Quantcast

[VOTE] Get rid of xwiki-enterprise-archetype module

[VOTE] Get rid of xwiki-enterprise-archetype module

Maintaining something like xwiki-enterprise-archetype is a pain and
really does not worth it IMO since it's probably not used at all. And
as you can see from the history it's never really been maintained
after it's introduction 3 years ago and XE changed a lot since that
time.

We should simply get rid of it IMO. If someone really wants to provide
something like this it can be done in Contrib. In the meantime
copy/pasting XE and modify the few things you need to modify is not
very hard i you want to introduce a new XWiki distribution (and if
flavor is not enough for you).

WDYT ?

Re: [VOTE] Get rid of xwiki-enterprise-archetype module

Marius Dumitru Florea
+0

I've never used it.

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 4:48 PM, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>

> Maintaining something like xwiki-enterprise-archetype is a pain and
> really does not worth it IMO since it's probably not used at all. And
> as you can see from the history it's never really been maintained
> after it's introduction 3 years ago and XE changed a lot since that
> time.
>
> We should simply get rid of it IMO. If someone really wants to provide
> something like this it can be done in Contrib. In the meantime
> copy/pasting XE and modify the few things you need to modify is not
> very hard i you want to introduce a new XWiki distribution (and if
> flavor is not enough for you).
>
> WDYT ?

Re: [VOTE] Get rid of xwiki-enterprise-archetype module

> On 17 Feb 2017, at 15:48, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi devs,
>
> Maintaining something like xwiki-enterprise-archetype is a pain and
> really does not worth it IMO since it's probably not used at all. And
> as you can see from the history it's never really been maintained
> after it's introduction 3 years ago and XE changed a lot since that
> time.
>
> We should simply get rid of it IMO. If someone really wants to provide
> something like this it can be done in Contrib. In the meantime
> copy/pasting XE and modify the few things you need to modify is not
> very hard i you want to introduce a new XWiki distribution (and if
> flavor is not enough for you).
>
> WDYT ?

I have to recognise that it’s probably not used much but I did spend a significant amount of time to create it ;) (AFAIR I originally created it for Guillaume Delhumeau who needed a simple way to create a new distribution based on XE). FTR I had documented it at http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/XEArchetype (available from http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/edit/Community/Building?editor=inline#HBuildTools).

I still believe there’s a need (albeit a small one) and ideally the best persons placed to develop such archetype is the XWiki Core dev team. Now I’m ok if we want to move it to Contrib.

Thus my +0