Upgrade 0.9.840 version to Latest version.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Upgrade 0.9.840 version to Latest version.

Manjunath Kashyap
Hi All,

We are currently using the 0.9.840 version of Xwiki. We are planning to
upgrade the wiki to the latest version so as to include all the new
features provided by xwiki.

I searched almost everywhere for a good resource for upgrading the wiki,
but in vain.
Can someone guide me on this to accomplish this task?
This is a very significant step in expanding our business with the xwiki
team.

Thanks,
Kashyap.
_______________________________________________
users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Upgrade 0.9.840 version to Latest version.

vmassol
Administrator
Hi Kashyap,


On 7 Nov 2014 at 11:16:41, Manjunath Kashyap ([hidden email](mailto:[hidden email])) wrote:

> Hi All,
>  
> We are currently using the 0.9.840 version of Xwiki. We are planning to
> upgrade the wiki to the latest version so as to include all the new
> features provided by xwiki.

That’s a nice challenge since 0.9.840 dates back to July 2005 (i.e. 9 years ago) ;)

> I searched almost everywhere for a good resource for upgrading the wiki,
> but in vain.

I don’t know what you searched but it’s very very simple to find an upgrade doc (either in google on or on xwiki.org). I just typed “xwiki upgrade” on google and got
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Upgrade

I’ve just added a new section in that doc for you since I believe you shouldn’t go through and upgrade in your case and instead go through import/export:
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Upgrade#HAlternative:ExportandReimport

> Can someone guide me on this to accomplish this task?
> This is a very significant step in expanding our business with the xwiki
> team.

Also note that since it’s not an easy step you could ask for professional support from experts. There are some companies offering that listed here:
http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/Support#HProfessionalSupport

Thanks
-Vincent

> Thanks,
> Kashyap.

_______________________________________________
users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Upgrade 0.9.840 version to Latest version.

Manjunath Kashyap
Hi Vincent,

Thanks for the reply and all the links. Yes as you *said *the current wiki
is very very old.
These are the links which i went through for the upgrade process.
As depicted in the documentation(links), the Xwiki pages needs to be
exported into a XRAR format to re-import them into the latest version.
I would like to mention that the current version of our wiki(0.9.840) does
not support the export option for XRAR format.
Is professional help the only way to get our wiki upgraded to latest
version? (not feasible approach)
Please suggest if there are ways other than getting professional help.

Thanks,
Kashyap.

On Sun, Nov 9, 2014 at 3:00 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Kashyap,
>
>
> On 7 Nov 2014 at 11:16:41, Manjunath Kashyap ([hidden email]
> (mailto:[hidden email])) wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > We are currently using the 0.9.840 version of Xwiki. We are planning to
> > upgrade the wiki to the latest version so as to include all the new
> > features provided by xwiki.
>
> That’s a nice challenge since 0.9.840 dates back to July 2005 (i.e. 9
> years ago) ;)
>
> > I searched almost everywhere for a good resource for upgrading the wiki,
> > but in vain.
>
> I don’t know what you searched but it’s very very simple to find an
> upgrade doc (either in google on or on xwiki.org). I just typed “xwiki
> upgrade” on google and got
> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Upgrade
>
> I’ve just added a new section in that doc for you since I believe you
> shouldn’t go through and upgrade in your case and instead go through
> import/export:
>
> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Upgrade#HAlternative:ExportandReimport
>
> > Can someone guide me on this to accomplish this task?
> > This is a very significant step in expanding our business with the xwiki
> > team.
>
> Also note that since it’s not an easy step you could ask for professional
> support from experts. There are some companies offering that listed here:
> http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/Support#HProfessionalSupport
>
> Thanks
> -Vincent
>
> > Thanks,
> > Kashyap.
>
>
_______________________________________________
users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Upgrade 0.9.840 version to Latest version.

jerem
Hi,

2014-11-12 14:33 GMT+01:00 Manjunath Kashyap <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Vincent,
>
> Thanks for the reply and all the links. Yes as you *said *the current wiki
> is very very old.
> These are the links which i went through for the upgrade process.
> As depicted in the documentation(links), the Xwiki pages needs to be
> exported into a XRAR format to re-import them into the latest version.
> I would like to mention that the current version of our wiki(0.9.840) does
> not support the export option for XRAR format.
>

I think xar import/export was added in 1.0, but you should be able to
migrate from 0.9.840 to 1.0 then use xar format to reach targeted version.
See also
http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/ReleaseNotes/ReleaseNotesXWiki10 and
other release notes.



> Is professional help the only way to get our wiki upgraded to latest
> version? (not feasible approach)
> Please suggest if there are ways other than getting professional help.
>

If I may bring my own experience, I wouldn't say that it's not feasible - I
did it - but I did it over several years (well 9 in fact), usually having 1
year behind each major version stabilization.
Feasible, but really not easy, given the gap ! ;-) It could easily be quite
time consuming ...

Whatever you decide, backuping your current database is an absolute must-do
before any move ! (and checking that you can restore this backup is almost
as important)


>
> Thanks,
> Kashyap.
>
> On Sun, Nov 9, 2014 at 3:00 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Kashyap,
> >
> >
> > On 7 Nov 2014 at 11:16:41, Manjunath Kashyap (
> [hidden email]
> > (mailto:[hidden email])) wrote:
> >
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > We are currently using the 0.9.840 version of Xwiki. We are planning to
> > > upgrade the wiki to the latest version so as to include all the new
> > > features provided by xwiki.
> >
> > That’s a nice challenge since 0.9.840 dates back to July 2005 (i.e. 9
> > years ago) ;)
> >
> > > I searched almost everywhere for a good resource for upgrading the
> wiki,
> > > but in vain.
> >
> > I don’t know what you searched but it’s very very simple to find an
> > upgrade doc (either in google on or on xwiki.org). I just typed “xwiki
> > upgrade” on google and got
> > http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Upgrade
> >
> > I’ve just added a new section in that doc for you since I believe you
> > shouldn’t go through and upgrade in your case and instead go through
> > import/export:
> >
> >
> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Upgrade#HAlternative:ExportandReimport
> >
> > > Can someone guide me on this to accomplish this task?
> > > This is a very significant step in expanding our business with the
> xwiki
> > > team.
> >
> > Also note that since it’s not an easy step you could ask for professional
> > support from experts. There are some companies offering that listed here:
> > http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/Support#HProfessionalSupport
> >
> > Thanks
> > -Vincent
> >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Kashyap.
> >
> >
> _______________________________________________
> users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users
>
_______________________________________________
users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/users