[Usability] Office Server configuration values

[Usability] Office Server configuration values

We have users that complain that configuring and starting the Office Server
is very hard/technical.

This is mostly because the configuration is done in xwiki.properties, plus
some bugs, plus the missing documentation link towards the Office Server
operating system values.

I've made 2 proposals on
http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/IdeaOfficeServer

The first one just makes some rearranging, adds a documentation link and
propose we fix some bugs by adding support to newer versions of Office (in
order for the auto-detect to function properly).
The other proposal also transforms the configuration from read-only values,
to inputs that can be changed from Administration.

Let me know what you think,

Re: [Usability] Office Server configuration values

We also discussed on some chat that we should modify our fork and instead use/merge the fork from. Maybe Thomas remembers which fork it was?

> On 9 Mar 2018, at 17:09, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi devs,
>
> We have users that complain that configuring and starting the Office Server
> is very hard/technical.
>
> This is mostly because the configuration is done in xwiki.properties, plus
> some bugs, plus the missing documentation link towards the Office Server
> operating system values.
>
> I've made 2 proposals on
> http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/IdeaOfficeServer
>
> The first one just makes some rearranging, adds a documentation link and
> propose we fix some bugs by adding support to newer versions of Office (in
> order for the auto-detect to function properly).
> The other proposal also transforms the configuration from read-only values,
> to inputs that can be changed from Administration.
>
> Let me know what you think,
> Caty

Re: [Usability] Office Server configuration values

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
The related issue is http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-15031

On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 6:14 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We also discussed on some chat that we should modify our fork and instead
> use/merge the fork from. Maybe Thomas remembers which fork it was?

> > On 9 Mar 2018, at 17:09, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > We have users that complain that configuring and starting the Office
> Server
> > is very hard/technical.
> >
> > This is mostly because the configuration is done in xwiki.properties,
> plus
> > some bugs, plus the missing documentation link towards the Office Server
> > operating system values.
> >
> > I've made 2 proposals on
> > http://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/IdeaOfficeServer
> >
> > The first one just makes some rearranging, adds a documentation link and
> > propose we fix some bugs by adding support to newer versions of Office
> (in
> > order for the auto-detect to function properly).
> > The other proposal also transforms the configuration from read-only
> values,
> > to inputs that can be changed from Administration.
> >
> > Let me know what you think,
> > Caty

Re: [Usability] Office Server configuration values

Yes the first thing to do IMO to improve office module is
http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-15031.