[VOTE] API breakage - Extension point org.xwiki.platform.html.head

[VOTE] API breakage - Extension point org.xwiki.platform.html.head

Stéphane Laurière-6
Hi devs,

I'm opening this vote in order to propose an API breakage consisting in renaming the extension point "org.xwiki.platform.head" to "org.xwiki.platform.html.head". The former identifier was introduced too early by mistake in 11.1RC1 due to an omission by me, apologies, but it does not fit well because it does not self-explain that it targets the html head. Here is the extension point documentation page:

   https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/DevGuide/ExtensionPoint/HTMLHead

As far as I know, there's just one public extension using this extension point for now, it's the OpenGraph Application, which already uses the new identifier:

   https://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/OpenGraph%20Application/

Further information about the change is available in the following pull request, which requires among other things that this vote passes:

   https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/pull/1115

Thanks to Caty for spotting the issue and the guidance on how to fix it, and to Simon and Vincent.

Kind regards

Stéphane

--
Stéphane Laurière
XWiki – https://xwiki.com

Re: [VOTE] API breakage - Extension point org.xwiki.platform.html.head

Simon Urli
Hi Stéphane, all,

On 06/06/2019 12:54, Stéphane Laurière wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> I'm opening this vote in order to propose an API breakage consisting in
> renaming the extension point "org.xwiki.platform.head" to
> "org.xwiki.platform.html.head". The former identifier was introduced too
> early by mistake in 11.1RC1 due to an omission by me, apologies, but it
> does not fit well because it does not self-explain that it targets the
> html head. Here is the extension point documentation page:
>

> https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/DevGuide/ExtensionPoint/HTMLHead
>

> As far as I know, there's just one public extension using this extension
> point for now, it's the OpenGraph Application, which already uses the
> new identifier:
>

> https://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/OpenGraph%20Application/
>

> Further information about the change is available in the following pull
> request, which requires among other things that this vote passes:
>
>    https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/pull/1115
>
> Thanks to Caty for spotting the issue and the guidance on how to fix it,
> and to Simon and Vincent.

+1 for the API breakage since it's something quite new and it would be
more explicit on the long term.

Simon

--
Simon Urli
Software Engineer at XWiki SAS
[hidden email]
More about us at http://www.xwiki.com

Re: [VOTE] API breakage - Extension point org.xwiki.platform.html.head

Hi Stephane/all,

+1 since it’s new and we probably don’t have many usages of this new UIXP (especially as it was badly documented and was marked as “work in progress”).

PS1: I’ve commented on the jira issue and on the PR about still missing documentation parts.
PS2: I’ve added a step to the ReleasePlan process to try to make sure that we don’t reproduce it, i.e. that we don’t release a version with commits and with the issue not closed (due to a missing fixVersion info in jira).

> On 6 Jun 2019, at 12:54, Stéphane Laurière <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi devs,
>
> I'm opening this vote in order to propose an API breakage consisting in renaming the extension point "org.xwiki.platform.head" to "org.xwiki.platform.html.head". The former identifier was introduced too early by mistake in 11.1RC1 due to an omission by me, apologies, but it does not fit well because it does not self-explain that it targets the html head. Here is the extension point documentation page:
>
>  https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/DevGuide/ExtensionPoint/HTMLHead
>
> As far as I know, there's just one public extension using this extension point for now, it's the OpenGraph Application, which already uses the new identifier:
>
>  https://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/OpenGraph%20Application/
>
> Further information about the change is available in the following pull request, which requires among other things that this vote passes:
>
>  https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/pull/1115
>
> Thanks to Caty for spotting the issue and the guidance on how to fix it, and to Simon and Vincent.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Stéphane
>

> --
> Stéphane Laurière
> XWiki – https://xwiki.com

Re: [VOTE] API breakage - Extension point org.xwiki.platform.html.head

+1, it's new enough and the current one is really not great

Should be cherry-picked in 11.3.x branch to make the change effective ASAP.

On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 12:54 PM Stéphane Laurière <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> I'm opening this vote in order to propose an API breakage consisting in renaming the extension point "org.xwiki.platform.head" to "org.xwiki.platform.html.head". The former identifier was introduced too early by mistake in 11.1RC1 due to an omission by me, apologies, but it does not fit well because it does not self-explain that it targets the html head. Here is the extension point documentation page:
>
>    https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/DevGuide/ExtensionPoint/HTMLHead
>
> As far as I know, there's just one public extension using this extension point for now, it's the OpenGraph Application, which already uses the new identifier:
>
>    https://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/OpenGraph%20Application/
>
> Further information about the change is available in the following pull request, which requires among other things that this vote passes:
>
>    https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/pull/1115
>
> Thanks to Caty for spotting the issue and the guidance on how to fix it, and to Simon and Vincent.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Stéphane
>

> --
> Stéphane Laurière
> XWiki – https://xwiki.com

Re: [VOTE] API breakage - Extension point org.xwiki.platform.html.head

So far:4 +1, no 0 and no -1.

Because we need to release 11.3.1 ASAP i’ve applied Stephane’s PR and merged it on 11.3.x branch.

> On 6 Jun 2019, at 14:32, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> +1, it's new enough and the current one is really not great
>
> Should be cherry-picked in 11.3.x branch to make the change effective ASAP.
>
> On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 12:54 PM Stéphane Laurière <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> I'm opening this vote in order to propose an API breakage consisting in renaming the extension point "org.xwiki.platform.head" to "org.xwiki.platform.html.head". The former identifier was introduced too early by mistake in 11.1RC1 due to an omission by me, apologies, but it does not fit well because it does not self-explain that it targets the html head. Here is the extension point documentation page:
>>
>>   https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/DevGuide/ExtensionPoint/HTMLHead
>>
>> As far as I know, there's just one public extension using this extension point for now, it's the OpenGraph Application, which already uses the new identifier:
>>
>>   https://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/OpenGraph%20Application/
>>
>> Further information about the change is available in the following pull request, which requires among other things that this vote passes:
>>
>>   https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/pull/1115
>>
>> Thanks to Caty for spotting the issue and the guidance on how to fix it, and to Simon and Vincent.
>>
>> Kind regards
>>
>> Stéphane
>>

>> --
>> Stéphane Laurière
>> XWiki – https://xwiki.com

Re: [VOTE] API breakage - Extension point org.xwiki.platform.html.head

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
+1