Upgrade to 8.4.4 Read Only have Copy Option

Upgrade to 8.4.4 Read Only have Copy Option

flood_daoc
Hi,

I have recently upgraded our xwiki from 7.4.4 to 8.4.4 and all seemed to go well,  however one thing has come up in that if a user or a group has read only access to the Wiki on 8.4.4 the cog is appearing with just the option to Copy.  I have tried to copy a page with a read only test account and it will not allow the copy which is fine however any ideas why the option is showing and is there anything I can do to get rid of it?

Regards

Re: Upgrade to 8.4.4 Read Only have Copy Option

Marius Dumitru Florea
See http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-12937 and the comments. The menu
checks only if the current user has view right on the current page because
we cannot know where the user will copy the page. The user may have edit
right on some specific place in the page hierarchy and iterating all the
page hierarchy to see if such a place exists is very costly.

Checking for real-only is super fast though so I agree we should do that:
show the copy action if the current user has view right on the current page
and the wiki is not in read-only mode.

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 9:42 PM, Stev Williams <[hidden email]>

> I have recently upgraded our xwiki from 7.4.4 to 8.4.4 and all seemed to
> go well,  however one thing has come up in that if a user or a group has
> read only access to the Wiki on 8.4.4 the cog is appearing with just the
> option to Copy.  I have tried to copy a page with a read only test account
> and it will not allow the copy which is fine however any ideas why the
> option is showing and is there anything I can do to get rid of it?
>
> Regards

Re: Upgrade to 8.4.4 Read Only have Copy Option

> On 7 Mar 2017, at 10:33, Marius Dumitru Florea <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> See http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-12937 and the comments. The menu
> checks only if the current user has view right on the current page because
> we cannot know where the user will copy the page. The user may have edit
> right on some specific place in the page hierarchy and iterating all the
> page hierarchy to see if such a place exists is very costly.

@Stev: is the behavior you’re observing different in 7.4.4 from 8.4.4?

If so it would be nice that we mention it in the release notes for 8.4.1.

@Stev: could you create a jira issue for this?

> On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 9:42 PM, Stev Williams <[hidden email]>

>> I have recently upgraded our xwiki from 7.4.4 to 8.4.4 and all seemed to
>> go well,  however one thing has come up in that if a user or a group has
>> read only access to the Wiki on 8.4.4 the cog is appearing with just the
>> option to Copy.  I have tried to copy a page with a read only test account
>> and it will not allow the copy which is fine however any ideas why the
>> option is showing and is there anything I can do to get rid of it?
>>
>> Regards

Re: Upgrade to 8.4.4 Read Only have Copy Option

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 11:33 AM, Marius Dumitru Florea <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> See http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-12937 and the comments. The menu
> checks only if the current user has view right on the current page because
> we cannot know where the user will copy the page. The user may have edit
> right on some specific place in the page hierarchy and iterating all the
> page hierarchy to see if such a place exists is very costly.
>

> Checking for real-only is super fast though so I agree we should do that:
> show the copy action if the current user has view right on the current page
> and the wiki is not in read-only mode.

I think I made a confusion. I was thinking about the wiki's read-only mode,
which bypasses access rights, and which can be used to hide the copy
action. If you're referring to users and groups that don't have edit right
at wiki level then, as I said in my first part of the reply, we can't do
much about it because rights at page level overwrite those a wiki level so
even if you deny edit right for a user at wiki level he may still have edit
right on some page deep inside the page hierarchy, thus he needs to be able
to copy a page there.

> On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 9:42 PM, Stev Williams <[hidden email]>

>> I have recently upgraded our xwiki from 7.4.4 to 8.4.4 and all seemed to
>> go well,  however one thing has come up in that if a user or a group has
>> read only access to the Wiki on 8.4.4 the cog is appearing with just the
>> option to Copy.  I have tried to copy a page with a read only test account
>> and it will not allow the copy which is fine however any ideas why the
>> option is showing and is there anything I can do to get rid of it?
>>
>> Regards

Re: Upgrade to 8.4.4 Read Only have Copy Option

flood_daoc

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me.  Just so we are clear I have just installed the "Graphical Installer for Windows" version of 8.4.4 to test to see if it is something to do with my installation.  After installing and without even logging in on any account the cog is there with the only option to copy which against thankfully won't allow you to copy.  This wasn't present on the previous versions I have used (pre 7.4.4)

[hidden email]> wrote:

> See http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-12937 and the comments. The menu

[XWIKI-12937] Impossible to copy a page if the user has no ...
jira.xwiki.org
XWiki Platform; XWIKI-12937; Impossible to copy a page if the user has no edit right at the wiki or space level

> checks only if the current user has view right on the current page because
> we cannot know where the user will copy the page. The user may have edit
> right on some specific place in the page hierarchy and iterating all the
> page hierarchy to see if such a place exists is very costly.
>

> Checking for real-only is super fast though so I agree we should do that:
> show the copy action if the current user has view right on the current page
> and the wiki is not in read-only mode.

I think I made a confusion. I was thinking about the wiki's read-only mode,
which bypasses access rights, and which can be used to hide the copy
action. If you're referring to users and groups that don't have edit right
at wiki level then, as I said in my first part of the reply, we can't do
much about it because rights at page level overwrite those a wiki level so
even if you deny edit right for a user at wiki level he may still have edit
right on some page deep inside the page hierarchy, thus he needs to be able
to copy a page there.

> On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 9:42 PM, Stev Williams <[hidden email]>

>> I have recently upgraded our xwiki from 7.4.4 to 8.4.4 and all seemed to
>> go well,  however one thing has come up in that if a user or a group has
>> read only access to the Wiki on 8.4.4 the cog is appearing with just the
>> option to Copy.  I have tried to copy a page with a read only test account
>> and it will not allow the copy which is fine however any ideas why the
>> option is showing and is there anything I can do to get rid of it?
>>
>> Regards

Re: Upgrade to 8.4.4 Read Only have Copy Option

This was not present on previous version because of the bug Marius
pointed out which is now fixed. All you need to see the option now is
view right on the current page, as Marius explained it's close to
impossible to know if you have or not edit right somewhere in the
wiki.