[VOTE] Deprecation strategy

We need a deprecation strategy, i.e. decide for how long we keep
@deprecated methods/classes.

I propose to keep them for 2 full releases after the current version
is released as final.

For example if a method is deprecated in, say Core 1.3M2 then the
method will be removed in 1.6M1. Of course any major new release can
deprecate anything so a XWiki 2.0 is expected to break backward
compatibility.

So for methods deprecated in 1.0 we can remove them in 1.3M1, M2, etc.

WDYT?

If ok then I'll add this to our dev practice guide too.

Note that for this to be easy anyone deprecating methods should add
the information of when it was deprecated. For example:

     /**
      * @param time the time in milliseconds
      * @return the time delta in milliseconds between the current
date and the time passed
      *         as parameter
      * @deprecated replaced by {@link
com.xpn.xwiki.api.Util#getTimeDelta(long)} since 1.3M2
      */
     public int XWiki.getTimeDelta(long time)
     {
         return this.util.getTimeDelta(time);
     }

Here's my +1

Re: [VOTE] Deprecation strategy

Jean-Vincent Drean
+1

On Mon, Feb 4, 2008 at 3:14 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We need a deprecation strategy, i.e. decide for how long we keep
>  @deprecated methods/classes.
>
>  I propose to keep them for 2 full releases after the current version
>  is released as final.
>
>  For example if a method is deprecated in, say Core 1.3M2 then the
>  method will be removed in 1.6M1. Of course any major new release can
>  deprecate anything so a XWiki 2.0 is expected to break backward
>  compatibility.
>
>  So for methods deprecated in 1.0 we can remove them in 1.3M1, M2, etc.
>
>  WDYT?
>
>  If ok then I'll add this to our dev practice guide too.
>
>  Note that for this to be easy anyone deprecating methods should add
>  the information of when it was deprecated. For example:
>
>      /**
>       * @param time the time in milliseconds
>       * @return the time delta in milliseconds between the current
>  date and the time passed
>       *         as parameter
>       * @deprecated replaced by {@link
>  com.xpn.xwiki.api.Util#getTimeDelta(long)} since 1.3M2
>       */
>      public int XWiki.getTimeDelta(long time)
>      {
>          return this.util.getTimeDelta(time);
>      }
>
>  Here's my +1
>
>  Thanks
>  -Vincent

Re: [VOTE] Deprecation strategy

+1. Should we start digging and see what methods are already expired?

On Feb 4, 2008, at 4:12 PM, Sergiu Dumitriu wrote:

> +1. Should we start digging and see what methods are already expired?

Sure...

-Vincent

> Vincent Massol wrote:
>> We need a deprecation strategy, i.e. decide for how long we keep
>> @deprecated methods/classes.
>>
>> I propose to keep them for 2 full releases after the current version
>> is released as final.
>>
>> For example if a method is deprecated in, say Core 1.3M2 then the
>> method will be removed in 1.6M1. Of course any major new release can
>> deprecate anything so a XWiki 2.0 is expected to break backward
>> compatibility.
>>
>> So for methods deprecated in 1.0 we can remove them in 1.3M1, M2,
>> etc.
>>
>> WDYT?
>>
>> If ok then I'll add this to our dev practice guide too.
>>
>> Note that for this to be easy anyone deprecating methods should add
>> the information of when it was deprecated. For example:
>>
>>     /**
>>      * @param time the time in milliseconds
>>      * @return the time delta in milliseconds between the current
>> date and the time passed
>>      *         as parameter
>>      * @deprecated replaced by {@link
>> com.xpn.xwiki.api.Util#getTimeDelta(long)} since 1.3M2
>>      */
>>     public int XWiki.getTimeDelta(long time)
>>     {
>>         return this.util.getTimeDelta(time);
>>     }
>>
>> Here's my +1

Re: [VOTE] Deprecation strategy

Jerome Velociter
+1

Jerome.

On Feb 4, 2008 3:14 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We need a deprecation strategy, i.e. decide for how long we keep
> @deprecated methods/classes.
>
> I propose to keep them for 2 full releases after the current version
> is released as final.
>
> For example if a method is deprecated in, say Core 1.3M2 then the
> method will be removed in 1.6M1. Of course any major new release can
> deprecate anything so a XWiki 2.0 is expected to break backward
> compatibility.
>
> So for methods deprecated in 1.0 we can remove them in 1.3M1, M2, etc.
>
> WDYT?
>
> If ok then I'll add this to our dev practice guide too.
>
> Note that for this to be easy anyone deprecating methods should add
> the information of when it was deprecated. For example:
>
>      /**
>       * @param time the time in milliseconds
>       * @return the time delta in milliseconds between the current
> date and the time passed
>       *         as parameter
>       * @deprecated replaced by {@link
> com.xpn.xwiki.api.Util#getTimeDelta(long)} since 1.3M2
>       */
>      public int XWiki.getTimeDelta(long time)
>      {
>          return this.util.getTimeDelta(time);
>      }
>
> Here's my +1