[VOTE] Drop support for IE8/IE9 in 7.x

One year ago (Mar 2014) [1] we discussed dropping support for IE8 for the
6.x cycle. The vote did not pass.

Since then, we started the support for IE10/IE11 (Jun 2014) [2].

You can see some statistics and the current browsers we support at
http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/BrowserSupportStrategy

This mail is about voting the drop of support for IE8/IE9 for cycle 7.x.
WDYT?

My +1

[1] http://markmail.org/thread/es5ghym4gphlj4mz
[2] http://markmail.org/thread/mzvcovh2da2t4e3w

Re: [VOTE] Drop support for IE8/IE9 in 7.x

Eduard Moraru
+1

Thanks,
Eduard

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 4:40 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]

> One year ago (Mar 2014) [1] we discussed dropping support for IE8 for the
> 6.x cycle. The vote did not pass.
>
> Since then, we started the support for IE10/IE11 (Jun 2014) [2].
>
> You can see some statistics and the current browsers we support at
> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/BrowserSupportStrategy
>
> This mail is about voting the drop of support for IE8/IE9 for cycle 7.x.
> WDYT?
>
> My +1
>
> Thanks,
> Caty
>

> [1] http://markmail.org/thread/es5ghym4gphlj4mz
> [2] http://markmail.org/thread/mzvcovh2da2t4e3w

Re: [VOTE] Drop support for IE8/IE9 in 7.x

Silvia Rusu
Hello,

+1

Thanks,
Silvia
Silvia Rusu
Tester & Documentation Writer - XWiki
http://twitter.com/silviarusu

Re: [VOTE] Drop support for IE8/IE9 in 7.x

+1

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 3:40 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)

On 8 Jun 2015 at 15:41:15, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) ([hidden email](mailto:[hidden email])) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> One year ago (Mar 2014) [1] we discussed dropping support for IE8 for the
> 6.x cycle. The vote did not pass.
>
> Since then, we started the support for IE10/IE11 (Jun 2014) [2].
>
> You can see some statistics and the current browsers we support at
> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/BrowserSupportStrategy
>
> This mail is about voting the drop of support for IE8/IE9 for cycle 7.x.
> WDYT?
>
> My +1

Well, IE8+9 still account for close to 30% of browser shares according to your link. Is it wise to drop a potential 30% user base? :)

What’s the current status of IE8/9 in XWiki 7.1 for example (Do we have lots of opened issues for them)?

WDYM by dropping support: Do we remove code specific to support IE8/9 now or do we just stop fixing issues raised for IE8/9 from now on and we remove the specific code in 8.0?

On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 8:49 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8 Jun 2015 at 15:41:15, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) ([hidden email](mailto:[hidden email])) wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> One year ago (Mar 2014) [1] we discussed dropping support for IE8 for the
>> 6.x cycle. The vote did not pass.
>>
>> Since then, we started the support for IE10/IE11 (Jun 2014) [2].
>>
>> You can see some statistics and the current browsers we support at
>> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/BrowserSupportStrategy
>>
>> This mail is about voting the drop of support for IE8/IE9 for cycle 7.x.
>> WDYT?
>>
>> My +1
>
> Well, IE8+9 still account for close to 30% of browser shares according to your link. Is it wise to drop a potential 30% user base? :)
>
> What’s the current status of IE8/9 in XWiki 7.1 for example (Do we have lots of opened issues for them)?
>
> WDYM by dropping support: Do we remove code specific to support IE8/9 now or do we just stop fixing issues raised for IE8/9 from now on and we remove the specific code in 8.0?

We clearly already stopped fixing issues at least for IE8 when you look at jira.

>> Caty
>>

>> [1] http://markmail.org/thread/es5ghym4gphlj4mz
>> [2] http://markmail.org/thread/mzvcovh2da2t4e3w

Re: [VOTE] Drop support for IE8/IE9 in 7.x

On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 9:49 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 8 Jun 2015 at 15:41:15, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) ([hidden email]
> (mailto:[hidden email])) wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > One year ago (Mar 2014) [1] we discussed dropping support for IE8 for the
> > 6.x cycle. The vote did not pass.
> >
> > Since then, we started the support for IE10/IE11 (Jun 2014) [2].
> >
> > You can see some statistics and the current browsers we support at
> > http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/BrowserSupportStrategy
> >
> > This mail is about voting the drop of support for IE8/IE9 for cycle 7.x.
> > WDYT?
> >
> > My +1
>
> Well, IE8+9 still account for close to 30% of browser shares according to
> your link. Is it wise to drop a potential 30% user base? :)
>
> What’s the current status of IE8/9 in XWiki 7.1 for example (Do we have
> lots of opened issues for them)?
>
> WDYM by dropping support: Do we remove code specific to support IE8/9 now
> or do we just stop fixing issues raised for IE8/9 from now on and we remove
> the specific code in 8.0?

There is a high chance the skin will work on IE8, especially since the
first versions of Flamingo was tested on IE8 and we added Respond.js and
HTML5Shiv just for this case.

Dropping support means that we will not particularly test on that version
of browser, nor prioritizing fixing issues for it. We will focus on newer
versions. We will still apply commits if contributors are interested.

Regarding fixing issues on IE8, on several occasions I fixed issues for IE8
in BFDs.

Now if you consider that the user base is still great, we could leave the
issues still open (instead of closing them as 'Not supported anymore'). The
main problem is that if you look at the Dashboard listing issues marked
with IE
http://jira.xwiki.org/issues/?filter=13809
http://jira.xwiki.org/secure/Dashboard.jspa?selectPageId=13102
all open issues (except 1) are reported by active contributors, not by
community user members. And that is because we still support the browser:
still doing tests on it and providing fixes. For such an old browser is a
waste of resources IMO.

> > Caty
> >

> > [1] http://markmail.org/thread/es5ghym4gphlj4mz
> > [2] http://markmail.org/thread/mzvcovh2da2t4e3w

Re: [VOTE] Drop support for IE8/IE9 in 7.x

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
On Monday I would like to conclude this vote's result.

So please cast your votes if there are others that want to participate.

Thank you,
Caty

On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 2:17 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]

On 9 Jun 2015 at 13:18:16, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) ([hidden email](mailto:[hidden email])) wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 9:49 AM, [hidden email]
> wrote:
>

> > On 8 Jun 2015 at 15:41:15, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) ([hidden email]
> > (mailto:[hidden email])) wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > One year ago (Mar 2014) [1] we discussed dropping support for IE8 for the
> > > 6.x cycle. The vote did not pass.
> > >
> > > Since then, we started the support for IE10/IE11 (Jun 2014) [2].
> > >
> > > You can see some statistics and the current browsers we support at
> > > http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/BrowserSupportStrategy
> > >
> > > This mail is about voting the drop of support for IE8/IE9 for cycle 7.x.
> > > WDYT?
> > >
> > > My +1
> >
> > Well, IE8+9 still account for close to 30% of browser shares according to
> > your link. Is it wise to drop a potential 30% user base? :)
> >
> > What’s the current status of IE8/9 in XWiki 7.1 for example (Do we have
> > lots of opened issues for them)?
> >
> > WDYM by dropping support: Do we remove code specific to support IE8/9 now
> > or do we just stop fixing issues raised for IE8/9 from now on and we remove
> > the specific code in 8.0?
> >

> There is a high chance the skin will work on IE8, especially since the
> first versions of Flamingo was tested on IE8 and we added Respond.js and
> HTML5Shiv just for this case.
>
> Dropping support means that we will not particularly test on that version
> of browser, nor prioritizing fixing issues for it. We will focus on newer
> versions. We will still apply commits if contributors are interested.
>
> Regarding fixing issues on IE8, on several occasions I fixed issues for IE8
> in BFDs.
>
> Now if you consider that the user base is still great, we could leave the
> issues still open (instead of closing them as 'Not supported anymore'). The
> main problem is that if you look at the Dashboard listing issues marked
> with IE
> http://jira.xwiki.org/issues/?filter=13809
> http://jira.xwiki.org/secure/Dashboard.jspa?selectPageId=13102
> all open issues (except 1) are reported by active contributors, not by
> community user members. And that is because we still support the browser:
> still doing tests on it and providing fixes. For such an old browser is a
> waste of resources IMO.

+0

> Caty

> > > Thanks,
> > > Caty
> > >

> > > [1] http://markmail.org/thread/es5ghym4gphlj4mz
> > > [2] http://markmail.org/thread/mzvcovh2da2t4e3w

Re: [VOTE] Drop support for IE8/IE9 in 7.x

1x(+1 non-binding)
1x(+0)

The vote has passed.
I've updated