Trackback in XWiki?

Frank Haefemeier
Hi,

is there a functionality in XWiki to send link information to a
trackback enabled application like Jira or receive this kind of
informations? And if not, what would be the easiest way to do this?

We would like to use XWiki in our company as a knowledge base. And if
there are automatically created links between jira and XWiki (in
both directions) this would be great.

For all of you who don't know what trackback is:
     http://www.sixapart.com/pronet/docs/trackback_spec

Bye
    Frank

Re: Trackback in XWiki?

Ludovic Dubost

Hi Frank,

There are not trackbacks yet in XWiki. We have been thinking that we
needed them for a while but did not find time to implement them.
A task in http://jira.xwiki.org would be useful. If anybody wants to
help implementing this, you are welcome.

Ludovic

Frank Häfemeier a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> is there a functionality in XWiki to send link information to a
> trackback enabled application like Jira or receive this kind of
> informations? And if not, what would be the easiest way to do this?
>
> We would like to use XWiki in our company as a knowledge base. And if
> there are automatically created links between jira and XWiki (in
> both directions) this would be great.
>
> For all of you who don't know what trackback is:
>      http://www.sixapart.com/pronet/docs/trackback_spec
>
> Bye
>     Frank

Skype: ldubost GTalk: ldubost
AIM: nvludo Yahoo: ludovic

Re: Trackback in XWiki?

kaaloo
Hi Frank,

I wrote a simple demo to illustrate a way to implement receiving
trackbacks in XWiki via an XWiki TrackbackClass and a simple Ping
script.  I have tested it on a standalone XWiki on my laptop.  You
need programming rights so you will not be able to do this on the
XWiki.com hosted service.  Just import the attached xar file in your
XWiki installation and check it out.  It may not work for you and
there may be plenty of security or anti-spam issues but you might be
able to tweak it to get what you want in an intranet environment
although it may require some expertise in XWiki application
development to do so.

It's quite easy to ping a trackback enabled application from XWiki
using groovy and the XML RPC apache library.  I wrote a script like
this quite a long time ago, but unfortunately I don't remember where.
It's about two lines of code.  This might again seem difficult if you
are not familiar with XWiki application programming.

If you can build on this to help implementing it like Ludovic says
that would be great !  It would probably require writing a plugin with
an action for doing this right.

Back to bizdev work after this small coding interlude !

Luis

On 2/13/07, Frank Häfemeier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is there a functionality in XWiki to send link information to a
> trackback enabled application like Jira or receive this kind of
> informations? And if not, what would be the easiest way to do this?
>
> We would like to use XWiki in our company as a knowledge base. And if
> there are automatically created links between jira and XWiki (in
> both directions) this would be great.
>
> For all of you who don't know what trackback is:
>      http://www.sixapart.com/pronet/docs/trackback_spec
>
> Bye
>     Frank

Luis Arias
http://www.xwiki.com
+33 6 14 20 87 93
skype : kaaloo

TrackbackDemo.xar (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Trackback in XWiki?

Guys,

It would be nice to attach all this in a jira issue so that it
doesn't get lost.

On Feb 14, 2007, at 9:35 AM, Luis Arias wrote:

> Hi Frank,
>
> I wrote a simple demo to illustrate a way to implement receiving
> trackbacks in XWiki via an XWiki TrackbackClass and a simple Ping
> script.  I have tested it on a standalone XWiki on my laptop.  You
> need programming rights so you will not be able to do this on the
> XWiki.com hosted service.  Just import the attached xar file in your
> XWiki installation and check it out.  It may not work for you and
> there may be plenty of security or anti-spam issues but you might be
> able to tweak it to get what you want in an intranet environment
> although it may require some expertise in XWiki application
> development to do so.
>
> It's quite easy to ping a trackback enabled application from XWiki
> using groovy and the XML RPC apache library.  I wrote a script like
> this quite a long time ago, but unfortunately I don't remember where.
> It's about two lines of code.  This might again seem difficult if you
> are not familiar with XWiki application programming.
>
> If you can build on this to help implementing it like Ludovic says
> that would be great !  It would probably require writing a plugin with
> an action for doing this right.
>
> Back to bizdev work after this small coding interlude !
>
> Luis
>
> On 2/13/07, Frank Häfemeier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> is there a functionality in XWiki to send link information to a
>> trackback enabled application like Jira or receive this kind of
>> informations? And if not, what would be the easiest way to do this?
>>
>> We would like to use XWiki in our company as a knowledge base. And if
>> there are automatically created links between jira and XWiki (in
>> both directions) this would be great.
>>
>> For all of you who don't know what trackback is:
>>      http://www.sixapart.com/pronet/docs/trackback_spec
>>
>> Bye
>>     Frank
>>

>> --
>> You receive this message as a subscriber of the xwiki-

> Luis Arias
> http://www.xwiki.com
> +33 6 14 20 87 93
> skype : kaaloo
> <TrackbackDemo.xar>
>
> --
> You receive this message as a subscriber of the xwiki-
> wws

Re: Trackback in XWiki?

kaaloo
Ok done, I proposed a mini spec, it probably needs some more thought.
I also made a mistake in my previous post to Frank because the code I
wrote was for pinging a service like technorati (the two line groovy
code).  To be able to trackback from XWiki to a trackback enabled
application is a little more complicated and has an impact on the user
interface.

http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XWIKI-863

Luis

Luis Arias