Quantcast

[VOTE] Move from our mailing lists and use Discourse instead

[VOTE] Move from our mailing lists and use Discourse instead

I’m proposing to vote for moving away from our users and devs mailing list and instead to use the Discourse open source tool:

* Home page: http://www.discourse.org/
* License: GPL v2
* FAQ: http://www.discourse.org/faq/
* Awesome feature list: http://www.discourse.org/about/

What is especially interesting for us:
* It works with mailing lists (you can receive mails and send mails to the forum).
* Works as a forum. BTW if you want to see a real life instance, check the gradle instance at https://discuss.gradle.org/

Nice things:
* Works on mobile
* Comprehensive API (would allow us to integrate it with xwiki.org)
* Badges/user metrics

So here’s my +1 to try it out and ask XWiki SAS if they could host an instance.

WDYT? Do you see any negative point (I don’t ATM)? :)

Please cast your votes!

Re: [VOTE] Move from our mailing lists and use Discourse instead

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
I guess we can try it.

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 1:18 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> I’m proposing to vote for moving away from our users and devs mailing list
> and instead to use the Discourse open source tool:
>
> * Home page: http://www.discourse.org/
> * License: GPL v2
> * FAQ: http://www.discourse.org/faq/
> * Awesome feature list: http://www.discourse.org/about/
>
> What is especially interesting for us:
> * It works with mailing lists (you can receive mails and send mails to the
> forum).
> * Works as a forum. BTW if you want to see a real life instance, check the
> gradle instance at https://discuss.gradle.org/
>
> Nice things:
> * Works on mobile
> * Comprehensive API (would allow us to integrate it with xwiki.org)
> * Badges/user metrics
>
> So here’s my +1 to try it out and ask XWiki SAS if they could host an
> instance.
>
> WDYT? Do you see any negative point (I don’t ATM)? :)
>
> Please cast your votes!

Re: [VOTE] Move from our mailing lists and use Discourse instead

Keith Davis
FWIW, I am an admin over a private Discourse forum as far as forum software
goes, it's pretty darn good and as Vincent said, I do use the mailing list
option, so most of the time I just keep up to date via email, but then have
the power discussion options of the forum when needed.

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 5:45 AM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I guess we can try it.
>
> Thanks,
> Caty
>
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 1:18 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > I’m proposing to vote for moving away from our users and devs mailing
> list
> > and instead to use the Discourse open source tool:
> >
> > * Home page: http://www.discourse.org/
> > * License: GPL v2
> > * FAQ: http://www.discourse.org/faq/
> > * Awesome feature list: http://www.discourse.org/about/
> >
> > What is especially interesting for us:
> > * It works with mailing lists (you can receive mails and send mails to
> the
> > forum).
> > * Works as a forum. BTW if you want to see a real life instance, check
> the
> > gradle instance at https://discuss.gradle.org/
> >
> > Nice things:
> > * Works on mobile
> > * Comprehensive API (would allow us to integrate it with xwiki.org)
> > * Badges/user metrics
> >
> > So here’s my +1 to try it out and ask XWiki SAS if they could host an
> > instance.
> >
> > WDYT? Do you see any negative point (I don’t ATM)? :)
> >
> > Please cast your votes!

Keith Davis
214-906-5183

Re: [VOTE] Move from our mailing lists and use Discourse instead

Denis Gervalle-2
+1, looks awesome and can be SSO integrated I hope it will give us the best of both worlds. I wonder if we can also reintegrate the archives.

--
Denis Gervalle
SOFTEC sa - CEO

[hidden email]> wrote:

> I guess we can try it.
>
> Thanks,
> Caty
>
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 1:18 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > I’m proposing to vote for moving away from our users and devs mailing
> list
> > and instead to use the Discourse open source tool:
> >
> > * Home page: http://www.discourse.org/
> > * License: GPL v2
> > * FAQ: http://www.discourse.org/faq/
> > * Awesome feature list: http://www.discourse.org/about/
> >
> > What is especially interesting for us:
> > * It works with mailing lists (you can receive mails and send mails to
> the
> > forum).
> > * Works as a forum. BTW if you want to see a real life instance, check
> the
> > gradle instance at https://discuss.gradle.org/
> >
> > Nice things:
> > * Works on mobile
> > * Comprehensive API (would allow us to integrate it with xwiki.org)
> > * Badges/user metrics
> >
> > So here’s my +1 to try it out and ask XWiki SAS if they could host an
> > instance.
> >
> > WDYT? Do you see any negative point (I don’t ATM)? :)
> >
> > Please cast your votes!

Keith Davis
214-906-5183

Re: [VOTE] Move from our mailing lists and use Discourse instead

Eduard Moraru
Hi,

Sounds interesting. Hope it won`t be complicated to host it ourselves and
that we won`t have service interruptions due to hosting problems.

Also, it would be interesting if it would also accept guest posts (i.e. no
registration just to ask a question).

+1 from my side to try it out.

Thanks,
Eduard

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 3:55 PM, Denis Gervalle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1, looks awesome and can be SSO integrated I hope it will give us the
> best of both worlds. I wonder if we can also reintegrate the archives.
>
> --
> Denis Gervalle
> SOFTEC sa - CEO
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 13:43, Keith Davis <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> FWIW, I am an admin over a private Discourse forum as far as forum software
> option, so most of the time I just keep up to date via email, but then have
> the power discussion options of the forum when needed.
>
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 5:45 AM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I guess we can try it.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Caty
> >
> > On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 1:18 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi devs,
> > >
> > > I’m proposing to vote for moving away from our users and devs mailing
> > list
> > > and instead to use the Discourse open source tool:
> > >
> > > * Home page: http://www.discourse.org/
> > > * License: GPL v2
> > > * FAQ: http://www.discourse.org/faq/
> > > * Awesome feature list: http://www.discourse.org/about/
> > >
> > > What is especially interesting for us:
> > > * It works with mailing lists (you can receive mails and send mails to
> > the
> > > forum).
> > > * Works as a forum. BTW if you want to see a real life instance, check
> > the
> > > gradle instance at https://discuss.gradle.org/
> > >
> > > Nice things:
> > > * Works on mobile
> > > * Comprehensive API (would allow us to integrate it with xwiki.org)
> > > * Badges/user metrics
> > >
> > > So here’s my +1 to try it out and ask XWiki SAS if they could host an
> > > instance.
> > >
> > > WDYT? Do you see any negative point (I don’t ATM)? :)
> > >
> > > Please cast your votes!
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > -Vincent
> > >

> --
> Keith Davis
> 214-906-5183

Re: [VOTE] Move from our mailing lists and use Discourse instead

Looked over the features, seems to cover most of my concerns except one:
migrating the current mailing list archives (at least I couldn't see it
in the features list). Do we care about that? Can it be scripted using
the API?

Anyway, +1.

On 02/24/2017 06:18 AM, Vincent Massol wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> I’m proposing to vote for moving away from our users and devs mailing list and instead to use the Discourse open source tool:
>
> * Home page: http://www.discourse.org/
> * License: GPL v2
> * FAQ: http://www.discourse.org/faq/
> * Awesome feature list: http://www.discourse.org/about/
>
> What is especially interesting for us:
> * It works with mailing lists (you can receive mails and send mails to the forum).
> * Works as a forum. BTW if you want to see a real life instance, check the gradle instance at https://discuss.gradle.org/
>
> Nice things:
> * Works on mobile
> * Comprehensive API (would allow us to integrate it with xwiki.org)
> * Badges/user metrics
>
> So here’s my +1 to try it out and ask XWiki SAS if they could host an instance.
>
> WDYT? Do you see any negative point (I don’t ATM)? :)
>
> Please cast your votes!

http://purl.org/net/sergiu

Re: [VOTE] Move from our mailing lists and use Discourse instead

Interesting plugin:
* Solved plugin: https://meta.discourse.org/t/discourse-solved-accepted-answer-plugin/30155

@Sergiu: here’s a script to import from mailman mbox files: https://meta.discourse.org/t/import-mailman-archives-into-discourse/18537/9

However I’m not sure if it’s a good thing or not, see https://meta.discourse.org/t/import-mailman-archives-into-discourse/18537/2. We could try and see what it gives us.

> On 24 Feb 2017, at 12:18, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi devs,
>
> I’m proposing to vote for moving away from our users and devs mailing list and instead to use the Discourse open source tool:
>
> * Home page: http://www.discourse.org/
> * License: GPL v2
> * FAQ: http://www.discourse.org/faq/
> * Awesome feature list: http://www.discourse.org/about/
>
> What is especially interesting for us:
> * It works with mailing lists (you can receive mails and send mails to the forum).
> * Works as a forum. BTW if you want to see a real life instance, check the gradle instance at https://discuss.gradle.org/
>
> Nice things:
> * Works on mobile
> * Comprehensive API (would allow us to integrate it with xwiki.org)
> * Badges/user metrics
>
> So here’s my +1 to try it out and ask XWiki SAS if they could host an instance.
>
> WDYT? Do you see any negative point (I don’t ATM)? :)
>
> Please cast your votes!

Re: [VOTE] Move from our mailing lists and use Discourse instead

Guillaume Delhumeau
+1

> Interesting plugin:
> * Solved plugin: https://meta.discourse.org/t/discourse-solved-accepted-
> answer-plugin/30155
>
> @Sergiu: here’s a script to import from mailman mbox files:
> https://meta.discourse.org/t/import-mailman-archives-into-
> discourse/18537/9
>
> However I’m not sure if it’s a good thing or not, see
> https://meta.discourse.org/t/import-mailman-archives-into-
> discourse/18537/2. We could try and see what it gives us.

> > On 24 Feb 2017, at 12:18, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > I’m proposing to vote for moving away from our users and devs mailing
> list and instead to use the Discourse open source tool:
> >
> > * Home page: http://www.discourse.org/
> > * License: GPL v2
> > * FAQ: http://www.discourse.org/faq/
> > * Awesome feature list: http://www.discourse.org/about/
> >
> > What is especially interesting for us:
> > * It works with mailing lists (you can receive mails and send mails to
> the forum).
> > * Works as a forum. BTW if you want to see a real life instance, check
> the gradle instance at https://discuss.gradle.org/
> >
> > Nice things:
> > * Works on mobile
> > * Comprehensive API (would allow us to integrate it with xwiki.org)
> > * Badges/user metrics
> >
> > So here’s my +1 to try it out and ask XWiki SAS if they could host an
> instance.
> >
> > WDYT? Do you see any negative point (I don’t ATM)? :)
> >
> > Please cast your votes!

Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [VOTE] Move from our mailing lists and use Discourse instead

Looks good. As long as I can continue using it as a mailing list and
not forced to go to some forum to know if there is new messages I'm
fine.

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 10:02 AM, Guillaume Delhumeau
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1

>> Interesting plugin:
>> * Solved plugin: https://meta.discourse.org/t/discourse-solved-accepted-
>> answer-plugin/30155
>>
>> @Sergiu: here’s a script to import from mailman mbox files:
>> https://meta.discourse.org/t/import-mailman-archives-into-
>> discourse/18537/9
>>
>> However I’m not sure if it’s a good thing or not, see
>> https://meta.discourse.org/t/import-mailman-archives-into-
>> discourse/18537/2. We could try and see what it gives us.

>> > On 24 Feb 2017, at 12:18, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi devs,
>> >
>> > I’m proposing to vote for moving away from our users and devs mailing
>> list and instead to use the Discourse open source tool:
>> >
>> > * Home page: http://www.discourse.org/
>> > * License: GPL v2
>> > * FAQ: http://www.discourse.org/faq/
>> > * Awesome feature list: http://www.discourse.org/about/
>> >
>> > What is especially interesting for us:
>> > * It works with mailing lists (you can receive mails and send mails to
>> the forum).
>> > * Works as a forum. BTW if you want to see a real life instance, check
>> the gradle instance at https://discuss.gradle.org/
>> >
>> > Nice things:
>> > * Works on mobile
>> > * Comprehensive API (would allow us to integrate it with xwiki.org)
>> > * Badges/user metrics
>> >
>> > So here’s my +1 to try it out and ask XWiki SAS if they could host an
>> instance.
>> >
>> > WDYT? Do you see any negative point (I don’t ATM)? :)
>> >
>> > Please cast your votes!
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > -Vincent
>> >

> --
> Guillaume Delhumeau ([hidden email])
> Research & Development Engineer at XWiki SAS
> Committer on the XWiki.org project

Re: [VOTE] Move from our mailing lists and use Discourse instead

+1 to try it out.

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 1:18 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> I’m proposing to vote for moving away from our users and devs mailing list
> and instead to use the Discourse open source tool:
>
> * Home page: http://www.discourse.org/
> * License: GPL v2
> * FAQ: http://www.discourse.org/faq/
> * Awesome feature list: http://www.discourse.org/about/
>
> What is especially interesting for us:
> * It works with mailing lists (you can receive mails and send mails to the
> forum).
> * Works as a forum. BTW if you want to see a real life instance, check the
> gradle instance at https://discuss.gradle.org/
>
> Nice things:
> * Works on mobile
> * Comprehensive API (would allow us to integrate it with xwiki.org)
> * Badges/user metrics
>
> So here’s my +1 to try it out and ask XWiki SAS if they could host an
> instance.
>
> WDYT? Do you see any negative point (I don’t ATM)? :)
>
> Please cast your votes!

Re: [VOTE] Move from our mailing lists and use Discourse instead

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)
https://blog.discourse.org/2016/03/free-discourse-forum-hosting-for-community-friendly-github-projects/
They offer free hosting to open source projects if the repo has more than
30 contributors and 2000+ stars.

We have 55 contributors and 214 stars. We could make a campaign to get more
stars :)

On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 11:18 AM, Marius Dumitru Florea <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 to try it out.
>
> Thanks,
> Marius
>
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 1:18 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > I’m proposing to vote for moving away from our users and devs mailing
> list
> > and instead to use the Discourse open source tool:
> >
> > * Home page: http://www.discourse.org/
> > * License: GPL v2
> > * FAQ: http://www.discourse.org/faq/
> > * Awesome feature list: http://www.discourse.org/about/
> >
> > What is especially interesting for us:
> > * It works with mailing lists (you can receive mails and send mails to
> the
> > forum).
> > * Works as a forum. BTW if you want to see a real life instance, check
> the
> > gradle instance at https://discuss.gradle.org/
> >
> > Nice things:
> > * Works on mobile
> > * Comprehensive API (would allow us to integrate it with xwiki.org)
> > * Badges/user metrics
> >
> > So here’s my +1 to try it out and ask XWiki SAS if they could host an
> > instance.
> >
> > WDYT? Do you see any negative point (I don’t ATM)? :)
> >
> > Please cast your votes!

Re: [VOTE] Move from our mailing lists and use Discourse instead

> On 3 Mar 2017, at 22:20, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> https://blog.discourse.org/2016/03/free-discourse-forum-hosting-for-community-friendly-github-projects/
> They offer free hosting to open source projects if the repo has more than
> 30 contributors and 2000+ stars.
>
> We have 55 contributors and 214 stars. We could make a campaign to get more
> stars :)

It could be interesting but I think we'd be better off hosting it ourselves since that allows us more control: plugins we install, config, etc.

Now it would certainly relieve us from some maintenance such as upgrades!

A campaign to get more stars wouldn't hurt anyway ;)

> On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 11:18 AM, Marius Dumitru Florea <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> +1 to try it out.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Marius
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 1:18 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi devs,
>>>
>>> I’m proposing to vote for moving away from our users and devs mailing
>> list
>>> and instead to use the Discourse open source tool:
>>>
>>> * Home page: http://www.discourse.org/
>>> * License: GPL v2
>>> * FAQ: http://www.discourse.org/faq/
>>> * Awesome feature list: http://www.discourse.org/about/
>>>
>>> What is especially interesting for us:
>>> * It works with mailing lists (you can receive mails and send mails to
>> the
>>> forum).
>>> * Works as a forum. BTW if you want to see a real life instance, check
>> the
>>> gradle instance at https://discuss.gradle.org/
>>>
>>> Nice things:
>>> * Works on mobile
>>> * Comprehensive API (would allow us to integrate it with xwiki.org)
>>> * Badges/user metrics
>>>
>>> So here’s my +1 to try it out and ask XWiki SAS if they could host an
>>> instance.
>>>
>>> WDYT? Do you see any negative point (I don’t ATM)? :)
>>>
>>> Please cast your votes!
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> -Vincent

Re: [VOTE] Move from our mailing lists and use Discourse instead

Paul Libbrecht-2
It looks really interesting and I trust our community governance to take an amount of advantages of it.
My +1 too.

paul