[VOTE] Agree that we allow ourselves to add new Link Types

[VOTE] Agree that we allow ourselves to add new Link Types

During the discussions regarding http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XRENDERING-290 ("Add support for linking to a user profile page in XWiki Syntax”) we hesitated adding a new link type named “user:” because that would have broken backward compatibility for users having a wiki named “user”.

See http://xwiki.markmail.org/thread/vw3derowozijqalr and the ensuing http://markmail.org/message/t2wb2xq7534qsshg

Now time has passed and we’ve just added the support for the “space” prefix for wiki links, as in e.g. [[space:Space1.space]].

FYI, we’ve added the following in the release notes:

We've introduced the possibility to explicitly create a link to a Space in XWiki Syntax 2.1, e.g. [[space:Space1.Space2]]. However if you had a subwiki named space the new notation will conflict with the syntax for referencing that wiki. Thus you'll need to edit existing links such as [[space:something]] to [[doc:space:something]]. And if you wish to reference a given space in the space subwiki, you'd write [[space:space:something]].

The rationale is that the resource reference syntax is not really tied to the wiki syntax and we’re not going to increment the wiki syntax version each time we add a new type of resource.

So with this VOTE I’d like to ensure that we’re ok to allow ourselves to continue adding new resource reference types. For example we could add “user:” in the future without having to go through a VOTE again. Whenever we do this, we would just need to mention it in the release notes. Of course we shouldn’t add a prefix named “xwiki” ;)

Please cast your vote.

Here’s my +1

Re: [VOTE] Agree that we allow ourselves to add new Link Types

+1

As someone (was Denis I think but can't find where anymore) suggested,
it would be nice to introduce some admin section to review and
enable/disable resource types (any extension can provide new resource
type).

On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 6:20 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> During the discussions regarding http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XRENDERING-290 ("Add support for linking to a user profile page in XWiki Syntax”) we hesitated adding a new link type named “user:” because that would have broken backward compatibility for users having a wiki named “user”.
>
> See http://xwiki.markmail.org/thread/vw3derowozijqalr and the ensuing http://markmail.org/message/t2wb2xq7534qsshg
>
> Now time has passed and we’ve just added the support for the “space” prefix for wiki links, as in e.g. [[space:Space1.space]].
>
> FYI, we’ve added the following in the release notes:
>
> “
> We've introduced the possibility to explicitly create a link to a Space in XWiki Syntax 2.1, e.g. [[space:Space1.Space2]]. However if you had a subwiki named space the new notation will conflict with the syntax for referencing that wiki. Thus you'll need to edit existing links such as [[space:something]] to [[doc:space:something]]. And if you wish to reference a given space in the space subwiki, you'd write [[space:space:something]].
> “
>
> The rationale is that the resource reference syntax is not really tied to the wiki syntax and we’re not going to increment the wiki syntax version each time we add a new type of resource.
>
> So with this VOTE I’d like to ensure that we’re ok to allow ourselves to continue adding new resource reference types. For example we could add “user:” in the future without having to go through a VOTE again. Whenever we do this, we would just need to mention it in the release notes. Of course we shouldn’t add a prefix named “xwiki” ;)
>
> Please cast your vote.
>
> Here’s my +1

Re: [VOTE] Agree that we allow ourselves to add new Link Types

Jean SIMARD
+1

On 08/02/2016 20:04, Thomas Mortagne wrote:

> +1
>
> As someone (was Denis I think but can't find where anymore) suggested,
> it would be nice to introduce some admin section to review and
> enable/disable resource types (any extension can provide new resource
> type).
>
> On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 6:20 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> During the discussions regarding http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XRENDERING-290 ("Add support for linking to a user profile page in XWiki Syntax”) we hesitated adding a new link type named “user:” because that would have broken backward compatibility for users having a wiki named “user”.
>>
>> See http://xwiki.markmail.org/thread/vw3derowozijqalr and the ensuing http://markmail.org/message/t2wb2xq7534qsshg
>>
>> Now time has passed and we’ve just added the support for the “space” prefix for wiki links, as in e.g. [[space:Space1.space]].
>>
>> FYI, we’ve added the following in the release notes:
>>
>> “
>> We've introduced the possibility to explicitly create a link to a Space in XWiki Syntax 2.1, e.g. [[space:Space1.Space2]]. However if you had a subwiki named space the new notation will conflict with the syntax for referencing that wiki. Thus you'll need to edit existing links such as [[space:something]] to [[doc:space:something]]. And if you wish to reference a given space in the space subwiki, you'd write [[space:space:something]].
>> “
>>
>> The rationale is that the resource reference syntax is not really tied to the wiki syntax and we’re not going to increment the wiki syntax version each time we add a new type of resource.
>>
>> So with this VOTE I’d like to ensure that we’re ok to allow ourselves to continue adding new resource reference types. For example we could add “user:” in the future without having to go through a VOTE again. Whenever we do this, we would just need to mention it in the release notes. Of course we shouldn’t add a prefix named “xwiki” ;)
>>
>> Please cast your vote.
>>
>> Here’s my +1

Jean Simard
[hidden email]
Research engineer at XWiki SAS
http://www.xwiki.com
Committer on the XWiki.org project
http://www.xwiki.org

Re: [VOTE] Agree that we allow ourselves to add new Link Types

Guillaume Delhumeau
+1

> +1
>
> On 08/02/2016 20:04, Thomas Mortagne wrote:
> > +1
> >
> > As someone (was Denis I think but can't find where anymore) suggested,
> > it would be nice to introduce some admin section to review and
> > enable/disable resource types (any extension can provide new resource
> > type).
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 6:20 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >> Hi devs,
> >>
> >> During the discussions regarding
> http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XRENDERING-290 ("Add support for linking to
> a user profile page in XWiki Syntax”) we hesitated adding a new link type
> named “user:” because that would have broken backward compatibility for
> users having a wiki named “user”.
> >>
> >> See http://xwiki.markmail.org/thread/vw3derowozijqalr and the ensuing
> http://markmail.org/message/t2wb2xq7534qsshg
> >>
> >> Now time has passed and we’ve just added the support for the “space”
> prefix for wiki links, as in e.g. [[space:Space1.space]].
> >>
> >> FYI, we’ve added the following in the release notes:
> >>
> >> “
> >> We've introduced the possibility to explicitly create a link to a Space
> in XWiki Syntax 2.1, e.g. [[space:Space1.Space2]]. However if you had a
> subwiki named space the new notation will conflict with the syntax for
> referencing that wiki. Thus you'll need to edit existing links such as
> [[space:something]] to [[doc:space:something]]. And if you wish to
> reference a given space in the space subwiki, you'd write
> [[space:space:something]].
> >> “
> >>
> >> The rationale is that the resource reference syntax is not really tied
> to the wiki syntax and we’re not going to increment the wiki syntax version
> each time we add a new type of resource.
> >>
> >> So with this VOTE I’d like to ensure that we’re ok to allow ourselves
> to continue adding new resource reference types. For example we could add
> “user:” in the future without having to go through a VOTE again. Whenever
> we do this, we would just need to mention it in the release notes. Of
> course we shouldn’t add a prefix named “xwiki” ;)
> >>
> >> Please cast your vote.
> >>
> >> Here’s my +1
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> -Vincent

> Jean Simard
> [hidden email]
> Research engineer at XWiki SAS
> http://www.xwiki.com
> Committer on the XWiki.org project
> http://www.xwiki.org

Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [VOTE] Agree that we allow ourselves to add new Link Types

Denis Gervalle-2
+1, since any extension could do it, why not ? and yes, we need a way to
disable some, or even better rename them, since the breakage could be huge
for existing wikis.

On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 9:58 AM, Guillaume Delhumeau <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1

> > +1
> >
> > On 08/02/2016 20:04, Thomas Mortagne wrote:
> > > +1
> > >
> > > As someone (was Denis I think but can't find where anymore) suggested,
> > > it would be nice to introduce some admin section to review and
> > > enable/disable resource types (any extension can provide new resource
> > > type).

> > http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XRENDERING-290 ("Add support for linking to
> > a user profile page in XWiki Syntax”) we hesitated adding a new link type
> > named “user:” because that would have broken backward compatibility for
> > users having a wiki named “user”.

> > http://markmail.org/message/t2wb2xq7534qsshg

> > prefix for wiki links, as in e.g. [[space:Space1.space]].

> Space
> > in XWiki Syntax 2.1, e.g. [[space:Space1.Space2]]. However if you had a
> > subwiki named space the new notation will conflict with the syntax for
> > referencing that wiki. Thus you'll need to edit existing links such as
> > [[space:something]] to [[doc:space:something]]. And if you wish to
> > reference a given space in the space subwiki, you'd write
> > [[space:space:something]].

> > to the wiki syntax and we’re not going to increment the wiki syntax
> version
> > each time we add a new type of resource.

> > to continue adding new resource reference types. For example we could add
> > “user:” in the future without having to go through a VOTE again. Whenever
> > we do this, we would just need to mention it in the release notes. Of
> > course we shouldn’t add a prefix named “xwiki” ;)

> > Jean Simard
> > [hidden email]
> > Research engineer at XWiki SAS
> > http://www.xwiki.com
> > Committer on the XWiki.org project
> > http://www.xwiki.org

> Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
> Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
> Committer on the XWiki.org project

Denis Gervalle
SOFTEC sa - CEO

Re: [VOTE] Agree that we allow ourselves to add new Link Types

Eduard Moraru
+1

Thanks,
Eduard

On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 11:52 AM, Denis Gervalle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1, since any extension could do it, why not ? and yes, we need a way to
> disable some, or even better rename them, since the breakage could be huge
> for existing wikis.
>
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 9:58 AM, Guillaume Delhumeau <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > +1

> > > +1

> suggested,

> [hidden email]

> > > http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XRENDERING-290 ("Add support for linking
> > > a user profile page in XWiki Syntax”) we hesitated adding a new link
> type
> > > named “user:” because that would have broken backward compatibility for
> > > users having a wiki named “user”.

> ensuing
> > > http://markmail.org/message/t2wb2xq7534qsshg

> > > prefix for wiki links, as in e.g. [[space:Space1.space]].

> > Space
> > > in XWiki Syntax 2.1, e.g. [[space:Space1.Space2]]. However if you had a
> > > subwiki named space the new notation will conflict with the syntax for
> > > referencing that wiki. Thus you'll need to edit existing links such as
> > > [[space:something]] to [[doc:space:something]]. And if you wish to
> > > reference a given space in the space subwiki, you'd write
> > > [[space:space:something]].

> tied
> > > to the wiki syntax and we’re not going to increment the wiki syntax
> > version
> > > each time we add a new type of resource.

> ourselves
> > > to continue adding new resource reference types. For example we could
> add
> > > “user:” in the future without having to go through a VOTE again.
> Whenever
> > > we do this, we would just need to mention it in the release notes. Of
> > > course we shouldn’t add a prefix named “xwiki” ;)

> > > --
> > > Jean Simard
> > > [hidden email]
> > > Research engineer at XWiki SAS
> > > http://www.xwiki.com
> > > Committer on the XWiki.org project
> > > http://www.xwiki.org

> > Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
> > Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
> > Committer on the XWiki.org project

> Denis Gervalle
> SOFTEC sa - CEO

Re: [VOTE] Agree that we allow ourselves to add new Link Types

+1

On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 7:20 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>