[VOTE] Change package names from com.xpn.xwiki to org.xwiki

[VOTE] Change package names from com.xpn.xwiki to org.xwiki

Hi everyone,

I think it would be better for the XWiki project to use a org.xwiki
package. There are several reasons for this:
- fits better as XWiki is under OSS/LGPL
- the company name can change, it's less likely the product name will
change
- I believe if we want to make that change we should do it before the
1.0 release, as it's quite an important change and would break some
advanced usages of XWiki (like plugin creators, extension creators in
general). I think users should be safe though for the vast majority,
unless they're doing funky stuff in their pages.

Here's my +1

Re: [VOTE] Change package names from com.xpn.xwiki to org.xwiki

Sergiu Dumitriu
+1

On 2/26/07, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi everyone,

I think it would be better for the XWiki project to use a org.xwiki
package. There are several reasons for this:
- fits better as XWiki is under OSS/LGPL
- the company name can change, it's less likely the product name will
change
- I believe if we want to make that change we should do it before the
1.0 release, as it's quite an important change and would break some
advanced usages of XWiki (like plugin creators, extension creators in
general). I think users should be safe though for the vast majority,
unless they're doing funky stuff in their pages.

Here's my +1

http://purl.org/net/sergiu

Re: [VOTE] Change package names from com.xpn.xwiki to org.xwiki

Marta Girdea
+1

On 2/26/07, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I think it would be better for the XWiki project to use a org.xwiki
> package. There are several reasons for this:
> - fits better as XWiki is under OSS/LGPL
> - the company name can change, it's less likely the product name will
> change
> - I believe if we want to make that change we should do it before the
> 1.0 release, as it's quite an important change and would break some
> advanced usages of XWiki (like plugin creators, extension creators in
> general). I think users should be safe though for the vast majority,
> unless they're doing funky stuff in their pages.
>
> Here's my +1

Re: [VOTE] Change package names from com.xpn.xwiki to org.xwiki

Stéphane Laurière-6
+1

Vincent Massol wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I think it would be better for the XWiki project to use a org.xwiki
> package. There are several reasons for this:
> - fits better as XWiki is under OSS/LGPL
> - the company name can change, it's less likely the product name will
> change
> - I believe if we want to make that change we should do it before the
> 1.0 release, as it's quite an important change and would break some
> advanced usages of XWiki (like plugin creators, extension creators in
> general). I think users should be safe though for the vast majority,
> unless they're doing funky stuff in their pages.
>
> Here's my +1

> ___________________________________________________________________________Yahoo!
> Mail réinvente le mail ! Découvrez le nouveau Yahoo! Mail et son
> interface révolutionnaire.
> http://fr.mail.yahoo.com

Re: [VOTE] Change package names from com.xpn.xwiki to org.xwiki

jeremi joslin-2
+1

On 2/26/07, Stéphane Laurière <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> Vincent Massol wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I think it would be better for the XWiki project to use a org.xwiki
> > package. There are several reasons for this:
> > - fits better as XWiki is under OSS/LGPL
> > - the company name can change, it's less likely the product name will
> > change
> > - I believe if we want to make that change we should do it before the
> > 1.0 release, as it's quite an important change and would break some
> > advanced usages of XWiki (like plugin creators, extension creators in
> > general). I think users should be safe though for the vast majority,
> > unless they're doing funky stuff in their pages.
> >
> > Here's my +1

> > ___________________________________________________________________________Yahoo!
> > Mail réinvente le mail ! Découvrez le nouveau Yahoo! Mail et son
> > interface révolutionnaire.
> > http://fr.mail.yahoo.com

Jeremi Joslin (http://www.jeremi.info)
skype: jeremi23 - jabber: [hidden email]
http://www.xwiki.com - http://www.pengyou-project.info

Re: [VOTE] Change package names from com.xpn.xwiki to org.xwiki

Actually I wrote this email offline and I only sent it yesterday
night by error. I had written it earlier and in the meantime I had
spoken to Ludovic who thinks this is going to cause trouble with
current projects. Thus I was going not to send it but it got sent
when I got connected to a wifi hotspot in the street... ;-)

The other option we have is to do this move when we move to the new
2.0 architecture. Of course this means 1.0 users are going to use the
APIs and current packages to write plugins, etc and it'll be harder
to move all of them to the new package structure later on. But if
it's going to cause too much problem to current projects I understand.

Ludovic, please let us know your POV.

On Feb 26, 2007, at 11:24 AM, Vincent Massol wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I think it would be better for the XWiki project to use a org.xwiki
> package. There are several reasons for this:
> - fits better as XWiki is under OSS/LGPL
> - the company name can change, it's less likely the product name
> will change
> - I believe if we want to make that change we should do it before
> the 1.0 release, as it's quite an important change and would break
> some advanced usages of XWiki (like plugin creators, extension
> creators in general). I think users should be safe though for the
> vast majority, unless they're doing funky stuff in their pages.
>
> Here's my +1

Re: [VOTE] Change package names from com.xpn.xwiki to org.xwiki

Catalin Hritcu
+1 (my first vote)

On 2/27/07, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Actually I wrote this email offline and I only sent it yesterday
> night by error. I had written it earlier and in the meantime I had
> spoken to Ludovic who thinks this is going to cause trouble with
> current projects. Thus I was going not to send it but it got sent
> when I got connected to a wifi hotspot in the street... ;-)
>
> The other option we have is to do this move when we move to the new
> 2.0 architecture. Of course this means 1.0 users are going to use the
> APIs and current packages to write plugins, etc and it'll be harder
> to move all of them to the new package structure later on. But if
> it's going to cause too much problem to current projects I understand.
>
> Ludovic, please let us know your POV.

> On Feb 26, 2007, at 11:24 AM, Vincent Massol wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I think it would be better for the XWiki project to use a org.xwiki
> > package. There are several reasons for this:
> > - fits better as XWiki is under OSS/LGPL
> > - the company name can change, it's less likely the product name
> > will change
> > - I believe if we want to make that change we should do it before
> > the 1.0 release, as it's quite an important change and would break
> > some advanced usages of XWiki (like plugin creators, extension
> > creators in general). I think users should be safe though for the
> > vast majority, unless they're doing funky stuff in their pages.
> >
> > Here's my +1

Re: [VOTE] Change package names from com.xpn.xwiki to org.xwiki

Jean-Vincent Drean
+1

2007/2/27, Catalin Hritcu <[hidden email]>:

> +1 (my first vote)
>
> On 2/27/07, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Actually I wrote this email offline and I only sent it yesterday
> > night by error. I had written it earlier and in the meantime I had
> > spoken to Ludovic who thinks this is going to cause trouble with
> > current projects. Thus I was going not to send it but it got sent
> > when I got connected to a wifi hotspot in the street... ;-)
> >
> > The other option we have is to do this move when we move to the new
> > 2.0 architecture. Of course this means 1.0 users are going to use the
> > APIs and current packages to write plugins, etc and it'll be harder
> > to move all of them to the new package structure later on. But if
> > it's going to cause too much problem to current projects I understand.
> >
> > Ludovic, please let us know your POV.

> > On Feb 26, 2007, at 11:24 AM, Vincent Massol wrote:
> >
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >
> > > I think it would be better for the XWiki project to use a org.xwiki
> > > package. There are several reasons for this:
> > > - fits better as XWiki is under OSS/LGPL
> > > - the company name can change, it's less likely the product name
> > > will change
> > > - I believe if we want to make that change we should do it before
> > > the 1.0 release, as it's quite an important change and would break
> > > some advanced usages of XWiki (like plugin creators, extension
> > > creators in general). I think users should be safe though for the
> > > vast majority, unless they're doing funky stuff in their pages.
> > >
> > > Here's my +1
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > -Vincent

Re: [VOTE] Change package names from com.xpn.xwiki to org.xwiki

0

As Vincent was saying I think this has an important impact on many
projects that are build on top of XWiki.
Doing this before 1.0 is going to force all these projects to update the
many different project build files.

I know it's not good to change API names between a 1.0 and a 1.1
release, but I really think this should be done on a 1.1 or 2.0 release.
This would allow projects build on top of the core to decide wether to
base thir work on 1.0 stable or to work on 1.1 or 2.0 and then upgrade
their project files.

So my vote is YES let's do it, but NOT now. If we can postpone this to
end of march that would be great.

Ludovic

Vincent Massol a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> Actually I wrote this email offline and I only sent it yesterday night
> by error. I had written it earlier and in the meantime I had spoken to
> Ludovic who thinks this is going to cause trouble with current
> projects. Thus I was going not to send it but it got sent when I got
> connected to a wifi hotspot in the street... ;-)
>
> The other option we have is to do this move when we move to the new
> 2.0 architecture. Of course this means 1.0 users are going to use the
> APIs and current packages to write plugins, etc and it'll be harder to
> move all of them to the new package structure later on. But if it's
> going to cause too much problem to current projects I understand.
>
> Ludovic, please let us know your POV.

> On Feb 26, 2007, at 11:24 AM, Vincent Massol wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I think it would be better for the XWiki project to use a org.xwiki
>> package. There are several reasons for this:
>> - fits better as XWiki is under OSS/LGPL
>> - the company name can change, it's less likely the product name will
>> change
>> - I believe if we want to make that change we should do it before the
>> 1.0 release, as it's quite an important change and would break some
>> advanced usages of XWiki (like plugin creators, extension creators in
>> general). I think users should be safe though for the vast majority,
>> unless they're doing funky stuff in their pages.
>>
>> Here's my +1

> Mail réinvente le mail ! Découvrez le nouveau Yahoo! Mail et son
> interface révolutionnaire.
> http://fr.mail.yahoo.com

Skype: ldubost GTalk: ldubost
AIM: nvludo Yahoo: ludovic