Upgrading xwiki

hamiazuhk26
how to copy the configuration files and do the merge copy?
What is merge copy? Directly copy paste or what..
Im stuck, please help me

Re: Upgrading xwiki

Marius Dumitru Florea
Maybe you can give as a link to the guide that you're following or whatever
is the place where you've seen these instructions, because it's not clear
what you're trying to do.

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 10:21 AM, Khu Gambateh <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> how to copy the configuration files and do the merge copy?
> What is merge copy? Directly copy paste or what..
> Im stuck, please help me

Re: Upgrading xwiki

hamiazuhk26
I am installing xwiki 8.3 version and i am using this version to import
page, create page, forum and many more. I am thinking on how to save all my
data , afraid if something happen the data will be lost. Just found this
link but it does not really help me.
upgrade

I have read some notes, and tells me to backup several files/folder but need
to do MERGE COPY INSTEAD OF PURE COPY. What is mean by merge copy? I don't
understand and don't have idea how to backup it and insert into newer
version.

Re: Upgrading xwiki

Marius Dumitru Florea
On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 11:13 AM, hamiazuhk26 <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I am installing xwiki 8.3 version and i am using this version to import
> page, create page, forum and many more.
>

> I am thinking on how to save all my
> data , afraid if something happen the data will be lost.

Then maybe you're looking for
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Backup

> Just found this
> link but it does not really help me.
> upgrade
> <http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Upgrade#
> HUpgradingthestandarddistribution>
>
> I have read some notes, and tells me to backup several files/folder but
> need
> to do MERGE COPY INSTEAD OF PURE COPY. What is mean by merge copy? I don't
> understand and don't have idea how to backup it and insert into newer
> version.
> <http://xwiki.475771.n2.nabble.com/file/n7602122/Capture.png>

Re: Upgrading xwiki

hamiazuhk26
that link u give didnt help much. I just want to know what is mean by merge copy?

wrote:

> I am installing xwiki 8.3 version and i am using this version to import
> page, create page, forum and many more.
>

> I am thinking on how to save all my
> data , afraid if something happen the data will be lost.

Then maybe you're looking for
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Backup

> Just found this
> link but it does not really help me.
> upgrade
> <http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Upgrade#
> HUpgradingthestandarddistribution>
>
> I have read some notes, and tells me to backup several files/folder but
> need
> to do MERGE COPY INSTEAD OF PURE COPY. What is mean by merge copy? I don't
> understand and don't have idea how to backup it and insert into newer
> version.
> <http://xwiki.475771.n2.nabble.com/file/n7602122/Capture.png>

http://xwiki.475771.n2.nabble.com/Upgrading-xwiki-tp7602115p7602123.html
To start a new topic under XWiki- Users, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Upgrading xwiki, click here.
NAML

Re: Upgrading xwiki

hamiazuhk26
I have go through the link so many times but it did not help me much.
My question is what is mean by merge copy?
I have try to copy the configuration files(old version) and paste in newer version but still did not work.

Re: Upgrading xwiki

> On 15 Dec 2016, at 10:29, hamiazuhk26 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have go through the link so many times but it did not help me much.
> My question is what is mean by merge copy?

It says:

Then copy the configuration files and the permanent directory from the old installation to the new one. Ideally you should not copy over the configuration files exactly since the new version could have added new configuration options and thus ideally you should do a merge instead of a pure copy. Another strategy is to use the new configuration files, not copy over the old configuration files and instead manually edit the new configuration to make the same changes as you have may done before (If you've never touched the configuration files then there's nothing to do obviously!).

What is not clear? It’s pretty clear to me: "you should not copy over the configuration files exactly since the new version could have added new configuration options”.

FYI I’ve added a way to automated a bit the merge but I fear this may confuse you even more:
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/AdminGuide/Upgrade#HUpgradingthestandarddistribution

> I have try to copy the configuration files(old version) and paste in newer
> version but still did not work.

Re: Upgrading xwiki

hamiazuhk26
Thanks Vincent for fast reply. I didn't clear this statement.

"you should not copy over the configuration files exactly since the new version could have added new configuration options”.

If i can't copy over the configuration files exactly, so how do i copy the configuration files?.
I am trying to copy the files in older version and paste it in newer version seems it is not copying and nothings change in newer version, that's confusing me.

I have import a lot of document in older version and now want to back up and insert all doc to newer version. How do i make it works? Why, after i copy the web-INF files and paste it in new version, nothings change..

Please advice.

Re: Upgrading xwiki

Cuong Hoang
Hmm.. if you ask what it's meant by merge than I guess you probably are not
in software development or system administration, in which case I suggest
you contact your system administrator or an experienced software developer,
they can help you do the installation/upgrading. Regards.

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 4:56 PM hamiazuhk26 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Vincent for fast reply. I didn't clear this statement.
>
> "you should not copy over the configuration files exactly since the new
> version could have added new configuration options”.
>
> If i can't copy over the configuration files exactly, so how do i copy the
> configuration files?.
> I am trying to copy the files in older version and paste it in newer
> version
> seems it is not copying and nothings change in newer version, that's
> confusing me.
>
> I have import a lot of document in older version and now want to back up
> and
> insert all doc to newer version. How do i make it works? Why, after i copy
> the web-INF files and paste it in new version, nothings change..
>
> Please advice.

Re: Upgrading xwiki

mahomed
You should probably do a full-backup as per the backup instructions and then let the upgrade wizard handle the conversion/transfer for you. If you are installing a new instance of XWiki and want to restore the old files/documents, then you need to say that so people can help you.

As for "what is merge copy", Vincent's response was very clear. If you don't understand what "merge" means, then this link will help - https://lmgtfy.com/?q=define%3A+merge

Basically it means to combine the old configuration files and new configuration files. You do this "manually" by comparing the differences between the old and the new files and ending up with a new configuration that has your custom changes from the old file (where relevant) plus the new settings from the new file. In most cases though if you are doing an in-place upgrade, the wizard does this for you (or at least makes it easier).

That being said, I agree with Cuong Hoang, you probably need to get someone with a bit more knowledge to do this for you.

Kind regards,

Mahomed Hussein
Custodian Data Centre
Email: [hidden email]
http://www.CustodianDC.com

Re: Upgrading xwiki

hamiazuhk26
Thanks for a clear explanation.
Hi, Mohamed. I am too confusing to store, backup files in older version.
The sequence of my problem is like this.
- I am installing xwiki 8.3 version and has import a lot of document, forum and many more. I want to save my file(backup) so that it easier for me to migrate it in new version. I had read some notes and it tells me to copy several file in WEB-INF.
- I try to copy those files in old version and paste it in new version in the same location WEB-INF but unfortunately, it did not work and after i open the new version nothings happen.
-Can i reconfirm with u with several things:
* Where is the location of all files, folder that we importing the document in xwiki? Is it here
C:\Program Files\XWiki Enterprise 8.3\webapps\xwiki\WEB-INF

Help me