[VOTE] Change Android Authenticator package

[VOTE] Change Android Authenticator package

Алексей Овсянников
Hello everybody!

We are stuck for the release of "Android Authenticator" application.

You need 2 things to publish on play store:

   - A unique application ID (the current one is
   "org.xwiki.android.authenticator")
   - An associated publication key

Problem is that we lost the key (we lost contact with Fitz during first
GSOC before he get a change to give us the private key he used for the
first release) and you can't change the key for an application on play
store. We contacted the support to know if we could modify the key but we
did not get any answer and since it' not too critical to ditch the old
(beta released only) application and create a new one (new from play store
point of view) we decided to change the id.

Also note that the Java package we use in the module is
"org.xwiki.android.authenticator" which is why we have the current
application id.

Here are a few proposals:
1) "org.xwiki.android.authenticator.v2" as in the second version of the key
and if we loose the key again it can be v3 :)

2) "org.xwiki.android.authenticator.i2" to not look to much like a version
of the application (id 2)

3) "org.xwiki.android.sync" since the application is about synchronization
of xwiki data

4) "org.xwiki.android.sync.contacts" since the application is about
synchronization of contacts too

5) "org.xwiki.android.authenticator.reborn" as in it's been a long time
since we did a release of this application and half of it has been
rewritten since that time

WDYT ?

I think that "*.(v2|reborn)" are not better ways to rename (but
"reborn" better than "v2" becase "v2" mean version number 2, but what for
do we have android app version?:) ) and in my humble opinion we must choose
"org.xwiki.android.sync.contacts" or better to choose
"org.xwiki.android.sync" because it will not prohibit us to add extension
applications with packages as "org.xwiki.android.sync.contacts" and will
show first value and purpose of application.

Issue: https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/ANDAUTH-35
---------
Best regards,
Ovsyannikov Aleksey,

Re: [VOTE] Change Android Authenticator package

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 12:07 PM, Алексей Овсянников
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everybody!
>
> We are stuck for the release of "Android Authenticator" application.
>
> You need 2 things to publish on play store:
>
>    - A unique application ID (the current one is
>    "org.xwiki.android.authenticator")
>    - An associated publication key
>
> Problem is that we lost the key (we lost contact with Fitz during first
> GSOC before he get a change to give us the private key he used for the
> first release) and you can't change the key for an application on play
> store. We contacted the support to know if we could modify the key but we
> did not get any answer and since it' not too critical to ditch the old
> (beta released only) application and create a new one (new from play store
> point of view) we decided to change the id.
>
> Also note that the Java package we use in the module is
> "org.xwiki.android.authenticator" which is why we have the current
> application id.
>
> Here are a few proposals:
> 1) "org.xwiki.android.authenticator.v2" as in the second version of the key
> and if we loose the key again it can be v3 :)
>
> 2) "org.xwiki.android.authenticator.i2" to not look to much like a version
> of the application (id 2)
>
> 3) "org.xwiki.android.sync" since the application is about synchronization
> of xwiki data
>
> 4) "org.xwiki.android.sync.contacts" since the application is about
> synchronization of contacts too
>
> 5) "org.xwiki.android.authenticator.reborn" as in it's been a long time
> since we did a release of this application and half of it has been
> rewritten since that time
>
> WDYT ?

I really think we need to keep a "org.xwiki.android.authenticator."
prefix to be consistent with the Java package so -1 for 3) and 4).

Since we need to choose one by +1 goes to
"org.xwiki.android.authenticator.i2" to not feel too much like a
version but still easy to understand and easy to increment if we have
an issue (could be compromised key, not only lost one).

> I think that "*.(v2|reborn)" are not better ways to rename (but
> "reborn" better than "v2" becase "v2" mean version number 2, but what for
> do we have android app version?:) ) and in my humble opinion we must choose
> "org.xwiki.android.sync.contacts" or better to choose
> "org.xwiki.android.sync" because it will not prohibit us to add extension
> applications with packages as "org.xwiki.android.sync.contacts" and will
> show first value and purpose of application.
>
> Issue: https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/ANDAUTH-35
> ---------
> Best regards,
> Ovsyannikov Aleksey,

Re: [VOTE] Change Android Authenticator package

> On 6 Jun 2018, at 12:07, Алексей Овсянников <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello everybody!
>
> We are stuck for the release of "Android Authenticator" application.
>
> You need 2 things to publish on play store:
>
>   - A unique application ID (the current one is
>   "org.xwiki.android.authenticator")
>   - An associated publication key
>
> Problem is that we lost the key (we lost contact with Fitz during first
> GSOC before he get a change to give us the private key he used for the
> first release) and you can't change the key for an application on play
> store. We contacted the support to know if we could modify the key but we
> did not get any answer

Actually we got an answer. I saw a mail in the [hidden email] moderation queue this morning but unfortunately I deleted it.

If you can ask again, I can let the email go through or forward it to you.

> and since it' not too critical to ditch the old
> (beta released only) application and create a new one (new from play store
> point of view) we decided to change the id.
>
> Also note that the Java package we use in the module is
> "org.xwiki.android.authenticator" which is why we have the current
> application id.
>
> Here are a few proposals:
> 1) "org.xwiki.android.authenticator.v2" as in the second version of the key
> and if we loose the key again it can be v3 :)
>
> 2) "org.xwiki.android.authenticator.i2" to not look to much like a version
> of the application (id 2)
>
> 3) "org.xwiki.android.sync" since the application is about synchronization
> of xwiki data
>
> 4) "org.xwiki.android.sync.contacts" since the application is about
> synchronization of contacts too
>
> 5) "org.xwiki.android.authenticator.reborn" as in it's been a long time
> since we did a release of this application and half of it has been
> rewritten since that time
>
> WDYT ?
>
> I think that "*.(v2|reborn)" are not better ways to rename (but
> "reborn" better than "v2" becase "v2" mean version number 2, but what for
> do we have android app version?:) ) and in my humble opinion we must choose
> "org.xwiki.android.sync.contacts" or better to choose
> "org.xwiki.android.sync" because it will not prohibit us to add extension
> applications with packages as "org.xwiki.android.sync.contacts" and will
> show first value and purpose of application.
>
> Issue: https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/ANDAUTH-35
> ---------
> Best regards,
> Ovsyannikov Aleksey,

Re: [VOTE] Change Android Authenticator package

> On 6 Jun 2018, at 13:17, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> On 6 Jun 2018, at 12:07, Алексей Овсянников <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello everybody!
>>
>> We are stuck for the release of "Android Authenticator" application.
>>
>> You need 2 things to publish on play store:
>>
>>  - A unique application ID (the current one is
>>  "org.xwiki.android.authenticator")
>>  - An associated publication key
>>
>> Problem is that we lost the key (we lost contact with Fitz during first
>> GSOC before he get a change to give us the private key he used for the
>> first release) and you can't change the key for an application on play
>> store. We contacted the support to know if we could modify the key but we
>> did not get any answer
>
> Actually we got an answer. I saw a mail in the [hidden email] moderation queue this morning but unfortunately I deleted it.
>
> If you can ask again, I can let the email go through or forward it to you.

Note that the email we got was a generated email (not a hand written one).

I remember there was a link in it.

>> and since it' not too critical to ditch the old
>> (beta released only) application and create a new one (new from play store
>> point of view) we decided to change the id.
>>
>> Also note that the Java package we use in the module is
>> "org.xwiki.android.authenticator" which is why we have the current
>> application id.
>>
>> Here are a few proposals:
>> 1) "org.xwiki.android.authenticator.v2" as in the second version of the key
>> and if we loose the key again it can be v3 :)
>>
>> 2) "org.xwiki.android.authenticator.i2" to not look to much like a version
>> of the application (id 2)
>>
>> 3) "org.xwiki.android.sync" since the application is about synchronization
>> of xwiki data
>>
>> 4) "org.xwiki.android.sync.contacts" since the application is about
>> synchronization of contacts too
>>
>> 5) "org.xwiki.android.authenticator.reborn" as in it's been a long time
>> since we did a release of this application and half of it has been
>> rewritten since that time
>>
>> WDYT ?
>>
>> I think that "*.(v2|reborn)" are not better ways to rename (but
>> "reborn" better than "v2" becase "v2" mean version number 2, but what for
>> do we have android app version?:) ) and in my humble opinion we must choose
>> "org.xwiki.android.sync.contacts" or better to choose
>> "org.xwiki.android.sync" because it will not prohibit us to add extension
>> applications with packages as "org.xwiki.android.sync.contacts" and will
>> show first value and purpose of application.
>>
>> Issue: https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/ANDAUTH-35
>> ---------
>> Best regards,
>> Ovsyannikov Aleksey,

Re: [VOTE] Change Android Authenticator package

OK, let's try again then.

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 1:17 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 6 Jun 2018, at 13:17, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> On 6 Jun 2018, at 12:07, Алексей Овсянников <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello everybody!
>>>
>>> We are stuck for the release of "Android Authenticator" application.
>>>
>>> You need 2 things to publish on play store:
>>>
>>>  - A unique application ID (the current one is
>>>  "org.xwiki.android.authenticator")
>>>  - An associated publication key
>>>
>>> Problem is that we lost the key (we lost contact with Fitz during first
>>> GSOC before he get a change to give us the private key he used for the
>>> first release) and you can't change the key for an application on play
>>> store. We contacted the support to know if we could modify the key but we
>>> did not get any answer
>>
>> Actually we got an answer. I saw a mail in the [hidden email] moderation queue this morning but unfortunately I deleted it.
>>
>> If you can ask again, I can let the email go through or forward it to you.
>
> Note that the email we got was a generated email (not a hand written one).
>
> I remember there was a link in it.

>>> and since it' not too critical to ditch the old
>>> (beta released only) application and create a new one (new from play store
>>> point of view) we decided to change the id.
>>>
>>> Also note that the Java package we use in the module is
>>> "org.xwiki.android.authenticator" which is why we have the current
>>> application id.
>>>
>>> Here are a few proposals:
>>> 1) "org.xwiki.android.authenticator.v2" as in the second version of the key
>>> and if we loose the key again it can be v3 :)
>>>
>>> 2) "org.xwiki.android.authenticator.i2" to not look to much like a version
>>> of the application (id 2)
>>>
>>> 3) "org.xwiki.android.sync" since the application is about synchronization
>>> of xwiki data
>>>
>>> 4) "org.xwiki.android.sync.contacts" since the application is about
>>> synchronization of contacts too
>>>
>>> 5) "org.xwiki.android.authenticator.reborn" as in it's been a long time
>>> since we did a release of this application and half of it has been
>>> rewritten since that time
>>>
>>> WDYT ?
>>>
>>> I think that "*.(v2|reborn)" are not better ways to rename (but
>>> "reborn" better than "v2" becase "v2" mean version number 2, but what for
>>> do we have android app version?:) ) and in my humble opinion we must choose
>>> "org.xwiki.android.sync.contacts" or better to choose
>>> "org.xwiki.android.sync" because it will not prohibit us to add extension
>>> applications with packages as "org.xwiki.android.sync.contacts" and will
>>> show first value and purpose of application.
>>>
>>> Issue: https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/ANDAUTH-35
>>> ---------
>>> Best regards,
>>> Ovsyannikov Aleksey,
>>> [hidden email]

Re: [VOTE] Change Android Authenticator package

Still no answer, lets rename.