Unable to register new users

jhammonds
We have been running XWIKI for a couple of weeks now, and all had been running great.  Earlier today, a new user registered for the site, having no problems.  I added him to a group to enable him to edit content on the site.  A little later, another new user attempted to register for the site, and he was unable to register.  I looked in the Tomcat logs directory and found no errors.  I also bounced the servlet and ultimately rebooted the box to see if something like that was the source of the problem.  Nothing has enabled us to register new users.

Each time we attempt to register a new user, I get the same response, "An error occured during the registration process.  Please contact the support?", and the user is not registered.  Trying to narrow down the problem, I started a separate instance of the servlet against the same MySQL database and encountered the same problem.  When I ran the servlet against a test copy of the base xwiki mysql database, the problem is not found.  This leads me to believe that the problem is within the database itself.  Again, there are no errors within the tomcat logs directory log files.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Johnnie

Re: Unable to register new users

Ludovic Dubost

Maybe somebody modified the registration page. This page should not be
modified by a non admin
Save it again using an admin.

Ludovic

[hidden email] wrote:

> We have been running XWIKI for a couple of weeks now, and all had been running great.  Earlier today, a new user registered for the site, having no problems.  I added him to a group to enable him to edit content on the site.  A little later, another new user attempted to register for the site, and he was unable to register.  I looked in the Tomcat logs directory and found no errors.  I also bounced the servlet and ultimately rebooted the box to see if something like that was the source of the problem.  Nothing has enabled us to register new users.
>
> Each time we attempt to register a new user, I get the same response, "An error occured during the registration process.  Please contact the support?", and the user is not registered.  Trying to narrow down the problem, I started a separate instance of the servlet against the same MySQL database and encountered the same problem.  When I ran the servlet against a test copy of the base xwiki mysql database, the problem is not found.  This leads me to believe that the problem is within the database itself.  Again, there are no errors within the tomcat logs directory log files.
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Johnnie

RE: Unable to register new users

jhammonds
That worked...thanks!  Can you explain to me why it worked?  Also, what is
the appropriate way to clean up (i.e. remove) unwanted users?

Thanks again,
Johnnie

[hidden email] wrote:
> We have been running XWIKI for a couple of weeks now, and all had been
running great.  Earlier today, a new user registered for the site, having no
problems.  I added him to a group to enable him to edit content on the site.
A little later, another new user attempted to register for the site, and he
was unable to register.  I looked in the Tomcat logs directory and found no
errors.  I also bounced the servlet and ultimately rebooted the box to see
if something like that was the source of the problem.  Nothing has enabled
us to register new users.

> Each time we attempt to register a new user, I get the same response, "An
error occured during the registration process.  Please contact the
support?", and the user is not registered.  Trying to narrow down the
problem, I started a separate instance of the servlet against the same MySQL
database and encountered the same problem.  When I ran the servlet against a
test copy of the base xwiki mysql database, the problem is not found.  This
leads me to believe that the problem is within the database itself.  Again,
there are no errors within the tomcat logs directory log files.

> Any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Johnnie

Re: Unable to register new users

Ludovic Dubost

Well, the "createUser" function called in this page is a priviledge
function. This should be changed to be checked upon a "register" right..
But currently this means this page cannot change author without not
working anymore.

To remove users, delete the user page using More Actions/Delete on their
page

Ludovic