[VOTE] Disable the Watchlist by default

Guillaume Delhumeau
VOTE 1: Disable the Watchlist by default and enable all Notifications
features on XWiki 10.1 RC 1
+1

VOTE 2: Disable the Watchlist by default and enable all Notifications
features on XWiki 9.12.3 so the LTS has good options enabled by default
+1

Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [VOTE] Disable the Watchlist by default

Marius Dumitru Florea
+1 for both.

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 12:20 PM, Guillaume Delhumeau <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> VOTE 1: Disable the Watchlist by default and enable all Notifications
> features on XWiki 10.1 RC 1
> +1
>
> VOTE 2: Disable the Watchlist by default and enable all Notifications
> features on XWiki 9.12.3 so the LTS has good options enabled by default
> +1

> Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
> Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
> Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [VOTE] Disable the Watchlist by default

+1 to both

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 11:23 AM, Marius Dumitru Florea
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 for both.
>
> Thanks,
> Marius
>
> On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 12:20 PM, Guillaume Delhumeau <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> VOTE 1: Disable the Watchlist by default and enable all Notifications
>> features on XWiki 10.1 RC 1
>> +1
>>
>> VOTE 2: Disable the Watchlist by default and enable all Notifications
>> features on XWiki 9.12.3 so the LTS has good options enabled by default
>> +1

>> Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
>> Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
>> Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [VOTE] Disable the Watchlist by default

Hi Guillaume/all,

> On 1 Feb 2018, at 11:20, Guillaume Delhumeau <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> VOTE 1: Disable the Watchlist by default and enable all Notifications
> features on XWiki 10.1 RC 1
> +1

Could you explain what you mean by “enable all notifications”?

Does this mean that any user by default will receive all events happening on the wiki?

If so, I don’t think I agree. All other system I know only send you notifications/emails for stuff you interact with.

This could make sense only for an admin IMO (not even sure there) but not for all users.

BTW did you port the autowatch feature to notifications?

What would make sense to me would be:
1) When enabling an app, also enable email by default
2) to auto send notifications & emails for pages that you’ve created or made changes to (including commenting on). And ofc add ability for the user to change that setting in his/her profile

> VOTE 2: Disable the Watchlist by default and enable all Notifications
> features on XWiki 9.12.3 so the LTS has good options enabled by default
> +1

So right now I’m -0 on both VOTE1 and VOTE2 till I understand better what it means.

I’m +1 to disable the watchlist by default though for both branches.

> Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
> Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
> Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [VOTE] Disable the Watchlist by default

Guillaume Delhumeau

> Hi Guillaume/all,
>
> > On 1 Feb 2018, at 11:20, Guillaume Delhumeau <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > VOTE 1: Disable the Watchlist by default and enable all Notifications
> > features on XWiki 10.1 RC 1
> > +1
>
> Could you explain what you mean by “enable all notifications”?

I meant having the "Watched Entities" (
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Notifications%20Application/#HWatchedEntities)
enabled, which mean having the toggles in the alert menu in the same place
that we had them for Watchlist. Disabling Watchlist without this is a
non-sense actually.

> Does this mean that any user by default will receive all events happening
> on the wiki?

That's an other idea. Interesting that you don't like it

> If so, I don’t think I agree. All other system I know only send you
> notifications/emails for stuff you interact with.
>
> This could make sense only for an admin IMO (not even sure there) but not
> for all users.
>
> BTW did you port the autowatch feature to notifications?

Yes but it seems I have not written the documentation for that yet.

[hidden email]> wrote:

> VOTE 1: Disable the Watchlist by default and enable all Notifications
> features on XWiki 10.1 RC 1
> +1
>
> VOTE 2: Disable the Watchlist by default and enable all Notifications
> features on XWiki 9.12.3 so the LTS has good options enabled by default
> +1

> Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
> Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
> Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [VOTE] Disable the Watchlist by default

> On 1 Feb 2018, at 12:09, Guillaume Delhumeau <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Hi Guillaume/all,
>>
>>> On 1 Feb 2018, at 11:20, Guillaume Delhumeau <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> VOTE 1: Disable the Watchlist by default and enable all Notifications
>>> features on XWiki 10.1 RC 1
>>> +1
>>
>> Could you explain what you mean by “enable all notifications”?
>>

> I meant having the "Watched Entities" (
> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Notifications%20Application/#HWatchedEntities)
> enabled, which mean having the toggles in the alert menu in the same place
> that we had them for Watchlist. Disabling Watchlist without this is a
> non-sense actually.

Ok, cool.

>> Does this mean that any user by default will receive all events happening
>> on the wiki?
>>

> That's an other idea. Interesting that you don't like it

Not sure why you said this?

>> If so, I don’t think I agree. All other system I know only send you
>> notifications/emails for stuff you interact with.
>>
>> This could make sense only for an admin IMO (not even sure there) but not
>> for all users.
>>
>> BTW did you port the autowatch feature to notifications?
>>

> Yes but it seems I have not written the documentation for that yet.
>

>> What would make sense to me would be:
>> 1) When enabling an app, also enable email by default
>> 2) to auto send notifications & emails for pages that you’ve created or
>> made changes to (including commenting on). And ofc add ability for the user
>> to change that setting in his/her profile

We need to talk about this, possibly even for 9.11.x. As is mentioned in the Roadmap this is something to discuss and Ludovic also has ideas on this topic. He’d like to have notifications sent by mail by default for the “social” aspect. Thus we need to discuss this idea and decide what we could send by default and have the use disable that if he doesn’t want it.

So +1 for both VOTE1 and VOTE2.

>>> VOTE 2: Disable the Watchlist by default and enable all Notifications
>>> features on XWiki 9.12.3 so the LTS has good options enabled by default
>>> +1
>>
>> So right now I’m -0 on both VOTE1 and VOTE2 till I understand better what
>> it means.
>>
>> I’m +1 to disable the watchlist by default though for both branches.

>>> Thanks,

Re: [VOTE] Disable the Watchlist by default

caubin

+1 for both ;

Thanks,
Clément

On 02/01/2018 12:14 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) wrote:

> +1
>
> Thanks,
> Caty
>
> On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 12:20 PM, Guillaume Delhumeau <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> VOTE 1: Disable the Watchlist by default and enable all Notifications
>> features on XWiki 10.1 RC 1
>> +1
>>
>> VOTE 2: Disable the Watchlist by default and enable all Notifications
>> features on XWiki 9.12.3 so the LTS has good options enabled by default
>> +1

>> Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
>> Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
>> Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [VOTE] Disable the Watchlist by default

Guillaume Delhumeau
Thanks you. Let's do it!