[VOTE] Move the title field to the Document Information panel

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[VOTE] Move the title field to the Document Information panel

vmassol
Administrator
Hi,

I'd like to propose moving the title field in edit mode to the side,  
in the information panel, just before the Parent field. We have  
already parent and tags there and the title would fit nicely there.

The main reason for this is to clear up more space for the main  
content edition. It's also more consistent to put the page metadata  
together on the side (which has a lot of unused space).

Here's my +1

Thanks
-Vincent

PS: It really helps in Toucan skin to have that title field on the  
side since a major theme of Toucan is to simplify the interface and  
provide more space for the content.

_______________________________________________
devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [VOTE] Move the title field to the Document Information panel

Jean-Vincent Drean
> Hi,
>
>  The main reason for this is to clear up more space for the main
>  content edition. It's also more consistent to put the page metadata
>  together on the side (which has a lot of unused space).

+1

(Giving more space to the content is a good idea in general)

JV.
_______________________________________________
devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [VOTE] Move the title field to the Document Information panel

Thomas Mortagne
Administrator
In reply to this post by vmassol
+1

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 1:53 PM, Vincent Massol <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  I'd like to propose moving the title field in edit mode to the side,
>  in the information panel, just before the Parent field. We have
>  already parent and tags there and the title would fit nicely there.
>
>  The main reason for this is to clear up more space for the main
>  content edition. It's also more consistent to put the page metadata
>  together on the side (which has a lot of unused space).
>
>  Here's my +1
>
>  Thanks
>  -Vincent
>
>  PS: It really helps in Toucan skin to have that title field on the
>  side since a major theme of Toucan is to simplify the interface and
>  provide more space for the content.
>
>  _______________________________________________
>  devs mailing list
>  [hidden email]
>  http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/devs
>



--
Thomas Mortagne
_______________________________________________
devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [VOTE] Move the title field to the Document Information panel

Sergiu Dumitriu-2
In reply to this post by vmassol
Vincent Massol wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to propose moving the title field in edit mode to the side,  
> in the information panel, just before the Parent field. We have  
> already parent and tags there and the title would fit nicely there.
>
> The main reason for this is to clear up more space for the main  
> content edition. It's also more consistent to put the page metadata  
> together on the side (which has a lot of unused space).
>
> Here's my +1
>
> Thanks
> -Vincent
>
> PS: It really helps in Toucan skin to have that title field on the  
> side since a major theme of Toucan is to simplify the interface and  
> provide more space for the content.
>

-0

I think the title field is a bit more important than the other metadata
fields, and it deserves some more space. It also encourages people to
write document titles, thus giving more structure to the data.

I'd say it should stay where it is. More, I say it should be
automatically inserted in the content, like it happens in MediaWiki, and
it should have a greater importance in the Lucene result score.
--
Sergiu Dumitriu
http://purl.org/net/sergiu/
_______________________________________________
devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [VOTE] Move the title field to the Document Information panel

Guillaume Lerouge
Hi,

-0

I think the title field is a bit more important than the other metadata
fields, and it deserves some more space. It also encourages people to
write document titles, thus giving more structure to the data.

I'd say it should stay where it is. More, I say it should be
automatically inserted in the content, like it happens in MediaWiki, and
it should have a greater importance in the Lucene result score.

I agree with Sergiu on the fact that a title is more important than other kind of document metadata. From my POW, automatically displaying a document's title would be more interesting than putting it away and in fine relying on 1 headers to dislay page titles.

In fact, in order to lake the title field more relevant I would even put it closer to the content than it is now, between the tabs and the textarea instead of above the tabs in order to make it more relevant.

WDYT ?

Guillaume

 

_______________________________________________
devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [VOTE] Move the title field to the Document Information panel

Jerome Velociter
> Hi,
>
>> -0
>>
>> I think the title field is a bit more important than the other metadata
>> fields, and it deserves some more space. It also encourages people to
>> write document titles, thus giving more structure to the data.
>>
>> I'd say it should stay where it is. More, I say it should be
>> automatically inserted in the content, like it happens in MediaWiki, and
>> it should have a greater importance in the Lucene result score.
>
>
> I agree with Sergiu on the fact that a title is more important than other
> kind of document metadata. From my POW, automatically displaying a
> document's title would be more interesting than putting it away and in
> fine
> relying on 1 headers to dislay page titles.
>
> In fact, in order to lake the title field more relevant I would even put
> it
> closer to the content than it is now, between the tabs and the textarea
> instead of above the tabs in order to make it more relevant.
>
> WDYT ?

I'm 0 too, IMHO it would make it both less visible and less usable
(smaller field). I agree with Sergiu & Guillaume's : we need to find ways
to encourage users to enter titles.

Jerome.

>
> Guillaume
> _______________________________________________
> devs mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/devs
>


_______________________________________________
devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/devs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [VOTE] Move the title field to the Document Information panel

vmassol
Administrator
In reply to this post by Sergiu Dumitriu-2
Hi Sergiu,

On Feb 15, 2008, at 2:11 AM, Sergiu Dumitriu wrote:

[snip]

> I think the title field is a bit more important than the other  
> metadata
> fields, and it deserves some more space. It also encourages people to
> write document titles, thus giving more structure to the data.

I'm not sure why writing document titles explicitely is a good thing.  
I view it as an impediment. When I write docs with XWiki I don't have  
to bother with titles since the title matches my level 1 title. It's a  
more natural flow when writing documentation.

I think what we have in xwiki is better than what exist in other wikis  
where users have to explicitely enter titles.

However there are some cases when the computed title isn't right (for  
example when you put some velocity in titles or when titles are  
computed as part of some scripting construct). For those odd cases  
it's good to have a title field override and it makes sense to have  
that in the metadata.

> I'd say it should stay where it is. More, I say it should be
> automatically inserted in the content, like it happens in MediaWiki,

I don't like this too much. While it's good to be consistent with  
other wikis I think xwiki is more advanced in this domain so it's pity  
to loose that.

The fact that xwiki can auto-generate valid titles in 99% of cases is  
a really big plus IMO. The other wikis will use the document name as  
the title I guess which is way less good than what we have.

> and
> it should have a greater importance in the Lucene result score.

This is agree :)

Thanks
-Vincent
_______________________________________________
devs mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.xwiki.org/mailman/listinfo/devs