User names may not contain periods

mctoz
Why does this restriction exist?  It makes it difficult to map through
to LDAP if we can't map to AD/LDAP username field that contain periods,
such as format of "firstname.lastname" which is quite common. Also, it
is possible to authenticate to xwiki using email address and password
rather than user id and password?

MT

Re: User names may not contain periods

Sergiu Dumitriu-2
For legacy reasons. A long time ago, having dots in document names was
not really working, since a dot separates the document's space and name.
Plus the fact that users are just documents in the wiki.

This restriction is no longer relevant, except that there's a lot of
code that needs to be revisited to remove this restriction.

http://purl.org/net/sergiu

Re: User names may not contain periods

mctoz
I thought that may have been the case...surely there can't be that many
places in the code where the user id text is validated? (And if there is
a period then can it not be held internally in escaped syntax?)

In any case, how do we address the consequential issues of this
constraint on things like ldap as per the rest of my msg?

On 12/05/2014 11:22 AM, Sergiu Dumitriu wrote:

> For legacy reasons. A long time ago, having dots in document names was
> not really working, since a dot separates the document's space and name.
> Plus the fact that users are just documents in the wiki.
>
> This restriction is no longer relevant, except that there's a lot of
> code that needs to be revisited to remove this restriction.

>> Why does this restriction exist?  It makes it difficult to map through
>> to LDAP if we can't map to AD/LDAP username field that contain periods,
>> such as format of "firstname.lastname" which is quite common. Also, it
>> is possible to authenticate to xwiki using email address and password
>> rather than user id and password?

Re: User names may not contain periods

The LDAP authenticator remember the real LDAP uid in a special object
(1) stored in the user profile and use a "clean" (2) one for the XWiki
user id.

1: https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/blob/master/xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-ldap/xwiki-platform-ldap-authenticator/src/main/java/com/xpn/xwiki/user/impl/LDAP/LDAPProfileXClass.java
2: https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/blob/master/xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-ldap/xwiki-platform-ldap-authenticator/src/main/java/com/xpn/xwiki/user/impl/LDAP/XWikiLDAPAuthServiceImpl.java#L154