Upgrade from 5.2 to 6.2

Roman Muntyanu
Hi XWiki Team,

  We're looking forward to upgrade to upcoming version 6.2 (Flamingo skin enabled by default) for our production installation (our dev team's wiki).
  There are however "Backward Compatibility and Migration Notes" each minor release that may contain important upgrade information.

  Last time when we upgraded from 3.x to 5.2 - I had to open release notes of each (including minor) release between them and carefully check if there are any additional steps to follow.
  Particular question is whether there's a simpler approach to get this list?

  More generic question (or a feature request):
    * How do I build list of "Backward Compatibility and Migration Notes" when migrating from version N.M to version X.Y?

  Regards,
Roman

Re: Upgrade from 5.2 to 6.2

On 21 Aug 2014 at 14:18:44, coldserenity ([hidden email](mailto:[hidden email])) wrote:

> Hi XWiki Team,
>
> We're looking forward to upgrade to upcoming version 6.2 (Flamingo skin
> enabled by default) for our production installation (our dev team's wiki).
> There are however "Backward Compatibility and Migration Notes" each minor
> release that may contain important upgrade information.
>
> Last time when we upgraded from 3.x to 5.2 - I had to open release notes
> of each (including minor) release between them and carefully check if there
> are any additional steps to follow.
> Particular question is whether there's a simpler approach to get this
> list?
>
> More generic question (or a feature request):
> * How do I build list of "Backward Compatibility and Migration Notes"
> when migrating from version N.M to version X.Y?

This is something I have been wanting to fix for several years but didn’t get the time to do it.

My solution was to create a Release Notes Application used on xwiki.org with xproperties for various release notes information (everything you find currently on a release notes page on http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/ReleaseNotes/:
- version
- feature
- upgrade
- language
- etc

Then a Sheet would be in charge of generating the same result as we have now.

But the nice thing is that once we have this we can also ask XWiki to automatically and dynamically generate a release notes page for all versions of XWiki between 2 dates or 2 versions :)

It also allows us to automatically create the release notes for the final version (which aggregates milestones and RCs).

Now someone just needs to write this app! Interested? :)