Tomcat verison & WebHome url?

Linda Coleman
Hi All,

I am new to xwiki & have a couple of simple questions I was unable find in the documentation or the mailing list.

First, the documentation on installing xwiki on Win2K says I need Tomcat v4.1. I was wondering if Tomcat 5 would work & if there were any issues I needed to be aware of before trying to run xwiki in Tomcat 5.

Second, the url to the xwiki webhome is mydomain.com/xwiki/bin/view/Main/WebHome. I would like the url to be mydomian.com/xwiki. I noticed some people are using the redirect meta tag to accomplish this. xwiki.org seems to be using some other mechanism to other than a redirect to forward the user to the more complicated url. I was wondering if others have the same concern and how they resolved the issue.

Thanks for your help!!
Linda

Re: Tomcat verison & WebHome url?

Brian D. Switzer
On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 12:48:13 -0500, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Second, the url to the xwiki webhome is
> mydomain.com/xwiki/bin/view/Main/WebHome. I would like the url to be
> mydomian.com/xwiki. I noticed some people are using the redirect meta
> tag to accomplish this. xwiki.org seems to be using some other mechanism
> to other than a redirect to forward the user to the more complicated
> url. I was wondering if others have the same concern and how they
> resolved the issue.

I use an Apache Redirect to accomplish this:

Redirect permanent /index.html
http://myxwiki.server.com/xwiki/bin/view/Main/WebHome

So, for you it would look like this:

Redirect permanent /xwiki/index.html
http://myxwiki.server.com/xwiki/bin/view/Main/WebHome

The index.html file doesn't need to exist as long as it is defined as one
of the default index pages.  This assumes of course that you're using
Apache as a front end to the application server.

--
Brian D. Switzer
e-mail:  herkamur -=>at<=- canada -=>dot<=- com

Re: Tomcat verison & WebHome url?

Robin Fernandes

> I was wondering if Tomcat 5 would work
I'm running XWiki on Tomcat v5.5.15 on Windows XP with no problems.

Cheers,
Robin