[VOTE] Make Toucan the default skin in 1.3M2

[VOTE] Make Toucan the default skin in 1.3M2

I'm proposing to make toucan the default skin in 1.3M2. Several reasons:

1) It's nicer and cleaner than Albatross
2) If we want to get feedback on it we need it to make it the default.
It's important to do this now so that we can deliver a perfect Toucan
for 1.3 final
3) One of the highlight of the 1.3 release is the new skin

Here's a big +1 from me.

Re: [VOTE] Make Toucan the default skin in 1.3M2

Guillaume Lerouge
+1 too (not binding) .

I like that skin very much :-)

Guillaume

On 14/02/2008, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I'm proposing to make toucan the default skin in 1.3M2. Several reasons:

1) It's nicer and cleaner than Albatross
2) If we want to get feedback on it we need it to make it the default.
It's important to do this now so that we can deliver a perfect Toucan
for 1.3 final
3) One of the highlight of the 1.3 release is the new skin

Here's a big +1 from me.

http://wikibc.blogspot.com/

Re: [VOTE] Make Toucan the default skin in 1.3M2

Jean-Vincent Drean
+1

Very nice skin :)

JV.

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 1:55 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  I'm proposing to make toucan the default skin in 1.3M2. Several reasons:
>
>  1) It's nicer and cleaner than Albatross
>  2) If we want to get feedback on it we need it to make it the default.
>  It's important to do this now so that we can deliver a perfect Toucan
>  for 1.3 final
>  3) One of the highlight of the 1.3 release is the new skin
>
>  Here's a big +1 from me.
>
>  Thanks
>  -Vincent

Re: [VOTE] Make Toucan the default skin in 1.3M2

+1

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 1:55 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  I'm proposing to make toucan the default skin in 1.3M2. Several reasons:
>
>  1) It's nicer and cleaner than Albatross
>  2) If we want to get feedback on it we need it to make it the default.
>  It's important to do this now so that we can deliver a perfect Toucan
>  for 1.3 final
>  3) One of the highlight of the 1.3 release is the new skin
>
>  Here's a big +1 from me.
>
>  Thanks
>  -Vincent

Re: [VOTE] Make Toucan the default skin in 1.3M2

Jerome Velociter
+1

> Hi,
>
> I'm proposing to make toucan the default skin in 1.3M2. Several reasons:
>
> 1) It's nicer and cleaner than Albatross
> 2) If we want to get feedback on it we need it to make it the default.
> It's important to do this now so that we can deliver a perfect Toucan
> for 1.3 final
> 3) One of the highlight of the 1.3 release is the new skin
>
> Here's a big +1 from me.

Re: [VOTE] Make Toucan the default skin in 1.3M2

Asiri Rathnayake
+1 (not counting)

Cooool skin...

- Asiri

Hi,

Vincent Massol wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm proposing to make toucan the default skin in 1.3M2. Several reasons:
>
> 1) It's nicer and cleaner than Albatross
> 2) If we want to get feedback on it we need it to make it the default.
> It's important to do this now so that we can deliver a perfect Toucan
> for 1.3 final
> 3) One of the highlight of the 1.3 release is the new skin
>
> Here's a big +1 from me.

+1 (item 2 convinced me), with the condition that the effort should go
mainly into the cleanup process of Albatross/default templates, and not
into improving Toucan by forking files. So far we managed to keep the
number of forked files pretty small, which is good.
http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Re: [VOTE] Make Toucan the default skin in 1.3M2

We have a problem. The Toucan skins works fine on FF but not on IE6/7.
There are still some known issues as indicated on:

http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XSTOUCAN-1#action_22947

Laurent doesn't have the time to work on this anymore for the 1.3M2
release. Hopefully he'll get some time to finish it for the 1.3RC1
release.

In light of this it's probably not good to make the Toucan skin the
default skin in 1.3M2. However I think we should still bundle it so
that we let users report any issue they see with it.

Let me know if you don't agree.

On Feb 14, 2008, at 1:55 PM, Vincent Massol wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm proposing to make toucan the default skin in 1.3M2. Several
> reasons:
>
> 1) It's nicer and cleaner than Albatross
> 2) If we want to get feedback on it we need it to make it the default.
> It's important to do this now so that we can deliver a perfect Toucan
> for 1.3 final
> 3) One of the highlight of the 1.3 release is the new skin
>
> Here's a big +1 from me.

Re: [VOTE] Make Toucan the default skin in 1.3M2

Sergiu Dumitriu-2
Vincent Massol wrote:

> We have a problem. The Toucan skins works fine on FF but not on IE6/7.
> There are still some known issues as indicated on:
>
> http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XSTOUCAN-1#action_22947
>
> Laurent doesn't have the time to work on this anymore for the 1.3M2
> release. Hopefully he'll get some time to finish it for the 1.3RC1
> release.
>
> In light of this it's probably not good to make the Toucan skin the
> default skin in 1.3M2. However I think we should still bundle it so
> that we let users report any issue they see with it.
>
> Let me know if you don't agree.

Milestones are not meant to be used in production environments, right?
They are more for testing/feedback. If we want to have a stable Toucan,
I say we should push it forward, maybe with an additional warning in the
release notes that Toucan is in a testing phase, and should not be
pushed on public websites.

I'll also try to fix some of the skin issues by Monday.

http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

On Feb 15, 2008, at 9:56 PM, Sergiu Dumitriu wrote:

> Vincent Massol wrote:
>> We have a problem. The Toucan skins works fine on FF but not on
>> IE6/7.
>> There are still some known issues as indicated on:
>>
>> http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XSTOUCAN-1#action_22947
>>
>> Laurent doesn't have the time to work on this anymore for the 1.3M2
>> release. Hopefully he'll get some time to finish it for the 1.3RC1
>> release.
>>
>> In light of this it's probably not good to make the Toucan skin the
>> default skin in 1.3M2. However I think we should still bundle it so
>> that we let users report any issue they see with it.
>>
>> Let me know if you don't agree.
>>

> Milestones are not meant to be used in production environments, right?
> They are more for testing/feedback. If we want to have a stable
> Toucan,
> I say we should push it forward, maybe with an additional warning in
> the
> release notes that Toucan is in a testing phase, and should not be
> pushed on public websites.

It's not even about public web sites. It's just that it's not working
on IE very well.

> I'll also try to fix some of the skin issues by Monday.

That's cool. If we can fix the main issues (panel wizard + the debug
dialog boxes) then we could make it the main skin.

However I'd rather we don't delay the release too much. Laurent can
also work on it during the RC1 phase. Delaying by 1 business day is ok
though. So if we can release on Tuesday then we're still fine I think.

>> On Feb 14, 2008, at 1:55 PM, Vincent Massol wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm proposing to make toucan the default skin in 1.3M2. Several
>>> reasons:
>>>
>>> 1) It's nicer and cleaner than Albatross
>>> 2) If we want to get feedback on it we need it to make it the
>>> default.
>>> It's important to do this now so that we can deliver a perfect
>>> Toucan
>>> for 1.3 final
>>> 3) One of the highlight of the 1.3 release is the new skin
>>>
>>> Here's a big +1 from me.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> -Vincent
>
> --
> Sergiu Dumitriu
> http://purl.org/net/sergiu/

Re: [VOTE] Make Toucan the default skin in 1.3M2

After some thoughts, I agree with Sergiu about making the Toucan skin
the default skin in 1.3M2 even though there are still some issues in
IE as described on
http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XSTOUCAN-1

This will allow to get more feedback from users and prepare us for the
final 1.3 release.