Using xwiki in multilingual mode problem

Using xwiki in multilingual mode problem

Eugen Colesnicov
Hello,

I have a problem using XWiki in multilingual mode. Fresh XWiki (8.2.1). In Administration, Localization, I configured as described:
MULTILINGUAL=Yes
SUPPORTED LANGUAGES=fr,en
DEFAULT LANGUAGE=fr
And I saved.
But no any visual changes ... In menu (right-upper corner) appeared submenu Languages but only English presents in this submenu, no French.
If I put MULTILINGUAL=No and changed DEFAULT LANGUAGE=fr - screen language immediately changed after I pressed Save, but I cannot change language in menu (right-upper corner).
I made all as described at Internationalization

Whats the problem?

Re: Using xwiki in multilingual mode problem

Hi Eugen,

> On 02 Sep 2016, at 10:29, Eugen Colesnicov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I have a problem using XWiki in multilingual mode. Fresh XWiki (8.2.1). In
> Administration, Localization, I configured as described:
> MULTILINGUAL=Yes
> SUPPORTED LANGUAGES=fr,en
> DEFAULT LANGUAGE=fr
> And I saved.
> But no any visual changes ... In menu (right-upper corner) appeared submenu
> Languages but only English presents in this submenu, no French.
> If I put MULTILINGUAL=No and changed DEFAULT LANGUAGE=fr - screen language
> immediately changed after I pressed Save, but I cannot change language in
> menu (right-upper corner).
> I made all as described at  Internationalization
> <http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/I18N>

The menu lists all translations for the current page. Maybe the page you’re on doesn’t have translations?

Try editing the page and provide a translation.

> Whats the problem?

Re: Using xwiki in multilingual mode problem

Eugen Colesnicov
vmassol wrote
Current page - configuration page. As I said - no any changes - also didn't changed elements of XWiki interface (menu, etc). Looks like a bug.

Re: Using xwiki in multilingual mode problem

> On 02 Sep 2016, at 11:16, Eugen Colesnicov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> vmassol wrote
>> The menu lists all translations for the current page. Maybe the page
>> you’re on doesn’t have translations?
>> Try editing the page and provide a translation.
>
> Current page - configuration page. As I said - no any changes - also didn't
> changed elements of XWiki interface (menu, etc). Looks like a bug.

No it’s the way it’s always been working.

We know it’s not optimal but that’s how it is now. The UI uses the language of the translation page.

See http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-9987

Yes, you are right - this is my situation! Have any plans approx. when will be solved this problem?

No plan. Nobody seems rally interesting in contributing. This issue has been there since December 2009: http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-6402

Are you interested in contributing a patch or in sponsoring the development of this feature? (There are some companies accepting sponsoring of xwiki features, see http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/Support#HProfessionalSupport for a list of companies if you’re interested). That would certainly be a way of speeding up the resolution of this issue :)