Unable to clone platform repository on windows machines - redundant directory naming

Unable to clone platform repository on windows machines - redundant directory naming

Florin Ciubotaru
Hi,

This issue was addressed previously in
http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XWIKI-6591, but other long path files have
been committed since then. I feel the problem is going to continue to appear
without a convention for directory naming.

Paths are very redundant in some cases, leading to long strings which are
not compatible with windows systems.
Eg:
-
xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-extension/xwiki-platform-extension-repositories/xwiki-platform-extension-repository-xwiki/xwiki-platform-extension-repository-xwiki-client/src/main/java/org/xwiki/extension/repository/xwiki/internal/
-
xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-extension/xwiki-platform-extension-repositories/xwiki-platform-extension-repository-xwiki/xwiki-platform-extension-repository-xwiki-server-api/src/main/java/org/xwiki/extension/repository/xwiki/internal/
- xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-classloader/xwiki-platform-classloader-protocols/xwiki-platform-classloader-protocol-attachmentjar/src/test/java/org/xwiki/classloader/internal/protocol/attachmentjar/

We should probably have a convention limiting the git path(relative
directory + filename) to a max of ~230 chars, leaving the developer with
about 20 chars for his local root folder(which is still pretty low).

Current list of files breaking "git clone":

-
xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-classloader/xwiki-platform-classloader-protocols/xwiki-platform-classloader-protocol-attachmentjar/src/test/java/org/xwiki/classloader/internal/protocol/attachmentjar/AttachmentURLStreamHandlerTest.java
-
xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-extension/xwiki-platform-extension-repositories/xwiki-platform-extension-repository-xwiki/xwiki-platform-extension-repository-xwiki-client/src/main/java/org/xwiki/extension/repository/xwiki/internal/XWikiExtension.java
-
xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-extension/xwiki-platform-extension-repositories/xwiki-platform-extension-repository-xwiki/xwiki-platform-extension-repository-xwiki-client/src/main/java/org/xwiki/extension/repository/xwiki/internal/XWikiExtensionDependency.java
-
xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-extension/xwiki-platform-extension-repositories/xwiki-platform-extension-repository-xwiki/xwiki-platform-extension-repository-xwiki-client/src/main/java/org/xwiki/extension/repository/xwiki/internal/XWikiExtensionRepository.java
-
xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-extension/xwiki-platform-extension-repositories/xwiki-platform-extension-repository-xwiki/xwiki-platform-extension-repository-xwiki-client/src/main/java/org/xwiki/extension/repository/xwiki/internal/XWikiExtensionRepositoryFactory.java
-
xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-extension/xwiki-platform-extension-repositories/xwiki-platform-extension-repository-xwiki/xwiki-platform-extension-repository-xwiki-server-api/src/main/java/org/xwiki/extension/repository/xwiki/internal/AbstractExtensionRESTResource.java
-
xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-extension/xwiki-platform-extension-repositories/xwiki-platform-extension-repository-xwiki/xwiki-platform-extension-repository-xwiki-server-api/src/main/java/org/xwiki/extension/repository/xwiki/internal/ExtensionFileRESTResource.java
-
xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-extension/xwiki-platform-extension-repositories/xwiki-platform-extension-repository-xwiki/xwiki-platform-extension-repository-xwiki-server-api/src/main/java/org/xwiki/extension/repository/xwiki/internal/ExtensionRESTResource.java
-
xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-extension/xwiki-platform-extension-repositories/xwiki-platform-extension-repository-xwiki/xwiki-platform-extension-repository-xwiki-server-api/src/main/java/org/xwiki/extension/repository/xwiki/internal/ExtensionSimpleSearchRESTResource.java

Thanks,
Florin Ciubotaru

Re: Unable to clone platform repository on windows machines - redundant directory naming

Sergiu Dumitriu-2
On 05/14/2011 05:22 PM, Florin Ciubotaru wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This issue was addressed previously in
> http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XWIKI-6591, but other long path files have
> been committed since then. I feel the problem is going to continue to appear
> without a convention for directory naming.
>
> Paths are very redundant in some cases, leading to long strings which are
> not compatible with windows systems.

This was originally voted in
http://markmail.org/thread/xgb3lltoqfwphukk
but the vote wasn't very strong. 3 voters actually preferred shorter names.

I agree that this is a problem, and I'd propose to revert the original
vote and use shorter names, without any redundancy. So:

> Eg:
> -
> xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-extension/xwiki-platform-extension-repositories/xwiki-platform-extension-repository-xwiki/xwiki-platform-extension-repository-xwiki-client/src/main/java/org/xwiki/extension/repository/xwiki/internal/

should become:

xwiki-platform/core/extension/repositories/xwiki/client/src/main/java/org/xwiki/extension/repository/xwiki/internal/

http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

On May 18, 2011, at 3:04 PM, Sergiu Dumitriu wrote:

> On 05/14/2011 05:22 PM, Florin Ciubotaru wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This issue was addressed previously in
>> http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XWIKI-6591, but other long path files have
>> been committed since then. I feel the problem is going to continue to appear
>> without a convention for directory naming.
>>
>> Paths are very redundant in some cases, leading to long strings which are
>> not compatible with windows systems.
>
> This was originally voted in
> http://markmail.org/thread/xgb3lltoqfwphukk
> but the vote wasn't very strong. 3 voters actually preferred shorter names.
>
> I agree that this is a problem, and I'd propose to revert the original
> vote and use shorter names, without any redundancy. So:
>
>> Eg:
>> -
>> xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-extension/xwiki-platform-extension-repositories/xwiki-platform-extension-repository-xwiki/xwiki-platform-extension-repository-xwiki-client/src/main/java/org/xwiki/extension/repository/xwiki/internal/
>
> should become:
>
> xwiki-platform/core/extension/repositories/xwiki/client/src/main/java/org/xwiki/extension/repository/xwiki/internal/

I think you meant:
core/extension/repositories/xwiki/client/src/main/java/org/xwiki/extension/repository/xwiki/internal/

So the rule would be: the part of the artifact id just after the last "-".

BTW there's no reason to keep "xwiki-platform" for the git repository name either. "platform" would do.

-Vincent

On 05/18/2011 03:11 PM, Vincent Massol wrote:

> On May 18, 2011, at 3:04 PM, Sergiu Dumitriu wrote:
>
>> On 05/14/2011 05:22 PM, Florin Ciubotaru wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> This issue was addressed previously in
>>> http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XWIKI-6591, but other long path files have
>>> been committed since then. I feel the problem is going to continue to appear
>>> without a convention for directory naming.
>>>
>>> Paths are very redundant in some cases, leading to long strings which are
>>> not compatible with windows systems.
>>
>> This was originally voted in
>> http://markmail.org/thread/xgb3lltoqfwphukk
>> but the vote wasn't very strong. 3 voters actually preferred shorter names.
>>
>> I agree that this is a problem, and I'd propose to revert the original
>> vote and use shorter names, without any redundancy. So:
>>
>>> Eg:
>>> -
>>> xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-extension/xwiki-platform-extension-repositories/xwiki-platform-extension-repository-xwiki/xwiki-platform-extension-repository-xwiki-client/src/main/java/org/xwiki/extension/repository/xwiki/internal/
>>
>> should become:
>>
>> xwiki-platform/core/extension/repositories/xwiki/client/src/main/java/org/xwiki/extension/repository/xwiki/internal/
>
> I think you meant:
> core/extension/repositories/xwiki/client/src/main/java/org/xwiki/extension/repository/xwiki/internal/

I also included the repository name, which indeed could be simplified to
just "platform".