[UX][Polishing] Modals Overview

I've made an overview of our usage of modals and popovers. You can find it
at:
https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Polishing10x/PolishingModals/

Ideally we should use as few methods as possible of displaying
modals/popovers/tooltips, in order to assure a consistent user experience.
Also there are some components that could be deprecated / refreshed.

I did my best to visually find all the locations, but I'm missing some
alerts for extreme compatibility cases. Let me know if something is missing
and your thoughts.

Re: [UX][Polishing] Modals Overview

Stéphane Laurière-6
Hi Caty, hi all,

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica):
> Hi devs,
>
> I've made an overview of our usage of modals and popovers. You can findit
> at:
> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Polishing10x/PolishingModals/
>
> Ideally we should use as few methods as possible of displaying
> modals/popovers/tooltips, in order to assure a consistent user experience.
> Also there are some components that could be deprecated / refreshed.

That's a very useful overview! I'd be possibly interested in implementing popovers for the PageRelations extension to display page previews on rollover. Do you have any recommendation regarding the library that we may use for this? The feature could possibly be used for showing page previews in a similar way as Mediawiki:

   https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Page_Previews

PageRelations extension: https://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Page%20Relations%20Application/

I noticed an existing extension proposing previews for office documents, but I could not find one for showing wiki page previews:

   https://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Add%20Preview%20Links

Has the feature already been considered? What do you think?

Cheers

Stéphane

--
Stéphane Laurière
XWiki www.xwiki.com

Re: [UX][Polishing] Modals Overview

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 9:42 AM Stéphane Laurière <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Caty, hi all,
>
> Ecaterina Moraru (Valica):
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > I've made an overview of our usage of modals and popovers. You can findit
> > at:
> >
> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Polishing10x/PolishingModals/
> >
> > Ideally we should use as few methods as possible of displaying
> > modals/popovers/tooltips, in order to assure a consistent user
> experience.
> > Also there are some components that could be deprecated / refreshed.
>
> That's a very useful overview! I'd be possibly interested in implementing
> popovers for the PageRelations extension to display page previews on
> rollover. Do you have any recommendation regarding the library that we may
> use for this?

For Popovers, the newest think you can use inside XWiki for this would be
the Bootstrap Popovers, see
https://getbootstrap.com/docs/3.3/javascript/#popovers
But you need to test it a bit and see if you have support for everything
you need, like displaying images (here you could try
https://getbootstrap.com/docs/3.3/components/#thumbnails or
https://getbootstrap.com/docs/3.3/components/#media classes).

> The feature could possibly be used for showing page previews in a similar
> way as Mediawiki:
>
>    https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Page_Previews
>
> PageRelations extension:
> https://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Page%20Relations%20Application/
>
> I noticed an existing extension proposing previews for office documents,
> but I could not find one for showing wiki page previews:
>

> https://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Add%20Preview%20Links
>
> Has the feature already been considered? What do you think?

We currently don't have other functionality in XWiki with this purpose, but
it would be nice to see it implemented.