[UX][Idea] User Index Cards

This proposal displays an additional layout mode for the User Index, where
users are displayed using cards.
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/Users/UserIndex/UserIndexCards/WebHome/userindex_proposal.png

This idea was proposed / discussed by Nicolas Lemoine. The initial purpose
was to improve the UI of our User Index.

I've iterated also on some other ideas, like application specific actions
integration inside content menu, user actions (send message, follow) in the
card display, user groups display, etc.

Proposal:
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Users/UserIndex/UserIndexCards/

Let me know what you think,

Re: [UX][Idea] User Index Cards

Looks very nice but it's not clear for me what is supported in
"Filter..." input. Would it support filtering on any property like the
livetable does ?

Custom columns and filtering on them is the reason why I go to the
user index 90% of the time :)

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 4:13 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)

> This proposal displays an additional layout mode for the User Index, where
> users are displayed using cards.
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/Users/UserIndex/UserIndexCards/WebHome/userindex_proposal.png
>
> This idea was proposed / discussed by Nicolas Lemoine. The initial purpose
> was to improve the UI of our User Index.
>
> I've iterated also on some other ideas, like application specific actions
> integration inside content menu, user actions (send message, follow) in the
> card display, user groups display, etc.
>
> Proposal:
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Users/UserIndex/UserIndexCards/
>
> Let me know what you think,
> Caty

Re: [UX][Idea] User Index Cards

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
Well the livetable will not be removed, you will still have it in the other
view.

The "Filter..." would mostly/at least filter by name, but it depends how we
implement it. It would be nice to be able to make advanced queries like
"group:XWikiAdmin group:Committers SAS" or look for email addresses, but
this is just wishful thinking.

It's hard to find a replacement for the filtering capabilities of the
livetable and this is not the purpose of this proposal. Unfortunately the
livetable is not necessarily good looking and suited for all the use cases.
Users are expecting User Directories / Indexes / People / Contacts to look
in a certain way, and currently that is proposed by using cards.

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 5:22 PM, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Looks very nice but it's not clear for me what is supported in
> "Filter..." input. Would it support filtering on any property like the
> livetable does ?
>
> Custom columns and filtering on them is the reason why I go to the
> user index 90% of the time :)
>
> On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 4:13 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > This proposal displays an additional layout mode for the User Index,
> where
> > users are displayed using cards.
> > http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/Users/
> UserIndex/UserIndexCards/WebHome/userindex_proposal.png
> >
> > This idea was proposed / discussed by Nicolas Lemoine. The initial
> purpose
> > was to improve the UI of our User Index.
> >
> > I've iterated also on some other ideas, like application specific actions
> > integration inside content menu, user actions (send message, follow) in
> the
> > card display, user groups display, etc.
> >
> > Proposal:
> > http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Users/
> UserIndex/UserIndexCards/
> >
> > Let me know what you think,
> > Caty

Re: [UX][Idea] User Index Cards

Hi Caty and all,

It’s very nice looking! :)

Some questions:

* What is the alert bell doing?
* What is the bubble doing? Sending some message to a user? :) That looks nice.
* What is the email icon doing? Sending some email to a user? We’ll need to implement that (not hard) since we don’t do this ATM.
* Those are nice features which could be backported to the LT too as actions maybe?
* The groups listing is nice although the implementation may not be that trivial for perf reasons
* IMO the filter should be a search with the full power of the search, just restricted to pages with XWikiUsers objects.

Actually I would love to see a new layout for search results and have a search macro to be able to put the search on any page with the ability to configure not having the facets displayed and to specify the layout to use. It would be awesome too that the search would offer some UIXP to display a type of search results. For example here, based on the XObject type, find a UIX in the wiki that has the code to display a user object.

If we could do this then this user directory view would only be a matter of using this search macro and we could use that in lots of other places in very nice ways.

In summary this idea is a generalization of what you’re proposing.

If I were to implement your idea Caty, I would explore implementing it this way.

What do others think?

PS: I remember discussing this somewhere else but I don’t recall where.

> On 7 Jun 2018, at 16:50, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Well the livetable will not be removed, you will still have it in the other
> view.
>
> The "Filter..." would mostly/at least filter by name, but it depends how we
> implement it. It would be nice to be able to make advanced queries like
> "group:XWikiAdmin group:Committers SAS" or look for email addresses, but
> this is just wishful thinking.
>
> It's hard to find a replacement for the filtering capabilities of the
> livetable and this is not the purpose of this proposal. Unfortunately the
> livetable is not necessarily good looking and suited for all the use cases.
> Users are expecting User Directories / Indexes / People / Contacts to look
> in a certain way, and currently that is proposed by using cards.
>
> Thanks,
> Caty
>
> On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 5:22 PM, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Looks very nice but it's not clear for me what is supported in
>> "Filter..." input. Would it support filtering on any property like the
>> livetable does ?
>>
>> Custom columns and filtering on them is the reason why I go to the
>> user index 90% of the time :)
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 4:13 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi devs,
>>>
>>> This proposal displays an additional layout mode for the User Index,
>> where
>>> users are displayed using cards.
>>> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/Users/
>> UserIndex/UserIndexCards/WebHome/userindex_proposal.png
>>>
>>> This idea was proposed / discussed by Nicolas Lemoine. The initial
>> purpose
>>> was to improve the UI of our User Index.
>>>
>>> I've iterated also on some other ideas, like application specific actions
>>> integration inside content menu, user actions (send message, follow) in
>> the
>>> card display, user groups display, etc.
>>>
>>> Proposal:
>>> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Users/
>> UserIndex/UserIndexCards/
>>>
>>> Let me know what you think,
>>> Caty
>>

>> --
>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: [UX][Idea] User Index Cards

I forgot one item:

* Seems we would have some UIX to add 2 buttons in the edit menu and these UIX would have some conditions so that they’re only visible for the user directory page. It would be nicer to introduce a new Visibility scope for UIX and be able to register them with a page scope to avoid them being evaluated for every single page.

Thanks
-Vinent

> [...]
>> livetable and this is not the purpose of this proposal. Unfortunately the
>> livetable is not necessarily good looking and suited for all the use cases.
>> Users are expecting User Directories / Indexes / People / Contacts to look
>> in a certain way, and currently that is proposed by using cards.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Caty
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 5:22 PM, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Looks very nice but it's not clear for me what is supported in
>>> "Filter..." input. Would it support filtering on any property like the
>>> livetable does ?
>>>
>>> Custom columns and filtering on them is the reason why I go to the
>>> user index 90% of the time :)

>>> where
>>> UserIndex/UserIndexCards/WebHome/userindex_proposal.png

Re: [UX][Idea] User Index Cards

On Fri, Jun 8, 2018 at 11:21 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Caty and all,
>
> It’s very nice looking! :)
>
> Some questions:
>
> * What is the alert bell doing?

We currently have the "Follow" functionality
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Notifications%20Application/#HFilterauser
and since it's related to the Notifications, I've replaced the text button
with the icon with 2 states.

> * What is the bubble doing? Sending some message to a user? :) That looks
> nice.

Yes, the bubble would be for Send Message functionality in the future.
Thinking about where the Send message would be placed, the locations that
came in mind where User Profile and User Index.

> * What is the email icon doing? Sending some email to a user? We’ll need
> to implement that (not hard) since we don’t do this ATM.

Yes, this is not implemented, but it acts like an example of other
functions we could add in that area. If there where even more we could
extend by using a 'kebab' icon :)
In companies users care about ways to contact other employees, so that's
why having a rapid way to get the email address and telephone is
convenient. That was the logic behind the icon proposal.

> * Those are nice features which could be backported to the LT too as
> actions maybe?

Yes, also what fields are displayed in the cards representation should be
equivalent to LT columns that the Admin can select using the "Customize"
functionality.

* The groups listing is nice although the implementation may not be that
> trivial for perf reasons

I've displayed the groups since I've found 2 related JIRA issues related to
knowing which groups an user belongs too. Besides the rights advantages,
groups or even tags are used to mark individual teams, etc.

> * IMO the filter should be a search with the full power of the search,
> just restricted to pages with XWikiUsers objects.
>
> Actually I would love to see a new layout for search results and have a
> search macro to be able to put the search on any page with the ability to
> configure not having the facets displayed and to specify the layout to use.
> It would be awesome too that the search would offer some UIXP to display a
> type of search results. For example here, based on the XObject type, find a
> UIX in the wiki that has the code to display a user object.
>
> If we could do this then this user directory view would only be a matter
> of using this search macro and we could use that in lots of other places in
> very nice ways.
>
> In summary this idea is a generalization of what you’re proposing.

That would be great to be able to tackle the power of our search and the
ability to provide multiple views. This proposal could be implemented as an
alternative layour for Search or even as an alternative for Livetables.

When I did this proposal I've reused the Search cards results display I've
created for the extensions proposal, see
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/exoGrid/afterSearch.png

> If I were to implement your idea Caty, I would explore implementing it
> this way.
>
> What do others think?

> PS: I remember discussing this somewhere else but I don’t recall where.
>

> > On 7 Jun 2018, at 16:50, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Well the livetable will not be removed, you will still have it in the
> other
> > view.
> >
> > The "Filter..." would mostly/at least filter by name, but it depends how
> we
> > implement it. It would be nice to be able to make advanced queries like
> > "group:XWikiAdmin group:Committers SAS" or look for email addresses, but
> > this is just wishful thinking.
> >
> > It's hard to find a replacement for the filtering capabilities of the
> > livetable and this is not the purpose of this proposal. Unfortunately the
> > livetable is not necessarily good looking and suited for all the use
> cases.
> > Users are expecting User Directories / Indexes / People / Contacts to
> look
> > in a certain way, and currently that is proposed by using cards.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Caty
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 5:22 PM, Thomas Mortagne <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Looks very nice but it's not clear for me what is supported in
> >> "Filter..." input. Would it support filtering on any property like the
> >> livetable does ?
> >>
> >> Custom columns and filtering on them is the reason why I go to the
> >> user index 90% of the time :)

> >> where
> >> UserIndex/UserIndexCards/WebHome/userindex_proposal.png

> >> purpose

> actions
> >> the

> >> UserIndex/UserIndexCards/

> >> --
> >> Thomas Mortagne

Re: [UX][Idea] User Index Cards

On Fri, Jun 8, 2018 at 11:22 AM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I forgot one item:
>
> * Seems we would have some UIX to add 2 buttons in the edit menu and these
> UIX would have some conditions so that they’re only visible for the user
> directory page. It would be nicer to introduce a new Visibility scope for
> UIX and be able to register them with a page scope to avoid them being
> evaluated for every single page.

UIXP are very good at adding new extensions, but not that great in removing
/ controlling those extensions. Currently this is done through Velocity
conditions, but a more generic Visibility or Registration scope would be
ideal.

The topic of controlling the content menu area is present in many other
proposals and it affects the users especially in AWM apps. Being able to
remove the classic Create page button with a Create entity button is the
end goal. Also having dedicated Create buttons for Wiki Index (Create
Wiki), User Index (Create User), App Index (Create App), etc. would allow
users to have a dedicated Create / Actions area that is customizable
depending on the context.

Thanks for your comments. Indeed, this proposal is not a final one and it's
more of an exploration of what we should do in the future.