[UX] Simpler Upgrades

I've heard that the upgrade process is a complicated process and relies on
a lot of manual operations. I haven't investigated the technical solutions
we have at our disposal, but I tried to image the desired UI an
Administrator would want when upgrading:

* be notified that a new version is available:
https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/Upgrade/SimplerUpgrade/WebHome/notifications.png

* have an upgrade section in Administration where Distribution and
Extensions can be checked for new versions and upgraded / backed:
https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/Upgrade/SimplerUpgrade/WebHome/state1.png

https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/Upgrade/SimplerUpgrade/WebHome/state2.png

A more detailed proposal at
https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Upgrade/SimplerUpgrade/

So, what are your thoughts on this?

Re: [UX] Simpler Upgrades

Thanks Caty.

See below

> On 21 Sep 2018, at 15:56, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi devs,
>
> I've heard that the upgrade process is a complicated process and relies on
> a lot of manual operations. I haven't investigated the technical solutions
> we have at our disposal, but I tried to image the desired UI an
> Administrator would want when upgrading:
>
> * be notified that a new version is available:
> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/Upgrade/SimplerUpgrade/WebHome/notifications.png
>
> * have an upgrade section in Administration where Distribution and
> Extensions can be checked for new versions and upgraded / backed:
> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/Upgrade/SimplerUpgrade/WebHome/state1.png
>
> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/Upgrade/SimplerUpgrade/WebHome/state2.png
>
> A more detailed proposal at
> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Upgrade/SimplerUpgrade/
>
> So, what are your thoughts on this?

Some thoughts:

1) Automatic distribution upgrade would be very nice but it’s hard to do for all packagings. We already do it for the debian one (apt-get upgrade) and we could do it better for some others (docker, standalone). However for the manual WAR install it’s harder and I don’t even know if it’s possible (at least for all supported servlet containers). One idea would be to implement it for Tomcat only for example and have a way to control the tomcat manager (manager app) to perform the upgrade of the webapp.

1a) Would be nice to have a a distribution upgrade UI too for merging the various configuration files (could be a separate webapp for ex - haven’t really thought about this).
1b) For the docker upgrade we can look at the discourse upgrade process, to see if there are some good ideas to reuse

2) We have comments about the DW being hard to understand/complex. You haven’t addressed this. Is it because you didn’t find anything to improve?

3) We regularly see users having problems to upgrade (cf forum, irc, mailing lists) and we’d need to list the common issues they have. Their problems may not be related to the UI but to bugs/limitations we currently have.

4) A typical known issue is when the user skips/clicks “never” on the DW. He cannot get it to appear afterwards. We will need to fix this usability issue for ex.

> Caty

Re: [UX] Simpler Upgrades

One more point on this investigation:

5) Remove the need to merge configuration files and make sure the user shouldn’t need to edit anything in the WAR itself. See https://forum.xwiki.org/t/managing-configuration-changes-when-upgrading-xwiki-using-docker/3631/16 and https://markmail.org/message/6cvm5hocvtbqtgp6 (there’s a more recent discussion thread, need to find it).

This point is important and a pain when you upgrade. This would be a good candidate IMO to improve xwiki’s upgradability and we could implement it sooner than later (knowing that we’ve been wanting to have that fore years now ;)).

> On 21 Sep 2018, at 16:19, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks Caty.
>
> See below
>
>> On 21 Sep 2018, at 15:56, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> I've heard that the upgrade process is a complicated process and relies on
>> a lot of manual operations. I haven't investigated the technical solutions
>> we have at our disposal, but I tried to image the desired UI an
>> Administrator would want when upgrading:
>>
>> * be notified that a new version is available:
>> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/Upgrade/SimplerUpgrade/WebHome/notifications.png
>>
>> * have an upgrade section in Administration where Distribution and
>> Extensions can be checked for new versions and upgraded / backed:
>> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/Upgrade/SimplerUpgrade/WebHome/state1.png
>>
>> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/Upgrade/SimplerUpgrade/WebHome/state2.png
>>
>> A more detailed proposal at
>> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Upgrade/SimplerUpgrade/
>>
>> So, what are your thoughts on this?
>
> Some thoughts:
>
> 1) Automatic distribution upgrade would be very nice but it’s hard to do for all packagings. We already do it for the debian one (apt-get upgrade) and we could do it better for some others (docker, standalone). However for the manual WAR install it’s harder and I don’t even know if it’s possible (at least for all supported servlet containers). One idea would be to implement it for Tomcat only for example and have a way to control the tomcat manager (manager app) to perform the upgrade of the webapp.
>
> 1a) Would be nice to have a a distribution upgrade UI too for merging the various configuration files (could be a separate webapp for ex - haven’t really thought about this).
> 1b) For the docker upgrade we can look at the discourse upgrade process, to see if there are some good ideas to reuse
>
> 2) We have comments about the DW being hard to understand/complex. You haven’t addressed this. Is it because you didn’t find anything to improve?
>
> 3) We regularly see users having problems to upgrade (cf forum, irc, mailing lists) and we’d need to list the common issues they have. Their problems may not be related to the UI but to bugs/limitations we currently have.
>
> 4) A typical known issue is when the user skips/clicks “never” on the DW. He cannot get it to appear afterwards. We will need to fix this usability issue for ex.

>> Caty

Re: [UX] Simpler Upgrades

Paul Libbrecht-2
This should include the classical settings such as shortURLs and root web app. Can it?
(at least shortURLs seems doable to me)

paul

On 22 Sep 2018, at 9:44, Vincent Massol wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> 1a) Would be nice to have a a distribution upgrade UI too for merging the various configuration files (could be a separate webapp for ex - haven’t really thought about this).
>> 1b) For the docker upgrade we can look at the discourse upgrade process, to see if there are some good ideas to reuse
>>
>> 2) We have comments about the DW being hard to understand/complex. You haven’t addressed this. Is it because you didn’t find anything to improve?
>>
>> 3) We regularly see users having problems to upgrade (cf forum, irc, mailing lists) and we’d need to list the common issues they have. Their problems may not be related to the UI but to bugs/limitations we currently have.
>>
>> 4) A typical known issue is when the user skips/clicks “never” on the DW. He cannot get it to appear afterwards. We will need to fix this usability issue for ex.

>>> Caty

Re: [UX] Simpler Upgrades

Hi Paul,

> On 22 Sep 2018, at 10:21, Paul Libbrecht <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This should include the classical settings such as shortURLs and root web app. Can it?
> (at least shortURLs seems doable to me)

Yes indeed.

If a user configures XWiki to use short URL then the upgrade should preserve it, yes (if that’s what you mean).

Also, short urls are configured through a combination of the following files:
* web.xml
* some jar files (urlrewrite filter + robin jars)
* some extra config file currently put in WEB-INF: rewrite.xml

So indeed we also need to make it simple/simpler to configure short urls (and possibly have it by default too). This can mean bundling the web.xml + jars + rewrite.xml by default and then having some option to enable short url.

> paul
>
> On 22 Sep 2018, at 9:44, Vincent Massol wrote:
>
>> One more point on this investigation:
>>
>> 5) Remove the need to merge configuration files and make sure the user shouldn’t need to edit anything in the WAR itself. See https://forum.xwiki.org/t/managing-configuration-changes-when-upgrading-xwiki-using-docker/3631/16 and https://markmail.org/message/6cvm5hocvtbqtgp6 (there’s a more recent discussion thread, need to find it).
>>
>> This point is important and a pain when you upgrade. This would be a good candidate IMO to improve xwiki’s upgradability and we could implement it sooner than later (knowing that we’ve been wanting to have that fore years now ;)).

>>> On 21 Sep 2018, at 16:19, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks Caty.
>>>
>>> See below

>>> Some thoughts:
>>>
>>> 1) Automatic distribution upgrade would be very nice but it’s hard to do for all packagings. We already do it for the debian one (apt-get upgrade) and we could do it better for some others (docker, standalone). However for the manual WAR install it’s harder and I don’t even know if it’s possible (at least for all supported servlet containers). One idea would be to implement it for Tomcat only for example and have a way to control the tomcat manager (manager app) to perform the upgrade of the webapp.
>>>
>>> 1a) Would be nice to have a a distribution upgrade UI too for merging the various configuration files (could be a separate webapp for ex - haven’t really thought about this).
>>> 1b) For the docker upgrade we can look at the discourse upgrade process, to see if there are some good ideas to reuse
>>>
>>> 2) We have comments about the DW being hard to understand/complex. You haven’t addressed this. Is it because you didn’t find anything to improve?
>>>
>>> 3) We regularly see users having problems to upgrade (cf forum, irc, mailing lists) and we’d need to list the common issues they have. Their problems may not be related to the UI but to bugs/limitations we currently have.
>>>
>>> 4) A typical known issue is when the user skips/clicks “never” on the DW. He cannot get it to appear afterwards. We will need to fix this usability issue for ex.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> -Vincent

Re: [UX] Simpler Upgrades

On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 5:19 PM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Caty.
>
> See below
>
> > On 21 Sep 2018, at 15:56, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > I've heard that the upgrade process is a complicated process and relies
> on
> > a lot of manual operations. I haven't investigated the technical
> solutions
> > we have at our disposal, but I tried to image the desired UI an
> > Administrator would want when upgrading:
> >
> > * be notified that a new version is available:
> >
> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/Upgrade/SimplerUpgrade/WebHome/notifications.png
> >
> > * have an upgrade section in Administration where Distribution and
> > Extensions can be checked for new versions and upgraded / backed:
> >
> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/Upgrade/SimplerUpgrade/WebHome/state1.png
> >

> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/Upgrade/SimplerUpgrade/WebHome/state2.png
> >
> > A more detailed proposal at
> > https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Upgrade/SimplerUpgrade/
> >
> > So, what are your thoughts on this?
>
> Some thoughts:
>
> 1) Automatic distribution upgrade would be very nice but it’s hard to do
> for all packagings. We already do it for the debian one (apt-get upgrade)
> and we could do it better for some others (docker, standalone). However for
> the manual WAR install it’s harder and I don’t even know if it’s possible
> (at least for all supported servlet containers). One idea would be to
> implement it for Tomcat only for example and have a way to control the
> tomcat manager (manager app) to perform the upgrade of the webapp.
>
> 1a) Would be nice to have a a distribution upgrade UI too for merging the
> various configuration files (could be a separate webapp for ex - haven’t
> really thought about this).
> 1b) For the docker upgrade we can look at the discourse upgrade process,
> to see if there are some good ideas to reuse
>
> 2) We have comments about the DW being hard to understand/complex. You
> haven’t addressed this. Is it because you didn’t find anything to improve?
>
> 3) We regularly see users having problems to upgrade (cf forum, irc,
> mailing lists) and we’d need to list the common issues they have. Their
> problems may not be related to the UI but to bugs/limitations we currently
> have.

https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Upgrade/SimplerUpgrade/Feedback/
Here is a list containing feedback about upgrades from 2017 and 2018 found
in various testimonials, surveys, reported issues, top issues, user
interviews, support and forum entries.
I've listed ideal features, improvements suggestions and bugs our users
encountered during upgrades during this period, also mentioning from what
version to what version they've encountered the problem and related issues
reported regarding the problem.
Take a look at them and see what you think. There are also some suggested
action to take for the problems.

Thomas suggested that I could make design proposals for:
1. Invalid extensions step: step in DW that display the invalid extensions
and ask the user to remove them.
or
2. Environment validation step: step in the beginning of DW that validates
the configuration found locally and suggest improvements in order for the
instance to work properly.

> 4) A typical known issue is when the user skips/clicks “never” on the DW.
> He cannot get it to appear afterwards. We will need to fix this usability
> issue for ex.

> > Caty

Re: [UX] Simpler Upgrades

> On 8 Nov 2018, at 17:12, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 5:19 PM Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Caty.
>>
>> See below
>>
>>> On 21 Sep 2018, at 15:56, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi devs,
>>>
>>> I've heard that the upgrade process is a complicated process and relies
>> on
>>> a lot of manual operations. I haven't investigated the technical
>> solutions
>>> we have at our disposal, but I tried to image the desired UI an
>>> Administrator would want when upgrading:
>>>
>>> * be notified that a new version is available:
>>>
>> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/Upgrade/SimplerUpgrade/WebHome/notifications.png
>>>
>>> * have an upgrade section in Administration where Distribution and
>>> Extensions can be checked for new versions and upgraded / backed:
>>>
>> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/Upgrade/SimplerUpgrade/WebHome/state1.png
>>>

>> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/Upgrade/SimplerUpgrade/WebHome/state2.png
>>>
>>> A more detailed proposal at
>>> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Upgrade/SimplerUpgrade/
>>>
>>> So, what are your thoughts on this?
>>
>> Some thoughts:
>>
>> 1) Automatic distribution upgrade would be very nice but it’s hard to do
>> for all packagings. We already do it for the debian one (apt-get upgrade)
>> and we could do it better for some others (docker, standalone). However for
>> the manual WAR install it’s harder and I don’t even know if it’s possible
>> (at least for all supported servlet containers). One idea would be to
>> implement it for Tomcat only for example and have a way to control the
>> tomcat manager (manager app) to perform the upgrade of the webapp.
>>
>> 1a) Would be nice to have a a distribution upgrade UI too for merging the
>> various configuration files (could be a separate webapp for ex - haven’t
>> really thought about this).
>> 1b) For the docker upgrade we can look at the discourse upgrade process,
>> to see if there are some good ideas to reuse
>>
>> 2) We have comments about the DW being hard to understand/complex. You
>> haven’t addressed this. Is it because you didn’t find anything to improve?
>>
>> 3) We regularly see users having problems to upgrade (cf forum, irc,
>> mailing lists) and we’d need to list the common issues they have. Their
>> problems may not be related to the UI but to bugs/limitations we currently
>> have.
>>

> https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Upgrade/SimplerUpgrade/Feedback/

Thanks Caty for working on this. Plenty of things, probably too many :)

Would be great to have a top 5 of must urgents points and make sure to have a jiras for them.

They could be good contenders for next year for the 11.x cycle.

> Here is a list containing feedback about upgrades from 2017 and 2018 found
> in various testimonials, surveys, reported issues, top issues, user
> interviews, support and forum entries.
> I've listed ideal features, improvements suggestions and bugs our users
> encountered during upgrades during this period, also mentioning from what
> version to what version they've encountered the problem and related issues
> reported regarding the problem.
> Take a look at them and see what you think. There are also some suggested
> action to take for the problems.
>
> Thomas suggested that I could make design proposals for:
> 1. Invalid extensions step: step in DW that display the invalid extensions
> and ask the user to remove them.
> or
> 2. Environment validation step: step in the beginning of DW that validates
> the configuration found locally and suggest improvements in order for the
> instance to work properly.

> Caty
>

>> 4) A typical known issue is when the user skips/clicks “never” on the DW.
>> He cannot get it to appear afterwards. We will need to fix this usability
>> issue for ex.

>>> Thanks,
>>> Caty