the source) contains a german umlaut (eg Ä) both, IE and
Firefox use the same URL for editing, eg: WithGermanChar%C4

Firefox saves under WithGermanChar%C4, but IE saves WithGermanCharÄ ->
leading to a "unchanged" WithGermanChar%C4 document.

The Problem seems to be all about escaping of non standard chars. This
must be an XWIKI problem, it happens with or without wysiwyg. Note:
Could this be caused by charset problems? This xwiki is running on a
Novell plattform. Tomcat is connected to apache via jk-connector.

MyWorkaround
1) Enabling entity_encoding in tinyMCE - which is default anyway, but
should not (in my opinion)
2) unescaping the URL's.

Minor thing: PDF Export then saves files like "Sandbox_&aum.pdf" which
is ugly but not a killer problem.

Sascha