[Usability] Feedback from session with new user

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Usability] Feedback from session with new user

vmassol
Administrator
Hi devs,

Over the weekend I had some friends at my house and I asked one of them to try a few simple tasks in XWiki.

1) I asked him to modify the home page to put his own content.

He couldn’t find how to edit the home page...

* I ran the Tour wizard and he read everything and finished it and still could’t find how to edit
* He even read the content of the home page and noticed the line that says to use the pencil icon above to edit the page. He tried to click the pencil icon but couldn’t find or realize that there was a button to click above.
* In the end I had to explain to him that page action bar.

Idea/suggestion: At the end of the tour or outside the tour, when the first user views the home page, have a flashing arrow with a text “click here to edit this page” to direct the user to edit the page.

Note that he mentioned having some text before the icons to say that this was a Menu… I found it a bit strange. When he saw the XWiki admin UI, he said that the vertical menu was much simpler to understand and that it would be nicer to use that for the page actions. I explained that it would take too much space and he understood that.

2) I asked him to create a new page. It took him some time to understand he had to enter a title but he did it. He clicked the “empty page” template, thinking that it would create the page. He even double-clicked  it. After some hints from my side, he was able to locate the “create” button.

Idea/suggestion: the create button is not easy to locate, it’s quite more down from the rest. Note that we’re also missing a cancel button if want to go back and not create a page.

3) I asked him to delete the page after he edited it and even created a new page but he didn’t realize the action would in the same action bar. The reason is that the icon for the actions is a “settings”/“cog” icon and he thought that there would be admin stuff under it.

Idea/Suggestion: Change the icon to something else.

4) I asked him to create pages under other pages and he was able to do that fine.

5) He wanted the wiki in French and we noticed quite a few places that were missing translations:
- the new step in the AWM wizard
- the create page validation message
- color theme admin UI

(there were a few others but I forgot them)

Note: When adding an image in CKEditor and when in French, the tab for uploading is translated as “Téléverser” which is quite awkward in French IMO… ;)

6) He was able to use the navigation panel to navigate

Food for thoughts and actions…

Thanks
-Vincent


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Usability] Feedback from session with new user

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 11:33 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> Over the weekend I had some friends at my house and I asked one of them to
> try a few simple tasks in XWiki.
>
> 1) I asked him to modify the home page to put his own content.
>
> He couldn’t find how to edit the home page...
>
> * I ran the Tour wizard and he read everything and finished it and still
> could’t find how to edit
> * He even read the content of the home page and noticed the line that says
> to use the pencil icon above to edit the page. He tried to click the pencil
> icon but couldn’t find or realize that there was a button to click above.
> * In the end I had to explain to him that page action bar.
>
> Idea/suggestion: At the end of the tour or outside the tour, when the
> first user views the home page, have a flashing arrow with a text “click
> here to edit this page” to direct the user to edit the page.
>

Or until we make the interactive tours, showcase the edit buttons in the
first steps of the tour (in case users don't go until the end).


>
> Note that he mentioned having some text before the icons to say that this
> was a Menu… I found it a bit strange. When he saw the XWiki admin UI, he
> said that the vertical menu was much simpler to understand and that it
> would be nicer to use that for the page actions. I explained that it would
> take too much space and he understood that.
>

I'm glad that he liked the vertical menu.


>
> 2) I asked him to create a new page. It took him some time to understand
> he had to enter a title but he did it. He clicked the “empty page”
> template, thinking that it would create the page. He even double-clicked
> it. After some hints from my side, he was able to locate the “create”
> button.
>
> Idea/suggestion: the create button is not easy to locate, it’s quite more
> down from the rest. Note that we’re also missing a cancel button if want to
> go back and not create a page.
>

If we were to break down the 2 columns display it will go even lower, but
on the other hand it will be a vertical form and users will have just 1
direction of flow.


>
> 3) I asked him to delete the page after he edited it and even created a
> new page but he didn’t realize the action would in the same action bar. The
> reason is that the icon for the actions is a “settings”/“cog” icon and he
> thought that there would be admin stuff under it.
>
> Idea/Suggestion: Change the icon to something else.
>

http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/IdeaLabeledActions/moreActions.png


>
> 4) I asked him to create pages under other pages and he was able to do
> that fine.
>
> 5) He wanted the wiki in French and we noticed quite a few places that
> were missing translations:
> - the new step in the AWM wizard
> - the create page validation message
> - color theme admin UI
>
> (there were a few others but I forgot them)
>
> Note: When adding an image in CKEditor and when in French, the tab for
> uploading is translated as “Téléverser” which is quite awkward in French
> IMO… ;)
>

Not sure we can control translations coming from CKEditor.


>
> 6) He was able to use the navigation panel to navigate
>
> Food for thoughts and actions…
>
>
Thanks for the summary mail. Very interesting.
Caty


> Thanks
> -Vincent
>
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Usability] Feedback from session with new user

Marius Dumitru Florea
On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 6:47 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 11:33 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > Over the weekend I had some friends at my house and I asked one of them
> to
> > try a few simple tasks in XWiki.
> >
> > 1) I asked him to modify the home page to put his own content.
> >
> > He couldn’t find how to edit the home page...
> >
> > * I ran the Tour wizard and he read everything and finished it and still
> > could’t find how to edit
> > * He even read the content of the home page and noticed the line that
> says
> > to use the pencil icon above to edit the page. He tried to click the
> pencil
> > icon but couldn’t find or realize that there was a button to click above.
> > * In the end I had to explain to him that page action bar.
> >
> > Idea/suggestion: At the end of the tour or outside the tour, when the
> > first user views the home page, have a flashing arrow with a text “click
> > here to edit this page” to direct the user to edit the page.
> >
>
> Or until we make the interactive tours, showcase the edit buttons in the
> first steps of the tour (in case users don't go until the end).
>
>
> >
> > Note that he mentioned having some text before the icons to say that this
> > was a Menu… I found it a bit strange. When he saw the XWiki admin UI, he
> > said that the vertical menu was much simpler to understand and that it
> > would be nicer to use that for the page actions. I explained that it
> would
> > take too much space and he understood that.
> >
>
> I'm glad that he liked the vertical menu.
>
>
> >
> > 2) I asked him to create a new page. It took him some time to understand
> > he had to enter a title but he did it. He clicked the “empty page”
> > template, thinking that it would create the page. He even double-clicked
> > it. After some hints from my side, he was able to locate the “create”
> > button.
> >
> > Idea/suggestion: the create button is not easy to locate, it’s quite more
> > down from the rest. Note that we’re also missing a cancel button if want
> to
> > go back and not create a page.
> >
>
> If we were to break down the 2 columns display it will go even lower, but
> on the other hand it will be a vertical form and users will have just 1
> direction of flow.
>
>
> >
> > 3) I asked him to delete the page after he edited it and even created a
> > new page but he didn’t realize the action would in the same action bar.
> The
> > reason is that the icon for the actions is a “settings”/“cog” icon and he
> > thought that there would be admin stuff under it.
> >
> > Idea/Suggestion: Change the icon to something else.
> >
>
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Proposal/IdeaLabeledActions/
> moreActions.png
>
>
> >
> > 4) I asked him to create pages under other pages and he was able to do
> > that fine.
> >
> > 5) He wanted the wiki in French and we noticed quite a few places that
> > were missing translations:
> > - the new step in the AWM wizard
> > - the create page validation message
> > - color theme admin UI
> >
> > (there were a few others but I forgot them)
> >
> > Note: When adding an image in CKEditor and when in French, the tab for
> > uploading is translated as “Téléverser” which is quite awkward in French
> > IMO… ;)
> >
>
>

> Not sure we can control translations coming from CKEditor.
>

It needs to be fixed on https://www.transifex.com/ckeditor/ckeditor/ .


>
>
> >
> > 6) He was able to use the navigation panel to navigate
> >
> > Food for thoughts and actions…
> >
> >
> Thanks for the summary mail. Very interesting.
> Caty
>
>
> > Thanks
> > -Vincent
> >
> >
> >
>
Loading...