[UX][Proposal] Distribution Wizard: Never Button

[UX][Proposal] Distribution Wizard: Never Button

This is an improvements proposal for the "Never" button from Distribution
Wizard.
https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Upgrade/DWNeverButton/

I've listed several variants of fixing the usability issue, let me know
which one is your favorite.

My +1 goes to VAR2: Confirmation; with minimum we can do being VAR1:
Location.

Re: [UX][Proposal] Distribution Wizard: Never Button

Marius Dumitru Florea
Both VAR1 and VAR2 look good to me.

On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 5:49 PM Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>

> This is an improvements proposal for the "Never" button from Distribution
> Wizard.
> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Upgrade/DWNeverButton/
>
> I've listed several variants of fixing the usability issue, let me know
> which one is your favorite.
>
> My +1 goes to VAR2: Confirmation; with minimum we can do being VAR1:
> Location.
>
> Thanks,
> Caty

Re: [UX][Proposal] Distribution Wizard: Never Button

Hi Caty,

Thanks for this.

Actually the screenshot you have at https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/Upgrade/DWNeverButton/WebHome/dw-welcomeStep.png is not the only issue for me.

The problem I had was on the flavor screen because you need to click “install” at the top and not click “never” which is at the bottom right, see https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Documentation/UserGuide/Features/DistributionWizard/dw-flavor-step1.png

To be more precise I was expecting to select the flavor and click “Install” at the bottom right.

Does your proposal address this issue? Would be great to see the Flavor screen with your new proposal.

VAR1 and 2 look nice. VAR2 seems a bit more explicit.

> On 17 Oct 2018, at 16:49, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi devs,
>
> This is an improvements proposal for the "Never" button from Distribution
> Wizard.
> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Upgrade/DWNeverButton/
>
> I've listed several variants of fixing the usability issue, let me know
> which one is your favorite.
>
> My +1 goes to VAR2: Confirmation; with minimum we can do being VAR1:
> Location.
>
> Thanks,
> Caty

Re: [UX][Proposal] Distribution Wizard: Never Button

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
Hi Vincent,

This proposal doesn't apply to the "Install" button, since there are steps
where there is not just a single button.
Each Wiki or Flavor could have their own "Install", so that's why the
position is related to each type of entity, see an example of multiple
"Upgrade" buttons
https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Documentation/UserGuide/Features/DistributionWizard/dw-wikisStep.png
or in the case of extensions, see
https://network.xwiki.com/xwiki/bin/download/DocXE981En/XEAttachments/InvalidExtensions.png

On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 6:16 PM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Caty,
>
> Thanks for this.
>
> Actually the screenshot you have at
> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/Upgrade/DWNeverButton/WebHome/dw-welcomeStep.png
> is not the only issue for me.
>
> The problem I had was on the flavor screen because you need to click
> “install” at the top and not click “never” which is at the bottom right,
> see
> https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Documentation/UserGuide/Features/DistributionWizard/dw-flavor-step1.png
>
> To be more precise I was expecting to select the flavor and click
> “Install” at the bottom right.
>
> Does your proposal address this issue? Would be great to see the Flavor
> screen with your new proposal.
>
> VAR1 and 2 look nice. VAR2 seems a bit more explicit.

> > On 17 Oct 2018, at 16:49, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > This is an improvements proposal for the "Never" button from Distribution
> > Wizard.
> > https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Upgrade/DWNeverButton/
> >
> > I've listed several variants of fixing the usability issue, let me know
> > which one is your favorite.
> >
> > My +1 goes to VAR2: Confirmation; with minimum we can do being VAR1:
> > Location.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Caty

Re: [UX][Proposal] Distribution Wizard: Never Button

> On 17 Oct 2018, at 17:46, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Vincent,
>
> This proposal doesn't apply to the "Install" button, since there are steps
> where there is not just a single button.
> Each Wiki or Flavor could have their own "Install", so that's why the
> position is related to each type of entity, see an example of multiple
> "Upgrade" buttons
> https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Documentation/UserGuide/Features/DistributionWizard/dw-wikisStep.png
> or in the case of extensions, see
> https://network.xwiki.com/xwiki/bin/download/DocXE981En/XEAttachments/InvalidExtensions.png

ok. We could have not button at all on the bottom right for the flavor screen for ex.

It’s not clear how VAR1 & 2 would looklike for the flavor screen. No button in the bottom right corner, right? (which is fine with me).

On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 6:58 PM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 17 Oct 2018, at 17:46, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Vincent,
> >
> > This proposal doesn't apply to the "Install" button, since there are
> steps
> > where there is not just a single button.
> > Each Wiki or Flavor could have their own "Install", so that's why the
> > position is related to each type of entity, see an example of multiple
> > "Upgrade" buttons
> >
> https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Documentation/UserGuide/Features/DistributionWizard/dw-wikisStep.png
> > or in the case of extensions, see
> >
> https://network.xwiki.com/xwiki/bin/download/DocXE981En/XEAttachments/InvalidExtensions.png
>
> ok. We could have not button at all on the bottom right for the flavor
> screen for ex.
>
> It’s not clear how VAR1 & 2 would looklike for the flavor screen. No
> button in the bottom right corner, right? (which is fine with me).

Well the VAR1 and VAR2 only refer to the Later/Never/Skip actions.

In theory the "Continue" would still stay there. I don't know how mandatory
is the presence of the "Continue" button in this wikis case. I guess you
could continue the wizard, without doing the upgrades now and continue in
each wiki separately. So the "Continue" is still a valid action. The issue
is that it has the same visual importance as "Upgrade" and it provide an
easy get away for the user, so the user might click it and not complete the
needed steps.

Another problem is that we don't have an "Upgrade all" button (
https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-15633) so in case we would have more
wikis / extensions, we would need to press on each of them. A solution
would be to have the "Upgrade all" near the "Continue".

If you check the flavor screen at https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Documentation/UserGuide/Features/DistributionWizard/dw-flavor-step1.png you’ll see it has "later" and “never” so I think it applies to this screen too, no?

On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 7:13 PM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 17 Oct 2018, at 18:10, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

> >> steps
> >>>

> https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Documentation/UserGuide/Features/DistributionWizard/dw-wikisStep.png
> >>>

> https://network.xwiki.com/xwiki/bin/download/DocXE981En/XEAttachments/InvalidExtensions.png
> >>
> >> ok. We could have not button at all on the bottom right for the flavor
> >> screen for ex.
> >>
> >> It’s not clear how VAR1 & 2 would looklike for the flavor screen. No
> >> button in the bottom right corner, right? (which is fine with me).
> >>

> > Well the VAR1 and VAR2 only refer to the Later/Never/Skip actions.
>
> If you check the flavor screen at
> https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Documentation/UserGuide/Features/DistributionWizard/dw-flavor-step1.png
> you’ll see it has "later" and “never” so I think it applies to this screen
> too, no?

In this particular screen, the "later"/ "never" would be replaced by a
"Skip" button, placed in the left side (the opposite from their current
location).