Use page as parent instead of space

BrianJones
Quick question regarding the 'parent' feature.  I'd like to be able to use pages within a space as parents for other pages in that space, to provide a more complete breadcrumbs trail for the user to see.

As of now, whenever I create a new page, it is created under the the current space being viewed.  I have no problem with this, but I need to be able to provide a more substaintial hierarchy within a space.

So, instead of something like this:

Space
   -> Page 1
   -> Page 2
   -> Page 3
   -> Page 4

Could I arrange something like this:

Space
   -> Page 1
         -> Page 3
         -> Page 4
   -> Page 2
         -> Page 5
               -> Page 6

Is this functionality possible, and if so, how do I change the parent of an already existing page to use a different page as it's parent (instead of the space it resides in)?  So many questions, so little time...
Thanks again all you fellow XWiki users and Developers, your help is appreciated.

Re: Use page as parent instead of space

Sergiu Dumitriu-2
BrianJones wrote:

> Quick question regarding the 'parent' feature.  I'd like to be able to use
> pages within a space as parents for other pages in that space, to provide a
> more complete breadcrumbs trail for the user to see.
>
> As of now, whenever I create a new page, it is created under the the current
> space being viewed.  I have no problem with this, but I need to be able to
> provide a more substaintial hierarchy within a space.
>
> So, instead of something like this:
>
> Space
>    -> Page 1
>    -> Page 2
>    -> Page 3
>    -> Page 4
>
> Could I arrange something like this:
>
> Space
>    -> Page 1
>          -> Page 3
>          -> Page 4
>    -> Page 2
>          -> Page 5
>                -> Page 6
>
> Is this functionality possible, and if so, how do I change the parent of an
> already existing page to use a different page as it's parent (instead of the
> space it resides in)?  So many questions, so little time...
> Thanks again all you fellow XWiki users and Developers, your help is
> appreciated.

Sure it's possible. When editing the document (wiki or wysiwyg, but not
inline), in the Document Information panel there's a Parent field. Just
enter the name of the parent, like Space.Page1

http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Re: Use page as parent instead of space

BrianJones
Sergiu,

Not sure how I missed this before.... Feeling slightly sheepish!
Many thanks!

Sergiu Dumitriu-2 wrote