[UX][Proposal] Simplifying the Homepage (content + left panels)

12

[UX][Proposal] Simplifying the Homepage (content + left panels)

This is a follow up on the initial brainstorming done, see
http://markmail.org/message/hbuhhkxcjodtfxwi

This proposal aims to replace the current Dashboard with a more simple wiki
content page:
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageSketches/HomepageLayoutVote/

I would like you to vote on the 2 versions of left panels:
1. AppBar + Pages
2. AppBar

Also provide feedback on the content. I've added the content on this page:
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageSketches/HomepagePrototype/
in order for you to see how it behaves with the editors. [1]

The objective was to have an easy to edit content, very close to what we
have in view mode.

Let me know what you think.

[1] Since we don't have CKEditor installed on design wiki, see how it would
looks like
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/HomepageSketches/WebHome/ckeditor.png

Re: [UX][Proposal] Simplifying the Homepage (content + left panels)

Guillaume Lerouge
Hi Caty,

thanks for your proposal. Looking good overall!

My preference goes to Layout3 (a new one):

   - Left panel set to "Large"
      - Navigation panel
      - Tips panel
   - Right panel set to "Small"
      - Applications panel

And I would drop "My recent modifications".

Thanks,

Guillaume

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 5:49 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]

> This is a follow up on the initial brainstorming done, see
> http://markmail.org/message/hbuhhkxcjodtfxwi
>
> This proposal aims to replace the current Dashboard with a more simple wiki
> content page:
>
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageSketches/HomepageLayoutVote/
>
> I would like you to vote on the 2 versions of left panels:
> 1. AppBar + Pages
> 2. AppBar
>
> Also provide feedback on the content. I've added the content on this page:
>
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageSketches/HomepagePrototype/
> in order for you to see how it behaves with the editors. [1]
>
> The objective was to have an easy to edit content, very close to what we
> have in view mode.
>
> Let me know what you think.
> Thanks,
> Caty
>

> [1] Since we don't have CKEditor installed on design wiki, see how it would
> looks like
>
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/HomepageSketches/WebHome/ckeditor.png

Re: [UX][Proposal] Simplifying the Homepage (content + left panels)

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 6:54 PM, Guillaume Lerouge <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Caty,
>
> thanks for your proposal. Looking good overall!
>
> My preference goes to Layout3 (a new one):
>
>    - Left panel set to "Large"
>       - Navigation panel
>       - Tips panel
>    - Right panel set to "Small"
>       - Applications panel

The right panel would need to accommodate also a Support panel. The
screenshots is lacking this since I don't have a voting proposal yet, but
this is an example:
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/HomepageSketches/WebHome/layout2.png

The problem with the navigation panel is that because of its scalability it
cannot be placed as first item, since it will overpower and push down any
other panel (in your case Tips + Support).

The pattern for AppBar is to be placed on the left. I haven't seen anywhere
it being placed on the right. If we brake this 'standard'/'consistency'
users will be affected.

> And I would drop "My recent modifications".

Since now we want to have a wiki-content page I think is important to
preserve the wiki-features like "Recent modifications".

Anyway, thanks for your input. Waiting for more opinions.

> Guillaume
>
> On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 5:49 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
> [hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > This is a follow up on the initial brainstorming done, see
> > http://markmail.org/message/hbuhhkxcjodtfxwi
> >
> > This proposal aims to replace the current Dashboard with a more simple
> wiki
> > content page:
> >

> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageSketches/HomepageLayoutVote/
> >
> > I would like you to vote on the 2 versions of left panels:
> > 1. AppBar + Pages
> > 2. AppBar
> >
> > Also provide feedback on the content. I've added the content on this
> page:
> >

> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageSketches/HomepagePrototype/
> > in order for you to see how it behaves with the editors. [1]
> >
> > The objective was to have an easy to edit content, very close to what we
> > have in view mode.
> >
> > Let me know what you think.
> > Thanks,
> > Caty
> >

> > [1] Since we don't have CKEditor installed on design wiki, see how it
> would
> > looks like
> >

> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/HomepageSketches/WebHome/ckeditor.png

Re: [UX][Proposal] Simplifying the Homepage (content + left panels)

Guillaume Lerouge
Hi Caty,

thanks for your feedback.

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 6:02 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 6:54 PM, Guillaume Lerouge <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Caty,
> >
> > thanks for your proposal. Looking good overall!
> >
> > My preference goes to Layout3 (a new one):
> >
> >    - Left panel set to "Large"
> >       - Navigation panel
> >       - Tips panel
> >    - Right panel set to "Small"
> >       - Applications panel
>
> The right panel would need to accommodate also a Support panel. The
> screenshots is lacking this since I don't have a voting proposal yet, but
> this is an example:
>
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/HomepageSketches/WebHome/layout2.png
>
> The problem with the navigation panel is that because of its scalability it
> cannot be placed as first item, since it will overpower and push down any
> other panel (in your case Tips + Support).
>

> The pattern for AppBar is to be placed on the left. I haven't seen anywhere
> it being placed on the right. If we brake this 'standard'/'consistency'
> users will be affected.

I agree with this. However, what I've seen on several XWiki implementation
is the following:

   - Main wiki with wide left panel and navigation menu there which is a
   very, very common pattern. Some examples:
   - WikiTerritorial
      <http://www.wikiterritorial.cnfpt.fr/xwiki/wiki/econnaissances/view/Notions-Cles/Panoramadelactualitedescollectivitesterritoriales-edition2016>
      - Centre de ressources USH
      <http://ressourceshlm.union-habitat.org/ush/Dossiers/Dossier+Abattement+de+la+TFPB+dans+les+quartiers+prioritaires+de+la+politique+de+la+ville>
      - FOPH <http://www.foph.fr/oph/Ressources/>
      - It's also the standard menu on Google Sites for instance

   - Appbar on the left for workspace subwikis (where it makes a lot of
   sense indeed)

> And I would drop "My recent modifications".
>
> Since now we want to have a wiki-content page I think is important to
> preserve the wiki-features like "Recent modifications".

What I know is that I never use this :-) Let's see what others say.

Guillaume

Anyway, thanks for your input. Waiting for more opinions.

> Caty
>

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Guillaume
> >
> > On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 5:49 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
> > [hidden email]
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > This is a follow up on the initial brainstorming done, see
> > > http://markmail.org/message/hbuhhkxcjodtfxwi
> > >
> > > This proposal aims to replace the current Dashboard with a more simple
> > wiki
> > > content page:
> > >

> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageSketches/HomepageLayoutVote/
> > >
> > > I would like you to vote on the 2 versions of left panels:
> > > 1. AppBar + Pages
> > > 2. AppBar
> > >
> > > Also provide feedback on the content. I've added the content on this
> > page:
> > >

> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageSketches/HomepagePrototype/
> > > in order for you to see how it behaves with the editors. [1]
> > >
> > > The objective was to have an easy to edit content, very close to what
> we
> > > have in view mode.
> > >
> > > Let me know what you think.
> > > Thanks,
> > > Caty
> > >

> > > [1] Since we don't have CKEditor installed on design wiki, see how it
> > would
> > > looks like
> > >

> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/HomepageSketches/WebHome/ckeditor.png

Re: [UX][Proposal] Simplifying the Homepage (content + left panels)

Ludovic Dubost
I préfère layout 1.. all the navigation on the left

In the right i find the récent changes useful for editors.

Ludovic
Le 2 juin 2016 10:31, "Guillaume Lerouge" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> [...]
>
> Guillaume
>
> Anyway, thanks for your input. Waiting for more opinions.
> >
> > Caty
> >

> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Guillaume
> > >
> > > On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 5:49 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
> > > [hidden email]

> simple
> > > wiki
> > > >

> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageSketches/HomepageLayoutVote/

> > > page:
> > > >

> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageSketches/HomepagePrototype/

> > we

> > > would
> > > >

> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/HomepageSketches/WebHome/ckeditor.png

Re: [UX][Proposal] Simplifying the Homepage (content + left panels)

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 11:31 AM, Guillaume Lerouge <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Caty,
>
> thanks for your feedback.
>
> On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 6:02 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
> [hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 6:54 PM, Guillaume Lerouge <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Caty,
> > >
> > > thanks for your proposal. Looking good overall!
> > >
> > > My preference goes to Layout3 (a new one):
> > >
> > >    - Left panel set to "Large"
> > >       - Navigation panel
> > >       - Tips panel
> > >    - Right panel set to "Small"
> > >       - Applications panel
> >
> > The right panel would need to accommodate also a Support panel. The
> > screenshots is lacking this since I don't have a voting proposal yet, but
> > this is an example:
> >

> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/HomepageSketches/WebHome/layout2.png
> >
> > The problem with the navigation panel is that because of its scalability
> it
> > cannot be placed as first item, since it will overpower and push down any
> > other panel (in your case Tips + Support).
> >

> > The pattern for AppBar is to be placed on the left. I haven't seen
> anywhere
> > it being placed on the right. If we brake this 'standard'/'consistency'
> > users will be affected.
> >

> I agree with this. However, what I've seen on several XWiki implementation
> is the following:
>
>    - Main wiki with wide left panel and navigation menu there which is a
>    very, very common pattern. Some examples:
>    - WikiTerritorial
>       <
> http://www.wikiterritorial.cnfpt.fr/xwiki/wiki/econnaissances/view/Notions-Cles/Panoramadelactualitedescollectivitesterritoriales-edition2016
> >
>       - Centre de ressources USH
>       <
> http://ressourceshlm.union-habitat.org/ush/Dossiers/Dossier+Abattement+de+la+TFPB+dans+les+quartiers+prioritaires+de+la+politique+de+la+ville
> >
>       - FOPH <http://www.foph.fr/oph/Ressources/>
>       - It's also the standard menu on Google Sites for instance
>
>  Hi Guillaume,

Thanks very much for your examples. It depends very much on the wiki's
flavor, if it's focused on content/hierarchy or on applications.
On an empty wiki is a bit hard to have relevant content that can make sense
for newcomers.

Layout 1 showcases that you can have a bit of both: apps + hierarchy.
Unfortunately the admin would need to change this to suit his future needs
+ the AppBar is not displayed with the standard styling.

Layout 2 has the nice styling of AppBar, showcases the apps, has the
breadcrumb as navigation (with some discoverability issues, but with an
additional homepage text + tour). But the emphasis is lesser on content.

>    - Appbar on the left for workspace subwikis (where it makes a lot of
>    sense indeed)
>
> > And I would drop "My recent modifications".
> >
> > Since now we want to have a wiki-content page I think is important to
> > preserve the wiki-features like "Recent modifications".
> >

> What I know is that I never use this :-) Let's see what others say.

Yes. Thanks,
Caty

> Guillaume
>
> Anyway, thanks for your input. Waiting for more opinions.
> >
> > Caty
> >

> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Guillaume
> > >
> > > On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 5:49 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
> > > [hidden email]

> simple
> > > wiki
> > > >

> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageSketches/HomepageLayoutVote/

> > > page:
> > > >

> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageSketches/HomepagePrototype/

> > we

> > > would
> > > >

> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/HomepageSketches/WebHome/ckeditor.png

Re: [UX][Proposal] Simplifying the Homepage (content + left panels)

Guillaume Delhumeau
+1 for layout 2 because I think it looks better.

> [...]
> Unfortunately the admin would need to change this to suit his future needs
> + the AppBar is not displayed with the standard styling.
>
> Layout 2 has the nice styling of AppBar, showcases the apps, has the
> breadcrumb as navigation (with some discoverability issues, but with an
> additional homepage text + tour). But the emphasis is lesser on content.
>

> >    - Appbar on the left for workspace subwikis (where it makes a lot of
> >    sense indeed)
> >
> > > And I would drop "My recent modifications".
> > >
> > > Since now we want to have a wiki-content page I think is important to
> > > preserve the wiki-features like "Recent modifications".
> > >

> > What I know is that I never use this :-) Let's see what others say.
> >

> Yes. Thanks,
> Caty
>

> > Guillaume
> >
> > Anyway, thanks for your input. Waiting for more opinions.

Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [UX][Proposal] Simplifying the Homepage (content + left panels)

Hi Caty,

> On 01 Jun 2016, at 17:49, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> This is a follow up on the initial brainstorming done, see
> http://markmail.org/message/hbuhhkxcjodtfxwi
>
> This proposal aims to replace the current Dashboard with a more simple wiki
> content page:
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageSketches/HomepageLayoutVote/
>
> I would like you to vote on the 2 versions of left panels:
> 1. AppBar + Pages
> 2. AppBar
>
> Also provide feedback on the content. I've added the content on this page:
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageSketches/HomepagePrototype/
> in order for you to see how it behaves with the editors. [1]

Regarding the content:

* FTR I had given some thoughts before in http://markmail.org/message/nqzkxfefty32qmjw Summary: I’m not fully convinced but I’m willing to give it a try
* I think we need to handle the fact that XWiki should work without internet connection and the connection to youtube will only works when you have internet connection. Unless we think it’s ok and admins will edit this page to remove the video if they don’t have internet connection?
* I was wondering if it was ok to use complex wiki syntax on this page (we use that for the table at the bottom), but maybe it’s ok and would serve as an example. Although I think users should probably use the {{container}} Macro instead (http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Container+Macro). The disadvantage is that when you edit in WYSIWYG you cannot change content without editing the macro ;) So taking everything into account maybe what is there is the least bad solution, especially if we favor WYSIWYG users by default.
* I see the content explains a lot how the wiki works but I thought that was the job of the tour and from what I’ve seen at http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageTour it looks very similar. Aren’t we not providing duplication and does it matter?
* Note that the home page will need to be re-translated in all languages (and we’ll need to add it on l10n) ;)
* One nice pro is that the home page will load much faster (since the AS is not on it) ;)

All in all, +1 to try it and see what feedback we get.

> The objective was to have an easy to edit content, very close to what we
> have in view mode.
>
> Let me know what you think.
> Thanks,
> Caty
>

> [1] Since we don't have CKEditor installed on design wiki, see how it would
> looks like
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/HomepageSketches/WebHome/ckeditor.png

Re: [UX][Proposal] Simplifying the Homepage (content + left panels)

Caleb James DeLisle-3
Vote layout 1, we absolutely need a tree, this is killing us.
One of the things which *made* MS Windows was the fact that you had a tree of folders
in the explorer. Same thing (tree) is shown in Thunderbird mail and in google docs.

Thanks,
Caleb

On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 5:22 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Caty,
>
> > On 01 Jun 2016, at 17:49, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > This is a follow up on the initial brainstorming done, see
> > http://markmail.org/message/hbuhhkxcjodtfxwi
> >
> > This proposal aims to replace the current Dashboard with a more simple
> wiki
> > content page:
> >
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageSketches/HomepageLayoutVote/
> >
> > I would like you to vote on the 2 versions of left panels:
> > 1. AppBar + Pages
> > 2. AppBar
> >
> > Also provide feedback on the content. I've added the content on this
> page:
> >
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageSketches/HomepagePrototype/
> > in order for you to see how it behaves with the editors. [1]
>
> Regarding the content:
>
> * FTR I had given some thoughts before in
> http://markmail.org/message/nqzkxfefty32qmjw Summary: I’m not fully
> convinced but I’m willing to give it a try
> * I think we need to handle the fact that XWiki should work without
> internet connection and the connection to youtube will only works when you
> have internet connection. Unless we think it’s ok and admins will edit this
> page to remove the video if they don’t have internet connection?
> * I was wondering if it was ok to use complex wiki syntax on this page (we
> use that for the table at the bottom), but maybe it’s ok and would serve as
> an example. Although I think users should probably use the {{container}}
> Macro instead (
> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Container+Macro).
> The disadvantage is that when you edit in WYSIWYG you cannot change content
> without editing the macro ;) So taking everything into account maybe what
> is there is the least bad solution, especially if we favor WYSIWYG users by
> default.

I've used the table, as you said in order to make it as simple as possible
for the user to edit the page content in a visual editor. The SSX is a bit
problematic, but currently I don't see an alternative.

The table and the video give the homepage a bit of layout and structure.
Removing them would simplify the page very much, but I prefer it to be
nicer.

> * I see the content explains a lot how the wiki works but I thought that
> was the job of the tour and from what I’ve seen at
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageTour it looks
> very similar. Aren’t we not providing duplication and does it matter?

Initially I had the same feeling. Still we remind again the main actions an
user can do: edit, add, navigate.

> * Note that the home page will need to be re-translated in all languages
> (and we’ll need to add it on l10n) ;)
> * One nice pro is that the home page will load much faster (since the AS
> is not on it) ;)
>
> All in all, +1 to try it and see what feedback we get.

You should also state the layout preference.

> > The objective was to have an easy to edit content, very close to what we
> > have in view mode.
> >
> > Let me know what you think.
> > Thanks,
> > Caty
> >

> > [1] Since we don't have CKEditor installed on design wiki, see how it
> would
> > looks like
> >
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/HomepageSketches/WebHome/ckeditor.png

Re: [UX][Proposal] Simplifying the Homepage (content + left panels)

> On 08 Jun 2016, at 10:16, Caleb James DeLisle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Vote layout 1, we absolutely need a tree, this is killing us.

Do you realize that we already have a tree? :) (hint: it’s in the breadcrumb).

The Tour should make users find it more easily.

The tree is good for a KB which is probably our main flavor but it’s taking space too which could be better used by other things (if you’re in workgroups flavor you're probably more interested by apps).

It’s a pity that the breadcrumb is not more visible somehow. My hope is that the tour will help on that but it may be not enough potentially.

> One of the things which *made* MS Windows was the fact that you had a tree of folders
> in the explorer. Same thing (tree) is shown in Thunderbird mail and in google docs.
>
> Thanks,
> Caleb
>

> On 01/06/16 17:49, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This is a follow up on the initial brainstorming done, see
>> http://markmail.org/message/hbuhhkxcjodtfxwi
>>
>> This proposal aims to replace the current Dashboard with a more simple wiki
>> content page:
>> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageSketches/HomepageLayoutVote/
>>
>> I would like you to vote on the 2 versions of left panels:
>> 1. AppBar + Pages
>> 2. AppBar
>>
>> Also provide feedback on the content. I've added the content on this page:
>> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageSketches/HomepagePrototype/
>> in order for you to see how it behaves with the editors. [1]
>>
>> The objective was to have an easy to edit content, very close to what we
>> have in view mode.
>>
>> Let me know what you think.
>> Thanks,
>> Caty
>>

>> [1] Since we don't have CKEditor installed on design wiki, see how it would
>> looks like
>> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/HomepageSketches/WebHome/ckeditor.png

Re: [UX][Proposal] Simplifying the Homepage (content + left panels)

Ludovic Dubost
Hi

Let me bring my 2c on this

Le 8 juin 2016 10:34, "Vincent Massol" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> > On 08 Jun 2016, at 10:16, Caleb James DeLisle <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Vote layout 1, we absolutely need a tree, this is killing us.
>
> Do you realize that we already have a tree? :) (hint: it’s in the
breadcrumb).

> The Tour should make users find it more easily.

I don't think so.. plus each user needs to get it from the tour. There is
also a big difference between and always visible tree and a icon you can
click..

> The tree is good for a KB which is probably our main flavor but it’s
taking space too which could be better used by other things (if you’re in
workgroups flavor you're probably more interested by apps).

It also works for documentation.

The tree in my view would only be for the main Wiki. Subwikis for
workgroups would have the usual apps.

> It’s a pity that the breadcrumb is not more visible somehow. My hope is
that the tour will help on that but it may be not enough potentially.

It's not enough in my view. I'm quite convinced on my side that the tree
would help navigate the content especially initially

> > One of the things which *made* MS Windows was the fact that you had a
tree of folders
> > in the explorer. Same thing (tree) is shown in Thunderbird mail and in
google docs.

> > Thanks,
> > Caleb
> >

> > On 01/06/16 17:49, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> This is a follow up on the initial brainstorming done, see
> >> http://markmail.org/message/hbuhhkxcjodtfxwi
> >>
> >> This proposal aims to replace the current Dashboard with a more simple
wiki
> >> content page:

http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageSketches/HomepageLayoutVote/

> >> I would like you to vote on the 2 versions of left panels:
> >> 1. AppBar + Pages
> >> 2. AppBar
> >>
> >> Also provide feedback on the content. I've added the content on this
page:

http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageSketches/HomepagePrototype/
> >> in order for you to see how it behaves with the editors. [1]
> >>
> >> The objective was to have an easy to edit content, very close to what
we
> >> have in view mode.
> >>
> >> Let me know what you think.
> >> Thanks,
> >> Caty
> >>

> >> [1] Since we don't have CKEditor installed on design wiki, see how it
would
> >> looks like

http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/HomepageSketches/WebHome/ckeditor.png

Re: [UX][Proposal] Simplifying the Homepage (content + left panels)

Guillaume Delhumeau

> > On 08 Jun 2016, at 10:16, Caleb James DeLisle <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Vote layout 1, we absolutely need a tree, this is killing us.
>
> Do you realize that we already have a tree? :) (hint: it’s in the
> breadcrumb).
>
> The Tour should make users find it more easily.
>
> The tree is good for a KB which is probably our main flavor but it’s
> taking space too which could be better used by other things (if you’re in
> workgroups flavor you're probably more interested by apps).
>
> It’s a pity that the breadcrumb is not more visible somehow. My hope is
> that the tour will help on that but it may be not enough potentially.

We could open the tree when the mouse is over the breadcrumb, without the
need of any click, so it will "pop up" to the user and get more attention.
(I'm not a fan of this concept that I find annoying, but it could help new
users).

> > One of the things which *made* MS Windows was the fact that you had a
> tree of folders
> > in the explorer. Same thing (tree) is shown in Thunderbird mail and in
> google docs.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Caleb
> >

> > On 01/06/16 17:49, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> This is a follow up on the initial brainstorming done, see
> >> http://markmail.org/message/hbuhhkxcjodtfxwi
> >>
> >> This proposal aims to replace the current Dashboard with a more simple
> wiki
> >> content page:
> >>
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageSketches/HomepageLayoutVote/
> >>
> >> I would like you to vote on the 2 versions of left panels:
> >> 1. AppBar + Pages
> >> 2. AppBar
> >>
> >> Also provide feedback on the content. I've added the content on this
> page:
> >>
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageSketches/HomepagePrototype/
> >> in order for you to see how it behaves with the editors. [1]
> >>
> >> The objective was to have an easy to edit content, very close to what we
> >> have in view mode.
> >>
> >> Let me know what you think.
> >> Thanks,
> >> Caty
> >>

> >> [1] Since we don't have CKEditor installed on design wiki, see how it
> would
> >> looks like
> >>
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/HomepageSketches/WebHome/ckeditor.png

Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [UX][Proposal] Simplifying the Homepage (content + left panels)

Caleb James DeLisle-3
Correction:
Google docs doesn't use a tree, they have a lefthand "menu" instead.
Google docs is filling me with hate and rage right now, anything they do for UI, do the opposite.

On 08/06/16 10:16, Caleb James DeLisle wrote:

> Vote layout 1, we absolutely need a tree, this is killing us.
> One of the things which *made* MS Windows was the fact that you had a tree of folders
> in the explorer. Same thing (tree) is shown in Thunderbird mail and in google docs.
>
> Thanks,
> Caleb
>

> On 01/06/16 17:49, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This is a follow up on the initial brainstorming done, see
>> http://markmail.org/message/hbuhhkxcjodtfxwi
>>
>> This proposal aims to replace the current Dashboard with a more simple wiki
>> content page:
>> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageSketches/HomepageLayoutVote/
>>
>> I would like you to vote on the 2 versions of left panels:
>> 1. AppBar + Pages
>> 2. AppBar
>>
>> Also provide feedback on the content. I've added the content on this page:
>> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageSketches/HomepagePrototype/
>> in order for you to see how it behaves with the editors. [1]
>>
>> The objective was to have an easy to edit content, very close to what we
>> have in view mode.
>>
>> Let me know what you think.
>> Thanks,
>> Caty
>>

>> [1] Since we don't have CKEditor installed on design wiki, see how it would
>> looks like
>> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/HomepageSketches/WebHome/ckeditor.png

Re: [UX][Proposal] Simplifying the Homepage (content + left panels)

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 6:49 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]

> This is a follow up on the initial brainstorming done, see
> http://markmail.org/message/hbuhhkxcjodtfxwi
>
> This proposal aims to replace the current Dashboard with a more simple wiki
> content page:
>
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageSketches/HomepageLayoutVote/
>
> I would like you to vote on the 2 versions of left panels:
>

> 1. AppBar + Pages

The tree (Pages) looks good when you have a few top level nodes and only
one level of hierarchy. It doesn't look that good when you have many nodes
and a deep hierarchy because it needs more space than what is available in
the panel. Vertically is kind of OK but you cannot add another panel below
the tree because it will be shifted down when you expand the tree. We could
limit the height of the tree (max-height) but we'll get a vertical scroll
bar pretty soon. The horizontal space is a big problem. Wrapping the node
labels on multiple lines might work if the hierarchy is not deep, but the
horizontal scroll bar is inevitable in the end. Having scroll bars
(especially horizontal) inside a web page is bad UIX. A solution is to
allow the user to resize the panel width using some drag handle. The panel
content will have to adapt to the panel size dynamically of course.

So I think version (1) looks good but it doesn't scale with what we have
right now. Thus I'm more in favour of solution (2), at least until we can
resize the panel width.

> 2. AppBar
>
> Also provide feedback on the content. I've added the content on this page:
>
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageSketches/HomepagePrototype/
> in order for you to see how it behaves with the editors. [1]
>
> The objective was to have an easy to edit content, very close to what we
> have in view mode.
>
> Let me know what you think.
> Thanks,
> Caty
>

> [1] Since we don't have CKEditor installed on design wiki, see how it would
> looks like
>
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/HomepageSketches/WebHome/ckeditor.png

Re: [UX][Proposal] Simplifying the Homepage (content + left panels)

> On 08 Jun 2016, at 11:01, Marius Dumitru Florea <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 6:49 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]

>> This is a follow up on the initial brainstorming done, see
>> http://markmail.org/message/hbuhhkxcjodtfxwi
>>
>> This proposal aims to replace the current Dashboard with a more simple wiki
>> content page:
>>
>> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageSketches/HomepageLayoutVote/
>>
>> I would like you to vote on the 2 versions of left panels:
>>

>> 1. AppBar + Pages
>>

> The tree (Pages) looks good when you have a few top level nodes and only
> one level of hierarchy. It doesn't look that good when you have many nodes
> and a deep hierarchy because it needs more space than what is available in
> the panel. Vertically is kind of OK but you cannot add another panel below
> the tree because it will be shifted down when you expand the tree. We could
> limit the height of the tree (max-height) but we'll get a vertical scroll
> bar pretty soon. The horizontal space is a big problem. Wrapping the node
> labels on multiple lines might work if the hierarchy is not deep, but the
> horizontal scroll bar is inevitable in the end. Having scroll bars
> (especially horizontal) inside a web page is bad UIX. A solution is to
> allow the user to resize the panel width using some drag handle. The panel
> content will have to adapt to the panel size dynamically of course.
>
> So I think version (1) looks good but it doesn't scale with what we have
> right now. Thus I'm more in favour of solution (2), at least until we can
> resize the panel width.

I think the idea for the tree is to have something by default that helps the user initially.

If for their future needs, it’s not perfect for their need like taking too much vertical space, they can always remove it.

It’s more for users to understand that there’s a hierarchy of pages in their wiki I think.

> Marius
>

>> 2. AppBar
>>
>> Also provide feedback on the content. I've added the content on this page:
>>
>> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageSketches/HomepagePrototype/
>> in order for you to see how it behaves with the editors. [1]
>>
>> The objective was to have an easy to edit content, very close to what we
>> have in view mode.
>>
>> Let me know what you think.
>> Thanks,
>> Caty
>>

>> [1] Since we don't have CKEditor installed on design wiki, see how it would
>> looks like
>>
>> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/HomepageSketches/WebHome/ckeditor.png

Re: [UX][Proposal] Simplifying the Homepage (content + left panels)

Marius Dumitru Florea
On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 12:06 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 08 Jun 2016, at 11:01, Marius Dumitru Florea <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 6:49 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
> [hidden email]
> >> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> This is a follow up on the initial brainstorming done, see
> >> http://markmail.org/message/hbuhhkxcjodtfxwi
> >>
> >> This proposal aims to replace the current Dashboard with a more simple
> wiki
> >> content page:
> >>

> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageSketches/HomepageLayoutVote/
> >>
> >> I would like you to vote on the 2 versions of left panels:
> >>

> >> 1. AppBar + Pages
> >>

> > The tree (Pages) looks good when you have a few top level nodes and only
> > one level of hierarchy. It doesn't look that good when you have many
> nodes
> > and a deep hierarchy because it needs more space than what is available
> in
> > the panel. Vertically is kind of OK but you cannot add another panel
> below
> > the tree because it will be shifted down when you expand the tree. We
> could
> > limit the height of the tree (max-height) but we'll get a vertical scroll
> > bar pretty soon. The horizontal space is a big problem. Wrapping the node
> > labels on multiple lines might work if the hierarchy is not deep, but the
> > horizontal scroll bar is inevitable in the end. Having scroll bars
> > (especially horizontal) inside a web page is bad UIX. A solution is to
> > allow the user to resize the panel width using some drag handle. The
> panel
> > content will have to adapt to the panel size dynamically of course.
> >
> > So I think version (1) looks good but it doesn't scale with what we have
> > right now. Thus I'm more in favour of solution (2), at least until we can
> > resize the panel width.
>
> I think the idea for the tree is to have something by default that helps
> the user initially.
>
> If for their future needs, it’s not perfect for their need like taking too
> much vertical space, they can always remove it.
>

> It’s more for users to understand that there’s a hierarchy of pages in
> their wiki I think.

In that case I'm OK with version (1).

> > Marius
> >

> >> 2. AppBar
> >>
> >> Also provide feedback on the content. I've added the content on this
> page:
> >>

> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/HomepageSketches/HomepagePrototype/
> >> in order for you to see how it behaves with the editors. [1]
> >>
> >> The objective was to have an easy to edit content, very close to what we
> >> have in view mode.
> >>
> >> Let me know what you think.
> >> Thanks,
> >> Caty
> >>

> >> [1] Since we don't have CKEditor installed on design wiki, see how it
> would
> >> looks like
> >>

> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/HomepageSketches/WebHome/ckeditor.png

Re: [UX][Proposal] Simplifying the Homepage (content + left panels)

Caleb James DeLisle-3
I disagree with this point, as a user of web interfaces I don't care if
they look completely busted as long as I can make use of them, even if they
become unusable in 5% of the situations, that's 95% where I can use them.

Granted if we ship something that looks broken it's an embarassement but
if we ship something that a person cannot navigate then we don't even have
them complaining at us, they just become another silent non-adopter.

On 08/06/16 11:01, Marius Dumitru Florea wrote:
> So I think version (1) looks good but it doesn't scale with what we have
> right now. Thus I'm more in favour of solution (2), at least until we can
> resize the panel width.

Re: [UX][Proposal] Simplifying the Homepage (content + left panels)

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
Votes so far on layout:
1. +1 (Ludovic), +1 (Caleb)
2. +1 (GD), +1 (Marius), +1 (Vincent)
3. +1 (GL)

After more discussions the vote swifted towards:
1. +1 (Ludovic), +1 (Caleb), +0 (Marius), +0 (Vincent)
2. +1 (GD), +1 (Marius), +1 (Vincent)
3. +1 (GL)

My preference goes to 2.

I vote for 2 since I believe that the Tree is already in the Breadcrumb,
and the breadcrumb is introduced by the Tour.
I vote for 2 since we have scalability issues that I believe they will pose
some problems on the long run for the users.

The only advantage var 1 has is that it displays the tree from the start to
the user. But after a time the user will be 'forced' to configure its wiki
and remove it.
Each time the user will install a new app, both the Appbar and the Tree
will increase in size.

I like much more the classic AppBar navigation pattern and I think XWiki's
greater strength is in applications.

We are lacking now multiple flavors that could showcase both the KB and
Groupware cases, but if I were to choose a default, that would be
Groupware.

So on V1 I will be +0, but definitely -1 on V3.

Votes so far:
1. +1 (Ludovic), +1 (Caleb), +0 (Marius), +0 (Vincent), +0 (Caty)
2. +1 (GD), +1 (Marius), +1 (Vincent), +1 (Caty)
3. +1 (GL), -1 (Caty)

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 12:09 PM, Caleb James DeLisle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I disagree with this point, as a user of web interfaces I don't care if
> they look completely busted as long as I can make use of them, even if they
> become unusable in 5% of the situations, that's 95% where I can use them.
>
> Granted if we ship something that looks broken it's an embarassement but
> if we ship something that a person cannot navigate then we don't even have
> them complaining at us, they just become another silent non-adopter.
>

> On 08/06/16 11:01, Marius Dumitru Florea wrote:
>
>> So I think version (1) looks good but it doesn't scale with what we have
>> right now. Thus I'm more in favour of solution (2), at least until we can
>> resize the panel width.

Re: [UX][Proposal] Simplifying the Homepage (content + left panels)

> On 08 Jun 2016, at 13:50, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Votes so far on layout:
> 1. +1 (Ludovic), +1 (Caleb)
> 2. +1 (GD), +1 (Marius), +1 (Vincent)

That’s not correct. I haven’t voted yet and I never said that the tree shouldn’t be there.

I just highlighted pros and cons of each :)

+1 to 1 because:
- This is the option that shows clearly the concept of page hierarchy to users
- Admins can then choose to keep it, only keep the AppBar (workgroup flavor-style) or only keep the Tree (documentation flavor-style)
- This is about the default flavor which is generic. When we introduce more flavors in the future, those flavors can favor a different panel organization depending what’s best for them

> 3. +1 (GL)
>
> After more discussions the vote swifted towards:
> 1. +1 (Ludovic), +1 (Caleb), +0 (Marius), +0 (Vincent)
> 2. +1 (GD), +1 (Marius), +1 (Vincent)
> 3. +1 (GL)
>
> My preference goes to 2.
>
> I vote for 2 since I believe that the Tree is already in the Breadcrumb,
> and the breadcrumb is introduced by the Tour.
> I vote for 2 since we have scalability issues that I believe they will pose
> some problems on the long run for the users.
>
> The only advantage var 1 has is that it displays the tree from the start to
> the user. But after a time the user will be 'forced' to configure its wiki
> and remove it.
> Each time the user will install a new app, both the Appbar and the Tree
> will increase in size.
>
> I like much more the classic AppBar navigation pattern and I think XWiki's
> greater strength is in applications.
>
> We are lacking now multiple flavors that could showcase both the KB and
> Groupware cases, but if I were to choose a default, that would be
> Groupware.
>
> So on V1 I will be +0, but definitely -1 on V3.
>
> Votes so far:
> 1. +1 (Ludovic), +1 (Caleb), +0 (Marius), +0 (Vincent), +0 (Caty)
> 2. +1 (GD), +1 (Marius), +1 (Vincent), +1 (Caty)
> 3. +1 (GL), -1 (Caty)
>
> Thanks,
> Caty
>
> On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 12:09 PM, Caleb James DeLisle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I disagree with this point, as a user of web interfaces I don't care if
>> they look completely busted as long as I can make use of them, even if they
>> become unusable in 5% of the situations, that's 95% where I can use them.
>>
>> Granted if we ship something that looks broken it's an embarassement but
>> if we ship something that a person cannot navigate then we don't even have
>> them complaining at us, they just become another silent non-adopter.
>>

>> On 08/06/16 11:01, Marius Dumitru Florea wrote:
>>
>>> So I think version (1) looks good but it doesn't scale with what we have
>>> right now. Thus I'm more in favour of solution (2), at least until we can
>>> resize the panel width.
12