Tomcat - 100% CPUa

Stefan Woehrer
Hi,

lately I've had problems with XWiki and Tomcat running on Windows Server 2003. The login's via Active Directory. About 10 people worked with the wiki when Tomcat CPU load suddenly increased to 100%. Only rebooting it helped :-( To work with the system is impossible, since the problem occured three times in three hours of "work"...
 In a quick view inside the logfiles i saw a bunch of ldap group mapping errors - although group mapping is disabled in the config file!
I can check the logfiles in detail on Monday.

Does anyone experience the same problem / does anyone have an idea on how to search for the reason?

cya,
Steve

Re: Tomcat - 100% CPUa

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 3:58 PM, Stefan Wöhrer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  lately I've had problems with XWiki and Tomcat running on Windows Server 2003. The login's via Active Directory. About 10 people worked with the wiki when Tomcat CPU load suddenly increased to 100%. Only rebooting it helped :-( To work with the system is impossible, since the problem occured three times in three hours of "work"...
>   In a quick view inside the logfiles i saw a bunch of ldap group mapping errors - although group mapping is disabled in the config file!
>  I can check the logfiles in detail on Monday.
>
>  Does anyone experience the same problem / does anyone have an idea on how to search for the reason?
>
>  cya,
>  Steve

Which XWiki Platform (or XE, XEM, etc.) version do you use ?

Could you attach you log file and the LDAP configuration you use ?
That way we could maybe have a more precise view of the problem.

Re: Tomcat - 100% CPUa

Stefan Woehrer
Hi,

I'm using XE 1.3.1

The "stdout_20080425.log" is full of error messages like this one:

"2008-04-25 10:52:27,064 [http://svxwiki/xwiki/bin/view/Main/DocumentDoesNotExist] [http-80-4] ERROR ldap.XWikiLDAPConfig            - Error parsing ldap_group_mapping attribute:  "

I get approximately 3 errors of that kind every SECOND (as you may guess, the system is kind of slow if there are working >5 ppl with it simultaniously).

In the xwiki.cfg i have the following ldap configurations:

xwiki.authentication.authclass=com.xpn.xwiki.user.impl.LDAP.XWikiLDAPAuthServiceImpl
xwiki.authentication.ldap=1
xwiki.authentication.ldap.server=svad01
xwiki.authentication.ldap.port=389
xwiki.authentication.ldap.validate_password=0
xwiki.authentication.ldap.UID_attr=sAMAccountName
xwiki.authentication.ldap.fields_mapping=name=sAMAccountName,last_name=sn,first_name=givenName,fullname=fullName,email=mail,ldap_dn=dn
xwiki.authentication.ldap.update_user=0 # (set to 0 without any success)
xwiki.authentication.ldap.mode_group_sync=create
xwiki.authentication.ldap.trylocal=1

xwiki.authentication.ldap.bind_DN=, xwiki.authentication.ldap.bind_pass and xwiki.authentication.ldap.base_DN are set correctly.

Can I provide you with any more information?

Thanks,
Steve

Thomas Mortagne wrote
On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 3:58 PM, Stefan Wöhrer <stefan_woehrer@yahoo.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  lately I've had problems with XWiki and Tomcat running on Windows Server 2003. The login's via Active Directory. About 10 people worked with the wiki when Tomcat CPU load suddenly increased to 100%. Only rebooting it helped :-( To work with the system is impossible, since the problem occured three times in three hours of "work"...
>   In a quick view inside the logfiles i saw a bunch of ldap group mapping errors - although group mapping is disabled in the config file!
>  I can check the logfiles in detail on Monday.
>
>  Does anyone experience the same problem / does anyone have an idea on how to search for the reason?
>
>  cya,
>  Steve

Which XWiki Platform (or XE, XEM, etc.) version do you use ?

Could you attach you log file and the LDAP configuration you use ?
That way we could maybe have a more precise view of the problem.

Re: Tomcat - 100% CPUa

The error "Error parsing ldap_group_mapping attribute.." appear when
you have a "group_mapping" property defined with a wrong value (not in
the form "xwikigroup=ldapgroup|xwikigroup2=ldapgroup2" and not empty)
in xwiki.cfg or XWiki.XWikiPreferences page object.

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 2:58 PM, Stefan Woehrer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>  >> how to search for the reason?
>  >>
>  >>  cya,
>  >>  Steve
>  >>
>  >>
>  >>  ---------------------------------
>  >>   Lesen Sie Ihre E-Mails auf dem Handy..
>  >>  _______________________________________________
>  >>  users mailing list
>  >>  [hidden email]
>  >>  http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users
>  >>
>  >
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > Which XWiki Platform (or XE, XEM, etc.) version do you use ?
>  >
>  > Could you attach you log file and the LDAP configuration you use ?
>  > That way we could maybe have a more precise view of the problem.

Re: Tomcat - 100% CPUa

Stefan Woehrer
Hi,

The line with group mapping is commented out like this:
#xwiki.authentication.ldap.group_mapping=XWiki.XWikiAdminGroup=cn=AdminRole,ou=groups,o=MegaNova,c=US|\
#                                         XWiki.Organisation=cn=testers,ou=groups,o=MegaNova,c=US

When I look on the XWiki.XWikiPreferences page I can see LDAP group mapping fields to fill in (when I look on the page objects).
I don't want to use group Mapping because in my structure it makes no sense. How could I turn it off properly? Obviously, simply commenting the stuff out doesn't work...

Thanks,
Steve

Thomas Mortagne wrote
Hi,

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 2:58 PM, Stefan Woehrer <stefan_woehrer@yahoo.de> wrote:

> [...]
>  >> how to search for the reason?
>  >>
>  >>  cya,
>  >>  Steve
>  >>
>  >>
>  >>  ---------------------------------
>  >>   Lesen Sie Ihre E-Mails auf dem Handy..
>  >>  _______________________________________________
>  >>  users mailing list
>  >>  users@xwiki.org
>  >>
>  >
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > Which XWiki Platform (or XE, XEM, etc.) version do you use ?
>  >
>  > Could you attach you log file and the LDAP configuration you use ?
>  > That way we could maybe have a more precise view of the problem.

Re: Tomcat - 100% CPUa

Simply empty "group_mapping" property value should work.

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 4:27 PM, Stefan Woehrer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>  >>  >
>  >>  > Could you attach you log file and the LDAP configuration you use ?
>  >>  > That way we could maybe have a more precise view of the problem.
>  >>  >
>  >>  > Thanks,
>  >>  >
>  >>  > --
>  >>  > Thomas Mortagne
>  >>  > _______________________________________________
>  >>  > users mailing list
>  >>  > [hidden email]
>  >>  > http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users
>  >>  >
>  >>  >
>  >>
>  >>  --
>  >> http://www.nabble.com/Tomcat---100--CPUa-tp16924175p16938316.html
>  >>  Sent from the XWiki- Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: Tomcat - 100% CPUa

Stefan Woehrer
Hi,

Now I have
"xwiki.authentication.ldap.group_mapping="

without any success - I get the same error message as before.

I have attached my cfg file (don't mind the 'na's in the file - that's just because I cut out sensitive information.)

xwiki_pub.cfg

Thank you,
Steve

Thomas Mortagne wrote

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 4:27 PM, Stefan Woehrer <stefan_woehrer@yahoo.de> wrote:

> [...]
>  >>  >
>  >>  > Which XWiki Platform (or XE, XEM, etc.) version do you use ?
>  >>  >
>  >>  > Could you attach you log file and the LDAP configuration you use ?
>  >>  > That way we could maybe have a more precise view of the problem.
>  >>  >
>  >>  > Thanks,
>  >>  >
>  >>  > --
>  >>  > Thomas Mortagne
>  >>  > _______________________________________________
>  >>  > users mailing list
>  >>  > users@xwiki.org
>  >>  >
>  >>  >
>  >>
>  >>  --
>  >> http://www.nabble.com/Tomcat---100--CPUa-tp16924175p16938316.html
>  >>  Sent from the XWiki- Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: Tomcat - 100% CPUa

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 4:49 PM, Stefan Woehrer <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
>  Now I have
>
> "xwiki.authentication.ldap.group_mapping="

XWiki.XWikiPreferences overwrite xwiki.cfg so if you have something in
it it will not try to look in xwiki.cfg.

> [...]
>  >>  >>  [hidden email]
>  >>  >>  http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >
>  >>  >
>  >>  >
>  >>  > --
>  >>  > Thomas Mortagne
>  >>  > _______________________________________________
>  >>  > users mailing list
>  >>  > [hidden email]
>  >>  > http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users
>  >>  >
>  >>  >
>  >>
>  >>  --
>  >> http://www.nabble.com/Tomcat---100--CPUa-tp16924175p16940085.html
>  >>
>  >>
>  >> Sent from the XWiki- Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: Tomcat - 100% CPUa

Stefan Woehrer
Hi,

the ldap fields on the XWiki.XWikiPreferences site are empty :-/
It really looks like XWiki tries to get some ldap group information which are not available... And what about the DocumentDoesNotExist - Page?

Thanks,
Steve

Thomas Mortagne wrote
On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 4:49 PM, Stefan Woehrer <stefan_woehrer@yahoo.de> wrote:

> [...]

>  >>  >>
>  >>  >>  _______________________________________________
>  >>  >>  users mailing list
>  >>  >>  users@xwiki.org
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >
>  >>  >
>  >>  >
>  >>  > --
>  >>  > Thomas Mortagne
>  >>  > _______________________________________________
>  >>  > users mailing list
>  >>  > users@xwiki.org
>  >>  >
>  >>  >
>  >>
>  >>  --
>  >> http://www.nabble.com/Tomcat---100--CPUa-tp16924175p16940085.html
>  >>
>  >>
>  >> Sent from the XWiki- Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: Tomcat - 100% CPUa

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 6:59 PM, Stefan Woehrer <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
>  the ldap fields on the XWiki.XWikiPreferences site are empty :-/

After tests some cases I think you were right and really found a bug
in LDAP authenticator properties parsing. Sorry for the battle :)
See http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XWIKI-2348

>  It really looks like XWiki tries to get some ldap group information which
>  are not available... And what about the DocumentDoesNotExist - Page?

This is the page where you are when you try to login to the wiki, it
has nothing to do with LDAP authentication.

> [...]
>  >>  >>  [hidden email]
>  >>  >>  http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >
>  >>  >
>  >>  >
>  >>  > --
>  >>  > Thomas Mortagne
>  >>  > _______________________________________________
>  >>  > users mailing list
>  >>  > [hidden email]
>  >>  > http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users
>  >>  >
>  >>  >
>  >>
>  >>  --
>  >> http://www.nabble.com/Tomcat---100--CPUa-tp16924175p16940613.html
>  >>
>  >>
>  >> Sent from the XWiki- Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: Tomcat - 100% CPUa

Stefan Woehrer

Oh I didn't notice that 1.3.3 stable is already online - so I won't get this problem with the new version?

I can try this tomorrow morning .... Thanks ;-)
Steve

Thomas Mortagne wrote
On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 6:59 PM, Stefan Woehrer <stefan_woehrer@yahoo.de> wrote:

> [...]

>  >>  >>
>  >>  >>  _______________________________________________
>  >>  >>  users mailing list
>  >>  >>  users@xwiki.org
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >
>  >>  >
>  >>  >
>  >>  > --
>  >>  > Thomas Mortagne
>  >>  > _______________________________________________
>  >>  > users mailing list
>  >>  > users@xwiki.org
>  >>  >
>  >>  >
>  >>
>  >>  --
>  >> http://www.nabble.com/Tomcat---100--CPUa-tp16924175p16940613.html
>  >>
>  >>
>  >> Sent from the XWiki- Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: Tomcat - 100% CPUa

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 8:07 PM, Stefan Woehrer <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Oh I didn't notice that 1.3.3 stable is already online - so I won't get this
>  problem with the new version?
>
>  I can try this tomorrow morning .... Thanks ;-)

No, 1.3.3 is not released yet, I'm fixing it today or tomorrow morning
and it will be included in 1.3.3 release.

> [...]
>  >>  >>  [hidden email]
>  >>  >>  http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >
>  >>  >
>  >>  >
>  >>  > --
>  >>  > Thomas Mortagne
>  >>  > _______________________________________________
>  >>  > users mailing list
>  >>  > [hidden email]
>  >>  > http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users
>  >>  >
>  >>  >
>  >>
>  >>  --
>  >> http://www.nabble.com/Tomcat---100--CPUa-tp16924175p16943301.html
>  >>
>  >>
>  >> Sent from the XWiki- Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: Tomcat - 100% CPUa

Hmm well I fixed the error message printing but it was just an error
message printing and it can't makes authentication fail in fact.

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 8:18 PM, Thomas Mortagne
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>  >  >>  _______________________________________________
>  >  >>  users mailing list
>  >  >>  [hidden email]
>  >  >>  http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users
>  >  >>
>  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  > --
>  >  > Thomas Mortagne
>  >  > _______________________________________________
>  >  > users mailing list
>  >  > [hidden email]
>  >  > http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users
>  >  >
>  >  >
>  >
>  >  --
>  >
>  >
>  > Sent from the XWiki- Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: Tomcat - 100% CPUa

Could you attach or provide a download link to your complete xwiki.log file ?

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 8:47 PM, Thomas Mortagne
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>  >  >  >>  _______________________________________________
>  >  >  >>  users mailing list
>  >  >  >>  [hidden email]
>  >  >  >>  http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users
>  >  >  >>
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  > --
>  >  >  > Thomas Mortagne
>  >  >  > _______________________________________________
>  >  >  > users mailing list
>  >  >  > [hidden email]
>  >  >  > http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  >  --
>  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  > Sent from the XWiki- Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: Tomcat - 100% CPUa

Stefan Woehrer

I see.
The authentication works fine (except of some random logoff happenings (yeah .. we already disabled the advanced edit mode...)). So if this was just a printing error it won't be the reason for the 100% cpu load of tomcat :-/

Yeah I can upload the xwiki.log tomorrow morning since I have no access to the system on my private pc ...

Sorry for the upcoming sleepless night ;-)
Steve

Thomas Mortagne wrote

<thomas.mortagne@xwiki.com> wrote:
> [...]
>  >  >  >> Sent from the XWiki- Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>  >  >  >>
>  >  >  >>  _______________________________________________
>  >  >  >>  users mailing list
>  >  >  >>  users@xwiki.org
>  >  >  >>
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  > --
>  >  >  > Thomas Mortagne
>  >  >  > _______________________________________________
>  >  >  > users mailing list
>  >  >  > users@xwiki.org
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  >  --
>  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  > Sent from the XWiki- Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: Tomcat - 100% CPUa

Bay the way, we had some 100% CPU problem too on xwiki.org but I did
not follow the debug process so I can't say what was the problem
exactly (but apparently it had nothing to do with LDAP has we don't
use it). I think it was fixed in 1.3.2.

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 9:05 PM, Stefan Woehrer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>  >>  >  >  >>  >>  >>
>  >>  >  >  >>  >>  >
>  >>  >  >  >>  >>  >
>  >>  >  >  >>  >>  >
>  >>  >  >  >>  >>  > --
>  >>  >  >  >>  >>  > Thomas Mortagne
>  >>  >  >  >>  >>  > _______________________________________________
>  >>  >  >  >>  >>  > users mailing list
>  >>  >  >  >>  >>  > [hidden email]
>  >>  >  >  >>  >>  > http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users
>  >>  >  >  >>  >>  >
>  >>  >  >  >>  >>  >
>  >>  >  >  >>  >>
>  >>  >  >  >>  >>  --
>  >>  >  >  >>  >>
>  >> http://www.nabble.com/Tomcat---100--CPUa-tp16924175p16940613.html
>  >>  >  >  >>  >>
>  >>  >  >  >>  >>
>  >>  >  >  >>  >> Sent from the XWiki- Users mailing list archive at
>  >> Nabble.com.
>  >>  >  >  >>  >>
>  >>  >  >  >>  >>  _______________________________________________
>  >>  >  >  >>  >>  users mailing list
>  >>  >  >  >>  >>  [hidden email]
>  >>  >  >  >>  >>  http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users
>  >>  >  >  >>  >>
>  >>  >  >  >>  >
>  >>  >  >  >>  >
>  >>  >  >  >>  >
>  >>  >  >  >>  > --
>  >>  >  >  >>  > Thomas Mortagne
>  >>  >  >  >>  > _______________________________________________
>  >>  >  >  >>  > users mailing list
>  >>  >  >  >>  > [hidden email]
>  >>  >  >  >>  > http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users
>  >>  >  >  >>  >
>  >>  >  >  >>  >
>  >>  >  >  >>
>  >>  >  >  >>  --
>  >>  >  >  >>
>  >> http://www.nabble.com/Tomcat---100--CPUa-tp16924175p16943301.html
>  >>  >  >  >>
>  >>  >  >  >>
>  >>  >  >  >> Sent from the XWiki- Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>  >>  >  >  >>
>  >>  >  >  >>  _______________________________________________
>  >>  >  >  >>  users mailing list
>  >>  >  >  >>  [hidden email]
>  >>  >  >  >>  http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users
>  >>  >  >  >>
>  >>  >  >  >
>  >>  >  >  >
>  >>  >  >  >
>  >>  >  >  > --
>  >>  >  >  > Thomas Mortagne
>  >>  >  >  > _______________________________________________
>  >>  >  >  > users mailing list
>  >>  >  >  > [hidden email]
>  >>  >  >  > http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users
>  >>  >  >  >
>  >>  >  >  >
>  >>  >  >
>  >>  >  >  --
>  >> http://www.nabble.com/Tomcat---100--CPUa-tp16924175p16944714.html
>  >>  >  >
>  >>  >  >
>  >>  >  > Sent from the XWiki- Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: Tomcat - 100% CPUa

Sergiu Dumitriu-2
Thomas Mortagne wrote:
> Bay the way, we had some 100% CPU problem too on xwiki.org but I did
> not follow the debug process so I can't say what was the problem
> exactly (but apparently it had nothing to do with LDAP has we don't
> use it). I think it was fixed in 1.3.2.

The problem on xwiki.org was that the PDF export loops somewhere...

We could use a stack trace from your system when this happens. Read
http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/Programming/Stacktrace/
to find out how to generate a stack trace.
http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Re: Tomcat - 100% CPUa

Stefan Woehrer

this is my xwiki - logfile. I have truncated it to the entries of 2008-04-25 (filesize). note the java exceptions between the "Error parsing ldap_group_mapping attribute:" lines.
The most common one is a primary key constraint violation exception. If I see this correctly, there is only one constraint concerned: PK__xwikircs__33D4B598
During the session, tomcat's CPU time increased to 100% two times.

"Violation of PRIMARY KEY constraint 'PK__xwikircs__33D4B598'. Cannot insert duplicate key in object 'xwikircs'."

By the way, do you experience problems especially with tomcat? Would it be better to switch to another webserver?

Here's the file: xwiki_20080425.log.gz

Thanks,
Steve

Thomas Mortagne wrote