[VOTE] Move XWiki Eclipse to Contrib

There is not much activity for XWiki Eclipse since there are no current
active developers working on improving the project.

Since XWiki Eclipse is something interesting and useful, we might not want
to retire it, but instead we could mark it as Contrib. This means:

* Move JIRA's XWiki Eclipse 'XECLIPSE' project from 'Top Level Projects' in
'XWiki Contributed Projects'. This would also help us better manage the
number of open issues that are relevant and that we can work on. Right now
there are 51 issues open for this project.
http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XECLIPSE
* Move https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-eclipse to
https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/
* Move documentation found on http://xeclipse.xwiki.org/ on a page on
extensions.xwiki.org (Installation, User Guide, Release Notes)
* Remove xeclipse.xwiki.org
* Update xwiki.org to mark this move (menu, footer, download page, All
Projects page in order to still make the project accessible)

Tell me what you think,

Re: [VOTE] Move XWiki Eclipse to Contrib

Fabio Mancinelli-4
On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)

> There is not much activity for XWiki Eclipse since there are no current
> active developers working on improving the project.
>
> Since XWiki Eclipse is something interesting and useful, we might not want
> to retire it, but instead we could mark it as Contrib. This means:
>
> * Move JIRA's XWiki Eclipse 'XECLIPSE' project from 'Top Level Projects' in
> 'XWiki Contributed Projects'. This would also help us better manage the
> number of open issues that are relevant and that we can work on. Right now
> there are 51 issues open for this project.
> http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XECLIPSE
> * Move https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-eclipse to
> https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/
> * Move documentation found on http://xeclipse.xwiki.org/ on a page on
> extensions.xwiki.org (Installation, User Guide, Release Notes)
> * Remove xeclipse.xwiki.org
> * Update xwiki.org to mark this move (menu, footer, download page, All
> Projects page in order to still make the project accessible)
>
> Tell me what you think,
> Caty

+1

I think it's a good move... and if it gets revived we could move it back.

-Fabio

Re: [VOTE] Move XWiki Eclipse to Contrib

sorinello
+1

If someone wants to maintain it, we could move it back

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 12:50 PM, Fabio Mancinelli <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > There is not much activity for XWiki Eclipse since there are no current
> > active developers working on improving the project.
> >
> > Since XWiki Eclipse is something interesting and useful, we might not
> want
> > to retire it, but instead we could mark it as Contrib. This means:
> >
> > * Move JIRA's XWiki Eclipse 'XECLIPSE' project from 'Top Level Projects'
> in
> > 'XWiki Contributed Projects'. This would also help us better manage the
> > number of open issues that are relevant and that we can work on. Right
> now
> > there are 51 issues open for this project.
> > http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XECLIPSE
> > * Move https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-eclipse to
> > https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/
> > * Move documentation found on http://xeclipse.xwiki.org/ on a page on
> > extensions.xwiki.org (Installation, User Guide, Release Notes)
> > * Remove xeclipse.xwiki.org
> > * Update xwiki.org to mark this move (menu, footer, download page, All
> > Projects page in order to still make the project accessible)
> >
> > Tell me what you think,
> > Caty
> >
> +1
>
> I think it's a good move... and if it gets revived we could move it back.
>
> -Fabio

Re: [VOTE] Move XWiki Eclipse to Contrib

Big +1 since that's the reality.

Note that anyone can work on it in contrib and do releases there and it doesn't have to be moved back to being maintained by the XWiki Development Team (unless we want to of course ;)).

On May 2, 2013, at 11:20 AM, "Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> There is not much activity for XWiki Eclipse since there are no current
> active developers working on improving the project.
>
> Since XWiki Eclipse is something interesting and useful, we might not want
> to retire it, but instead we could mark it as Contrib. This means:
>
> * Move JIRA's XWiki Eclipse 'XECLIPSE' project from 'Top Level Projects' in
> 'XWiki Contributed Projects'. This would also help us better manage the
> number of open issues that are relevant and that we can work on. Right now
> there are 51 issues open for this project.
> http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XECLIPSE
> * Move https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-eclipse to
> https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/
> * Move documentation found on http://xeclipse.xwiki.org/ on a page on
> extensions.xwiki.org (Installation, User Guide, Release Notes)
> * Remove xeclipse.xwiki.org
> * Update xwiki.org to mark this move (menu, footer, download page, All
> Projects page in order to still make the project accessible)
>
> Tell me what you think,
> Caty

Re: [VOTE] Move XWiki Eclipse to Contrib

Just for the record, I still believe a lot in XWiki Eclipse and it could be a killer extension if it were updated to work with latest syntax and got a few fixes to iron out the main productivity issues :)

On May 2, 2013, at 12:00 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Big +1 since that's the reality.
>
> Note that anyone can work on it in contrib and do releases there and it doesn't have to be moved back to being maintained by the XWiki Development Team (unless we want to of course ;)).

> On May 2, 2013, at 11:20 AM, "Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> There is not much activity for XWiki Eclipse since there are no current
>> active developers working on improving the project.
>>
>> Since XWiki Eclipse is something interesting and useful, we might not want
>> to retire it, but instead we could mark it as Contrib. This means:
>>
>> * Move JIRA's XWiki Eclipse 'XECLIPSE' project from 'Top Level Projects' in
>> 'XWiki Contributed Projects'. This would also help us better manage the
>> number of open issues that are relevant and that we can work on. Right now
>> there are 51 issues open for this project.
>> http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XECLIPSE
>> * Move https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-eclipse to
>> https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/
>> * Move documentation found on http://xeclipse.xwiki.org/ on a page on
>> extensions.xwiki.org (Installation, User Guide, Release Notes)
>> * Remove xeclipse.xwiki.org
>> * Update xwiki.org to mark this move (menu, footer, download page, All
>> Projects page in order to still make the project accessible)
>>
>> Tell me what you think,
>> Caty

Re: [VOTE] Move XWiki Eclipse to Contrib

+1

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)

> There is not much activity for XWiki Eclipse since there are no current
> active developers working on improving the project.
>
> Since XWiki Eclipse is something interesting and useful, we might not want
> to retire it, but instead we could mark it as Contrib. This means:
>
> * Move JIRA's XWiki Eclipse 'XECLIPSE' project from 'Top Level Projects' in
> 'XWiki Contributed Projects'. This would also help us better manage the
> number of open issues that are relevant and that we can work on. Right now
> there are 51 issues open for this project.
> http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XECLIPSE
> * Move https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-eclipse to
> https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/
> * Move documentation found on http://xeclipse.xwiki.org/ on a page on
> extensions.xwiki.org (Installation, User Guide, Release Notes)
> * Remove xeclipse.xwiki.org
> * Update xwiki.org to mark this move (menu, footer, download page, All
> Projects page in order to still make the project accessible)
>
> Tell me what you think,
> Caty

Re: [VOTE] Move XWiki Eclipse to Contrib

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
Eduard had a concern about visibility and differentiation on the Contrib
repo. He said that would be interesting if we could promote some projects
there, but I don't know how we could do that.

From my part +1

On May 2, 2013, at 12:12 PM, "Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Eduard had a concern about visibility and differentiation on the Contrib
> repo. He said that would be interesting if we could promote some projects
> there, but I don't know how we could do that.

We do that already on 2 pages:
* http://contrib.xwiki.org/
* http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/Forge

Isn't that enough?

Note that we don't want to promote these too much either IMO since we're moving them out for a good reason: they've not been maintained for a long time now and they probably have issues with latest versions of XWiki.

> From my part +1
>
> Thanks,
> Caty
>

> On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 1:06 PM, Thomas Mortagne
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> +1
>>
>> On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi devs,
>>>
>>> There is not much activity for XWiki Eclipse since there are no current
>>> active developers working on improving the project.
>>>
>>> Since XWiki Eclipse is something interesting and useful, we might not
>> want
>>> to retire it, but instead we could mark it as Contrib. This means:
>>>
>>> * Move JIRA's XWiki Eclipse 'XECLIPSE' project from 'Top Level Projects'
>> in
>>> 'XWiki Contributed Projects'. This would also help us better manage the
>>> number of open issues that are relevant and that we can work on. Right
>> now
>>> there are 51 issues open for this project.
>>> http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XECLIPSE
>>> * Move https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-eclipse to
>>> https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/
>>> * Move documentation found on http://xeclipse.xwiki.org/ on a page on
>>> extensions.xwiki.org (Installation, User Guide, Release Notes)
>>> * Remove xeclipse.xwiki.org
>>> * Update xwiki.org to mark this move (menu, footer, download page, All
>>> Projects page in order to still make the project accessible)
>>>
>>> Tell me what you think,
>>> Caty

Re: [VOTE] Move XWiki Eclipse to Contrib

Denis Gervalle-2
+1

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 12:12 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Eduard had a concern about visibility and differentiation on the Contrib
> repo. He said that would be interesting if we could promote some projects
> there, but I don't know how we could do that.
>
> From my part +1
>
> Thanks,
> Caty
>

> On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 1:06 PM, Thomas Mortagne
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> > +1
> >
> > On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hi devs,
> > >
> > > There is not much activity for XWiki Eclipse since there are no current
> > > active developers working on improving the project.
> > >
> > > Since XWiki Eclipse is something interesting and useful, we might not
> > want
> > > to retire it, but instead we could mark it as Contrib. This means:
> > >
> > > * Move JIRA's XWiki Eclipse 'XECLIPSE' project from 'Top Level
> Projects'
> > in
> > > 'XWiki Contributed Projects'. This would also help us better manage the
> > > number of open issues that are relevant and that we can work on. Right
> > now
> > > there are 51 issues open for this project.
> > > http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XECLIPSE
> > > * Move https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-eclipse to
> > > https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/
> > > * Move documentation found on http://xeclipse.xwiki.org/ on a page on
> > > extensions.xwiki.org (Installation, User Guide, Release Notes)
> > > * Remove xeclipse.xwiki.org
> > > * Update xwiki.org to mark this move (menu, footer, download page, All
> > > Projects page in order to still make the project accessible)
> > >
> > > Tell me what you think,
> > > Caty

> > Thomas Mortagne

Denis Gervalle
SOFTEC sa - CEO
eGuilde sarl - CTO

Re: [VOTE] Move XWiki Eclipse to Contrib

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
Results: 6 "+1", 0 "0" and no -1, the vote is passed.

Vincent and I are starting the move.

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 2:31 PM, Denis Gervalle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>

> On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 12:12 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Eduard had a concern about visibility and differentiation on the Contrib
> > repo. He said that would be interesting if we could promote some projects
> > there, but I don't know how we could do that.
> >
> > From my part +1
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Caty
> >

> > On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 1:06 PM, Thomas Mortagne
> > <[hidden email]>wrote:
> >
> > > +1

> current

> > > want

> > Projects'
> > > in
> the
> Right
> > > now
> on
> All

> > > --
> > > Thomas Mortagne

> Denis Gervalle
> SOFTEC sa - CEO
> eGuilde sarl - CTO

Re: [VOTE] Move XWiki Eclipse to Contrib

Guillaume Lerouge
I thought the plan was to wait until next Thursday to do this move ;-)

Guillaume

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 2:29 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Results: 6 "+1", 0 "0" and no -1, the vote is passed.
>
> Vincent and I are starting the move.
>
> Thanks
> Caty
>
> On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 2:31 PM, Denis Gervalle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > +1
> >

> > On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 12:12 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Eduard had a concern about visibility and differentiation on the
> Contrib
> > > repo. He said that would be interesting if we could promote some
> projects
> > > there, but I don't know how we could do that.
> > >
> > > From my part +1
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Caty

> > current

> not

> > > Projects'
> > the
> > Right
> > on
> > All

> > Denis Gervalle
> > SOFTEC sa - CEO
> > eGuilde sarl - CTO

Re: [VOTE] Move XWiki Eclipse to Contrib

Done, new XEclipse home page:
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/XWiki+Eclipse