[UX] Tips&Tricks

I was thinking about what tips and tricks XWiki has, things that are not
really that well documented but that are very productive and fun.
Would be nice to have such an inspiring thread from which we could learn a
lot and, why not, have fun experimenting :)

If the thread is really useful we could also integrate these tips more
clearly in our documentation or also we could have a tips panel inside XWiki
Enterprise, for beginners/intermediate users.

The tip structure could be:
*Title: **
Level: **
Target: *

Caty*
*

Re: [UX] Tips&Tricks

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 19:45, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was thinking about what tips and tricks XWiki has, things that are not
> really that well documented but that are very productive and fun.
> Would be nice to have such an inspiring thread from which we could learn a
> lot and, why not, have fun experimenting :)
>
> If the thread is really useful we could also integrate these tips more
> clearly in our documentation or also we could have a tips panel inside XWiki
> Enterprise, for beginners/intermediate users.
>
> The tip structure could be:
> *Title: **
> Level: **
> Target: *

> Caty*
> *

*Title: *Using emoticons*
Level:* Intermediate /* *Advanced*
Target: *User
*Since:* XE 2.6
Did you know that you can have emoticons :) :P :D  in your text?

Just write the textual
emoticons<http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/ReleaseNotes/ReleaseNotesXWikiEnterprise26#H3Icon2FEmoticonSupport>and
they will be rendered in your saved page.

If you want to use more diverse
icons<http://www.famfamfam.com/lab/icons/silk/previews/index_abc.png>you
will have to switch
to XWiki 2.1 Syntax<http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/PageEditing#HChoosingaSyntax>and
write something like image:icon:accept
.

Re: [UX] Tips&Tricks

<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was thinking about what tips and tricks XWiki has, things that are not
> really that well documented but that are very productive and fun.
> Would be nice to have such an inspiring thread from which we could learn a
> lot and, why not, have fun experimenting :)
>
> If the thread is really useful we could also integrate these tips more
> clearly in our documentation or also we could have a tips panel inside XWiki
> Enterprise, for beginners/intermediate users.
>
> The tip structure could be:
> *Title: **
> Level: **
> Target: *

*Title:* Using Keyboard Shortcuts
 *Level: *Advanced
 *Target: *User / Developer / Admin
*Since:* XE 1.4
Did you know that you can save your page by pressing [Alt] + [Shift] + [S] ?

XWiki has a variety of keyboard shortcuts that can be used depending on the
context. There are shortcuts that can be used in the Wiki Editor, others
that are specific to the WYSIWYG Editor, some can be used for the View mode
or in the Edit mode. Read more about
shortcuts<http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/KeyboardShortcuts>
.

Some shortcuts are global and can be used by all users, while others are
just specific to advanced users. In order to change your user
type<http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/PageEditing#HAdvancedMode>you
need edit your Profile Preferences. This will activate shortcuts like
[H] that displays the page history or [O] that takes you inside the objects
editor.

> Thanks,
> Caty*
> *

Re: [xwiki-devs] [UX] Tips&Tricks

Sergiu Dumitriu-2

On 07/20/2011 12:46 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 19:45, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was thinking about what tips and tricks XWiki has, things that are not
>> really that well documented but that are very productive and fun.
>> Would be nice to have such an inspiring thread from which we could learn a
>> lot and, why not, have fun experimenting :)
>>
>> If the thread is really useful we could also integrate these tips more
>> clearly in our documentation or also we could have a tips panel inside XWiki
>> Enterprise, for beginners/intermediate users.
>>
>> The tip structure could be:
>> *Title: **
>> Level: **
>> Target: *
>>

> *Title:* Using Keyboard Shortcuts
>   *Level: *Advanced
>   *Target: *User / Developer / Admin
> *Since:* XE 1.4
> Did you know that you can save your page by pressing [Alt] + [Shift] + [S] ?
>
> XWiki has a variety of keyboard shortcuts that can be used depending on the
> context. There are shortcuts that can be used in the Wiki Editor, others
> that are specific to the WYSIWYG Editor, some can be used for the View mode
> or in the Edit mode. Read more about
> shortcuts<http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/KeyboardShortcuts>
> .
>
> Some shortcuts are global and can be used by all users, while others are
> just specific to advanced users. In order to change your user
> type<http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/PageEditing#HAdvancedMode>you
> need edit your Profile Preferences. This will activate shortcuts like
> [H] that displays the page history or [O] that takes you inside the objects
> editor.

Sounds very good.

Re: [UX] Tips&Tricks

Lockie
This is a snippet that I found very useful for navigational purposes:

Title: Space menu
Level: Intermediate
Target: Developer/User
Since: N/A
Lists pages in the current space:

{{velocity}}
|=Menu
#set($sql = "where doc.parent = '${doc.web}.${doc.name}'")
#foreach($item in $xwiki.searchDocuments($sql))
 |[[${item}]]
#end
{{/velocity}}

Regards
Lockie
Lockie

Re: [UX] Tips&Tricks

Here's another (simpler?) way of doing this:

|=Menu
#foreach ($page in $xwiki.getSpaceDocsName($doc.space))
|$page
#end