Translations

12

Translations

Stefan Bachert
Hi,

to translate texts into a more correct german I extracted ApplicationResources_de.properties to WEB_INF/lib.
This seems to work. I am willing to share this with others, however, it would took days when I am using the i10n.xwiki.org facility.

However, some translation I did not found. One of them comes up when trying to login.
In the last line of the dialog the texts are still in english "Forgot your username or password".
This text is NOT part of the property file.
Where is the place to translate this texts?

Stefan Bachert

Re: Translations

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 17:30, stefan bachert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> to translate texts into a more correct german I extracted ApplicationResources_de.properties to WEB_INF/lib.
> This seems to work. I am willing to share this with others, however, it would took days when I am using the i10n.xwiki.org facility.
>

> However, some translation I did not found. One of them comes up when trying to login.
> In the last line of the dialog the texts are still in english "Forgot your username or password".
> This text is NOT part of the property file.
> Where is the place to translate this texts?

You don't have it in the ApplicationResources_de.properties because no
translation has been provided for it. The place to translate any text
in always http://l10n.xwiki.org, i doubt you can't find the right keys
in it.

> Stefan Bachert

Re: Translations

Stefan Bachert
Hi,

some texts used in the login dialog are neither in ApplicationResources_de.properties nor in ApplicationResources.properties
nor in i10n.xwiki.org. And using i10n.xwiki.org is very ugly and inefficient. You can drink a cup of coffee after sending a request

The following text is part of the login dialog
key:remembermeonthiscomp found in i10n, ApplicationResources(de,default)
Text:Auf diesem Computer angemeldet bleiben

However, there are translated texts like "Forgot your username?". Obviously they are not used at this place.

it seems on the long run I have to check the code directly.

Stefan Bachert

________________________________
On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 17:30, stefan bachert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> to translate texts into a more correct german I extracted ApplicationResources_de.properties to WEB_INF/lib.
> This seems to work. I am willing to share this with others, however, it would took days when I am using the i10n.xwiki.org facility.
>

> However, some translation I did not found. One of them comes up when trying to login.
> In the last line of the dialog the texts are still in english "Forgot your username or password".
> This text is NOT part of the property file.
> Where is the place to translate this texts?

You don't have it in the ApplicationResources_de.properties because no
translation has been provided for it. The place to translate any text
in always http://l10n.xwiki.org, i doubt you can't find the right keys
in it.

> Stefan Bachert

Re: Translations

Hi Stefan,

On Feb 24, 2010, at 9:46 AM, stefan bachert wrote:

> Hi,
>
> some texts used in the login dialog are neither in ApplicationResources_de.properties nor in ApplicationResources.properties
> nor in i10n.xwiki.org. And using i10n.xwiki.org is very ugly and inefficient.

This is not very polite. I'd suggest you refrain yourself from criticizing too strongly the work of others unless you can prove you can do better. It's also not the way you're going to get more of the free support you've been getting for the past several days here.

Now on a positive thought:
Why don't you improve it? Just send patches and xwiki committers will review them and commit them if they're good.

> You can drink a cup of coffee after sending a request

> The following text is part of the login dialog
> key:remembermeonthiscomp found in i10n, ApplicationResources(de,default)
> Text:Auf diesem Computer angemeldet bleiben
>
> However, there are translated texts like "Forgot your username?". Obviously they are not used at this place.
>
> it seems on the long run I have to check the code directly.
>

> Stefan Bachert
>

> ________________________________

Re: Translations

Valdis Vītoliņš
I can share my experience as localizer for Xwiki in Latvian.

> Hi,
> some texts used in the login dialog are neither in ApplicationResources_de.properties nor in ApplicationResources.properties
> nor in i10n.xwiki.org. And using i10n.xwiki.org is very ugly and inefficient. You can drink a cup of coffee after sending a request

First few thousand of lines I translated offline using resource file and
it was imported by Ludovic Dubost.
Further improvements/additions I do online. Provided search was not good
enough for me, so I helped to improve it.
Actually I'd like to change it once more because for me searching by
(poorly) translated text, not the key is more usual. What do you think?

To solve issue that site is quite slow, it should be investigated about
caching possibilities, or import/export tool would be nice, but somebody
needs to develop it.
Though, if so many people can live with Windows, i10n.xwiki.org is not
the worst one, which teaches us to manage our time with computer
accordingly ;-)

> The following text is part of the login dialog
> key:remembermeonthiscomp found in i10n, ApplicationResources(de,default)
> Text:Auf diesem Computer angemeldet bleiben
>
> However, there are translated texts like "Forgot your username?". Obviously they are not used at this place.
> it seems on the long run I have to check the code directly.

Currently not all labels are made to use external resources, but it is
changing incrementally.

Valdis

Re: Translations

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 09:46, stefan bachert <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> some texts used in the login dialog are neither in ApplicationResources_de.properties nor in ApplicationResources.properties
> nor in i10n.xwiki.org. And using i10n.xwiki.org is very ugly and inefficient. You can drink a cup of coffee after sending a request

If the key you are searching is not in ApplicationResources.properties
then that's the bug and the text you are trying to translate is
probably hardcoded and does not use l10n system. You should report it
on http://jira.xwiki.org

> The following text is part of the login dialog
> key:remembermeonthiscomp found in i10n, ApplicationResources(de,default)
> Text:Auf diesem Computer angemeldet bleiben
>
> However, there are translated texts like "Forgot your username?". Obviously they are not used at this place.
>
> it seems on the long run I have to check the code directly.
>

> Stefan Bachert
>

> ________________________________

Re: Translations

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:38, Valdis Vītoliņš <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I can share my experience as localizer for Xwiki in Latvian.
>
>> Hi,
>> some texts used in the login dialog are neither in ApplicationResources_de.properties nor in ApplicationResources.properties
>> nor in i10n.xwiki.org. And using i10n.xwiki.org is very ugly and inefficient. You can drink a cup of coffee after sending a request
>
> First few thousand of lines I translated offline using resource file and
> it was imported by Ludovic Dubost.

Yes that's what is explained on
http://l10n.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/L10N/AddALanguage

> Further improvements/additions I do online. Provided search was not good
> enough for me, so I helped to improve it.
> Actually I'd like to change it once more because for me searching by
> (poorly) translated text, not the key is more usual. What do you think?

Yes good idea. I could easily do a extended search form I guess like:

o search in translated
o search in original
o search in key

> To solve issue that site is quite slow, it should be investigated about
> caching possibilities, or import/export tool would be nice, but somebody

There is a lot of caching, if you load a page once then it's
refreshing instantly after. Now when you modify something the caches
that can be changed by the modification made are cleaned and so take
so time to reconstruct the stats tables. We could improve that by
modifying the cache instead of cleaning it but it's more work.

> needs to develop it.
> Though, if so many people can live with Windows, i10n.xwiki.org is not
> the worst one, which teaches us to manage our time with computer
> accordingly ;-)
>
>> The following text is part of the login dialog
>> key:remembermeonthiscomp found in i10n, ApplicationResources(de,default)
>> Text:Auf diesem Computer angemeldet bleiben
>>
>> However, there are translated texts like "Forgot your username?". Obviously they are not used at this place.
>> it seems on the long run I have to check the code directly.
>
> Currently not all labels are made to use external resources, but it is
> changing incrementally.
>
> Valdis

Re: Translations

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 11:52, Thomas Mortagne
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:38, Valdis Vītoliņš <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I can share my experience as localizer for Xwiki in Latvian.
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> some texts used in the login dialog are neither in ApplicationResources_de.properties nor in ApplicationResources.properties
>>> nor in i10n.xwiki.org. And using i10n.xwiki.org is very ugly and inefficient. You can drink a cup of coffee after sending a request
>>
>> First few thousand of lines I translated offline using resource file and
>> it was imported by Ludovic Dubost.
>
> Yes that's what is explained on
> http://l10n.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/L10N/AddALanguage
>
>> Further improvements/additions I do online. Provided search was not good
>> enough for me, so I helped to improve it.
>> Actually I'd like to change it once more because for me searching by
>> (poorly) translated text, not the key is more usual. What do you think?
>
> Yes good idea. I could easily do a extended search form I guess like:
>
> o search in translated
> o search in original
> o search in key
>

>> To solve issue that site is quite slow, it should be investigated about
>> caching possibilities, or import/export tool would be nice, but somebody
>
> There is a lot of caching, if you load a page once then it's
> refreshing instantly after. Now when you modify something the caches
> that can be changed by the modification made are cleaned and so take
> so time to reconstruct the stats tables. We could improve that by
> modifying the cache instead of cleaning it but it's more work.

Hmm i never tried the search before now and indeed it's very slow i
will see if i can do something to improve it.

>> needs to develop it.
>> Though, if so many people can live with Windows, i10n.xwiki.org is not
>> the worst one, which teaches us to manage our time with computer
>> accordingly ;-)
>>
>>> The following text is part of the login dialog
>>> key:remembermeonthiscomp found in i10n, ApplicationResources(de,default)
>>> Text:Auf diesem Computer angemeldet bleiben
>>>
>>> However, there are translated texts like "Forgot your username?". Obviously they are not used at this place.
>>> it seems on the long run I have to check the code directly.
>>
>> Currently not all labels are made to use external resources, but it is
>> changing incrementally.
>>
>> Valdis

Re: Translations

hel-o

id also like to suggest, that we come to some form of cooperation in doing the german translation since i did most part of it till yet (and hope that not all of it is incorrect german :).

One question to the developers is there a possibility to have a editable page or space in the translation wiki wher translators could share their thougts and keep a terminology for their language.

Thanks
hel.

semantic-web.hel.at
hel@hel.at

Re: Translations

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 11:55, Thomas Mortagne
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 11:52, Thomas Mortagne
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:38, Valdis Vītoliņš <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I can share my experience as localizer for Xwiki in Latvian.

>>> First few thousand of lines I translated offline using resource file and
>>> it was imported by Ludovic Dubost.
>>
>> Yes that's what is explained on
>> http://l10n.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/L10N/AddALanguage
>>
>>> Further improvements/additions I do online. Provided search was not good
>>> enough for me, so I helped to improve it.
>>> Actually I'd like to change it once more because for me searching by
>>> (poorly) translated text, not the key is more usual. What do you think?
>>
>> Yes good idea. I could easily do a extended search form I guess like:
>>
>> o search in translated
>> o search in original
>> o search in key
>>

>>> To solve issue that site is quite slow, it should be investigated about
>>> caching possibilities, or import/export tool would be nice, but somebody
>>
>> There is a lot of caching, if you load a page once then it's
>> refreshing instantly after. Now when you modify something the caches
>> that can be changed by the modification made are cleaned and so take
>> so time to reconstruct the stats tables. We could improve that by
>> modifying the cache instead of cleaning it but it's more work.
>
> Hmm i never tried the search before now and indeed it's very slow i
> will see if i can do something to improve it.

And by the way after searching something you go to
http://l10n.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/L10N/Search and here you have an
extended search already.

>>> needs to develop it.
>>> Though, if so many people can live with Windows, i10n.xwiki.org is not
>>> the worst one, which teaches us to manage our time with computer
>>> accordingly ;-)

>>> Currently not all labels are made to use external resources, but it is
>>> changing incrementally.
>>>
>>> Valdis

>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: Translations

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 11:56, Thomas Mortagne
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 11:55, Thomas Mortagne
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 11:52, Thomas Mortagne
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Yes that's what is explained on
>>> http://l10n.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/L10N/AddALanguage

>>> Yes good idea. I could easily do a extended search form I guess like:
>>>
>>> o search in translated
>>> o search in original
>>> o search in key

>>> There is a lot of caching, if you load a page once then it's
>>> refreshing instantly after. Now when you modify something the caches
>>> that can be changed by the modification made are cleaned and so take
>>> so time to reconstruct the stats tables. We could improve that by
>>> modifying the cache instead of cleaning it but it's more work.
>>
>> Hmm i never tried the search before now and indeed it's very slow i
>> will see if i can do something to improve it.
>
> And by the way after searching something you go to
> http://l10n.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/L10N/Search and here you have an
> extended search already.

(If you use the search panel or the left, and not the standard XWiki search)

>>> --
>>> Thomas Mortagne
>>>

>> --
>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: Search for translations

Valdis Vītoliņš
> >> Actually I'd like to change it once more because for me searching by
> >> (poorly) translated text, not the key is more usual. What do you think?
> >
> > Yes good idea. I could easily do a extended search form I guess like:
> >
> > o search in translated
> > o search in original
> > o search in key

It is already implemented in
http://l10n.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/L10N/Search
I  propose to change "Search translation" field shown in home page
from key to translated text in panel
http://l10n.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/L10NCode/SearchPanel
(I have no edit rights to do it myself).

> Hmm i never tried the search before now and indeed it's very slow i
> will see if i can do something to improve it.

Good luck in your investigation!
Valdis

Re: Translations

On 02/24/2010 11:55 AM, hel-o wrote:

> Hi,
>
> id also like to suggest, that we come to some form of cooperation in doing
> the german translation since i did most part of it till yet (and hope that
> not all of it is incorrect german :).
>
> One question to the developers is there a possibility to have a editable
> page or space in the translation wiki wher translators could share their
> thougts and keep a terminology for their language.

Yes, we did this for .ro at

http://l10n.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Discussion/XE_Ro

You can google-translate it to see what kind of discussion we had.

http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Re: Translations

Hi Stefan,

On Feb 24, 2010, at 9:59 AM, Vincent Massol wrote:

> Hi Stefan,
>
> On Feb 24, 2010, at 9:46 AM, stefan bachert wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> some texts used in the login dialog are neither in ApplicationResources_de.properties nor in ApplicationResources.properties
>> nor in i10n.xwiki.org. And using i10n.xwiki.org is very ugly and inefficient.
>
> This is not very polite. I'd suggest you refrain yourself from criticizing too strongly the work of others unless you can prove you can do better. It's also not the way you're going to get more of the free support you've been getting for the past several days here.

Ok I was told that you probably didn't really mean "ugly". Words are powerful so they need to be chosen carefully...

Sergiu pointed to me that on small resolutions the table is overflowing on the main page. It used to work fine so someone must have changed the CSS. This can be fixed easily. I've pinged Caty (she's done the theme/CSS for l10n) to see if she can fix it.

Criticism is good and really needed to improve so please continue reporting shortfalls but please try to say them in a nice manner, that helps a lot. And if you have suggestions we'd love to hear them too.

> Now on a positive thought:
> Why don't you improve it? Just send patches and xwiki committers will review them and commit them if they're good.

That still stands! All help is most welcome. Nobody is "responsible" for l10n and everyone tries to help in his free time.

Thanks
-Vincent (speaking for myself here of course, I'm not representing the xwiki project or anything like that)

>> You can drink a cup of coffee after sending a request

>> The following text is part of the login dialog
>> key:remembermeonthiscomp found in i10n, ApplicationResources(de,default)
>> Text:Auf diesem Computer angemeldet bleiben
>>
>> However, there are translated texts like "Forgot your username?". Obviously they are not used at this place.
>>
>> it seems on the long run I have to check the code directly.
>>

>> Stefan Bachert
>>

>> ________________________________

Re: Translations

adoro
Hi Stefan,

bitte nicht schimpfen, lieber mitmachen und helfen …

Please don't rant on how bad is XWiki internationalized  - better help to improve translations.
XWiki it open source peoduct, that means:
You have always free choice:

  - not  to use XWiki, if you find it bad
  - to consume XWiki and be satisfied with the work of other people, which you get for free
  - participate in the development if you will have it better.

It was a great work of many contributors to get XWiki running in different languages. This work is not finished yet and any help is appreciated.

E.g. there are some missing translations and hard coded messages in English – partially in javascript files from third party developers, partially in xml files from a default set of XWiki pages (.xar-Archiv), partially in templates.

As to your question:
>> In the last line of the dialog the texts are still in english "Forgot your username or password".

This message comes from  /templates/login.vm

#if($xwiki.exists("XWiki.ResetPassword"))
#end

- just translate english words in German.
Or better – create one new keyword for this message and replace it with $msg.get (‘keyword’).

If you are not satisfied or don't agree with the meaning of some translations in ApplicationResources_de file, you can also create your own local page with translations inside your wiki – in this case values from ApplicationRecourses_de will be overwritten  - see “Using properties located in XWiki pages“) -  http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/DevGuide/InternationalizingApplications
Best Regards,
Alla

Re: Translations discussion

Valdis Vītoliņš
Will the new page
http://l10n.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Discussions/German
be ok?

Valdis

> Hi,
>
> id also like to suggest, that we come to some form of cooperation in doing
> the german translation since i did most part of it till yet (and hope that
> not all of it is incorrect german :).
>
> One question to the developers is there a possibility to have a editable
> page or space in the translation wiki wher translators could share their
> thougts and keep a terminology for their language.
>
> Thanks
> hel.
>

> -----
> semantic-web.hel.at

Re: Translations

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 11:55, hel-o <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> id also like to suggest, that we come to some form of cooperation in doing
> the german translation since i did most part of it till yet (and hope that
> not all of it is incorrect german :).
>
> One question to the developers is there a possibility to have a editable
> page or space in the translation wiki wher translators could share their
> thougts and keep a terminology for their language.

Sounds a good idea indeed. We could have a page by language you access
by clicking on the flags on the right for example. When you are in the
main page it goes to a page related to the whole wiki and then you can
also create a page related to each application that has the global
page as parent (the flag panel would change the link based on the
context).

Lets say

/L10N/TranslationRules: general rules whatever the application or language
/L10N/TranslationRules_<language>: general rules about the language
"language" whatever the application
/<APP>/TranslationRules : any specific about the application "APP"
whatever the language
/<APP>/TranslationRules_<language>: any specific about the application
"APP" in language "language"

For a specific translation key you can directly comment on the
translation page like
http://l10n.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Wysiwyg/WysiwygStringsproperties_-541814232_imageTooltip_zh_TW

What don't you think ?

On Feb 24, 2010, at 1:18 PM, Valdis Vītoliņš wrote:

> Will the new page
> http://l10n.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Discussions/German
> be ok?

This sounds like a very good idea to me!

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 13:18, Valdis Vītoliņš <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Will the new page
> http://l10n.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Discussions/German
> be ok?

Could you look at my general proposal on the original mail thread. I
think it's better than creating wild discussion pages on l10n wiki.

On Feb 24, 2010, at 2:30 PM, Vincent Massol wrote:

> On Feb 24, 2010, at 1:18 PM, Valdis Vītoliņš wrote:
>
>> Will the new page
>> http://l10n.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Discussions/German
>> be ok?
>
> This sounds like a very good idea to me!

For now I've added a link from the Quick Links panel.

>> Valdis
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> id also like to suggest, that we come to some form of cooperation in doing
>>> the german translation since i did most part of it till yet (and hope that
>>> not all of it is incorrect german :).
>>>
>>> One question to the developers is there a possibility to have a editable
>>> page or space in the translation wiki wher translators could share their
>>> thougts and keep a terminology for their language.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> hel.

12