Use the new Mail Sender API for the Share Page By Mail feature

Use the new Mail Sender API for the Share Page By Mail feature

Gabriel Raileanu
Hello everyone!

Currently, I'm working on moving to the new Mail Sender API for share page
by mail, which is related in XWiki-11786
<https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-11786>. After having some discussions
with Vincent, we decided to include the possibility of sending the email to
groups, related in XWiki-12112 <https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-12112>.

Even if everything looks good for now, a problem just appeared when trying
to access the recipient name (it's used in the email body, for addressing
the recipient (*Hello ${recipientName}*).
It seems like the new API it's not providing other information than the
email address, which was confirmed by XWiki-12207
<https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-12207>.

For now, I worked here
<https://github.com/arcilli/xwiki-platform/tree/XWIKI-12112> with some code
from Vincent's commits
<https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/tree/feature-sharepage-group>.

Also, after a few discussions with Marius, we concluded that for having the
name of the recipient in the message, the code needs some refactoring,
which can take a considerable amount of time. Another solution is to
exclude the *recipientName *from the body of the message and keep only *Hello
*(which would be a regression). This will be a shorter solution, but with
the benefit of having the possibility to send emails to groups.
What's your opinion on this?

Thanks a lot!

Have a nice day!
--
<http://www.xwiki.com/> *Gabriel R─âileanu*
*Software Developer Engineer Intern*

Re: Use the new Mail Sender API for the Share Page By Mail feature

Marius Dumitru Florea
Hi Gabriel,

On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 2:07 PM Gabriel Raileanu <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>
> Currently, I'm working on moving to the new Mail Sender API for share page
> by mail, which is related in XWiki-11786
> <https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-11786>. After having some discussions
> with Vincent, we decided to include the possibility of sending the email to
> groups, related in XWiki-12112 <https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-12112
> >.
>
> Even if everything looks good for now, a problem just appeared when trying
> to access the recipient name (it's used in the email body, for addressing
> the recipient (*Hello ${recipientName}*).
> It seems like the new API it's not providing other information than the
> email address, which was confirmed by XWiki-12207
> <https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-12207>.
>
> For now, I worked here
> <https://github.com/arcilli/xwiki-platform/tree/XWIKI-12112> with some
> code
> from Vincent's commits
> <https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/tree/feature-sharepage-group>.
>
> Also, after a few discussions with Marius, we concluded that for having the
> name of the recipient in the message, the code needs some refactoring,
> which can take a considerable amount of time.

> Another solution is to
> exclude the *recipientName *from the body of the message and keep only
> *Hello
> *(which would be a regression). This will be a shorter solution, but with
> the benefit of having the possibility to send emails to groups.
> What's your opinion on this?

I'm hesitating. In any case, I wouldn't remove ${recipientName} from the
mail template. I would use Velocity's silent notation and add a FIXME
comment to explain that the recipient name is not available until we fix
XWiki-12207. Plus add a comment on XWiki-12207 to remember to fix the Share
Page by email template when we close it.

There's also the small issue that the Mail Sender API expects separate
lists with users, groups and mail addresses, while on the UI we currently
have a single input and I would keep it that way, i.e. a single input that
suggests users and groups and that allows you to enter free text (mail
addresses). So we would need to split the submitted list into users, groups
and mail addresses. Not complex but something to keep in mind.