[UX][Proposal] Homepage Tour

Alex Cotiugă
Hello,

This proposal is about implementing a tour guide for the Homepage of the
main wiki.

This is the prototype:
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageTour/Prototype/

Feedback is welcomed.

Thanks,
Alex and Caty

Re: [UX][Proposal] Homepage Tour

Marius Dumitru Florea
I like it. +1

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 5:51 PM, Alexandru Cotiuga <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This proposal is about implementing a tour guide for the Homepage of the
> main wiki.
>
> This is the prototype:
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageTour/Prototype/
>
> Feedback is welcomed.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex and Caty

Re: [UX][Proposal] Homepage Tour

> On 02 Jun 2016, at 16:51, Alexandru Cotiuga <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> This proposal is about implementing a tour guide for the Homepage of the
> main wiki.
>
> This is the prototype:
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageTour/Prototype/

Nice start! :)

 After the step 2, i.e. breadcrumb, I’d add a step to show how to navigate using the arrow in each breadcrumb element.

> Feedback is welcomed.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex and Caty

Re: [UX][Proposal] Homepage Tour

> On 02 Jun 2016, at 17:00, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> On 02 Jun 2016, at 16:51, Alexandru Cotiuga <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> This proposal is about implementing a tour guide for the Homepage of the
>> main wiki.
>>
>> This is the prototype:
>> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageTour/Prototype/
>
> Nice start! :)
>
> After the step 2, i.e. breadcrumb, I’d add a step to show how to navigate using the arrow in each breadcrumb element.

I would also make the Page Menu step more detailed, explaining each icon (pencil, etc).

>> Feedback is welcomed.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Alex and Caty

Re: [UX][Proposal] Homepage Tour

> On 02 Jun 2016, at 17:06, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 02 Jun 2016, at 17:00, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> On 02 Jun 2016, at 16:51, Alexandru Cotiuga <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> This proposal is about implementing a tour guide for the Homepage of the
>>> main wiki.
>>>
>>> This is the prototype:
>>> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageTour/Prototype/
>>
>> Nice start! :)
>>
>> After the step 2, i.e. breadcrumb, I’d add a step to show how to navigate using the arrow in each breadcrumb element.
>
> I would also make the Page Menu step more detailed, explaining each icon (pencil, etc).

Also on the last step, I’d point to the Getting Started guide instead.

+ explain how to run the tour again if need be.

>>> Feedback is welcomed.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Alex and Caty

Re: [UX][Proposal] Homepage Tour

Caleb James DeLisle-3
Excellent !  This is what people really need.

Some suggestions which you might adopt if you like them (but don't let me get in the way of you doing great stuff).

1.
"In the next couple of minutes you will discover your wiki's interface and basic functionalities."
Should point to an icon somewhere (in the applications section?) which will start the tour and then
it says "Take a the XWiki Tour. Or you can close this window and then click here to take the tour later."

2.
"The breadcrumbs allow you to identify where your page is located and navigate *up* the hierarchy."
UP the hirearchy

3.
-"The current panels allow you to access your wiki's applications and pages."
+"Access the applications in your wiki, administrators can install more and customize which ones appear"

4.
-"edit, create, administer or delete pages"
+"edit, create, delete or change permissions on pages"

5.
"The <hamburgermenu> button, opens a Drawer which contains wiki related actions, like Administration and Indexes."
Please please please tell users this is where they need to go to login, actually we might need to make login more obvious

I think we're ready for this to be in production ASAP so lets say with or without these cosmetic changes
this is a huge benefit and very important.

Big +1

Caleb

On 02/06/16 16:51, Alexandru Cotiuga wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This proposal is about implementing a tour guide for the Homepage of the
> main wiki.
>
> This is the prototype:
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageTour/Prototype/
>
> Feedback is welcomed.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex and Caty

Re: [UX][Proposal] Homepage Tour

We should keep the tour relatively short, in order for the users to not be
bored and keep their focus.
Users will also discovers things on their own. Also we provided a link to
more documentation.

In the future we could add multiple tours to guide use cases: like User
Management, Theme Customizations or even applications tours.
The first tour mostly showcases the interface and basic operations.

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 6:06 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 02 Jun 2016, at 17:00, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> >> On 02 Jun 2016, at 16:51, Alexandru Cotiuga <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> This proposal is about implementing a tour guide for the Homepage of the
> >> main wiki.
> >>
> >> This is the prototype:
> >> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageTour/Prototype/
> >
> > Nice start! :)
> >
> > After the step 2, i.e. breadcrumb, I’d add a step to show how to
> navigate using the arrow in each breadcrumb element.
>
> I would also make the Page Menu step more detailed, explaining each icon
> (pencil, etc).

> >> Feedback is welcomed.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Alex and Caty

Re: [UX][Proposal] Homepage Tour

Eduard Moraru

Same remarks as Vincent, as I feel we should at least expand the More
Actions and the Drawer... and probably show each Docextra tabs. Maybe not
go through each button/element/component in the UI, but at least
expand/show/make them visible.

+1 for the overall proposal and current progress.

Thanks,
Eduard

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 6:11 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 02 Jun 2016, at 17:06, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> >> On 02 Jun 2016, at 17:00, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,

> the

> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageTour/Prototype/
> >>
> >> Nice start! :)
> >>
> >> After the step 2, i.e. breadcrumb, I’d add a step to show how to
> navigate using the arrow in each breadcrumb element.
> >
> > I would also make the Page Menu step more detailed, explaining each icon
> (pencil, etc).
>
> Also on the last step, I’d point to the Getting Started guide instead.

The "Getting Started" page is already presented in the content of the
Homepage + in the Tips panel.

The Feature pages is focused on functionality and guides the user to know
where to look for more info.

> + explain how to run the tour again if need be.

> >> Thanks
> >> -Vincent

Re: [UX][Proposal] Homepage Tour

> On 02 Jun 2016, at 17:11, Caleb James DeLisle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Excellent !  This is what people really need.
>
> Some suggestions which you might adopt if you like them (but don't let me get in the way of you doing great stuff).
>
> 1.
> "In the next couple of minutes you will discover your wiki's interface and basic functionalities."
> Should point to an icon somewhere (in the applications section?) which will start the tour and then
> it says "Take a the XWiki Tour. Or you can close this window and then click here to take the tour later."
>
> 2.
> "The breadcrumbs allow you to identify where your page is located and navigate *up* the hierarchy."
> UP the hirearchy

Actually the breadcrumb allows both up and down. That was my point in earlier feeback, it’s missing showing how to navigate down.

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 6:11 PM, Caleb James DeLisle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Excellent !  This is what people really need.
>
> Some suggestions which you might adopt if you like them (but don't let me
> get in the way of you doing great stuff).
>
> 1.
> "In the next couple of minutes you will discover your wiki's interface and
> basic functionalities."
> Should point to an icon somewhere (in the applications section?) which
> will start the tour and then
> it says "Take a the XWiki Tour. Or you can close this window and then
> click here to take the tour later."

There is a Tooltip at the bottom of the page from where you can launch the
Tour anytime you want. Also the Tour's homepage can launch tours.

> 2.
> "The breadcrumbs allow you to identify where your page is located and
> navigate *up* the hierarchy."
> UP the hirearchy

You can also go 'DOWN' if you are in a nested node. Not sure why we should
explicitly say up. Especially since we are in the Home page, which in
theory is the first node.

> 3.
> -"The current panels allow you to access your wiki's applications and
> pages."
> +"Access the applications in your wiki, administrators can install more
> and customize which ones appear"
>
> 4.
> -"edit, create, administer or delete pages"
> +"edit, create, delete or change permissions on pages"

We've used the order of appearance in the content menu. But I've heard this
comment at least 3 times. Maybe we could change the order.

> 5.
> "The <hamburgermenu> button, opens a Drawer which contains wiki related
> actions, like Administration and Indexes."
> Please please please tell users this is where they need to go to login,
> actually we might need to make login more obvious

If they installed with EM they are already logged-in. Lots of other
applications provide the log-in function inside the Drawer, but the
findability indeed could be problematic for some users.

> I think we're ready for this to be in production ASAP so lets say with or
> without these cosmetic changes
> this is a huge benefit and very important.
>
> Big +1
>
> Caleb
>

> On 02/06/16 16:51, Alexandru Cotiuga wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> This proposal is about implementing a tour guide for the Homepage of the
>> main wiki.
>>
>> This is the prototype:
>> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageTour/Prototype/
>>
>> Feedback is welcomed.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Alex and Caty

Re: [UX][Proposal] Homepage Tour

> On 02 Jun 2016, at 17:16, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 6:11 PM, Caleb James DeLisle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Excellent !  This is what people really need.
>>
>> Some suggestions which you might adopt if you like them (but don't let me
>> get in the way of you doing great stuff).
>>
>> 1.
>> "In the next couple of minutes you will discover your wiki's interface and
>> basic functionalities."
>> Should point to an icon somewhere (in the applications section?) which
>> will start the tour and then
>> it says "Take a the XWiki Tour. Or you can close this window and then
>> click here to take the tour later."
>>

> There is a Tooltip at the bottom of the page from where you can launch the
> Tour anytime you want. Also the Tour's homepage can launch tours.
>

>> 2.
>> "The breadcrumbs allow you to identify where your page is located and
>> navigate *up* the hierarchy."
>> UP the hirearchy
>>

> You can also go 'DOWN' if you are in a nested node.

You mean “reference” mode (which is the default).

> Not sure why we should
> explicitly say up. Especially since we are in the Home page, which in
> theory is the first node.

We do need to explain that he can click the arrow and get a sibling + children view. I’d put a screenshot example in the step of doing that.

> 3.
>> -"The current panels allow you to access your wiki's applications and
>> pages."
>> +"Access the applications in your wiki, administrators can install more
>> and customize which ones appear"
>>
>> 4.
>> -"edit, create, administer or delete pages"
>> +"edit, create, delete or change permissions on pages"
>>

> We've used the order of appearance in the content menu. But I've heard this
> comment at least 3 times. Maybe we could change the order.
>

>> 5.
>> "The <hamburgermenu> button, opens a Drawer which contains wiki related
>> actions, like Administration and Indexes."
>> Please please please tell users this is where they need to go to login,
>> actually we might need to make login more obvious
>>

> If they installed with EM they are already logged-in. Lots of other
> applications provide the log-in function inside the Drawer, but the
> findability indeed could be problematic for some users.
>
> Thanks,
> Caty
>

>> I think we're ready for this to be in production ASAP so lets say with or
>> without these cosmetic changes
>> this is a huge benefit and very important.
>>
>> Big +1
>>
>> Caleb
>>

>> On 02/06/16 16:51, Alexandru Cotiuga wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> This proposal is about implementing a tour guide for the Homepage of the
>>> main wiki.
>>>
>>> This is the prototype:
>>> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageTour/Prototype/
>>>
>>> Feedback is welcomed.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Alex and Caty

Re: [UX][Proposal] Homepage Tour

Guillaume Delhumeau
I like it too. Can't wait to see it on xwiki :)

> [...]
> this
> > comment at least 3 times. Maybe we could change the order.
> >

> >> 5.
> >> "The <hamburgermenu> button, opens a Drawer which contains wiki related
> >> actions, like Administration and Indexes."
> >> Please please please tell users this is where they need to go to login,
> >> actually we might need to make login more obvious
> >>

> > If they installed with EM they are already logged-in. Lots of other
> > applications provide the log-in function inside the Drawer, but the
> > findability indeed could be problematic for some users.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Caty
> >

> >> I think we're ready for this to be in production ASAP so lets say with
> or
> >> without these cosmetic changes
> >> this is a huge benefit and very important.

Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [UX][Proposal] Homepage Tour

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
Votes so far:
+1 (Marius), +1 (Edy), +1 (GD), +1 (Caty), +1 (Caleb)

Vincent and Caleb had some remarks that I hope I gave an answer why I would
not change them in this version.

On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 10:26 AM, Guillaume Delhumeau <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I like it too. Can't wait to see it on xwiki :)

> > > On 02 Jun 2016, at 17:16, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]
> >
> > wrote:

> > me

> > and
> > >>

> > > There is a Tooltip at the bottom of the page from where you can launch
> > the
> > > Tour anytime you want. Also the Tour's homepage can launch tours.

> > > You can also go 'DOWN' if you are in a nested node.
> >
> > You mean “reference” mode (which is the default).
> >
> > > Not sure why we should
> > > explicitly say up. Especially since we are in the Home page, which in
> > > theory is the first node.
> >
> > We do need to explain that he can click the arrow and get a sibling +
> > children view. I’d put a screenshot example in the step of doing that.

> > > 3.
> more

> > > We've used the order of appearance in the content menu. But I've heard
> > this
> > > comment at least 3 times. Maybe we could change the order.

> related
> login,
> > >>

> > > If they installed with EM they are already logged-in. Lots of other
> > > applications provide the log-in function inside the Drawer, but the
> > > findability indeed could be problematic for some users.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Caty

> > or

> > the

> > http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageTour/Prototype/

> Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
> Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
> Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [UX][Proposal] Homepage Tour

> On 08 Jun 2016, at 13:34, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Votes so far:
> +1 (Marius), +1 (Edy), +1 (GD), +1 (Caty), +1 (Caleb)

I definitely agree to have the tour in XWiki 8.2. Note that I’ve already said so and this is not a vote mail: this is a proposal. You keep asking for votes but you send proposals; IMO you should send [VOTE] emails if you want votes, otherwise it’s just about giving opinions/remarks/etc, saying you like it or not, etc.

> Vincent and Caleb had some remarks that I hope I gave an answer why I would
> not change them in this version.

Yes and I don’t agree with all of your explanations. I certainly don’t agree that we shouldn’t show/explain that there’s a tree in the breadcrumb.

> Caty
>
> On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 10:26 AM, Guillaume Delhumeau <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I like it too. Can't wait to see it on xwiki :)

>>> me

>>> and

>>> the

>>> You mean “reference” mode (which is the default).

>>> We do need to explain that he can click the arrow and get a sibling +
>>> children view. I’d put a screenshot example in the step of doing that.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> -Vincent

>> more

>>> this

>> related
>> login,

>>> or

>>> the

>>> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageTour/Prototype/

Re: [UX][Proposal] Homepage Tour

> On 08 Jun 2016, at 14:34, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 08 Jun 2016, at 13:34, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Votes so far:
>> +1 (Marius), +1 (Edy), +1 (GD), +1 (Caty), +1 (Caleb)
>
> I definitely agree to have the tour in XWiki 8.2. Note that I’ve already said so and this is not a vote mail: this is a proposal. You keep asking for votes but you send proposals; IMO you should send [VOTE] emails if you want votes, otherwise it’s just about giving opinions/remarks/etc, saying you like it or not, etc.
>
>> Vincent and Caleb had some remarks that I hope I gave an answer why I would
>> not change them in this version.
>
> Yes and I don’t agree with all of your explanations. I certainly don’t agree that we shouldn’t show/explain that there’s a tree in the breadcrumb.

And thus, that it’s a key feature to navigate (up and down).

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 3:36 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 08 Jun 2016, at 14:34, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> >> On 08 Jun 2016, at 13:34, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Votes so far:
> >> +1 (Marius), +1 (Edy), +1 (GD), +1 (Caty), +1 (Caleb)
> >
> > I definitely agree to have the tour in XWiki 8.2.

This agreement was not explicit.

> Note that I’ve already said so and this is not a vote mail: this is a
> proposal. You keep asking for votes but you send proposals; IMO you should
> send [VOTE] emails if you want votes, otherwise it’s just about giving
> opinions/remarks/etc, saying you like it or not, etc.
>

> >> Vincent and Caleb had some remarks that I hope I gave an answer why I
> would
> >> not change them in this version.
> >
> > Yes and I don’t agree with all of your explanations. I certainly don’t
> agree that we shouldn’t show/explain that there’s a tree in the breadcrumb.
>
> And thus, that it’s a key feature to navigate (up and down).

It would be helpful if you could provide the proposal text for the
Breadcrumb step.

> >> Thanks,
> >> Caty

> [hidden email]

> let

> interface
> which
> then

> launch

> and

> and

> heard

> with

> of

> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageTour/Prototype/

Re: [UX][Proposal] Homepage Tour

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
Votes so far:
6 = +1 (Marius), +1 (Edy), +1 (GD), +1 (Caty), +1 (Caleb), +1 (Vincent)

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 3:44 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]