Quantcast

[VOTE] Move from our mailing lists and use Discourse instead

12

[VOTE] Move from our mailing lists and use Discourse instead

I’m proposing to vote for moving away from our users and devs mailing list and instead to use the Discourse open source tool:

* Home page: http://www.discourse.org/
* License: GPL v2
* FAQ: http://www.discourse.org/faq/
* Awesome feature list: http://www.discourse.org/about/

What is especially interesting for us:
* It works with mailing lists (you can receive mails and send mails to the forum).
* Works as a forum. BTW if you want to see a real life instance, check the gradle instance at https://discuss.gradle.org/

Nice things:
* Works on mobile
* Comprehensive API (would allow us to integrate it with xwiki.org)
* Badges/user metrics

So here’s my +1 to try it out and ask XWiki SAS if they could host an instance.

WDYT? Do you see any negative point (I don’t ATM)? :)

Please cast your votes!

Re: [VOTE] Move from our mailing lists and use Discourse instead

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
I guess we can try it.

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 1:18 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> I’m proposing to vote for moving away from our users and devs mailing list
> and instead to use the Discourse open source tool:
>
> * Home page: http://www.discourse.org/
> * License: GPL v2
> * FAQ: http://www.discourse.org/faq/
> * Awesome feature list: http://www.discourse.org/about/
>
> What is especially interesting for us:
> * It works with mailing lists (you can receive mails and send mails to the
> forum).
> * Works as a forum. BTW if you want to see a real life instance, check the
> gradle instance at https://discuss.gradle.org/
>
> Nice things:
> * Works on mobile
> * Comprehensive API (would allow us to integrate it with xwiki.org)
> * Badges/user metrics
>
> So here’s my +1 to try it out and ask XWiki SAS if they could host an
> instance.
>
> WDYT? Do you see any negative point (I don’t ATM)? :)
>
> Please cast your votes!

Re: [VOTE] Move from our mailing lists and use Discourse instead

Keith Davis
FWIW, I am an admin over a private Discourse forum as far as forum software
goes, it's pretty darn good and as Vincent said, I do use the mailing list
option, so most of the time I just keep up to date via email, but then have
the power discussion options of the forum when needed.

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 5:45 AM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I guess we can try it.
>
> Thanks,
> Caty
>
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 1:18 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > I’m proposing to vote for moving away from our users and devs mailing
> list
> > and instead to use the Discourse open source tool:
> >
> > * Home page: http://www.discourse.org/
> > * License: GPL v2
> > * FAQ: http://www.discourse.org/faq/
> > * Awesome feature list: http://www.discourse.org/about/
> >
> > What is especially interesting for us:
> > * It works with mailing lists (you can receive mails and send mails to
> the
> > forum).
> > * Works as a forum. BTW if you want to see a real life instance, check
> the
> > gradle instance at https://discuss.gradle.org/
> >
> > Nice things:
> > * Works on mobile
> > * Comprehensive API (would allow us to integrate it with xwiki.org)
> > * Badges/user metrics
> >
> > So here’s my +1 to try it out and ask XWiki SAS if they could host an
> > instance.
> >
> > WDYT? Do you see any negative point (I don’t ATM)? :)
> >
> > Please cast your votes!

Keith Davis
214-906-5183

Re: [VOTE] Move from our mailing lists and use Discourse instead

Denis Gervalle-2
+1, looks awesome and can be SSO integrated I hope it will give us the best of both worlds. I wonder if we can also reintegrate the archives.

--
Denis Gervalle
SOFTEC sa - CEO

[hidden email]> wrote:

> I guess we can try it.
>
> Thanks,
> Caty
>
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 1:18 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > I’m proposing to vote for moving away from our users and devs mailing
> list
> > and instead to use the Discourse open source tool:
> >
> > * Home page: http://www.discourse.org/
> > * License: GPL v2
> > * FAQ: http://www.discourse.org/faq/
> > * Awesome feature list: http://www.discourse.org/about/
> >
> > What is especially interesting for us:
> > * It works with mailing lists (you can receive mails and send mails to
> the
> > forum).
> > * Works as a forum. BTW if you want to see a real life instance, check
> the
> > gradle instance at https://discuss.gradle.org/
> >
> > Nice things:
> > * Works on mobile
> > * Comprehensive API (would allow us to integrate it with xwiki.org)
> > * Badges/user metrics
> >
> > So here’s my +1 to try it out and ask XWiki SAS if they could host an
> > instance.
> >
> > WDYT? Do you see any negative point (I don’t ATM)? :)
> >
> > Please cast your votes!

Keith Davis
214-906-5183

Re: [VOTE] Move from our mailing lists and use Discourse instead

Eduard Moraru
Hi,

Sounds interesting. Hope it won`t be complicated to host it ourselves and
that we won`t have service interruptions due to hosting problems.

Also, it would be interesting if it would also accept guest posts (i.e. no
registration just to ask a question).

+1 from my side to try it out.

Thanks,
Eduard

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 3:55 PM, Denis Gervalle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1, looks awesome and can be SSO integrated I hope it will give us the
> best of both worlds. I wonder if we can also reintegrate the archives.
>
> --
> Denis Gervalle
> SOFTEC sa - CEO
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 13:43, Keith Davis <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> FWIW, I am an admin over a private Discourse forum as far as forum software
> option, so most of the time I just keep up to date via email, but then have
> the power discussion options of the forum when needed.
>
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 5:45 AM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I guess we can try it.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Caty
> >
> > On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 1:18 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi devs,
> > >
> > > I’m proposing to vote for moving away from our users and devs mailing
> > list
> > > and instead to use the Discourse open source tool:
> > >
> > > * Home page: http://www.discourse.org/
> > > * License: GPL v2
> > > * FAQ: http://www.discourse.org/faq/
> > > * Awesome feature list: http://www.discourse.org/about/
> > >
> > > What is especially interesting for us:
> > > * It works with mailing lists (you can receive mails and send mails to
> > the
> > > forum).
> > > * Works as a forum. BTW if you want to see a real life instance, check
> > the
> > > gradle instance at https://discuss.gradle.org/
> > >
> > > Nice things:
> > > * Works on mobile
> > > * Comprehensive API (would allow us to integrate it with xwiki.org)
> > > * Badges/user metrics
> > >
> > > So here’s my +1 to try it out and ask XWiki SAS if they could host an
> > > instance.
> > >
> > > WDYT? Do you see any negative point (I don’t ATM)? :)
> > >
> > > Please cast your votes!
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > -Vincent
> > >

> --
> Keith Davis
> 214-906-5183

Re: [VOTE] Move from our mailing lists and use Discourse instead

Looked over the features, seems to cover most of my concerns except one:
migrating the current mailing list archives (at least I couldn't see it
in the features list). Do we care about that? Can it be scripted using
the API?

Anyway, +1.

On 02/24/2017 06:18 AM, Vincent Massol wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> I’m proposing to vote for moving away from our users and devs mailing list and instead to use the Discourse open source tool:
>
> * Home page: http://www.discourse.org/
> * License: GPL v2
> * FAQ: http://www.discourse.org/faq/
> * Awesome feature list: http://www.discourse.org/about/
>
> What is especially interesting for us:
> * It works with mailing lists (you can receive mails and send mails to the forum).
> * Works as a forum. BTW if you want to see a real life instance, check the gradle instance at https://discuss.gradle.org/
>
> Nice things:
> * Works on mobile
> * Comprehensive API (would allow us to integrate it with xwiki.org)
> * Badges/user metrics
>
> So here’s my +1 to try it out and ask XWiki SAS if they could host an instance.
>
> WDYT? Do you see any negative point (I don’t ATM)? :)
>
> Please cast your votes!

http://purl.org/net/sergiu

Re: [VOTE] Move from our mailing lists and use Discourse instead

Interesting plugin:
* Solved plugin: https://meta.discourse.org/t/discourse-solved-accepted-answer-plugin/30155

@Sergiu: here’s a script to import from mailman mbox files: https://meta.discourse.org/t/import-mailman-archives-into-discourse/18537/9

However I’m not sure if it’s a good thing or not, see https://meta.discourse.org/t/import-mailman-archives-into-discourse/18537/2. We could try and see what it gives us.

> On 24 Feb 2017, at 12:18, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi devs,
>
> I’m proposing to vote for moving away from our users and devs mailing list and instead to use the Discourse open source tool:
>
> * Home page: http://www.discourse.org/
> * License: GPL v2
> * FAQ: http://www.discourse.org/faq/
> * Awesome feature list: http://www.discourse.org/about/
>
> What is especially interesting for us:
> * It works with mailing lists (you can receive mails and send mails to the forum).
> * Works as a forum. BTW if you want to see a real life instance, check the gradle instance at https://discuss.gradle.org/
>
> Nice things:
> * Works on mobile
> * Comprehensive API (would allow us to integrate it with xwiki.org)
> * Badges/user metrics
>
> So here’s my +1 to try it out and ask XWiki SAS if they could host an instance.
>
> WDYT? Do you see any negative point (I don’t ATM)? :)
>
> Please cast your votes!

Re: [VOTE] Move from our mailing lists and use Discourse instead

Guillaume Delhumeau
+1

> Interesting plugin:
> * Solved plugin: https://meta.discourse.org/t/discourse-solved-accepted-
> answer-plugin/30155
>
> @Sergiu: here’s a script to import from mailman mbox files:
> https://meta.discourse.org/t/import-mailman-archives-into-
> discourse/18537/9
>
> However I’m not sure if it’s a good thing or not, see
> https://meta.discourse.org/t/import-mailman-archives-into-
> discourse/18537/2. We could try and see what it gives us.

> > On 24 Feb 2017, at 12:18, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > I’m proposing to vote for moving away from our users and devs mailing
> list and instead to use the Discourse open source tool:
> >
> > * Home page: http://www.discourse.org/
> > * License: GPL v2
> > * FAQ: http://www.discourse.org/faq/
> > * Awesome feature list: http://www.discourse.org/about/
> >
> > What is especially interesting for us:
> > * It works with mailing lists (you can receive mails and send mails to
> the forum).
> > * Works as a forum. BTW if you want to see a real life instance, check
> the gradle instance at https://discuss.gradle.org/
> >
> > Nice things:
> > * Works on mobile
> > * Comprehensive API (would allow us to integrate it with xwiki.org)
> > * Badges/user metrics
> >
> > So here’s my +1 to try it out and ask XWiki SAS if they could host an
> instance.
> >
> > WDYT? Do you see any negative point (I don’t ATM)? :)
> >
> > Please cast your votes!

Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [VOTE] Move from our mailing lists and use Discourse instead

Looks good. As long as I can continue using it as a mailing list and
not forced to go to some forum to know if there is new messages I'm
fine.

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 10:02 AM, Guillaume Delhumeau
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1

>> Interesting plugin:
>> * Solved plugin: https://meta.discourse.org/t/discourse-solved-accepted-
>> answer-plugin/30155
>>
>> @Sergiu: here’s a script to import from mailman mbox files:
>> https://meta.discourse.org/t/import-mailman-archives-into-
>> discourse/18537/9
>>
>> However I’m not sure if it’s a good thing or not, see
>> https://meta.discourse.org/t/import-mailman-archives-into-
>> discourse/18537/2. We could try and see what it gives us.

>> > On 24 Feb 2017, at 12:18, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi devs,
>> >
>> > I’m proposing to vote for moving away from our users and devs mailing
>> list and instead to use the Discourse open source tool:
>> >
>> > * Home page: http://www.discourse.org/
>> > * License: GPL v2
>> > * FAQ: http://www.discourse.org/faq/
>> > * Awesome feature list: http://www.discourse.org/about/
>> >
>> > What is especially interesting for us:
>> > * It works with mailing lists (you can receive mails and send mails to
>> the forum).
>> > * Works as a forum. BTW if you want to see a real life instance, check
>> the gradle instance at https://discuss.gradle.org/
>> >
>> > Nice things:
>> > * Works on mobile
>> > * Comprehensive API (would allow us to integrate it with xwiki.org)
>> > * Badges/user metrics
>> >
>> > So here’s my +1 to try it out and ask XWiki SAS if they could host an
>> instance.
>> >
>> > WDYT? Do you see any negative point (I don’t ATM)? :)
>> >
>> > Please cast your votes!
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > -Vincent
>> >

> --
> Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
> Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
> Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [VOTE] Move from our mailing lists and use Discourse instead

+1 to try it out.

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 1:18 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> I’m proposing to vote for moving away from our users and devs mailing list
> and instead to use the Discourse open source tool:
>
> * Home page: http://www.discourse.org/
> * License: GPL v2
> * FAQ: http://www.discourse.org/faq/
> * Awesome feature list: http://www.discourse.org/about/
>
> What is especially interesting for us:
> * It works with mailing lists (you can receive mails and send mails to the
> forum).
> * Works as a forum. BTW if you want to see a real life instance, check the
> gradle instance at https://discuss.gradle.org/
>
> Nice things:
> * Works on mobile
> * Comprehensive API (would allow us to integrate it with xwiki.org)
> * Badges/user metrics
>
> So here’s my +1 to try it out and ask XWiki SAS if they could host an
> instance.
>
> WDYT? Do you see any negative point (I don’t ATM)? :)
>
> Please cast your votes!

Re: [VOTE] Move from our mailing lists and use Discourse instead

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
https://blog.discourse.org/2016/03/free-discourse-forum-hosting-for-community-friendly-github-projects/
They offer free hosting to open source projects if the repo has more than
30 contributors and 2000+ stars.

We have 55 contributors and 214 stars. We could make a campaign to get more
stars :)

On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 11:18 AM, Marius Dumitru Florea <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 to try it out.
>
> Thanks,
> Marius
>
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 1:18 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > I’m proposing to vote for moving away from our users and devs mailing
> list
> > and instead to use the Discourse open source tool:
> >
> > * Home page: http://www.discourse.org/
> > * License: GPL v2
> > * FAQ: http://www.discourse.org/faq/
> > * Awesome feature list: http://www.discourse.org/about/
> >
> > What is especially interesting for us:
> > * It works with mailing lists (you can receive mails and send mails to
> the
> > forum).
> > * Works as a forum. BTW if you want to see a real life instance, check
> the
> > gradle instance at https://discuss.gradle.org/
> >
> > Nice things:
> > * Works on mobile
> > * Comprehensive API (would allow us to integrate it with xwiki.org)
> > * Badges/user metrics
> >
> > So here’s my +1 to try it out and ask XWiki SAS if they could host an
> > instance.
> >
> > WDYT? Do you see any negative point (I don’t ATM)? :)
> >
> > Please cast your votes!

Re: [VOTE] Move from our mailing lists and use Discourse instead

> On 3 Mar 2017, at 22:20, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> https://blog.discourse.org/2016/03/free-discourse-forum-hosting-for-community-friendly-github-projects/
> They offer free hosting to open source projects if the repo has more than
> 30 contributors and 2000+ stars.
>
> We have 55 contributors and 214 stars. We could make a campaign to get more
> stars :)

It could be interesting but I think we'd be better off hosting it ourselves since that allows us more control: plugins we install, config, etc.

Now it would certainly relieve us from some maintenance such as upgrades!

A campaign to get more stars wouldn't hurt anyway ;)

> On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 11:18 AM, Marius Dumitru Florea <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> +1 to try it out.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Marius
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 1:18 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi devs,
>>>
>>> I’m proposing to vote for moving away from our users and devs mailing
>> list
>>> and instead to use the Discourse open source tool:
>>>
>>> * Home page: http://www.discourse.org/
>>> * License: GPL v2
>>> * FAQ: http://www.discourse.org/faq/
>>> * Awesome feature list: http://www.discourse.org/about/
>>>
>>> What is especially interesting for us:
>>> * It works with mailing lists (you can receive mails and send mails to
>> the
>>> forum).
>>> * Works as a forum. BTW if you want to see a real life instance, check
>> the
>>> gradle instance at https://discuss.gradle.org/
>>>
>>> Nice things:
>>> * Works on mobile
>>> * Comprehensive API (would allow us to integrate it with xwiki.org)
>>> * Badges/user metrics
>>>
>>> So here’s my +1 to try it out and ask XWiki SAS if they could host an
>>> instance.
>>>
>>> WDYT? Do you see any negative point (I don’t ATM)? :)
>>>
>>> Please cast your votes!
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> -Vincent

Re: [VOTE] Move from our mailing lists and use Discourse instead

Paul Libbrecht-2
It looks really interesting and I trust our community governance to take an amount of advantages of it.
My +1 too.

paul

> On 01 Mar 2017, at 10:18, Marius Dumitru Florea <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> +1 to try it out.
>
> Thanks,
> Marius
>
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 1:18 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> I’m proposing to vote for moving away from our users and devs mailing list
>> and instead to use the Discourse open source tool:
>>
>> * Home page: http://www.discourse.org/
>> * License: GPL v2
>> * FAQ: http://www.discourse.org/faq/
>> * Awesome feature list: http://www.discourse.org/about/
>>
>> What is especially interesting for us:
>> * It works with mailing lists (you can receive mails and send mails to the
>> forum).
>> * Works as a forum. BTW if you want to see a real life instance, check the
>> gradle instance at https://discuss.gradle.org/
>>
>> Nice things:
>> * Works on mobile
>> * Comprehensive API (would allow us to integrate it with xwiki.org)
>> * Badges/user metrics
>>
>> So here’s my +1 to try it out and ask XWiki SAS if they could host an
>> instance.
>>
>> WDYT? Do you see any negative point (I don’t ATM)? :)
>>
>> Please cast your votes!

Re: [VOTE] Move from our mailing lists and use Discourse instead

Status
======

So I’ve progressed in this with Kevin (who’s an infra admin at XWiki SAS).

We now have an instance ready.

What’s left to do:

* Configure reply by email. I’m currently trying to do that with Kevin. The principle is that you receive mail from discourse and we set in discourse a reply-to email address so that when you reply to the mail, it goes to a mail inbox somewhere (some gmail account for example). Then discourse is configured to check (using POP3, they don’t seem to support IMAP ATM) that inbox and to process mails found in it and update the topics. Note that even if we don’t configure this, users can still receive emails for all posts but they will just need to click on the link to go the webpage and answer. It’s not the end of the world either.

* Decide on the migration path. See below

* Decide if we migrate only users or also devs. FTM I suggest that we do only users and see how it goes and if we’re happy we can decide to move devs data too.

Migration Path
============

I propose the following:

* On a given date that we advertise on the users list, we configure this list to be readonly and not allow more posts. We invite users to register on our discourse instance and use that.
* We create a markmail user in our discourse instance and configure it to receive all posts. We set its email address to be [hidden email] and we configure the users list to accept mail from our discourse instance. This allows to keep having a place where we can search in all places by using markmail. Incidentally this also means that nabble and gmane will continue to archive our mails which is nice.

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 3:43 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Status
> ======
>
> So I’ve progressed in this with Kevin (who’s an infra admin at XWiki SAS).
>
> We now have an instance ready.
>
> What’s left to do:
>
> * Configure reply by email. I’m currently trying to do that with Kevin. The principle is that you receive mail from discourse and we set in discourse a reply-to email address so that when you reply to the mail, it goes to a mail inbox somewhere (some gmail account for example). Then discourse is configured to check (using POP3, they don’t seem to support IMAP ATM) that inbox and to process mails found in it and update the topics. Note that even if we don’t configure this, users can still receive emails for all posts but they will just need to click on the link to go the webpage and answer. It’s not the end of the world either.

Does it also support starting new discussion by mail or only reply ?

> [...]

>> So I’ve progressed in this with Kevin (who’s an infra admin at XWiki SAS).
>>
>> We now have an instance ready.
>>
>> What’s left to do:
>>
>> * Configure reply by email. I’m currently trying to do that with Kevin. The principle is that you receive mail from discourse and we set in discourse a reply-to email address so that when you reply to the mail, it goes to a mail inbox somewhere (some gmail account for example). Then discourse is configured to check (using POP3, they don’t seem to support IMAP ATM) that inbox and to process mails found in it and update the topics. Note that even if we don’t configure this, users can still receive emails for all posts but they will just need to click on the link to go the webpage and answer. It’s not the end of the world either.
>
> Does it also support starting new discussion by mail or only reply ?

It seems so:

" You can start topics, reply to topics, have a mailing list mode where you get an email per post on the forum or post on the category.

Longer term we plan to add some "secret commands" that allow you to like a post or flag a post via email.

Overall mailing list parity is pretty high here and we support a bunch of stuff mailing lists do not.”

From https://meta.discourse.org/t/start-a-new-topic-via-email/12477/6

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 3:53 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 28 Apr 2017, at 15:49, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 3:43 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Status
>>> ======
>>>
>>> So I’ve progressed in this with Kevin (who’s an infra admin at XWiki SAS).
>>>
>>> We now have an instance ready.
>>>
>>> What’s left to do:
>>>
>>> * Configure reply by email. I’m currently trying to do that with Kevin. The principle is that you receive mail from discourse and we set in discourse a reply-to email address so that when you reply to the mail, it goes to a mail inbox somewhere (some gmail account for example). Then discourse is configured to check (using POP3, they don’t seem to support IMAP ATM) that inbox and to process mails found in it and update the topics. Note that even if we don’t configure this, users can still receive emails for all posts but they will just need to click on the link to go the webpage and answer. It’s not the end of the world either.
>>
>> Does it also support starting new discussion by mail or only reply ?
>
> It seems so:
>
> " You can start topics, reply to topics, have a mailing list mode where you get an email per post on the forum or post on the category.
>
> Longer term we plan to add some "secret commands" that allow you to like a post or flag a post via email.
>
> Overall mailing list parity is pretty high here and we support a bunch of stuff mailing lists do not.”
>
> From https://meta.discourse.org/t/start-a-new-topic-via-email/12477/6

In that case another idea for the migration would be to make Discourse
monitor [hidden email] instead of making it readonly.

>>> * Decide on the migration path. See below
>>>
>>> * Decide if we migrate only users or also devs. FTM I suggest that we do only users and see how it goes and if we’re happy we can decide to move devs data too.
>>>
>>> Migration Path
>>> ============
>>>
>>> I propose the following:
>>>
>>> * On a given date that we advertise on the users list, we configure this list to be readonly and not allow more posts. We invite users to register on our discourse instance and use that.
>>> * We create a markmail user in our discourse instance and configure it to receive all posts. We set its email address to be [hidden email] and we configure the users list to accept mail from our discourse instance. This allows to keep having a place where we can search in all places by using markmail. Incidentally this also means that nabble and gmane will continue to archive our mails which is nice.
>>>
>>> WDYT?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> -Vincent

>> --
>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: [VOTE] Move from our mailing lists and use Discourse instead

> On 28 Apr 2017, at 15:53, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 28 Apr 2017, at 15:49, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 3:43 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Status
>>> ======
>>>
>>> So I’ve progressed in this with Kevin (who’s an infra admin at XWiki SAS).
>>>
>>> We now have an instance ready.
>>>
>>> What’s left to do:
>>>
>>> * Configure reply by email. I’m currently trying to do that with Kevin. The principle is that you receive mail from discourse and we set in discourse a reply-to email address so that when you reply to the mail, it goes to a mail inbox somewhere (some gmail account for example). Then discourse is configured to check (using POP3, they don’t seem to support IMAP ATM) that inbox and to process mails found in it and update the topics. Note that even if we don’t configure this, users can still receive emails for all posts but they will just need to click on the link to go the webpage and answer. It’s not the end of the world either.
>>
>> Does it also support starting new discussion by mail or only reply ?
>
> It seems so:
>
> " You can start topics, reply to topics, have a mailing list mode where you get an email per post on the forum or post on the category.
>
> Longer term we plan to add some "secret commands" that allow you to like a post or flag a post via email.
>
> Overall mailing list parity is pretty high here and we support a bunch of stuff mailing lists do not.”
>
> From https://meta.discourse.org/t/start-a-new-topic-via-email/12477/6

And https://meta.discourse.org/t/start-a-new-topic-via-email/12477/22?u=vmassol

(apparently each category can provide an email address)

>>> * Decide on the migration path. See below
>>>
>>> * Decide if we migrate only users or also devs. FTM I suggest that we do only users and see how it goes and if we’re happy we can decide to move devs data too.
>>>
>>> Migration Path
>>> ============
>>>
>>> I propose the following:
>>>
>>> * On a given date that we advertise on the users list, we configure this list to be readonly and not allow more posts. We invite users to register on our discourse instance and use that.
>>> * We create a markmail user in our discourse instance and configure it to receive all posts. We set its email address to be [hidden email] and we configure the users list to accept mail from our discourse instance. This allows to keep having a place where we can search in all places by using markmail. Incidentally this also means that nabble and gmane will continue to archive our mails which is nice.
>>>
>>> WDYT?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> -Vincent

>> --
>> Thomas Mortagne

Re: [VOTE] Move from our mailing lists and use Discourse instead

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 4:55 PM, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 3:53 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> On 28 Apr 2017, at 15:49, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

> SAS).

> Kevin. The principle is that you receive mail from discourse and we set in
> discourse a reply-to email address so that when you reply to the mail, it
> goes to a mail inbox somewhere (some gmail account for example). Then
> discourse is configured to check (using POP3, they don’t seem to support
> IMAP ATM) that inbox and to process mails found in it and update the
> topics. Note that even if we don’t configure this, users can still receive
> emails for all posts but they will just need to click on the link to go the
> webpage and answer. It’s not the end of the world either.
> >>
> >> Does it also support starting new discussion by mail or only reply ?
> >
> > It seems so:
> >
> > " You can start topics, reply to topics, have a mailing list mode where
> you get an email per post on the forum or post on the category.
> >
> > Longer term we plan to add some "secret commands" that allow you to like
> a post or flag a post via email.
> >
> > Overall mailing list parity is pretty high here and we support a bunch
> of stuff mailing lists do not.”
> >
> > From https://meta.discourse.org/t/start-a-new-topic-via-email/12477/6
>
> In that case another idea for the migration would be to make Discourse
> monitor [hidden email] instead of making it readonly.

Not sure the best idea is to have 2 Discourses, but we can surely create a
special category for users. Mailinglist doesn't allow categorization, so we
don't need a 1-1 translation from mailinglist to discourse.

> do only users and see how it goes and if we’re happy we can decide to move
> devs data too.

> and there’s not a perfect mapping. We can always do that in the future if
> someone really wants to work on that.
> to receive all posts. We set its email address to be [hidden email] and
> we configure the users list to accept mail from our discourse instance.
> This allows to keep having a place where we can search in all places by
> using markmail. Incidentally this also means that nabble and gmane will
> continue to archive our mails which is nice.

> list and instead to use the Discourse open source tool:

> to the forum).
> check the gradle instance at https://discuss.gradle.org/

> instance.

> >> --
> >> Thomas Mortagne

Re: [VOTE] Move from our mailing lists and use Discourse instead

> On 28 Apr 2017, at 15:55, Thomas Mortagne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 3:53 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Does it also support starting new discussion by mail or only reply ?
>>
>> It seems so:
>>
>> " You can start topics, reply to topics, have a mailing list mode where you get an email per post on the forum or post on the category.
>>
>> Longer term we plan to add some "secret commands" that allow you to like a post or flag a post via email.
>>
>> Overall mailing list parity is pretty high here and we support a bunch of stuff mailing lists do not.”
>>
>> From https://meta.discourse.org/t/start-a-new-topic-via-email/12477/6
>
> In that case another idea for the migration would be to make Discourse
> monitor [hidden email] instead of making it readonly.

I thought about this but AFAIU this wouldn’t work.

The email address used to reply to posts is of the form:

For example: [hidden email]

So I don’t think it would work to POP [hidden email] (and we don’t have a POP-able inbox for users mail either AFAIK).

>>> --
>>> Thomas Mortagne

12