Using one Class and Template for creating documents in more than one space...

Using one Class and Template for creating documents in more than one space...

KevinC
Hi again,

If I create a class similar to the one in the FAQ tutorial but add one or more new properties to define a space and category could I use this class and associated design sheet and template to create FAQ documents for more than one space?

Is it possible to programatically determine what space a document should be created in when it is saved?

Are there any simple examples of how something like this would be done? I've gone through just about every piece of documentation but the development process is still unclear.

Thanks!
.:. Kevin

Re: Using one Class and Template for creating documents in more than one space...

Jean Couteau
Hi, i am quite new to XWiki, but i hope i can help.
> If I create a class similar to the one in the FAQ tutorial but add one or
> more new properties to define a space and category could I use this class
> and associated design sheet and template to create FAQ documents for more
> than one space?

I used this form to create blog entries from Main.WebHome :

Add a news : <form action="" id="newdoc" method="post">
<input type="hidden" name="parent" value="Blog.WebHome" />
<input type="hidden" name="template" value="XWiki.ArticleClassTemplate" />
<input type="hidden" name="sheet" value="1" />
<input type="hidden" name="webname" value="Blog"/>
<input type="hidden" name="name" value=""/>
<input type="text" name="title" value="news name" size="18"/>
<input type="button" value="Add" onclick='if
(updateName(this.form.title,this.form.name)) { action="../../inline/" +
this.form.webname.value + "/" + this.form.name.value;
this.form.submit(); }' />
</form>

if you change the webname value you should be able to create entries in
other spaces using the ArticleClassTemplate. If you replace the
XWiki.ArticleClassTemplate with your template, I guess you should create
an entry of your template in the said space.
> Is it possible to programatically determine what space a document should be
> created in when it is saved?

I think this is not possible, but maybe you can create the link with
conditions so that it creates the page following the link.
> Are there any simple examples of how something like this would be done? I've
> gone through just about every piece of documentation but the development
> process is still unclear.

Write velocity script to determine your $space and $page variables,

write a [link>$space.$page] and this should work.

I am not sure about what i am writing but I would investigate this way.

Hope this helps

Jean

--
----
Jean Couteau

Re: Using one Class and Template for creating documents in more than one space...

KevinC
OK, that makes sense.. In fact I think I saw something similar in the ToDo tutorial, I should have remembered that. Do you know how I would go about querying for the 5 most recently created documents of a given type within a space?

What I'm trying to accomplish is something like:

FAQs

Space 1
 * Doc 1
 * Doc 2
 * Doc 3
 * Doc 4
 * Doc 5

Space 2
 * Doc 1
 * Doc 2
 * Doc 3
 * Doc 4
 * Doc 5

and so on...

I know you can query for docs of a specific type but what about narrowing the search to a space?

Thanks!
.:. Kevin

Re: Using one Class and Template for creating documents in more than one space...

Jean Couteau
I would have a look to this sql request.

#set ($sql = ", BaseObject as obj where obj.name=doc.fullName and
obj.className='${doc.space}.${class}Class' and
obj.name<>'${doc.space}.${class}ClassTemplate' and obj.space='Space 1')

I am not sure as i do not have the same configuration, but i think it
should be quite close, or maybe with obj.spaceName='Space 1'

I am quite interested in your results cause i might implement something
similar in the future.

Hope this helps.

--
----
Jean Couteau
Code Lutin - http://www.codelutin.com
44 Bd des Pas Enchantés - 44230 St-Sébastien/Loire
Tél : 02 40 50 29 28 - Fax : 09 59 92 29 28

serious xEclipse problems 1.2-rc-1

Peter Verhas
I have installed the xwiki-eclipse-rcp-win32-win32-x86-1.2-rc-1.zip
simply copiing the content of the ZIP file into a directory and I
started xEclipse.

I created a new connection to
http://localhost:8080/xwiki/xmlrpc/confluence with username Admin and
the password respectively.

After starting it gives a warning:
A conflict occurred for CTRL+P:Binding(CTRL+P,
ParameterizedCommand(Command(org.eclipse.ui.file.print,Print,
Print,
but this seems to be fairly harmless.

When I tried to edit an object and to alter a "select list" value it
only listed the current value and did not display the possible values.
When I pressed 'Add' and then 'Cancel' on the pop-up window it gave
another error:

java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.String cannot be cast to
java.util.List
at
org.xwiki.eclipse.ui.editors.propertyeditors.ListPropertyEditor$2.widgetSelected(Unknown
Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(TypedListener.java:228)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1003)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3823)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3422)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:2382)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2346)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$4(Workbench.java:2198)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$5.run(Workbench.java:493)
at
org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:288)
at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:488)
at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
at org.xwiki.eclipse.rcp.Application.start(Unknown Source)
at
org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:193)
at
org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
at
org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
at
org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:386)
at
org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:179)
at
at
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:549)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:504)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1236)

This is harmless, but this also happens when I try to add a value. This
time it is not that harmless, because it prevents me to add a new value
to the object. The format of the fields is nice and neat, but it has
nothing to do with the ordering that I defined in the class the object
belongs to.

Then I double-click on a page to open it in wiki editing mode. It opens
fine. Then I double click on the page again and I get the error:

Problems occurred when invoking code from plug-in: "org.eclipse.jface".

com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.StreamException:  : Invalid byte 2 of 3-byte
UTF-8 sequence.
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.xml.DomDriver.createReader(DomDriver.java:88)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.xml.DomDriver.createReader(DomDriver.java:70)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.XStream.fromXML(XStream.java:869)
at org.xwiki.eclipse.core.utils.CoreUtils.readDataFromXML(Unknown Source)
at org.xwiki.eclipse.core.storage.LocalXWikiDataStorage.getPage(Unknown
Source)
at org.xwiki.eclipse.core.DataManager.getPage(Unknown Source)
at org.xwiki.eclipse.ui.actions.OpenXWikiModelObjectAction.run(Unknown
Source)
at org.eclipse.ui.actions.RetargetAction.run(RetargetAction.java:221)
at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.navigator.CommonNavigatorManager$3.open(CommonNavigatorManager.java:184)
at
org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer$2.run(StructuredViewer.java:820)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:37)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.Platform.run(Platform.java:880)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.JFaceUtil$1.run(JFaceUtil.java:48)
at org.eclipse.jface.util.SafeRunnable.run(SafeRunnable.java:175)
at
org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer.fireOpen(StructuredViewer.java:818)
at
org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer.handleOpen(StructuredViewer.java:1079)
at org.eclipse.ui.navigator.CommonViewer.handleOpen(CommonViewer.java:372)
at
org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer$6.handleOpen(StructuredViewer.java:1183)
at org.eclipse.jface.util.OpenStrategy.fireOpenEvent(OpenStrategy.java:263)
at org.eclipse.jface.util.OpenStrategy.access$2(OpenStrategy.java:257)
at org.eclipse.jface.util.OpenStrategy$1.handleEvent(OpenStrategy.java:297)
[...]
Caused by:
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.io.MalformedByteSequenceException:
Invalid byte 2 of 3-byte UTF-8 sequence.
at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.io.UTF8Reader.invalidByte(UTF8Reader.java:674)
at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.io.UTF8Reader.read(UTF8Reader.java:398)
at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLEntityScanner.load(XMLEntityScanner.java:1742)
at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLEntityScanner.skipChar(XMLEntityScanner.java:1416)
at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDriver.next(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:2784)
at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl.next(XMLDocumentScannerImpl.java:648)
at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:510)
at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.java:807)
at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.java:737)
at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:107)
at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.DOMParser.parse(DOMParser.java:225)
at
com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.DocumentBuilderImpl.parse(DocumentBuilderImpl.java:283)
at com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.xml.DomDriver.createReader(DomDriver.java:79)
... 44 more

It seems to be harmless, but I can not open the page again even if it
was closed. I restart xeclipse and still: I can not open the page! This
renders xeclipse UNUSABLE.

Then I exit xeclipse and I go into the file system on my Windows XP and
I delete the XEP file that seems to be the local copy of the page. First
xEclipse tells me that there is some communication problem, and closes
the connection. I reconnect and now I can open the page.

Next time I try to connect to our external installation. This time the
url is: https://myserver//xwiki/xmlrpc/confluence

It opens fine and when I click on the '+' in front of the connection it
shows the spaces. When I try to open a space it gives me an error:

An internal error occurred during: "Fetching children of Main".
org.eclipse.swt.SWTException: Invalid thread access
at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:3777)
at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:3695)
at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:3666)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.error(Display.java:1180)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.checkDevice(Display.java:703)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.getActiveShell(Display.java:1349)
at
org.xwiki.eclipse.ui.adapters.XWikiEclipseSpaceSummaryAdapter.getChildren(Unknown
Source)
at
org.xwiki.eclipse.ui.adapters.XWikiEclipseSpaceSummaryAdapter.fetchDeferredChildren(Unknown
Source)
at
org.eclipse.ui.progress.DeferredTreeContentManager$1.run(DeferredTreeContentManager.java:234)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)

Re: Using one Class and Template for creating documents in more than one space...

KevinC
Jean,

Perfect! Had to make a couple little modifications but that was pretty spot on.. Here's what I ended up with:

#set($hql = ", BaseObject as obj where obj.name=doc.fullName and obj.name<>'${doc.space}.${class}ClassTemplate' and doc.space='MySpace'")

Thanks again!

.:. Kevin

Re: serious xEclipse problems 1.2-rc-1

KevinC
You might want to start your own thread for this so people who might be more familiar with your issue can respond. I've never tried to use XEclipse as a plugin because I don't have Eclipse Ganymede installed.

Sorry for no help!

Re: serious xEclipse problems 1.2-rc-1

Peter Verhas
I believe I sent this mail to the users list. Didn't I?

Btw: You need not install Eclipse Ganymede. Just download the ZIP file,
extract it to a directory and start xeclipse.exe It is a clean and nice
piece of software that does not make nasty traces of itself into files,
registry or anywhere else.

This is true for Windows XP as I tried, but I believe has to be true for
unices as well.

Neverthelsess there are a lot of problems in this rc1 version.

Peter

Kevin_C wrote:
> You might want to start your own thread for this so people who might be more
> familiar with your issue can respond. I've never tried to use XEclipse as a
> plugin because I don't have Eclipse Ganymede installed.
>
> Sorry for no help!

Re: serious xEclipse problems 1.2-rc-1

KevinC
Well, it went to the users list but it's showing up under a thread I started in the forum view. Maybe it's just messed up.

In order to use XEclipse as a plugin you have to have the Ganymede version of Eclipse. The way you are running it you aren't actually running it as a plugin. To run it as a plugin you unzip it to the plugins folder and then open Eclipse, and you should have a new Perspective for XEclipse. By running xeclipse.exe you are just running XEclipse in stand alone mode.

.:. Kevin

Jean Couteau wrote:
> I would have a look to this sql request.
>
> #set ($sql = ", BaseObject as obj where obj.name=doc.fullName and
> obj.className='${doc.space}.${class}Class' and
> obj.name<>'${doc.space}.${class}ClassTemplate' and obj.space='Space 1')
>
> I am not sure as i do not have the same configuration, but i think it
> should be quite close, or maybe with obj.spaceName='Space 1'

To better understand these queries, you should look at the hibernate
mapping files and the HQL documentation.

http://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/platform/core/trunk/xwiki-core/src/main/resources/xwiki.hbm.xml

http://www.hibernate.org/hib_docs/reference/en/html/queryhql.html

We're lacking documentation on this, and queries using HQL are pretty
much developer oriented. We're working on alternative querying models
which are already available, but not ready for general use yet.

> I am quite interested in your results cause i might implement something
> similar in the future.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Kevin_C a écrit :
>> OK, that makes sense.. In fact I think I saw something similar in the ToDo
>> tutorial, I should have remembered that. Do you know how I would go about
>> querying for the 5 most recently created documents of a given type within a
>> space?
>>
>> What I'm trying to accomplish is something like:
>>
>> FAQs
>>
>> Space 1
>>  * Doc 1
>>  * Doc 2
>>  * Doc 3
>>  * Doc 4
>>  * Doc 5
>>
>> Space 2
>>  * Doc 1
>>  * Doc 2
>>  * Doc 3
>>  * Doc 4
>>  * Doc 5
>>
>> and so on...
>>
>> I know you can query for docs of a specific type but what about narrowing
>> the search to a space?
>>

>> Thanks!
>> .:. Kevin

http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Re: serious xEclipse problems 1.2-rc-1

Fabio Mancinelli-4
Verhás Péter wrote:

Hi Peter,

first of all thank you for your feedback.

> After starting it gives a warning:
> A conflict occurred for CTRL+P:Binding(CTRL+P,
> ParameterizedCommand(Command(org.eclipse.ui.file.print,Print,
> Print,
> but this seems to be fairly harmless.

This is strange since the command is bound to M1+CTRL+P. Anyway I'll
check it.

> When I tried to edit an object and to alter a "select list" value it
> only listed the current value and did not display the possible values.
> When I pressed 'Add' and then 'Cancel' on the pop-up window it gave
> another error:
>
> java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.String cannot be cast to
> java.util.List
> at
> org.xwiki.eclipse.ui.editors.propertyeditors.ListPropertyEditor$2.widgetSelected(Unknown
> Source)

This is bad actually. What was the class of the object you were trying
to edit and the type of the field?

> This is harmless, but this also happens when I try to add a value. This
> time it is not that harmless, because it prevents me to add a new value
> to the object. The format of the fields is nice and neat, but it has
> nothing to do with the ordering that I defined in the class the object
> belongs to.

Ok will fix this.

> Then I double-click on a page to open it in wiki editing mode. It opens
> fine. Then I double click on the page again and I get the error:
>
> Problems occurred when invoking code from plug-in: "org.eclipse.jface".
>
> com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.StreamException:  : Invalid byte 2 of 3-byte
> UTF-8 sequence.
> at com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.xml.DomDriver.createReader(DomDriver.java:88)
> at com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.xml.DomDriver.createReader(DomDriver.java:70)
> at com.thoughtworks.xstream.XStream.fromXML(XStream.java:869)
> at org.xwiki.eclipse.core.utils.CoreUtils.readDataFromXML(Unknown Source)
> at org.xwiki.eclipse.core.storage.LocalXWikiDataStorage.getPage(Unknown
> Source)
> at org.xwiki.eclipse.core.DataManager.getPage(Unknown Source)

This looks like some kind of encoding problem that XStream is not able
to handle. It's strange because I delegate XStream all the
serialization/deserialization work so I don't want that this is due to
an XStream bug. Could you please send me the page that creates the issue?

> Next time I try to connect to our external installation. This time the
> url is: https://myserver//xwiki/xmlrpc/confluence
>
> It opens fine and when I click on the '+' in front of the connection it
> shows the spaces. When I try to open a space it gives me an error:
>
> An internal error occurred during: "Fetching children of Main".
> org.eclipse.swt.SWTException: Invalid thread access
> at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:3777)
> at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:3695)
> at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:3666)
> at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.error(Display.java:1180)
> at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.checkDevice(Display.java:703)
> at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.getActiveShell(Display.java:1349)
> at
> org.xwiki.eclipse.ui.adapters.XWikiEclipseSpaceSummaryAdapter.getChildren(Unknown
> Source)
> at
> org.xwiki.eclipse.ui.adapters.XWikiEclipseSpaceSummaryAdapter.fetchDeferredChildren(Unknown
> Source)
> at
> org.eclipse.ui.progress.DeferredTreeContentManager$1.run(DeferredTreeContentManager.java:234)
> at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)

This is hard :(
It looks like the interaction between the DeferredTreeContentManager and
the Viewer has some issues. But this is an eclipse provided class... It
will take some time to investigate this because AFAIU it's not easily
reproducible as well.

Thank you for your feedback. I will try to address these problems asap.

-Fabio

Re: Using one Class and Template for creating documents in more than one space...

KevinC
Well, in order to create any kind of customizations for xwiki you have to understand how this works because everything is stored in the DB.. I'm a developer but I've only worked with Hibernate a very little bit, I'm looking forward to either some more detailed documentation on how to access various common bits of information via HQL or an alternative method to query for that information.

Thanks for your reply!
.:. Kevin